23 replies to this topic

#1 evilempire

evilempire

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

There really isn't anything to discuss here as he should be captain but id like to hear other peoples opinion's.  Especially those who disagree. ( if there's anyone)  and why.

#2 carpandean

carpandean

If it ain't worth making a chart, it ain't worth saying.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Put an "A" on him ... because he's an a**hole, but he's our a**hole!!

#3 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,165 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

A scarlet letter?  Why you puritan you.

#4 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

View Postevilempire, on 03 March 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

There really isn't anything to discuss here as he should be captain but id like to hear other peoples opinion's.  Especially those who disagree. ( if there's anyone)  and why.

Wanted him to wear an A at the outset of the season.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 03 March 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#5 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,788 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

He doesn't need it. That's why we love our Otter.

#6 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

I say the Sabres start with a contract extension in the offseason and work from there.

#7 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 03 March 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

Wimp ;)

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 03 March 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

Wanted him to wear an A at the outset of the season.

I posted in some thread that I normally don't like the idea of new guys getting letters right away.

That said, he IS the captain of this team and I would make it official.  I don't think RR will though, at least not this season.  We shall see.

On the other hand though, chz makes a very good point in that he doesn't need a letter to be the leader of this team.

#8 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,936 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 03 March 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

There's something about a ginger dude with those piercing blue eyes......makes him look crazier than he is.

I'm telling you now....the New Corps consists of Ott, Regehr, Weber, Gerbe, Kaleta.

I'm kinda sorta buying into this sh!t......and it scares me!!!!!

#9 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

B's on his shoulders.

#10 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,606 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 04 March 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

B's on his shoulders.
...and that's enough. No player needs a letter sewn on his sweater to be a leader. Leaders lead, guys with letters on their sweaters take face offs before games and talk to the officials a lot.

#11 Meathead

Meathead

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

well who in the world would you replace? you cant tell me that this team could do without the spark that drew stafford provides

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhaahahahaaaaaaa

wait lemme try again

#12 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:58 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 04 March 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

There's something about a ginger dude with those piercing blue eyes......makes him look crazier than he is.

I'm telling you now....the New Corps consists of Ott, Regehr, Weber, Gerbe, Kaleta.

Little bromance ?

#13 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

Why do you want Ott to be a mailman?    ;)

#14 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

Where do I sign the petition?

That said, I think there's no real urgency to make changes of that sort mid-season.  Too many other changes need to be made that make a real difference on the ice (such as straightening out the power play, which after last night's game is clearly the highest priority).

#15 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,936 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

View PostHeimdall, on 04 March 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

Little bromance ?

I'm getting scared because Rolston has obviously taken the leash off the dogs. Rolston represents Sabres status quo to an extent and any success under him may lead to Darcy still being here and making decisions.

I am actually rooting for these guys like I haven't in years. It's freedom. Just watching the little things going on out there tells me that. They need to still remold and need much more talented help in here. But just seeing Ott go on his roll and be a pest....Gerbe getting playing time with the right people and lighting it up....Weber and Regehr getting #1 PK pairing.....the guys going down for blocked shots more and the hitters taking that extra .2 seconds to try and rub in some board burns......the turnaround in attitude has happened quicker than I expected.

I hope Kaleta didn't take things too far to stop the party. Still trying to figure Rolston out myself.....but so far he seems to have some common sense to go with book smarts.

Ott is the captain here in attitude though. He is probably too much of a pest and freeballer on the ice to want to give him the actual "C". He would be deserving, but he's just nuts enough that you want to channel that energy instead of him worrying about the other diplomatic things that come with the "C".

#16 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

I know one thing, a Captain of an NHL team can never show this completely inexcusable lack of effort on any play:

If I'm RR, I'm having a long chat with #29 about setting the proper example for the team. Totally unacceptable for my "leader"

#17 carpandean

carpandean

If it ain't worth making a chart, it ain't worth saying.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 04 March 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

I know one thing, a Captain of an NHL team can never show this completely inexcusable lack of effort on any play:

The only thing that I can hope is that he was just totally gassed from being out there QB'ing the PP for 1:21 when it happened.  I mean, the Sabres do skate 200ft a lot, so it's possible. :unsure:

#18 johnyvegas

johnyvegas

That's unpossible

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

Nothing is more telling of a team and their collective lack of accountability then when they throw a 'C' at the new guy.  Craig Rivet anyone?  While Ott is clearly the perfect type of guy for the job... seeing that happen right now would be more disheartening than anything else that has happened this season.

#19 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 04 March 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

If I'm RR, I'm having a long chat with #29 about setting the proper example for the team. Totally unacceptable for my "leader"

He should have that *C* on his chest removed for that play alone.  And if Pominville wanted to do the right thing he would give it up.

#20 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 04 March 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

He should have that *C* on his chest removed for that play alone.  And if Pominville wanted to do the right thing he would give it up.

Amen.  I cannot forgive or forget the image of him coasting on that play....total give up.  I hate to use this word, but he QUIT on that play.

100% counterintuitive to any kind of leadership and I don't give a damn how many goals he scores.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 04 March 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#21 johnyvegas

johnyvegas

That's unpossible

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 04 March 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

Amen.  I cannot forgive or forget the image of him coasting on that play....total give up.  I hate to use this word, but he QUIT on that play.

100% counterintuitive to any kind of leadership and I don't give a damn how many goals he scores.

I dunno.  I noticed it when it happened, watched the replay then.. couple times today.  I think it looked worse than it really was. Yes, he coasted, but at that point he was already toast on the play and he knew it.  It was a breakaway and nothing he could do.  To keep up appearances, he could have kept chasing with a hard skate and no one would be talking about it like this today.  But he knew he was beat and it was up to Miller.

#22 skaught

skaught

Rolston Centipede

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

View Postjohnyvegas, on 04 March 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

I dunno.  I noticed it when it happened, watched the replay then.. couple times today.  I think it looked worse than it really was. Yes, he coasted, but at that point he was already toast on the play and he knew it.  It was a breakaway and nothing he could do.  To keep up appearances, he could have kept chasing with a hard skate and no one would be talking about it like this today.  But he knew he was beat and it was up to Miller.

I disagree, he could've at least dove to try and poke check the puck away, or hook him and take the penalty. Trust me, its always better to take the penalty on a breakaway. The goalie has a better chance of stopping the penalty shot.

#23 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 04 March 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 04 March 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

I'm getting scared because Rolston has obviously taken the leash off the dogs. Rolston represents Sabres status quo to an extent and any success under him may lead to Darcy still being here and making decisions.

I am actually rooting for these guys like I haven't in years. It's freedom. Just watching the little things going on out there tells me that. They need to still remold and need much more talented help in here. But just seeing Ott go on his roll and be a pest....Gerbe getting playing time with the right people and lighting it up....Weber and Regehr getting #1 PK pairing.....the guys going down for blocked shots more and the hitters taking that extra .2 seconds to try and rub in some board burns......the turnaround in attitude has happened quicker than I expected.

I hope Kaleta didn't take things too far to stop the party. Still trying to figure Rolston out myself.....but so far he seems to have some common sense to go with book smarts.

Ott is the captain here in attitude though. He is probably too much of a pest and freeballer on the ice to want to give him the actual "C". He would be deserving, but he's just nuts enough that you want to channel that energy instead of him worrying about the other diplomatic things that come with the "C".

Good stuff.  I'd add Ennis to the new core group -- I think he plays with much more of an edge than most give him credit for (and much more than Stafford, Pommer, Vanek, etc.).  In any case though RR has definitely given bigger roles to guys like Weber and Gerbe, with good results so far.  And it does seem like there is more of an overall edge to the team's play.

View Postcarpandean, on 04 March 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

The only thing that I can hope is that he was just totally gassed from being out there QB'ing the PP for 1:21 when it happened.  I mean, the Sabres do skate 200ft a lot, so it's possible. :unsure:

I've criticized Pommer plenty of times, but I think you're right on this.

I'd still take the C from him and give it to Ott, Regehr or Gerbe in a heartbeat though (although maybe best to do so in the offseason or perhaps following a trade of Pommer at the deadline).

#24 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

View Postcarpandean, on 04 March 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

It may explain it, but doesn't excuse it.  Even if it was hopeless, he should have continued to skate, to move his legs.  You never know.