15 replies to this topic

#1 Superhero

Superhero

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

Of the top defensive prospects on the Sabres only McNabb has really good size and grit to his game.

Pysyk, McCabe, Guthier Leduc, and Brennan each are puck moving defenseman that seem to lack the real size and grit.

I know the Sabres still could use more high end forwards, but The Sabres may want to add more size and grit to their defense core with 1 of their picks in the first few rounds of the upcoming draft or in a trade for a prospect.

#2 bobis

bobis

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostSuperhero, on 10 March 2013 - 03:11 AM, said:

Of the top defensive prospects on the Sabres only McNabb has really good size and grit to his game.

Pysyk, McCabe, Guthier Leduc, and Brennan each are puck moving defenseman that seem to lack the real size and grit.

I know the Sabres still could use more high end forwards, but The Sabres may want to add more size and grit to their defense core with 1 of their picks in the first few rounds of the upcoming draft or in a trade for a prospect.

What is ideal size? IDK, seems like much to do about nothing. Brennan is 6'1" 215, Pysyk and Leduc are 6'1" / 6'2" about 195lbs and going to fill out. By contrast, Subban is 6' 212, Phaneuf is 6'3" 215, Letang is 6' 200. Scott Stevens is listed as 6'2" 215, he hit pretty good. Alex Zhitnik was only 5'11" 205, he was pretty physical.

Of course there are guys like Chara, Weber, Byfuglien etc who are monsters but the Sabres defenseive youngsters will be fine as far a size goes. Meanness? Who knows, TBD.

#3 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

View Postdrunken idiot, on 10 March 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

What is ideal size? IDK, seems like much to do about nothing. Brennan is 6'1" 215, Pysyk and Leduc are 6'1" / 6'2" about 195lbs and going to fill out. By contrast, Subban is 6' 212, Phaneuf is 6'3" 215, Letang is 6' 200. Scott Stevens is listed as 6'2" 215, he hit pretty good. Alex Zhitnik was only 5'11" 205, he was pretty physical.

Of course there are guys like Chara, Weber, Byfuglien etc who are monsters but the Sabres defenseive youngsters will be fine as far a size goes. Meanness? Who knows, TBD.
Size doesn't matter if you don't us it. Just look at Tyler Myers. Myers might as well be 5' 10".

#4 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,891 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostDeLuca67, on 10 March 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

Size doesn't matter if you don't us it. Just look at Tyler Myers. Myers might as well be 5' 10".

I don't know what a bigger problem is for him right now:  his unwillingness to put his body on an opponent, or being out of position all the time (and I'm talking about in his own end, not being caught pinching, here).

#5 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,393 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

Normally I'm on-board with wanting a bigger, tougher team.  But, IMHO our current group of d-men struggle mightily with passing.  I actually think we could use another mobile puck-mover type.

#6 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,321 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Of like to point out that among the prospects on D, McNabb, Pysyk, and McCabe are the only ones worth mentioning.  Brennan has proven he's not an NHL defenseman, MGL is light years away from being NHL ready.

#7 bcardona

bcardona

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

View Postinkman, on 11 March 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

Of like to point out that among the prospects on D, McNabb, Pysyk, and McCabe are the only ones worth mentioning.  Brennan has proven he's not an NHL defenseman, MGL is light years away from being NHL ready.
Man Biega gets no love!  Yeah he's not a blue-chip nor a big body, but look at Flynn the past couple of weeks, solid player, serviceable, 24 years of age.

#8 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

View Postbcardona, on 11 March 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

Man Biega gets no love!  Yeah he's not a blue-chip nor a big body, but look at Flynn the past couple of weeks, solid player, serviceable, 24 years of age.
Give it time, prospects always seem to come up and look good for a bit then come back down to earth. (And not just here, it happens everywhere)

As for the original topic, I don't think theres  a certain size players have to be, they just need to be talented enough to play at an NHL level and not be afraid to take a hit or to give one out. You don't need a team of goons/agitators to win, just guys that have skill 1st, and be willing to take and give out a hit when necessary. I would rather have a team of guys with loads of skill and heart, then a bunch of big players who just skate around and look for a hit.

#9 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

I'd gladly trade Myers for Tavares right now.

#10 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,891 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 11 March 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

Well, yeah.

#11 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,736 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 11 March 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

The Bandits' Tavares?  Because I might consider that at this point...

#12 sabres4life19

sabres4life19

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

I remember people saying back when we drafted Myers that he had to be told in junior to not fight as much (or to stop fighting) because they needed him on the ice. So i just still dont get how he's a wet towel all the time that shows very very little aggression ever..

looking at hockeyfights.com He had 10 Fighting majors over 2 WHL seasons.

********Ah and 3 of the 10 Myers recieved an instigator *****

#13 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Actually Ville Leino

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Que Lindy coaches toughness out of players posts in 3 2 1...

#14 bcardona

bcardona

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 11 March 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

Give it time, prospects always seem to come up and look good for a bit then come back down to earth. (And not just here, it happens everywhere)

As for the original topic, I don't think theres  a certain size players have to be, they just need to be talented enough to play at an NHL level and not be afraid to take a hit or to give one out. You don't need a team of goons/agitators to win, just guys that have skill 1st, and be willing to take and give out a hit when necessary. I would rather have a team of guys with loads of skill and heart, then a bunch of big players who just skate around and look for a hit.
Quick, somebody tell that to TJ Brennan!

#15 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,891 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 11 March 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

Que Lindy coaches toughness out of players posts in 3 2 1...

Why not?  We've already "learned" today that he told players not to skate hard, too.

#16 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,321 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

View Postbcardona, on 11 March 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

Quick, somebody tell that to TJ Brennan!
Maybe he is looking good right now.