Jump to content


Miller On The Way Out?


  • Please log in to reply
436 replies to this topic

#1 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

I was a little taken back seeing this.....

http://prohockeytalk...red-in-buffalo/

#2 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,275 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

Is there any hint of a source here?

#3 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,846 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 12 March 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

Is there any hint of a source here?

I think posts 214 through 220 in this thread, but since I can't load the video (see same said posts), I can't tell:  http://forums.sabres...200#entry458140

#4 Robviously

Robviously

    What You Don't See

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostCallawaySabres, on 12 March 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

I was a little taken back seeing this.....

http://prohockeytalk...red-in-buffalo/
Seems like total speculation and could have been written during the first half of each of the past two seasons as well.

But if we're speculating, I'd wonder if Chicago would be interested.  That's the only part of their team that isn't elite, and it makes everything about the team suspect in the playoffs, IMO.

#5 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

View PostRobviously, on 12 March 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:


Seems like total speculation and could have been written during the first half of each of the past two seasons as well.

But if we're speculating, I'd wonder if Chicago would be interested.  That's the only part of their team that isn't elite, and it makes everything about the team suspect in the playoffs, IMO.

I don't know but it just feels like it's in the air. I expect a gigantic youth movement with at least 2 out of the 3 (miller, vanek and pomm) being shipped by next year. Buyout or trade with Stafford and this will be a brand new team. Who knows what next year will look like..

#6 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,275 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostEleven, on 12 March 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

I think posts 214 through 220 in this thread, but since I can't load the video (see same said posts), I can't tell:  http://forums.sabres...200#entry458140

I meant did Kypreos give any hint as to the source. He didn't. "Name that's floating out there." BTW, the video played for me in Safari, but it took about 30 seconds to start.

#7 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

    Actually Ville Leino

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Horseheads

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

View PostRobviously, on 12 March 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

Seems like total speculation and could have been written during the first half of each of the past two seasons as well.

But if we're speculating, I'd wonder if Chicago would be interested.  That's the only part of their team that isn't elite, and it makes everything about the team suspect in the playoffs, IMO.
Miller and Vanek for Kane and a 1st?

Edit: Kane's 24. hmm...

Edited by qwksndmonster, 13 March 2013 - 12:04 AM.


#8 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 13 March 2013 - 12:00 AM, said:

Miller and Vanek for Kane and a 1st?

If you want to get crazy, go Vanek, Myers, and Miller for Kane, Keith, and Crawford.

But if I'm Stan Bowman, I don't touch my roster at all right now.

#9 Peppy22

Peppy22

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Berlin, Germany

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:37 AM

Even if you throw Pominville in Cbicago wouldnt do that. They would be stupid if they do.

#10 Kristian

Kristian

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

If you're ever going to trade Vanek, now's the time.

Wouldn't be too happy to see him go, since he finally appears to have come into his own as a true goalscorer, but his supporting cast is horrible, with one or two exceptions.

They really do need to clean house in a big way, starting with Darcy getting the boot, and Miller and Vanek might fetch a couple of good players in return.

Edited by Kristian, 13 March 2013 - 05:55 AM.


#11 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,303 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, NY/Apex, NC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

I love the line in that link that says "the Sabres are unlikely to confirm such a rumor".  Yeah, you think?  Next you're going to tell me that the sky is blue, water is wet, and Drane is an ass. :D

#12 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,601 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

View Postshrader, on 13 March 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

I love the line in that link that says "the Sabres are unlikely to confirm such a rumor".  Yeah, you think?  Next you're going to tell me that the sky is blue, water is wet, and Drane is an ass. :D
or that Gerbe can play center? ;)

#13 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oxford, UK

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

Do you play for the Sabres? Are you over 28? Well pack your bags, it's time to go. This organisation prefers the younger demographics, the kind of rookies who can put up 70 points a night whilst playing against shutdown lines in the league. It might seem like this team is miserable with an all star goalie and two 70 point players, but this is all deception. Once we manage to get rid of this baggage we can finally put all the rookies in and watch and smile as they win back to back cups for a decade. We would never be able to win 10 cups with someone over 28, they' be too old for that final push for the 10th cup. But fear not OAP (old age players), Pegula promises to put your name ont he wall - the highest thank you this franchise will give you for devoting 10+ years of your life to us.

I'm Terry Pegula, and I approve this message

#14 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

    Makin' it rain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

Yes Darcy built this mess of a team, but he also stocked the shelves. If you are saying flush the old turds and play the young ones those are still Darcy's guys. So if the new kids can play why are you dumping the GM that drafted them?

PTR

#15 Robviously

Robviously

    What You Don't See

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 13 March 2013 - 12:00 AM, said:

Miller and Vanek for Kane and a 1st?

Edit: Kane's 24. hmm...
We're not getting any established stars back for Poms, Miller, or Vanek.  I'd also say Miller and Vanek for Kane and a 1st (probably 30th overall) is a pretty lopsided trade in their favor.

If we're talking to the Blackhawks, we're looking at their last 2-3 drafts and this year's picks.

#16 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oxford, UK

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostRobviously, on 13 March 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

We're not getting any established stars back for Poms, Miller, or Vanek.  I'd also say Miller and Vanek for Kane and a 1st (probably 30th overall) is a pretty lopsided trade in their favor.

If we're talking to the Blackhawks, we're looking at their last 2-3 drafts and this year's picks.

Teams not trade stars, not just because their production is very good, but also because they are the name/face of a franchise - they put people into the seats and sell jerseys, people know who they are

#17 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,601 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostRobviously, on 13 March 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

We're not getting any established stars back for Poms, Miller, or Vanek.  I'd also say Miller and Vanek for Kane and a 1st (probably 30th overall) is a pretty lopsided trade in their favor.

If we're talking to the Blackhawks, we're looking at their last 2-3 drafts and this year's picks.
Chicago's last 5 1st round picks:
2012 - Teuvo Teravainen, RW
2011 - Mark McNeil, C
2011 - Phillip Denault. LW
2010 - Kevin Hayes. RW
2009 - Dylan Olsen, D

PS. I dont think they trade with us.

Edited by LGR4GM, 13 March 2013 - 08:38 AM.


#18 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oxford, UK

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 13 March 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

Chicago's last 5 1st round picks:
2012 - Teuvo Teravainen, RW
2011 - Mark McNeil, C
2011 - Phillip Denault. LW
2010 - Kevin Hayes. RW
2009 - Dylan Olsen

PS. I dont think they trade with us.

I'm not sure what your point is? They are all good prospects

#19 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,601 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostThirtyEight, on 13 March 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

I'm not sure what your point is? They are all good prospects
I was just listing them for people.  I don't think they trade with us because they have no reason to, it has no relationship/correlation to their prospects.

#20 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oxford, UK

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 13 March 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

I was just listing them for people.  I don't think they trade with us because they have no reason to, it has no relationship/correlation to their prospects.

Ah I see, thanks.

On that note - I wonder, is part of our failure these last few years something to do with our failings in the 05, 06 and 07 drafts (especially our first rounders)? These guys should be stepping into our line up 08ish onwards, but they weren't there, and it also meant we had no prospects to trade for established players

#21 wjag

wjag

    Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,244 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just below the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

Could  be fun.

Just saw that CBS lists Miller as D2D with a sinus infection.  That explains the Enroth start last night.

He needs to go before he infects the rest of the team with those dreaded sinus infections. :blush:

#22 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

    Commander of the Armies of the North

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 13 March 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

Yes Darcy built this mess of a team, but he also stocked the shelves. If you are saying flush the old turds and play the young ones those are still Darcy's guys. So if the new kids can play why are you dumping the GM that drafted them?

PTR
I think you mean Darcy and Lindys guys, or do we only say that Ruff had control over the roster for things that are bad? ;)

#23 Robviously

Robviously

    What You Don't See

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 13 March 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

I was just listing them for people. I don't think they trade with us because they have no reason to, it has no relationship/correlation to their prospects.
I've watched a lot of Blackhawks this year and they could definitely stand to upgrade in net.  Crawford and Emery?  If you're built to win right now, do you really want it all hinging on those two?

#24 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

I bet u Terry and Ted have to authorize all moves made by Darcy as he might be on the way out at the end of the season! At least that's what I'm hoping for. Clean house and do a total overhaul of the hockey department. Team lacks forechecking, defensive toughness, size, skill and the list goes on and on.

#25 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,601 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostSabresBillsFan, on 13 March 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

I bet u Terry and Ted have to authorize all moves made by Darcy as he might be on the way out at the end of the season! At least that's what I'm hoping for. Clean house and do a total overhaul of the hockey department. Team lacks forechecking, defensive toughness, size, skill and the list goes on and on.
Sabres have 2 forwards under 6ft... Gerbe and Ennis.  Everyone needs to stop saying this because it is not true. They lack toughness and grit yes, size no.

according to http://sabres.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

#26 Derrico

Derrico

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greater Toronto Area

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 13 March 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Sabres have 2 forwards under 6ft... Gerbe and Ennis.  Everyone needs to stop saying this because it is not true. They lack toughness and grit yes, size no.

according to http://sabres.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

They have porter listed at 5' 11 ;)

#27 Potato

Potato

    Take Off

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,382 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nashville

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 13 March 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Sabres have 2 forwards under 6ft... Gerbe and Ennis.  Everyone needs to stop saying this because it is not true. They lack toughness and grit yes, size no.


Yeah, but Gerbe is WAAAAAY under 6 feet.   :D

#28 wjag

wjag

    Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,244 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just below the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

If not Philly, then how about Jersey?  Hedberg isn't getting it done and Marty is clearly on his last legs.

#29 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,510 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boca Raton, FL

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Every forward on this team needs to be 6'4" 230#, how else could this board bitch about the team being too slow? After all, 6'4" 230# forwards who score 40 goals, exactly one goal every other game, hit and fight are a dime a dozen.

Doug Flutie was the best QB the Bills have had in the last 15 years, but it doesn't matter because he was too small to play in the NFL.

Edited by JJFIVEOH, 13 March 2013 - 12:48 PM.


#30 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Miller has a list of 6 teams he would be traded to (i think) and I doubt NJ is one of them.

#31 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,275 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostCallawaySabres, on 13 March 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

Miller has a list of 6 teams he would be traded to (i think) and I doubt NJ is one of them.

I think it's a no-trade clause, a list of several (eight?) teams he won't agree to be traded to.

#32 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,601 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostCallawaySabres, on 13 March 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

Miller has a list of 6 teams he would be traded to (i think) and I doubt NJ is one of them.

View PostPASabreFan, on 13 March 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

I think it's a no-trade clause, a list of several (eight?) teams he won't agree to be traded to.
according to capgeek PA is correct and Miller can list 8 teams he will NOT accept a trade to.

#33 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oxford, UK

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 13 March 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

according to capgeek PA is correct and Miller can list 8 teams he will NOT accept a trade to.

Which is enough to harpoon many a trade. Are there more than 8 teams out there who need a goalie and he doesn't want to play for? He might not want to play for Boston, but he won;t be traded there so he doesn;t need to worry about putting them down as one of his 8

#34 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,878 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostCOSabre, on 13 March 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

Yeah, but Gerbe is WAAAAAY under 6 feet.   :D

Gerbe is actually one of the best built, if not THEE best built player on the roster. With his effort, and if he was 6'......he'd probably be an All Star.

Winnipeg has the most upside in my opinion when it comes to conformation in players. They can actually afford to give up some size for skill. They would make a great trade target for Buffalo. Miller and either Vanek or Pominville could actually vault them to favorites in the division.

#35 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,601 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 13 March 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

Which is enough to harpoon many a trade. Are there more than 8 teams out there who need a goalie and he doesn't want to play for? He might not want to play for Boston, but he won;t be traded there so he doesn;t need to worry about putting them down as one of his 8
I would assume he has to provide that list at the beginning of the season.  However in some cases that is not the case and I can find nothing that specifically states when Miller needs to provide that list.

#36 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

    Expert Lurker

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 13 March 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

according to capgeek PA is correct and Miller can list 8 teams he will NOT accept a trade to.
I would assume that would be bottom feeder type franchises like Columbus, Florida, NYI as well as recently-bad or far off Canadian teams like Edmonton, Calgary, etc.

#37 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

    Commander of the Armies of the North

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 13 March 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

I would assume he has to provide that list at the beginning of the season.  However in some cases that is not the case and I can find nothing that specifically states when Miller needs to provide that list.
I don't think that the list is submitted at any point during the season, only when the team asks him for one. So if he asks for a trade, or the team is interested in moving him they would ask him for the list that he would then provide.

#38 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,601 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 13 March 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

I don't think that the list is submitted at any point during the season, only when the team asks him for one. So if he asks for a trade, or the team is interested in moving him they would ask him for the list that he would then provide.
some require you to give them a list in September before the season starts other do not.

#39 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

    Makin' it rain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 13 March 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

I think you mean Darcy and Lindys guys, or do we only say that Ruff had control over the roster for things that are bad? ;)
I'm sure Ruff had plenty to say but Darcy makes the moves.  Besides Lindy seemed to be allergic to new players, not playing anyone from the AHL unless forced to by injury.  

So if Rolston will usher in a new era for the Sabres with many new faces, whether we keep or fire Regier, his stamp is on this team for years.

PTR

#40 obstructedorangeseats

obstructedorangeseats

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 206 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostTouched by Boyes, on 13 March 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

I would assume that would be bottom feeder type franchises like Columbus, Florida, NYI as well as recently-bad or far off Canadian teams like Edmonton, Calgary, etc.

I'm more familiar with baseball, but in that sport it seems like NTC's are designed to extract more money from the larger market teams (i.e. the New Yorks, Bostons, Los Angeles', etc.) and in reality the player has no real opposition to being moved there. I'm wondering if it is a similar practice in hockey?