404 replies to this topic

#1 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

Can the Sabres pull off the South Florida sweep? Panthers pulled off a big win Tuesday against the Pens scoring 6 goals while going 4 for 7 on the PP. Florida's rookies have been carrying the team. Drew Shore and Johnathan Huberdeau are both in the top 6 in team scoring, Huberdeau is 2nd in the league for rookie scoring. Peter Mueller is turning out to be a signing well worth the risk due to his past injuries. Not sure if Clemmensen or Theodore will be in net, rumors have it Theodore is being shopped but he got pulled last game and Clemmensen shut down the Pens in the 3rd for the win. Jacob Markstrom is the future, he'll be called up as soon as a spot opens up.

Sabres are 8-5-1 in Florida since the last lockout, 4-1-1 in the last 6.

It's my first GDT so let's make it worth it. Go Sabres!

#2 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,837 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

#3 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

Damn I was just in the process of making the GDT. Beat me to it.
I was 1 fo 1 this year when making the thread, don't let me down ;)

I was happy they won, and looked like an Nhl team last game, and on paper, Florida is beatable. But I'm just not confident in the team quite yet. Let's see some continued fire and some mistake free Dman play and I may just come around... Go Sabres

#4 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

The good news about this trip is, parents and mentors are with them there, so you know the team isn't getting crazy and drinking margaritas on the beach in to the early morning hours...

#5 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,826 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

I'll jump in. I saw a lot of positives in the Tampa game one of which was the win. I'd like to see more positives out of this game. Namely another win. Winning breeds confidence yada yada yada. Still far from convinced that this team is anywhere close to being a playoff team. Hopefully there's a deal or two in the works that will upgrade the roster if not for now then for the future. As always, GO SABRES !

#6 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

Not gonna lie, but winning but not making playoffs scares me. Why? Because this team has been known for the last three seasons, that when their back is against the wall, they need to play hard and earn their paychecks and for three years, they have been successful with late season runs. If they accomplish that again, it guarantees Ron Rolston will return to the team next season, and there will be a lot of uncertainty again entering next season to see if Rolston can get a quick start, unlike Ruff.

Theres a chance the team goes on a run and it has more to do with players knowing their season is on the line, then Rolston's change of philosophy from Ruff. All while, losing any chance of drafting a top-3 prospect.

#7 kishoph

kishoph

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:48 AM

I'm hoping this is the game where we see some goal production from the Sabres. I think against TB, the plan was to shut them down, with the Panthers, who are allowing the most GA's and having the largest goal differential, maybe this will be a cure for the offense. They have to keep out of the box.

#8 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,266 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 28 February 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

The good news about this trip is, parents and mentors are with them there, so you know the team isn't getting crazy and drinking margaritas on the beach in to the early morning hours...
Maybe that's exactly what they need. This team has played so wound up and afraid to make mistakes, a night of just cutting it loose may be what the doctor ordered.

#9 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,837 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

Not going to be able to watch this one as I will be in the car on the road to Cleveland, but maybe a little RJ on the radio will be good.

#10 Derrico

Derrico

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 28 February 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

Not gonna lie, but winning but not making playoffs scares me. Why? Because this team has been known for the last three seasons, that when their back is against the wall, they need to play hard and earn their paychecks and for three years, they have been successful with late season runs. If they accomplish that again, it guarantees Ron Rolston will return to the team next season, and there will be a lot of uncertainty again entering next season to see if Rolston can get a quick start, unlike Ruff.

Theres a chance the team goes on a run and it has more to do with players knowing their season is on the line, then Rolston's change of philosophy from Ruff. All while, losing any chance of drafting a top-3 prospect.

I hate to admit it but I wouldn't mind the collapse to continue as well. Not only would that top 3 pick be gold but we need some change at the trade deadline looking towards the future. If we're at all within striking distance you know Darcy won't be trading expiring contracts for draft picks and may even add one to the team.

#11 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 28 February 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

Mixed emotions about making the playoffs as well.  I think they need to bottom out to improve their draft pick and truly begin a rebuild of this team.  On the other hand you like to see Rolston succeed.

View Postd4rksabre, on 28 February 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

They need to bring back that commercial as well as the Labatt Blue, we were biting this morning.

#12 It Figures

It Figures

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

I'm not looking for this team to make the playoffs. It would be nice, though, if they started playing a more competitive brand of hockey -- just to make the games themselves more watchable.

I also want to say -- and I know I lack objectivity when it comes to the pride of Oxford, Michigan -- that I thought Gerbe looked good against Tampa Bay (although he was on the ice for their only goal? I missed that). I saw a shot of Rolston talking intently with Gerbe and Ennis at one point on the bench. Maybe it was just that Tampa is a good match-up for Gerbe, but I was encouraged by what I saw.

#13 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

On paper, this game looks to be about as meaningless as they get to the rest of the NHL. To the Sabres fans, I think this game will tell a lot. If a desperate Buffalo team can't beat the Panthers to get a 2nd win in a row, there is no hope to get a string of wins together. Buffalo has lost to every lesser team in the East so far and if that does not stop, good luck when the real teams start showing up on the schedule....

#14 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,837 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostBRAWNDO, on 28 February 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

Mixed emotions about making the playoffs as well.  I think they need to bottom out to improve their draft pick and truly begin a rebuild of this team.  On the other hand you like to see Rolston succeed.

They need to bring back that commercial as well as the Labatt Blue, we were biting this morning.

C'mon Steve!

#15 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostIt Figures, on 28 February 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

Agreed.  The Labatt's commercial is one of my all-time faves.  I still use the tag line, and people look at me weird because virtually no one else here in Texas has seen that commercial.

View PostIt Figures, on 28 February 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

and I know I lack objectivity when it comes to the pride of Oxford, Michigan

I find your lack of objectivity disturbing.

#16 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,769 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostBRAWNDO, on 28 February 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

Draft position and player moves are no where near as important to me as Regier sticking around yet another season. For superficial entertainment's sake I'd like to see a run of victories and team improvement, but as a fan interested in the Cup and the long haul, I want to insure the Sabres have a new GM in place by draft day.

#17 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 28 February 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

Draft position and player moves are no where near as important to me as Regier sticking around yet another season. For superficial entertainment's sake I'd like to see a run of victories and team improvement, but as a fan interested in the Cup and the long haul, I want to insure the Sabres have a new GM in place by draft trade deadline day.

#18 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostCallawaySabres, on 28 February 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

On paper, this game looks to be about as meaningless as they get to the rest of the NHL. To the Sabres fans, I think this game will tell a lot. If a desperate Buffalo team can't beat the Panthers to get a 2nd win in a row, there is no hope to get a string of wins together. Buffalo has lost to every lesser team in the East so far and if that does not stop, good luck when the real teams start showing up on the schedule....
+1.  Solid, succinct analysis of what tonight means.

#19 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

Let's hope they can start to put together a win streak.  It seems like more often than not, the Sabres flounder from the beginning of the season through their first long road trip (normally to the west coast) and then pull it together.  I hope that is the case tonight and they start to regain some confidence so the real evaluation of who should stay or go a the end of the season can start taking place.

#20 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

If they lose I am happy because we are that much closer to drafting really high.
If they win I am happy because we won the game.

Honestly though winning games at this point is like winning the battle but ultimate losing the war, year after year after year.

#21 Rayzer32

Rayzer32

El Capitan!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 28 February 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

If they lose I am happy because we are that much closer to drafting really high.

Honestly though winning games at this point is like winning the battle but ultimate losing the war, year after year after year.

Just like the Bills. Always win just enough games to screw them in draft position and miss out on the franchise QB. Of course they usually screw themselves with horrible drafting anyways.

Go Sabres.

#22 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 28 February 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

So a 7-1 game would be pretty good.

I'm thinking we win again tonight though.

#23 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,782 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

“We’re almost starting from scratch here. I’ve been pretty fortunate, pretty blessed in my career to be on good teams and be on teams that have good confidence. I still think I’m on a good team. We didn’t have the confidence, and I don’t think we were playing the smartest hockey we could play. We’re going to keep working on the habits."

“It’s unfortunate Lindy can’t be here with us, but it gives us a chance to reset and look at it from a different perspective. We are finding a lot of habits where Lindy was talking about them, but it wasn’t coming around."

“It’s not a knock on Lindy. It’s not a knock on these boys. You start from scratch and build the game you want to play. We’re hoping that it makes a difference this season, for sure, but I think it will serve the organization much, much better to get the game where we want to have it. Our hope, obviously, is win, win, win as much as we can, but it’s going to be about the process more than anything.”

Guess who?

#24 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,898 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 28 February 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

“We’re almost starting from scratch here. I’ve been pretty fortunate, pretty blessed in my career to be on good teams and be on teams that have good confidence. I still think I’m on a good team. We didn’t have the confidence, and I don’t think we were playing the smartest hockey we could play. We’re going to keep working on the habits."

“It’s unfortunate Lindy can’t be here with us, but it gives us a chance to reset and look at it from a different perspective. We are finding a lot of habits where Lindy was talking about them, but it wasn’t coming around."

“It’s not a knock on Lindy. It’s not a knock on these boys. You start from scratch and build the game you want to play. We’re hoping that it makes a difference this season, for sure, but I think it will serve the organization much, much better to get the game where we want to have it. Our hope, obviously, is win, win, win as much as we can, but it’s going to be about the process more than anything.”

Guess who?

Is it cheating if I already know?  :P

#25 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Guess who?
Hmm Steve Ott?

#26 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Guess who?

Miller.

#27 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Guess who?

Are they all the same person?  The last one sounds like it could be someone higher up the food chain.

#28 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,374 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Guess who?

Rob Ray :flirt:

#29 sabres4life19

sabres4life19

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Guess who?

vanek?

#30 WildCard

WildCard

I haven't slept for 10 days, because that would be too much.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

Guess who?

Pommer?

#31 Chris_in_UT

Chris_in_UT

tie-dyer extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

My mom has never been the biggest hockey fan. She lived out there for decades, but never got swept up in it. Now she lives out here, visits WNY every month. She's out there right now and took in the Islanders game the other night with some friends. Even she noticed just how sad and pathetic they looked that game. She also watched the Tampa game. With her feeble hockey sense, even she noticed that there was a marked upward tick to the whole game. Sharper passes. Fewer mistakes. More consistency. Better attention to assignments and location on the ice.

If she noticed it, you can bet that there's definitely a change. This game is a litmus test, plain and simple. Win, and there's a start of a mini winning streak. 28 games left, and 9-11 points out of a respectable playoff spot.

My focus tonight is going to be to see how Myers responds to his last game. A couple of screw-ups, but a great goal, mostly excellent skating and puck handling. Let's see how he does tonight.

Go Sabres. PLEASE ... GO!!! WIN!

#32 WildCard

WildCard

I haven't slept for 10 days, because that would be too much.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

3-2 win for the good guys, calling a Foligno goal

#33 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Guess who?
Michal Grosek

(He's back!  "I will play in playoffs.")

#34 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Paul Hamilton@pham1717

Looks like Foligno and Brennan are the healthy scratches. Scott is playing

Foligno is a healthy scratch but Scott is playing.  This is the point where I wonder if I'm going to actually watch the game.  (Also, please tell me this doesn't mean they're finalizing a Foligno trade.)

#35 billsrcursed

billsrcursed

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostRobviously, on 28 February 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Paul Hamilton@pham1717

Foligno is a healthy scratch but Scott is playing.  This is the point where I wonder if I'm going to actually watch the game.  (Also, please tell me this doesn't mean they're finalizing a Foligno trade.)

wtf

#36 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,769 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostRobviously, on 28 February 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Paul Hamilton@pham1717

Foligno is a healthy scratch but Scott is playing. This is the point where I wonder if I'm going to actually watch the game. (Also, please tell me this doesn't mean they're finalizing a Foligno trade.)

I wouldn't freak out over this. Remember, Rolston is the intellectual hockey coach. He's probably taking measure of who on the roster can do what and developing a thorough spreadsheet.

Edited by sizzlemeister, 28 February 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#37 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

Guess who?

My guess is Ott but I really don't know.

I will say this:  the quote very closely reflects my perception of this team, and why Lindy needed to go.  I love the guy, he's a good coach, but the team just wasn't listening to him.  My wife nags me about stuff that I know I should do, I know I should do those things, I want to do those things, I love my wife and know she's right, but sometimes I just don't get around to doing those things.  Lindy was the nagging wife at the end.

#38 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

Wait, is Hecht still going to be in the lineup tonight?  Oh, for Pete's sake.....

#39 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,898 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Maybe Foligno will stop trying to stick handle through defenders now.

#40 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,374 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Foligno sits and Hechts plays...  Yeah I get that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game Discussion Thread