121 replies to this topic

#1 Meathead

Meathead

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

at the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, the captains of this team must change

i like pominville as a player but it was a huge mistake making him captain. these teams have lacked just about everything you want since he was given the C. he certainly has done nothing to keep the team from going into their pathetic tailspin

stafford as an A i even worse. im not a stafford hater but its obvious he is never going to make anybody else do a damned thing. he cant even play up to his contract as it is. hes done exactly one impressive thing in his career, and thats time a period of stellar play perfectly with his contract expiration status. if he wasnt paid so much id like him as a role player, but no matter what he doesnt deserve to be an assistant captain

vanek as an A isnt bad but he should never be captain imo. he has matured dramatically since he came to the majors, you may recall he was a massively immature train wreck of a talent for quite a while. now at least he usually says the right things, but i just dont see him being a main on/off ice leader either. under a strong captain hed be ok but even with his current level of maturity i dont think he would ever be captain material

idk who else they could possibly give it to but they really need to strip the first two and just let them be role players if they are going to stay on the team

#2 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Battista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Contrast Pominville with an effective captain like Toews of Chicago.  He is aggressive sets the tone on the ice,  backs the other players up in scrums.  

Pominville on the other hand is almost invisible in his role as Captain.  He almost always disappears when there's any trouble on the ice.   This is a soft team built by Darcy regier and coached Appropriately soft by Lindy Ruff and now by Ruffton so I suppose he's a perfect fit For a Lindy Darcy team.

#3 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

I see a change in captain at this time to be about as useful as the coaching change was.  I said it long before I ever posted on this board that  I wanted  Regier, Ruff and the rest of the coaching staff gone after we bowed out to Boston in the first round a few years ago.  It was obvious then that we weren't built to contend for a cup and I had little faith in their vision.  We've changed one thing, when it was too late to bring about effective change this year.  The new GM may have to replace the scouting department for all I know, or give them a different directive on what we want in a player.  Changing the captain is irrelevant at this time IMO.

Edited by Grumpy, 18 March 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#4 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

Just strip them all of their letters, and go captainless. No one deserves it right now.

If that's even allowed.

#5 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

:angry:

#6 obstructedorangeseats

obstructedorangeseats

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

Can't give it to him now, but I'm hoping Hodgson eventually earns the C.

#7 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

Jumbo Joe not as old as I thought and the Sharks are looking to "get a fresh coat of paint." Pommers and a top 4 Dman? What would it take? Sabres need a culture change with a new captain who is NOT here yet. Give Hodgson the A along with Foligno or Ott.

http://sports.yahoo....hl/players/1600

#8 Who Else?

Who Else?

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

How about the few players that actually act like they give a damn this year.  Ott, Weber, Kaleta

#9 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

John Scott for captain.  He can punch people.

#10 obstructedorangeseats

obstructedorangeseats

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 19 March 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

John Scott for captain.  He can punch people.

The 'c' stands for 'concussion', amirite?!?

#11 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,084 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostCallawaySabres, on 19 March 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

Jumbo Joe not as old as I thought and the Sharks are looking to "get a fresh coat of paint." Pommers and a top 4 Dman? What would it take? Sabres need a culture change with a new captain who is NOT here yet. Give Hodgson the A along with Foligno or Ott.

http://sports.yahoo....hl/players/1600

So, we want the captain of a team that perennially disappoints and under performs in the playoffs to key our culture change?  

On the bright side, Taro would have one hell of an entertaining rant if we ever parted with significant pieces to acquire Thornton :lol:

#12 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 19 March 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

So, we want the captain of a team that perennially disappoints and under performs in the playoffs to key our culture change?  

On the bright side, Taro would have one hell of an entertaining rant if we ever parted with significant pieces to acquire Thornton :lol:

I don't see many significant pieces on this team right now. They need someone for 2-3 years until Hodgson is ready to take over....

#13 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,595 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostDouble-J, on 19 March 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

Can't give it to him now, but I'm hoping Hodgson eventually earns the C.

There have been some successful teams with youngsters wearing the C as of late.

#14 Keeper John

Keeper John

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Steve Ott..he knows how to "set the tone"

#15 obstructedorangeseats

obstructedorangeseats

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostEleven, on 19 March 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

There have been some successful teams with youngsters wearing the C as of late.

True, and I'd be in favor of it here. I just don't see Pominville being stripped of the C as long as he's on the team.

#16 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostMeathead, on 18 March 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

the captains of this team must change

idk who else they could possibly give it to

Shouldn't change captains without first establishing who'd be a better captain.

In 14 replying posts, the only Sabre names that came up were Hodgson, Foligno, Ott, Weber, Kaleta, and Scott.  I'm not convinced.

Maybe Hodgson in a few years.  Ott has the heart and the work ethic and is probably great in the locker room, but at game time, his forte is talking at the other team, not leading his own team.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 19 March 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#17 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 19 March 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Shouldn't change change captains without first establishing who'd be a better captain.

In 14 replying posts, the only Sabre names that came up were Hodgson, Foligno, Ott, Weber, Kaleta, and Scott.  I'm not convinced.

Maybe Hodgson in a few years.  Ott has the heart and the work ethic and is probably great in the locker room, but at game time, his forte is talking at the other team, not leading his own team.

This.

#18 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,084 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Shouldn't change change captains without first establishing who'd be a better captain.

In addition to this, shouldn't change captains without having a permanent coach in place and having some semblance of an idea of which players are in the team's long term plans.

#19 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Well then, just sew a 'C' onto Rolstons jacket.

#20 Meathead

Meathead

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

i didnt mean to imply they had to change now. i just dont think these guys, esp pom and staff, are any kind of leaders you want for a hockey team

#21 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

Two goals tonight might dispute your view.

View PostMeathead, on 19 March 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

i didnt mean to imply they had to change now. i just dont think these guys, esp pom and staff, are any kind of leaders you want for a hockey team

I think it would be a bit nasty and an affront to Pommer to take the C away.  Staf, on the other hand, never really deserved it and hasn't done anything to keep it.  I say take the A away from him and give it to Ott.

#22 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,786 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

View PostMeathead, on 19 March 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Easy.  Trade 'em both.  Get a center or two back in return.  Big Joe wouldn't be terrible.  He'd certainly help the anemic power play and would be a nice center for Vanek.  He has a few years left in him and hopefully in a few years Grigo will be ready for prime time.  B-)

#23 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:03 AM

Ott "leads by example" much better than Pominville does.  Ott wont ever be afraid to speak his mind to a teammate.  Let the guys that wear the 'A' talk to the refs and their team during the game.

It's been so long since the Sabres have had a team with a killer instinct.  I've had enough of it and I want our captain to embody those traits.

#24 kishoph

kishoph

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 20 March 2013 - 02:03 AM, said:

Ott "leads by example" much better than Pominville does.  Ott wont ever be afraid to speak his mind to a teammate.  Let the guys that wear the 'A' talk to the refs and their team during the game.

It's been so long since the Sabres have had a team with a killer instinct.  I've had enough of it and I want our captain to embody those traits.

I've never been a fan of giving the C to a player that is so new to the team, but I think Ott would be the kind of captain this team needs desperately. As far as upsetting Pommers by stripping him of the C, who cares, what's he gonna do, play softer or give less of an effort ? I would rather see Gerbe wear the C, (from the pressbox) than Pommers right about now.

#25 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:57 AM

View PostGrumpy, on 18 March 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

I see a change in captain at this time to be about as useful as the coaching change was.  I said it long before I ever posted on this board that  I wanted  Regier, Ruff and the rest of the coaching staff gone after we bowed out to Boston in the first round a few years ago.  It was obvious then that we weren't built to contend for a cup and I had little faith in their vision.  We've changed one thing, when it was too late to bring about effective change this year.  The new GM may have to replace the scouting department for all I know, or give them a different directive on what we want in a player.  Changing the captain is irrelevant at this time IMO.

There will be no change at GM anytime soon. New contract extension combined with ownerships firm belief in Regier is a given.
With that said, I do agree with you in that changing the Captain is a moot point.
Changing the roster is where results will be seen with this team IMHO.

#26 bills_fan_in_raleigh

bills_fan_in_raleigh

Live in Raleigh but Bleed Buffalo Sports an I hate the canes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

View PostKeeper John, on 19 March 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

Steve Ott..he knows how to "set the tone"
+10000   He is the ONLY guy on tis team worth the C.   For A's maybe Rehger and Pommers

#27 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

As a UFA I don't think they'll try to resign Regehr for next year. He may even be a good deadline move for a team wanting depth.

View PostHopefulFuture, on 20 March 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

There will be no change at GM anytime soon. New contract extension combined with ownerships firm belief in Regier is a given.
With that said, I do agree with you in that changing the Captain is a moot point.
Changing the roster is where results will be seen with this team IMHO.
  Yea, I fear yuo are right on GM, but was trying to be hopeful for the future.(Pun intended)

Edited by Grumpy, 20 March 2013 - 07:30 AM.

#28 BuffalOhio

BuffalOhio

No more reffing for me, but I still know the rules.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

View PostWho Else?, on 19 March 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

How about the few players that actually act like they give a damn this year.  Ott, Weber, Kaleta
Perfect.  Love Ott's game and Weber has stepped up solidly this year.  Kaleta, not so sure.  Give the HEART guys the letters, not just the talent guys.

View Postbills_fan_in_raleigh, on 20 March 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

+10000   He is the ONLY guy on tis team worth the C.   For A's maybe Rehger and Pommers
Regehr has 2 weeks left in his Buffalo tenure, most likely.  Possibly Pommer and Stafford, as well.

#29 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

Ott doing the work of a Captain. :lol:

Attached Files

#30 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,309 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 20 March 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

Ott doing the work of a Captain. :lol:

You gotta go to those dirty areas if you want to win.

#31 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,681 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 20 March 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

You gotta go to those dirty areas if you want to win.

That's what he, or she, said.

Or, at least something similar ... ;)

#32 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

There's something about this throwaway laugher that reinforced for me the need for the team to go in a different direction with 29. You can't take the C from him and retain him.  Obviously, if the team is in the top 8 and playing better, this sort of thing is not a problem at all. But with the team comprised the way it is, this sort of thing just seems to confirm the perception many have of this squad -- too comfortable with each other and with where they are.

“We’ve actually been telling Patty to grow up for years. He brings his Legos on the road,” said a laughing captain Jason Pominville, referring to Kaleta’s elaborate hobby collection.

http://www.buffalone.../130319055/1004

#33 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

Pommer is our biggest trade asset.  He needs to be gone by the deadline or the draft.  Shake the team up and acquire assets for the reload.

#34 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 20 March 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

“We’ve actually been telling Patty to grow up for years. He brings his Legos on the road,” said a laughing captain Jason Pominville, referring to Kaleta’s elaborate hobby collection.

#35 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 20 March 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

very, very nice. i don't know that movie as well as i should. i guess it illustrates my point to contrast newman's character's reaction with pominville's remark. or not.

in all events, the problem lies not with the hansons or with kaleta.

#36 LaFontaineToMogilny

LaFontaineToMogilny

Denim Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Who can better embody the classic Sabre Dance?

Posted Image

#37 Who Else?

Who Else?

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostLaFontaineToMogilny, on 20 March 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Posted Image

What happened to those royal blue jersey's?  Are they done?  That would be a shame.

#38 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,595 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Is that the guy who won't stick up for teammates, etc. holding off Matt Cooke?

#39 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,786 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

Posted Image

When disagreements happen, Pommer prefers to hug it out.

#40 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Mr. ref Mr ref...hurry up and get over here please!