41 replies to this topic

#1 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

These have gotten more popular to examine so they're being updated more frequently than once per season now. I haven't found a comprehensive outlet source (for all teams, consistently updated) for these yet, but I'm sure Rob Vollman is responsible for the data analysis.

Key:
Horiztonal axis is five-on-five non-neutral zone start percentage (left = more defensive usage, right = more offensive usage).
Vertical axis is the Corsi Relative Quality of Competition (up = strong opponents, down = weak opponents).
Bubbles are relative Corsi numbers (big red = bad, big blue = good)

For reference, here's the old charts/thread. A better explanation of these methods is included there.

March 9:
Posted Image

Zoomed in on the middle cluster:
Posted Image

Grains of salt: this is for only 20ish games, and it's some weird amalgamation of how Ruff used players and how Rolston uses players.

Opinion corner:
A couple things stand out, some of which are obvious, but it's nice to have data to support my/your/our/their paranoia.
1) The defense has been atrocious. Nobody's doing well, except for Ehrhoff and Sulzer. We knew this. But I'm still surprised at how difficult Regehr is struggling in the Corsi dept, likely because no Sabre ever takes a shot while he's on the ice, similar to last year's charts.
2) Our third/fourth lines have been even more atrocious. We lack any defensive shutdown forwards. Hecht, Ott, Kaleta, McCormick, Porter, and partly Gerbe, are playing defensive oriented minutes, and they are doing a really ###### job.
3) As a result of #2, it's no surprise that we're forced to use our top two lines in a two-way role. Vanek, Hodgson, Pominville, Ennis, and Stafford are all floating in the middle of the chart left-to-right AND they're playing among the hardest minutes of the forwards. The good news is that they're playing relatively well. Ennis is playing great, putting up better Corsi numbers than Hodgson (I'm not surprised by this, but some might be).
4) Nobody puts out their best players against our wrecking balls. Or we never put out our wrecking balls against the best players. That's obvious. Scott, Kaleta ,and McCormick played the easiest minutes on the team (and they still got outshot).
5) Grigorenko's usage is interesting to me: mostly offensive, not sheltered from the harder opponents that much. Kind of whispers to me that the coaching staff likes what they see on the offensive side, even against challenging opponents, but hasn't given him much defensive responsibility yet.
6) Stafford isn't playing that poorly, according to these stats. He's not a defensive ######up and he's playing on a line that contributes positively. BUT he's on (82 game) pace for 28 points, a career low. I know it's been said 1E9 times already, and as recently again by bloggers as this morning, but he could really use a change of scenery. These stats show he's still a decent player, but he's not finding the back of the net.
7) Otter, you're a credit to the team, but please convince yourself and your linemates to start shooting more instead of dumping.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 12 March 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#2 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Yes....once again Stafford is a Corsi God!!!

#3 ...

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

Ennis and Foligno surprise me. Foligno not so much after the past few games, especially tonight's, but Ennis always looks like he has a difficult time with his assignments.

#4 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

Ennis and Foligno surprise me. Foligno not so much after the past few games, especially tonight's, but Ennis always looks like he has a difficult time with his assignments.

Because these are Ya-Ya stats.....You plug in the parameters which fit your mold...then go.."Ya....Ya....my boys be good!"

#5 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,241 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

Because these are Ya-Ya stats.....You plug in the parameters which fit your mold...then go.."Ya....Ya....my boys be good!"

Um what?

#6 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

Them witches be using them accursed stats! They mean nothing! Nanananananananananothing!

#7 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

Um what?

Dwight has a well-documented, unfounded phobia of advanced statistics, which he manifests as anger and belittlement of their usage. Let's move on.

Foligno surprised me too. I'm not sure how he's ending up being used more in offensive situations, but he seems to be playing well against decent competition. He does play a great game deep in the offensive zone, which paid multiple dividends tonight, both in great plays along the boards and tight in front of the net.

Ennis gives me the impression, at least when I'm watching, that he's really good at the puck possession game; he doesn't seem to cause many turnovers in his own end. Maybe missed assignments, if that is his drawback (I'm not convinced it is yet), result in higher quality chances albeit a fewer number of chances overall.

#8 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

Them witches be using them accursed stats! They mean nothing! Nanananananananananothing!

Your goaltender coach...who sits next to Darcy every game....who built this albatross of a team....who has 5 playoff wins in 6 years.......DEVELOPED THESE STATS!!!!!!

Hence you see $4 million a year going to Stafford....and Hecht back in the day getting $3.5 million....and Connolly $3 million...etc.

#9 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,224 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

Your goaltender coach...who sits next to Darcy every game....who built this albatross of a team....who has 5 playoff wins in 6 years.......DEVELOPED THESE STATS!!!!!!

Hence you see $4 million a year going to Stafford....and Hecht back in the day getting $3.5 million....and Connolly $3 million...etc.

....and your idyllic team just got smacked by this bunch :P

#10 rakish

rakish

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:44 AM

I don't believe Corsi numbers matter. I believe that Ott is playing very well, and Stafford not so much, but I think a believer in Corsi numbers will say the opposite.

The math I've been working on is the amount of PP and PK time your opponents get. It's a work in progress since the important number is comparing home numbers to road numbers. Turns out Regher plays against forwards with most power play time, followed by, you guessed it, Stafford and Ennis. The home/road numbers will tell me if the Sabres are putting Ennis out when Crosby comes out, or the Penguins are sending Crosby out when they see Ennis.

As you would expect, the Hodgson/Vanek, Pom line get the defensemen with the most PK time.

Edited by RCentered, 13 March 2013 - 12:47 AM.

#11 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:55 AM

....and your idyllic team just got smacked by this bunch :P

Yes sir......they did.

#12 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:27 AM

Those bastard Illuminati with their massive underground bases and their brainwashin'!

#13 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

Those bastard Illuminati with their massive underground bases and their brainwashin'!

Yes sir...they did.

#14 kishoph

kishoph

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

:blink:

​Maybe it's the Polack in me, but I don't get it.

#15 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,807 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:26 AM

I don't believe Corsi numbers matter. I believe that Ott is playing very well, and Stafford not so much, but I think a believer in Corsi numbers will say the opposite.

The math I've been working on is the amount of PP and PK time your opponents get. It's a work in progress since the important number is comparing home numbers to road numbers. Turns out Regher plays against forwards with most power play time, followed by, you guessed it, Stafford and Ennis. The home/road numbers will tell me if the Sabres are putting Ennis out when Crosby comes out, or the Penguins are sending Crosby out when they see Ennis.

As you would expect, the Hodgson/Vanek, Pom line get the defensemen with the most PK time.

Corsi numbers tell a lot. Especially how the player is being used.

Of course in years to come you could have new stats that are shaping the game......

I suggest Entries into zone, assist on entry, shots in slot, shots from point, shift without shot against,

And for goalies.....rebounds to slot, saves on high percentage shots, un-screened goals against, screened goals against

Somebody will be tracking these in the future.

#16 rakish

rakish

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

X, some of those you can get now, the distance of each shot is tracked, so shots from point is available. Shifts without shot against is findable in the Play-By-Play with a little code.

What I'm looking for is chances? Regier mentioned on the radio some chances stats, anybody know where they are?

I mistrust a lot of things about Corsi. I believe that when players understand they are being judged by the number of shots taken, they take shots that have no chance of success. I believe this is true of Stafford. Second, I don't trust stats that can't be reversed. I'm told Miller is good because he has a low goals against per shot, but then am told that Ennis must be traded because he has a high goals per shot, that his shooting percentage will regress to the mean. Third, again, is Ott playing poorly? Is Stafford playing well? The plus minus has some anomalies, but for me far more relevant than Corsi.

Then again, at least Corsi people aren't heighters

#17 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,224 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

If people don't stop either misunderstanding or misrepresenting what stats mean I think my head is going to explode. This has become the equivalent of what people do in politics all the time: misrepresent the other side's position to make them sound like the antichrist.

#18 Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

Sip it, you heathen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

If people don't stop either misunderstanding or misrepresenting what stats mean I think my head is going to explode. This has become the equivalent of what people do everywhere in politics America all the time: misrepresent the other side's position to make them sound like the antichrist.

#19 rakish

rakish

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

What's my straw man?

#20 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

All these stats and arguements about the Corsi number and its use are not what should be pointed out. The two things I see (and have been harping on offensive/defensive zone starts all season) are:

1. It appears that the majority of Sabres players overall are showing a trend of more defensive zone starts than offensive zone starts. This points to the team being bad. Obviously the Corsi (which measures shots against v. shots for) is going to be red with primarily defensive zone starts. You can't shoot when you are in your own zone...

2. The players that should be getting primary offensive zone starts (the Vanek-Hodgson-Pommer line and Ennis line to a lesser extent) are not because we have no true defensive third line that can play against the opponents top line and take the d-zone starts. That role is currently given to players like Porter, Ott and Hecht based on the d-zone % stats above. If you look at those players it is clear they are not the defensive players of a cup contender. That IMO is the Sabres biggest weakness is not having the defensive forwards and centers that can match up with the Crosby/Stamkos/Giroux type 1st lines.

#21 Wraith

Wraith

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

Very interesting. First thing that jumped out at me was Regehr. If my memory is correct, he would've been in the upper left corner by himself last season. It (at least partially) explained his horrible Corsi numbers last year. This year he's being used just like most of the team and his Corsi is still crappy.

#22 rakish

rakish

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Boyes, for point 2.

Don't have a third line center? Yes, very true.
That Ott and Hecht don't play against Crosby and Stamkos? True as well, but that seems to be the choice of the Sabres. While Ennis and Stafford lead among forwards, all the veteran forwards are relatively bunched together as to ice time against the PP unit, so it doesn't look like either team really cares. The major difference between home and road is that the the opponent, when they are home, won't put their PP unit out as much against Regier, Hecht, Kaleta, and Ellis. And conversely, the Sabres try to shelter the kids, so they don't see the opposing PP unit as much at home.

But I would like to defend Ott and Hecht for a moment. If you pull apart Ott's plus minus numbers, he has played 151 (about 2 1/2 games) even minutes with Hecht, they are plus 7 together, with no goals against on ice. My problem with the Sabres is that they don't know this, because instead of playing Ott with Hecht, they moved Ott to Ennis and Gerbe's line, which will fail. (It needs to be Ennis Gerbe Stafford)

If you look at even strength Goals Against on Ice/60, both Ott and Hecht have excellent numbers, they're each on ice for about 1.3 goals per 60 minutes of ice time. Isn't that good? Isn't this what you had hoped for with Ott and Hecht? They are on the ice with the same defense everyone else plays with, yet no one is scoring on them. They give up about half the goals/60 as the power play unit, and the power play unit has an extra player.

I think as I study ice time against opposing PP unit, I will find that the Sabres do very little line matching compared to other teams, (but I haven't run the numbers yet) but I think it's a philosophy rather than an indictment of Ott and Hecht, who, if you are chatting with someone in the organization, please mention they are plus 7 together.

Edited by RCentered, 13 March 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#23 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

If people don't stop either misunderstanding or misrepresenting what stats mean I think my head is going to explode. This has become the equivalent of what people do in politics all the time: misrepresent the other side's position to make them sound like the antichrist.

You can look at all the stats you want. I take stats very seriously.....I am actually a numbers guy by nature. What I don't take seriously are a set of parameters pushed together by someone which fit their mold of what they would deem to be positive. Is there a listing of historical Corsi numbers from decades past? Something tells me Scott Stevens would have a horrible number. He was probably the most coveted defenseman for a period of years if you were looking to build a team.

Advanced stats work much better in a one-on-one game like baseball. It is much easier to validate performance and compartmentalise scenarios. Hockey is 60 minutes of a team oriented, effort driven game. Can you show me stats on how many skating strides each player takes in different scenarios? You know....like the guys who won't backcheck hard, or loaf to the bench, yet skate like their hair is on fire to get to a puck when they have an empty net to shoot on? Or how about average distance traveled to physically engage an opponent? Are those stats out there?

I'm sure if you looked at some of those, then corrolated them to team performance or even some bits of what goes into Corsi numbers....you can paint an entirely different picture.

Corsi rewards lack of effort........they are faulty numbers in my opinion.

#24 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Boyes, for point 2.

Don't have a third line center? Yes, very true.
That Ott and Hecht don't play against Crosby and Stamkos? True as well, but that seems to be the choice of the Sabres. While Ennis and Stafford lead among forwards, all the veteran forwards are relatively bunched together as to ice time against the PP unit, so it doesn't look like either team really cares. The major difference between home and road is that the the opponent, when they are home, won't put their PP unit out as much against Regier, Hecht, Kaleta, and Ellis. And conversely, the Sabres try to shelter the kids, so they don't see the opposing PP unit as much at home.

But I would like to defend Ott and Hecht for a moment. If you pull apart Ott's plus minus numbers, he has played 151 (about 2 1/2 games) even minutes with Hecht, they are plus 7 together, with no goals on ice. My problem with the Sabres is that they don't know this, because instead of playing Ott with Hecht, they moved Ott to Ennis and Gerbe's line, which will fail. (It needs to be Ennis Gerbe Stafford)

If you look at even strength Goals Against on Ice/60, both Ott and Hecht have excellent numbers, they're each on ice for about 1.3 goals per 60 minutes of ice time. Isn't that good? Isn't this what you had hoped for with Ott and Hecht? They are on the ice with the same defense everyone else plays with, yet no one is scoring on them. They give up about half the goals/60 as the power play unit, and the power play unit has an extra player.

I think as I study ice time against opposing PP unit, I will find that the Sabres do very little line matching compared to other teams, (but I haven't run the numbers yet) but I think it's a philosophy rather than an indictment of Ott and Hecht, who, if you are chatting with someone in the organization, please mention they are plus 7 together.

This is exactly the point that I was trying to get to. It is my impression that a successful team is one where every individual player knows their role as it relates to the success of the whole. That means that the first line players know that they need to score goals and points to have enough goals each game to win. They should be given the majority of opportunities (see: offensive zone starts, shifts against opponents coming off icings, etc.) to accomplish this task. There should also be players whose specific role is preventing the other team's top line from scoring a zillion goals. Essentially a line that you can send out there that will make life hell for the Stamkos line in TB and prevent them from scoring quicker than your first line. As currently constructed, I do not see the players on the Sabres roster to create even close to a shut-down third line. I think that Ott is possibly one player that can make up that line, but we still need a good skating, defensive minded, high % faceoff center and another defensive winger.

Watching the sabres right now, they send out their lines in a relatively predictable order that the other team can match up positively against. This is shown in the data above in that the majority of players offensive/defensive zone starts (x-axis) are tightly grouped at 45-55%. I think it is a philosophical shift that needs to take place where we start building a team strategy and concept instead of a random grouping of players...

#25 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

This is exactly the point that I was trying to get to. It is my impression that a successful team is one where every individual player knows their role as it relates to the success of the whole. That means that the first line players know that they need to score goals and points to have enough goals each game to win. They should be given the majority of opportunities (see: offensive zone starts, shifts against opponents coming off icings, etc.) to accomplish this task. There should also be players whose specific role is preventing the other team's top line from scoring a zillion goals. Essentially a line that you can send out there that will make life hell for the Stamkos line in TB and prevent them from scoring quicker than your first line. As currently constructed, I do not see the players on the Sabres roster to create even close to a shut-down third line. I think that Ott is possibly one player that can make up that line, but we still need a good skating, defensive minded, high % faceoff center and another defensive winger.

Watching the sabres right now, they send out their lines in a relatively predictable order that the other team can match up positively against. This is shown in the data above in that the majority of players offensive/defensive zone starts (x-axis) are tightly grouped at 45-55%. I think it is a philosophical shift that needs to take place where we start building a team strategy and concept instead of a random grouping of players...

As I have said before, I think our issue (in the forwards) is:
A) Missing two top 6 wingers (paging Foligno and Stafford)
B) Lack of identity in the bottom 6

What is sad is that with all the spare parts we have this season/last few, we don't have a tool kit to taylor our roster to the opponents, we have the box of toys about to be donated to charity - misfits. Gerbe is not skilled enough for a top 6 role, not good enough defensively for a traditional third line role and too small for a fourth line role.

If the Sabres sign Drew Miller and Boyd Gordon I will be happy - two defensively minded guys who can play 13-15 minutes.

#26 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

As I have said before, I think our issue (in the forwards) is:
A) Missing two top 6 wingers (paging Foligno and Stafford)
B) Lack of identity in the bottom 6

What is sad is that with all the spare parts we have this season/last few, we don't have a tool kit to taylor our roster to the opponents, we have the box of toys about to be donated to charity - misfits. Gerbe is not skilled enough for a top 6 role, not good enough defensively for a traditional third line role and too small for a fourth line role.

If the Sabres sign Drew Miller and Boyd Gordon I will be happy - two defensively minded guys who can play 13-15 minutes.

Yep, Gerbe is a player that is great in theory and would be an awesome addition if we were playing pick-up street hockey, but in the NHL level, You are either skilled enough for the top-6 scoring lines or you are big/physical enough for the bottom-6 role player lines. He is neither.

We have lots of miscast players on the team with no defined role. As I see it we have the following holes in an ideal team make up:

Top 6 - Vanek, Pomminstein, Hodgson, Ennis. Need another top 6 center and a RW.
Checking Line - Ott, Foligno. Need a checking line center with a high FO%
Grinder - Kaleta, Scott (situationally)

Miscast players - Stafford (no longer producing as a top 6 scorer), Hecht (playing in shutdown role but no longer has skating speed/physicality), Gerbe (see above), Porter (should be fill-in, currently playing shutdown center), Flynn (showing promise, haven't seen enough yet), Leino (signed as a top 6, yet to show scoring ability/injured), Ellis/McCormick (not NHL level talent)

#27 ROC Sabres

ROC Sabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

:blink:

​Maybe it's the Polack in me, but I don't get it.

I'm with you, on both accounts.

#28 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

The line of Kunitz, Crosby and Dupuis has been the league's most productive at even-strength, scoring 25 goals. Here are the top 19 trios (9-way tie for 20th), for goal production at even strength, according to www.leftwinglock.com:

Rk Team LW C RW GOALS
1 PIT Chris Kunitz Sidney Crosby Pascal Dupuis 25
2 CAR Jiri Tlusty Eric Staal Alexander Semin 20
3 BUF Thomas Vanek Cody Hodgson Jason Pominville 19

Edited by ThirtyEight, 13 March 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#29 BuffaloSoldier2010

BuffaloSoldier2010

your father's brother's cousin's former roommate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

The line of Kunitz, Crosby and Dupuis has been the league's most productive at even-strength, scoring 25 goals. Here are the top 19 trios (9-way tie for 20th), for goal production at even strength, according to www.leftwinglock.com:

Rk Team LW C RW GOALS
1 PIT Chris Kunitz Sidney Crosby Pascal Dupuis 25
2 CAR Jiri Tlusty Eric Staal Alexander Semin 20
3 BUF Thomas Vanek Cody Hodgson Jason Pominville 19

Just supports my thoughts, thanks for the find.

I understand the thinking of unloading pommer and vanek for future pieces but i find it strange that once we finally have our #1 center that everyone has been clamoring for, and arguably one of the most dangerous top lines in the league, that some posters here want to move the wingers whom we tried so hard to get a center for.

#30 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Ugh, our top line is ranked 3rd on the season, but is tied for 17th in the last ten games with four goals.

#31 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Ugh, our top line is ranked 3rd on the season, but is tied for 17th in the last ten games with four goals.

Since Ron Rolston was coach?

#32 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

Since Ron Rolston was coach?

As of today, yes, Ron Rolston has coached ten games.

Ugly:
15 goals in 17 games for the Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville line under Ruff.
4 goals in 10 games under Rolston.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 13 March 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#33 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

I was wondering if anyone happened to know, or was interested in the fact that Lindy Ruff's son is one of 2 guys running the Sabres Analytics department?

#34 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

I was wondering if anyone happened to know, or was interested in the fact that Lindy Ruff's son is one of 2 guys running the Sabres Analytics department?

Entire staff: http://sabres.nhl.co...ge.htm?id=36588

No mention of Brett or Bryan.

Article on Graham Beamish: http://www.thepeterb...couting-analyst

#35 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

Entire staff: http://sabres.nhl.co...ge.htm?id=36588

No mention of Brett or Bryan.

Article on Graham Beamish: http://www.thepeterb...couting-analyst

http://www.linkedin....ruff/15/a54/735 Beamish now with scouting staff. Ruff analytics......page 4 of media guide http://downloads.sab...de-Complete.pdf

#36 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,241 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

http://www.linkedin....ruff/15/a54/735 Beamish now with scouting staff. Ruff analytics......page 4 of media guide http://downloads.sab...de-Complete.pdf

"I also handle the Buffalo Sabres and Rochester Americans per diem (meal money) for their road games. I help compose video packages for our coaching staff via Sports Code software program and statistics from the Pucks program by Sydex Sports."

Sounds pretty important.

#37 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

"I also handle the Buffalo Sabres and Rochester Americans per diem (meal money) for their road games. I help compose video packages for our coaching staff via Sports Code software program and statistics from the Pucks program by Sydex Sports."

Sounds pretty important.

I just found it interesting. I just stumbled upon it looking at other employees there. I am not a fan of overanalyzing stats anyone, but wondered if our analytics fans knew he was on the staff in that capacity. Fine with me.......and I enjoyed the story on Beamish. For those that put down some of the ideas here as "leave it to the pros"....well, here's a young kid with no league experience who took over their stats and is now a scout.

#38 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

Looks like Ruff was a summer intern last year, then graduated, then came on again for a what I'm guessing is a one year internship. Not sure he, or Beamish, is running anything. Probably just assistants in the scouting office, with a few other duties around the organization. He's worked other places, too, so he could be very qualified.

Sounds like great way to get into the sport, career-wise.

#39 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

Looks like Ruff was a summer intern last year, then graduated, then came on again for a what I'm guessing is a one year internship. Not sure he, or Beamish, is running anything. Probably just assistants in the scouting office, with a few other duties around the organization. He's worked other places, too, so he could be very qualified.

Sounds like great way to get into the sport, career-wise.

We can honestly say the Ruff legacy lives on. I'm amazed how old his kids are now. He was here forever! Cool gig.

#40 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,477 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

I just found it interesting. I just stumbled upon it looking at other employees there. I am not a fan of overanalyzing stats anyone, but wondered if our analytics fans knew he was on the staff in that capacity. Fine with me.......and I enjoyed the story on Beamish. For those that put down some of the ideas here as "leave it to the pros"....well, here's a young kid with no league experience who took over their stats and is now a scout.

Sounds to me like data entry and push a button to generate a report.

meh.