59 replies to this topic

#1 papazoid

papazoid

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

time for a change of GM's. Darcy has had way more misses than hits. this team is pitiful. it ain't coaching.....I don't care who they bring in. the culture doesn't change until there is a new general manager.

#2 nucci

nucci

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

Do you want us to sign something....will you hand it to ownership.....?

#3 papazoid

papazoid

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

View Postnucci, on 18 March 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

Do you want us to sign something....will you hand it to ownership.....?
i'm sure they look at this forum.....but just in case , I will make sure it gets into the proper hands......Ted Black

#4 obstructedorangeseats

obstructedorangeseats

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

Petitions are so passé, if you want anything changed in Buffalo it has to be on a billboard. :P

#5 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,962 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

Attached File  493BA24F829CFDE989BA2AC0D4E6657D.png   3.97K   7 downloads

#6 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

I'll reserve judgement for this trade deadline. I expect some moves. Maybe not Miller traded etc. but trading off UFAs/Stafford and getting a lot of high picks etc.

#7 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,102 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

Signed, sealed and delivered.

#8 Wayne VanDorp

Wayne VanDorp

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

www.firedarcy.com

#9 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

I'm in. I have no reservations about where I stand on this one and I'm not worried about hurting feelings or upsetting the family atmosphere. If there truly is a hockey man in charge above DR then it will happen. Until then I have no confidence in TPs decisions as owner of this club.

#10 sicknfla

sicknfla

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

I know it would never happen but it would be great if the fans did a first period boycott. What better way to send a message than to have nobody in the stands. I don't recall anything like that happening in sports before. Pick a game, get the local sports radio guys on board, have a bunch of people in front of the FNC with signs and see what happens.  Maybe when  Black and TP look out to a near empty arena they may get the point.

#11 R_dudly

R_dudly

The Kids are making me nervous..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Count my vote, should have been him before Ruff.

#12 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

HopefulFuture

#13 papazoid

papazoid

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

darcy comments welcomed.......good or bad.....

#14 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

View Postpapazoid, on 19 March 2013 - 08:03 AM, said:

darcy comments welcomed.......good or bad.....

Well, it would serve Sabres fans to bare the following in mind when it comes to Regier:

1. He is on a bunch of NHL committees
2. He was recommended by Jeremy Jacobs, owner of the Boston Bruins with heavy ties to WNY, current chairman of the NHL Board of Governers and a large contributor of the F'N Center being built
3. A new contract extension was just given to him
4. Pegula and company obviously think very highly of him

These aren't the only points to be made, but the main ones in my mind in any event. I know many here aren't going to like to hear it, but I don't believe Regier is going anywhere any time soon, but that's just my opinion on the situation. I do believe they could bring in an assistant GM, as many have pointed out however.

Edited by HopefulFuture, 19 March 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#15 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Fire Darcy, or bring in some new office talent around him including a new Assistant GM

#16 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,797 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

Attached File  FNC Smoke.jpg   29.25K   40 downloads

Outstanding

#17 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

View Postwjag, on 19 March 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

Attachment FNC Smoke.jpg

Outstanding
Wouldn't the black smoke mean the GM is fired (dead?) and we need a new one?

Also, at this point I wish the black smoke from LOST would head over to the FN Library and clean house.

#18 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

but according to ken sawyer, Darcy regier is a "hockey genius"... ;)

#19 jaymziz

jaymziz

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

He should have been fired long ago, well before Lindy Ruff

#20 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Makin' it rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

The "torches and pitchforks" method of personnel management. So Buffalo.  "Anyone would be better than (insert name here)!!

PTR

#21 papazoid

papazoid

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 04 April 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

The "torches and pitchforks" method of personnel management. So Buffalo.  "Anyone would be better than (insert name here)!!

PTR

#1 - Rick Dudley
#2-  Don Luce
#3 - Brian Burke

all have better credentials and track record than Darcy.

#22 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,760 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 04 April 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

PTR
In year three this might be a valid point. In year 16,… not so much.

#23 ESPN Sucks

ESPN Sucks

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

Get rid of Darcy and we may become the new Islanders.

#24 sicknfla

sicknfla

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

I know I am in the minority (or maybe all by myself) but I actually want him to stay. The time to fire him was when they let Ruff go. Now that he has started this rebuild/reload they almost have to let him finish the plan. Obviously, they have all gone over the long term plan here. They are going to trust him to execute it. Again, agree he needed to be fired. However, now would be the wrong time.

Just please get me a coach that gets us excited. New core, new coach - I can live with that - for now!!

#25 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostESPN Sucks, on 04 April 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

Get rid of Darcy and we may become the new Islanders.

Darcy was groomed by the Islanders.  

Just sayin'....

#26 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Makin' it rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

View Postpapazoid, on 04 April 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

#1 - Rick Dudley
#2-  Don Luce
#3 - Brian Burke

Burke?  Seriously?

During Burke's tenure with the Leafs from November 2008 to January 2013, the team consistently failed to make the post-season and remained the only team in the League that was unable to do so following the 2004 lockout. With the Leafs, Burke amassed a record of 129-135-42.

Yes, let's hire a GM who couldn't get the Leafs into the playoffs.  :doh:  As for Duds, what has he done that screams he's going to bring a cup to Buffalo?  Same for Luce.  

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot, 04 April 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#27 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 04 April 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

Burke?  Seriously?

During Burke's tenure with the Leafs from November 2008 to January 2013, the team consistently failed to make the post-season and remained the only team in the League that was unable to do so following the 2004 lockout. With the Leafs, Burke amassed a record of 129-135-42.

Yes, let's hire a GM who couldn't get the Leafs into the playoffs.  :doh:  As for Duds, what has he done that screams he's going to bring a cup to Buffalo?  Same for Luce.  

PTR

The play of the Leafs this year is testament to what he did there. They hired him to rebuild the organization but they then decided they wanted him to take short cuts. Burke was fired because he is just like Bill Polian and he doesn't play nice and suck up to the bosses so the minute they had something on him, they let him go.
Before the Leafs he built the foundation for Vancouver and finished the job in Anaheim,
Dudley and Luce have substantial track records and if you need, I can send you a three page narrative recounting those.

#28 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,630 posts
  • Location:The Myth, The Man, The Legend, Zemgus Destroyer of Worlds.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

#1 - Rick Dudley
#2-  Don Luce
#3 - Brian Burke

Darcy is in charge for at least the next year if not 2.  I think he can do more than we give him credit for.

#29 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Makin' it rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

View Posttom webster, on 04 April 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

The play of the Leafs this year is testament to what he did there. They hired him to rebuild the organization but they then decided they wanted him to take short cuts. Burke was fired because he is just like Bill Polian and he doesn't play nice and suck up to the bosses so the minute they had something on him, they let him go.
Before the Leafs he built the foundation for Vancouver and finished the job in Anaheim,
Dudley and Luce have substantial track records and if you need, I can send you a three page narrative recounting those.

The biggest plus for Luce and Dudley is they aren't Darcy.  Same with Burke.  That's all people want now.  As for the awesome team Burke built before being fired, they haven't won anything yet.  And I guess you are fine with the Kessel trade?

People hate Darcy for his "16 years of failure".  Of course "failure" in this case includes a President's trophy, a trip to the Cup finals, four trips to the Conference finals and making the playoffs 8 out of 14 years.

PTR

#30 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 04 April 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

The biggest plus for Luce and Dudley is they aren't Darcy.  Same with Burke.  That's all people want now.  As for the awesome team Burke built before being fired, they haven't won anything yet.  And I guess you are fine with the Kessel trade?

People hate Darcy for his "16 years of failure".  Of course "failure" in this case includes a President's trophy, a trip to the Cup finals, four trips to the Conference finals and making the playoffs 8 out of 14 years.

PTR

Ill put Burke and Duds record up against Darcy's any day. 8 out of 14 certainly sounds better then 4 out of 6, doesn't it. Of course after two more years and its 8 out of 16 and 6 out of 8 you probably will point the "rosey" future and stop dwelling on the past when he led Muckler's team to the Conference finals twice and the Cup once.

#31 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Makin' it rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

View Posttom webster, on 04 April 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

Ill put Burke and Duds record up against Darcy's any day. 8 out of 14 certainly sounds better then 4 out of 6, doesn't it. Of course after two more years and its 8 out of 16 and 6 out of 8 you probably will point the "rosey" future and stop dwelling on the past when he led Muckler's team to the Conference finals twice and the Cup once.

So let me understand something, Burke gets 100% of the credit for winning a cup with the Ducks, even though he joined the team only one year before.  But Darcy gets zero credit for the cup run because it was all Muckler's team??

You have nothing.  You are reduced to "what if's" and spin.

PTR

#32 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 04 April 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

So let me understand something, Burke gets 100% of the credit for winning a cup with the Ducks, even though he joined the team only one year before.  But Darcy gets zero credit for the cup run because it was all Muckler's team??

PTR

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 04 April 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

PTR

I only credited him for "finishing" the job in Anaheim as opposed to Darcy doing his thing. getting close but falling short. It is the story of his reign. You are the one spinning it when throwing out stats skewed by his first years here and neglecting the failure that has been the last few seasons.
For the record, I told Darcy in person in 1997 that I didn't think he valued "grit" enough in constructing his team. I have been consistent but I think fair in my criticism of him through the years and even now don't believe things are not as bleak as is being portrayed. I even think that Reiger could serve a useful function in the organization if he would cede ultimate control to a different type of hockey guy.
In the end, I hope I am wrong about him or at least that the odds of him getting it right make up for his shortcomings.
By the way, I'm not really sure why I am wasting my time with you, didn't you say its not the GM's job to build a team?

#33 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

View Posttom webster, on 04 April 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

I only credited him for "finishing" the job in Anaheim as opposed to Darcy doing his thing. getting close but falling short. It is the story of his reign. You are the one spinning it when throwing out stats skewed by his first years here and neglecting the failure that has been the last few seasons.
For the record, I told Darcy in person in 1997 that I didn't think he valued "grit" enough in constructing his team. I have been consistent but I think fair in my criticism of him through the years and even now don't believe things are not as bleak as is being portrayed. I even think that Reiger could serve a useful function in the organization if he would cede ultimate control to a different type of hockey guy.
In the end, I hope I am wrong about him or at least that the odds of him getting it right make up for his shortcomings.
By the way, I'm not really sure why I am wasting my time with you, didn't you say its not the GM's job to build a team?

I was soooooo tempted to make that my sig line.

#34 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Makin' it rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

View Posttom webster, on 04 April 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

I said essentially players play and coaches coach.  The GM shops for the groceries.  Building the team is a function of the GM and coaches, but if you bring in credible talent and things don't work isn't it more on the coaching?  Are you suggesting Darcy was signing players with no input from Lindy?

PTR

#35 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 04 April 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

I said essentially players play and coaches coach.  The GM shops for the groceries.  Building the team is a function of the GM and coaches, but if you bring in credible talent and things don't work isn't it more on the coaching?  Are you suggesting Darcy was signing players with no input from Lindy?

PTR

You also said "It's not the GM's job to build the team".

#36 ronhelms35

ronhelms35

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

Here is an actual petition......

https://www.change.o...e-darcy-regier#

#37 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 04 April 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

PTR

A) You didn't really say that, but
B) While I don't usually agree with you, I can see your opinion is based on a fair amount of fact and well thought opinion, so I assumed you mis-spoke. Didn't mean that I wasn't going to take a shot at you, though.
C) I know that Lindy had input but I also know that they didn't always agree and sometimes disagreed by a wide margin when it came to some pretty big decisions. It is why now Lindy will hold out for at least some personnel authority in his new gig, and finally
D) To use your analogy, Darcy bought the groceries and made some terrific buys on the prime meats and dairy products but failed miserably when it came to supplementing his diet with iron and fiber.
Lindy did the best he could but there was no way to make it work with what he had to work with down the middle.

#38 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,592 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

View Posttom webster, on 04 April 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

A) You didn't really say that, but
B) While I don't usually agree with you, I can see your opinion is based on a fair amount of fact and well thought opinion, so I assumed you mis-spoke. Didn't mean that I wasn't going to take a shot at you, though.
C) I know that Lindy had input but I also know that they didn't always agree and sometimes disagreed by a wide margin when it came to some pretty big decisions. It is why now Lindy will hold out for at least some personnel authority in his new gig, and finally
D) To use your analogy, Darcy bought the groceries and made some terrific buys on the prime meats and dairy products but failed miserably when it came to supplementing his diet with iron and fiber.
Lindy did the best he could but there was no way to make it work with what he had to work with down the middle.

Darcy is a buy and hold investor in a league where stars are getting younger.
The evaluation process has to be sped up on this team.

If Darcy's going to stick around - there has to be more hurry in this sorting process.

#39 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

#1 - Rick Dudley
#2-  Don Luce
#3 - Brian Burke

All are hands down better than DR.

Oh, and online petitions are useless.

#40 papazoid

papazoid

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostGrumpy, on 04 April 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

Oh, and online petitions are useless.

I wouldn't go so far as to they are useless.......it's pretty much a certainty that the sabres organization keeps an eye on fan forums.