57 replies to this topic

#1 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

There. I said it.

Hecht has nothing. I applaud his courage for suiting up in the NHL with all his concussion problems but the fact is he plays like he's afraid of getting hit. The other night Ray criticized him for turning away.

It's just very demoralizing to see him on the Sabres year after year, even if he is a "bargain" at $1 million this year.
He's taken about $4 milliion of our budget almost every year for the past four and he hasn't been close to compensating us with that kind of prodction. He marginally contributes but I'm concerned that he shouldn't be cleared to play and he's at big risk in just about the roughest sports league there is.

He heads up a list of Sabres who've been on the take for years and they have to be cleaned out this summer.

Edited by 716, 24 February 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#2 Icehole

Icehole

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

I agree that the Sabres need to bring up some of the young guys to play center.  Hecht is playing scared of a headache and while I sympathize, he is no good playing for this team.  I think he got hit earlier in the season and it may have scared him... Not sure that he isn't playing with symptoms.  For his sake I think he should step down.

#3 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostNorth Buffalo, on 24 February 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

I agree that the Sabres need to bring up some of the young guys to play center.  Hecht is playing scared of a headache and while I sympathize, he is no good playing for this team.  I think he got hit earlier in the season and it may have scared him... Not sure that he isn't playing with symptoms.  For his sake I think he should step down.

Right, they should waive him or he should just retire.

#4 Rico7

Rico7

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

I have no problem with that. It was a mistake to bringhim back.

#5 bobis

bobis

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

yeah, I can agree with that. Put a kid there, can't hurt.

#6 Peppy22

Peppy22

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Just play Hecht in a role that suits him. 4th line or 3rd line center.

His job is to shutdown the opponent and lets face it.

19GP 0G 5A +1

Thats good numbers for a 4th line center so just play him in that role and on the PK. He is the only defensive reliable center the Sabres have. Ennis not responsible on defense... I think we don't need to talk about Hodgson's defense ability as well. Grigorenko is not there yet. Ott isn't really a center.

This will be his last season in Buffalo. Play him as a shutdown 4th line center and a PK guy. Simple as it is. 7-12 minutes per game and its fine.

Edited by Peppy22, 24 February 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#7 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,167 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostPeppy22, on 24 February 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

19GP 0G 5A +1

Thats good numbers for a 4th line center so just play him in that role and on the PK. He is the only defensive reliable center the Sabres have. Ennis not responsible on defense... I think we don't need to talk about Hodgson's defense ability as well. Grigorenko is not there yet. Ott isn't really a center.

This will be his last season in Buffalo. Play him as a shutdown 4th line center and a PK guy. Simple as it is. 7-12 minutes per game and its fine.

I'm not sure how reliable I would characterize him anymore.  He is positionally responsible, as he always was, but he doesn't seem to have the legs to keep up anymore.  And now that it appears our interim coach is going to a more up-tempo game, Hecht's lack of foot speed is going to be even more of a hindrance.  Dude has lost a couple steps since his lost season last year.

#8 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

19GP 0G 5A +1

WE shut down no one.  If that is his only role than he is failing miserbly and should likely be waived.  Obviously this team is playing a meaningless season at this point. Realism says get young people experience.  That is if DR hasn't screwed up the cap too much to bring kids in.

Edited by Grumpy, 24 February 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#9 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

View Postweave, on 24 February 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

I'm not sure how reliable I would characterize him anymore.  He is positionally responsible, as he always was, but he doesn't seem to have the legs to keep up anymore.  And now that it appears our interim coach is going to a more up-tempo game, Hecht's lack of foot speed is going to be even more of a hindrance.  Dude has lost a couple steps since his lost season last year.

Unfortunately, the foot speed argument can apply to a good portion of the roster. They're not quite Philly after the lockout slow, but I don't think they have the guys to play an up tempo style. Sadly I think the trap would be better for this roster.

#10 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

View Postweave, on 24 February 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

He is not our problem. I don't think he should be on the team next year, but our problem is lack of talent. We need people who can score, waiving him doesn't do that

#11 Peppy22

Peppy22

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostGrumpy, on 24 February 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

WE shut down no one.  If that is his only role than he is failing miserbly and should likely be waived.  Obviously this team is playing a meaningless season at this point. Realism says get young people experience.  That is if DR hasn't screwed up the cap too much to bring kids in.

As a team no. But we are talking about a player not about the team.

Every team in the freaking league has players that have the job to shut down or calm down the play for a shift or two. THey usually play on the PK and 3rd or 4th line. They usually end up somewhere between 15-25 points if they have an scoring upside.

Edited by Peppy22, 24 February 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#12 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hecht has been terrible, even if he somehow found 5 assists. He basically floats around, and makes little impact in the games.

#13 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

These are indeed dark times.  There isn't anyone on the roster safe from the wrath of the fanbase.

For the record, I hated, I say hated, the decision to bring him back.

Edited by wjag, 24 February 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#14 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostPeppy22, on 24 February 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

As a team no. But we are talking about a player not about the team.

Every team in the freaking league has players that have the job to shut down or calm down the play for a shift or two. THey usually play on the PK and 3rd or 4th line. They usually end up somewhere between 15-25 points if they have an scoring upside.

Right, everything you said is true and I agree with.  He doesn't make the roster of what  % of teams in this league.  His contract is friendly. Who is picking him up if we waive him?  We may find out.

#15 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

The litmus test, IMO, for any player currently on the roster is "Will they be a productive player on this team 3-4 years from now?"  Players like Hecht, Regehr, Leopold and Sulzer who have zero chance of helping this team in the future so they should be the first to go.

#16 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

19GP 0G 5A +1

Seeing as this season is going to hell anyway, I'd tell Hecht to enjoy his 7-12 min per game and retire in the offseason.

#17 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

We have a 0.7% chance of making the playoffs. We are basically out of the race already. Unless a major major trade is made in the next 48 hours, I think we just let players ride this season out, give Grigo more ice time and trade pieces at the deadline

#18 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,873 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Jochen Hecht, the worlds most undeserving whipping boy.

#19 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 24 February 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

Jochen Hecht, the worlds most undeserving whipping boy.

Ja wohl, mein herr.

Ach du mein Güte!

#20 nucci

nucci

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

19GP 0G 5A +1

Our PK is near the bottom of the leagues along with GA, SOG and every other defensive category you can think of. Not all his fault but obviously not good results.

#21 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,532 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Hecht is a 4th liner with a very modest contract.  An unspectacular depth guy that most teams need.  If he was making a few million per year then by all means dump the contract.  But, he isn't making much so I don't mind having him around.

IMHO, veteran guys making a lot who aren't producing (Leo, Stafford, etc.) are the first guys who need to go.

#22 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

An aging forward who was signed to almost the league minimum to fill some room. Was signed with the intention of most likely being a healthy scratch on a 100% healthy team, a guy who was kept because he was always known to be a solid, consistent defensive forward who could score an occassional goal. And yet even though his line rarely manages to score a goal, he's still a +1. On the worst defensive team in the league the opposition rarely scores when he's on the ice.

Yeah, lets waive him the bum.

#23 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 24 February 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

An aging forward who was signed to almost the league minimum to fill some room. Was signed with the intention of most likely being a healthy scratch on a 100% healthy team, a guy who was kept because he was always known to be a solid, consistent defensive forward who could score an occassional goal. And yet even though his line rarely manages to score a goal, he's still a +1. On the worst defensive team in the league the opposition rarely scores when he's on the ice.

GREAT perspective. Much appreciated.

GO SABRES!!!

#24 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,873 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Amen. The guy was brought in as a supplementary piece to provide some cheap assurance on a team that was believed to be a contender.

The rub is that this team sucks. I feel bad for Hecht.

#25 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

This

#26 Tondas

Tondas

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

I think it all depends on when we give up on the season.  As long as we're still trying to win, Hecht needs to play.  When we're out of contention, he's taking up a spot on the roster where we could see what the kids in Rochester have to offer.

#27 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Battista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

View PostRico7, on 24 February 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

I have no problem with that. It was a mistake to bringhim back.

It was good to get rid of him in the first place - why did they bring him back?  He is useless - better than being shorthanded - that's about the best that can be said of his game play.  

Who should be blamed for his return?  Lindy or Regier?    I had the impression it wasn't Lindy's decision.

#28 Meathead

Meathead

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

what do the sabres have to go now to have a shot at the playoffs, im guessing from memory but 19-6-4 seems about right

does anybody think they or any other team in the nhl has any realistic shot at doing that? id say 0.7% is generous

if they arent there already they are extremely close to just throwing in the towel. i suppose we have to leave it up to mgt when to actually do that, but if they brought all the youngins up right now to play out the string i wouldnt mind. watching these veterans sleepwalk their way through blunder after blunder is a total waste of time

btw - i dont have a problem with hecht, hes cheap and is a great shutdown player for a team in contention. but since the sabres arent that team he and a couple others might as well make way for some playing time for the next generation

#29 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

View PostJsixspd, on 24 February 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

It was good to get rid of him in the first place - why did they bring him back?  He is useless - better than being shorthanded - that's about the best that can be said of his game play.  

Who should be blamed for his return?  Lindy or Regier? I had the impression it wasn't Lindy's decision.

Nobody should be blamed. They both thought, along with the majority of the people who posted about it on this board, that it was a good idea. And most still do.

http://forums.sabres...ack-in-buffalo/

#30 bcardona

bcardona

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Big deal he's a plus 1.  He is part of the old sabres that needs to go.  He doesn't initiate any physical play.  He's the perfect player for Pommers to captain, boring as hell and no jam.

#31 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

View Postbcardona, on 24 February 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

Big deal he's a plus 1.  He is part of the old sabres that needs to go.  He doesn't initiate any physical play.  He's the perfect player for Pommers to captain, boring as hell and no jam.

It is a big deal on a team -15 in GF/GA differential.

What hasn't he done that he was brought in to do?

#32 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,873 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

View Postbcardona, on 24 February 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

So you haven't watched a single game this season then. Got it.

#33 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

You gotta be Hechten.

Edited by qwksndmonster, 24 February 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#34 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

No one will argue that Hecht shouldn't be on this roster but this team is a lost cause this year and Hecht only has about 30 something games left in his NHL career.

#35 kishoph

kishoph

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:47 AM

When he's playing 8-10 minutes on the 4th line and PK (as he has under Rolston), I have no problem with him on the team, when he's getting 15+ minutes on the 3rd line (as he was under Ruff), it bothers me. Every team has it's "role players", as long as they're are in the right role, they can be a good fit.

#36 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,873 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

View Postkishoph, on 25 February 2013 - 04:47 AM, said:

When he's playing 8-10 minutes on the 4th line and PK (as he has under Rolston), I have no problem with him on the team, when he's getting 15+ minutes on the 3rd line (as he was under Ruff), it bothers me. Every team has it's "role players", as long as they're are in the right role, they can be a good fit.

His role IS the 3rd line. If the 3rd line is a checking line. And considering how much time this team spends on the PK, of course his ice time numbers are going to be higher than we'd like. That's indicative of the poor state of this team.

Edited by d4rksabre, 25 February 2013 - 06:58 AM.

#37 sabres4life19

sabres4life19

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

I dont know who in rochester would be better suited than hecht anyway. Tarnasky? Adam? bring Ellis back?

#38 Who Else?

Who Else?

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

I don't see why you would move him.  This team is obviously going nowhere this season, and he is not under contract for next.  Why not worry about the players who will not be UFA's after this season.  This guy is all but a guaranteed open roster spot for next year.  The only forward player stuck on the bench or in Rochester that should recieve more ice time is Gringo and he can not fill the role Hecht plays.

#39 bcardona

bcardona

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 24 February 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

It is a big deal on a team -15 in GF/GA differential.

What hasn't he done that he was brought in to do?

When the coach and "leaders" are asking for everyone to contribute 100% "look in the mirror" "ask yourself" blah blah blah, and he dumps the puck to avoid physical play, it's game over.  The negative impact that has on the team can't be dismissed.  Does he get an exception because he's a vet with an injury history?  How would his teammates react if he actually drove to the net and sold out to try and score?  "F YEAH YOYO LET"S GO"  Instead it's "yoyo took the easy way out...he's a vet putting food of his family's table, maybe I'll try that too".  Maybe Ott will have the balls to challenge him next time he does that.  Because we all know Pommers doesn't.

As for Amerks, Porter for one, glad they brought him up.  Varone is a stretch. Tarnasky maybe.  I don't know, I just want someone who doesn't appear to be going through the motions (sure, arguably effectively, since he's a +1).

#40 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

I really don't get this boards obsession with power forward types. Yes the sabres could use one or two, but the players we have actually get called out for playing the game that made them famous and not driving to the net and running anything in sight. Hecht is cheap and does his job. End of in my mind. I wouldn't mind trading him at the deadline for a pick though. Hecht's role is that of a defensive role player - 3rd or 4th line; however, just because he plays there does not mean he will or should be driving players in the boards or storming the crease. He is not a power forward and would get knocked down if he tried to barge his way to the front of the goal. Quite frankly, at least Hecht gets the pucks to the net