41 replies to this topic

#1 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

So Ruff is gone, I thought I would make a place to discuss this man. Not so much endless he needs to go, more of a discussion - when should he go? Who should replace him? Why has he not made trades yet? etc. etc. A nice centralised location. Plus if he ever checks the boards there is a thread organised for him to read about his short comings

#2 repster

repster

Tim Murray: no mistakes like this guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

End of the year.  Rick Dudley. Clean house and maximize assets on or before trade deadline day.  Won't deal now as negotiating position will be better later.

I actually left the game with more than 7 minutes left tonight.  New record for me.

#3 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

I forget who made the post but in the "Lindy Ruff Fired" thread someone mentioned that Darcy would have done anything to save Lindy's job. Firing his long-time wingman and friend was the last weapon in his arsenal -- there is no trade in the works, or offer sheet coming for O'reilly, or anything like that. That was his last move and we'll see how it pans out... so far 0/2. Lol. My bet is he is gone this summer.

#4 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

He's reading this ? O.k. I'll go. Darcy this team you've built is well, just bad. I feel real sorry for you and this situation you've put this franchise in but I have no qualms about telling you its time to move along. See, we need a change in philosophy. A culture shift so to speak. Your way of doing things really hasn't worked that well and Perhaps someone else should implement a game plan on how best to move forward. But do it quick Darcy. I realize speed isn't one of your strong points so do try to hurry would you. And thanks for your service to the team.

Edited by bunomatic, 23 February 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#5 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

I would relieve him of his duties now.

Hire a consultant to be interim GM.

Hire the best available GM Candidate during the off season, allow him to pick the coach.

Start the rebuild in June.

#6 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

Go Darcy Go! I'm pulling for you.

#7 neverenough

neverenough

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:45 AM

Darcy thank you for making us bored to death and being a huge waste of my time.

Edited by neverenough, 24 February 2013 - 02:47 AM.

#8 Hartman

Hartman

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

he should have been gone two years ago, when ownership changed.  

unfortunately, we can't go back in time, so he should be gone immediately.

#9 sicknfla

sicknfla

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

Same response different thread......BRIAN BURKE!!! It is a no brainer. He would be coming back to the division that fired him and he would make the changes we need. No guarantee that they all pan out but he is the type of gm we need. One that will come in and make it HIS team..at least half this roster would be turned over.

#10 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

View Postsicknfla, on 24 February 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

Same response different thread......BRIAN BURKE!!! It is a no brainer. He would be coming back to the division that fired him and he would make the changes we need. No guarantee that they all pan out but he is the type of gm we need. One that will come in and make it HIS team..at least half this roster would be turned over.

I wouldn't mind him if it weren't for his political/ gay rights activism. I want a GM who solely deals with hockey.

#11 Icehole

Icehole

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

Forget about a retread GM, pick up an agressive "younger" hockey guy in there who has as much attention to detail as Ralston.  See if the Sabres can steal one of the USA team developmental organizers that Ralston knows.

#12 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,310 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

There really needs to be a pinned "All things Darcy Regier" thread. Is there any doubt he will be the #1 topic of conversation from now until he his gone?

#13 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

View Postsicknfla, on 24 February 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

Again, he just makes goonish teams. He was the GM for 5 years in Toronto and never made the playoffs - with no money issues. He has also drafted appallingly (ask the Leaf fans). He is a character and outspoken - the very opposite of Regier, but I don't think he is right for the job. Also, he has just taken another job in Anaheim, I doubt he quits that for at least a year.

An assistant GM would be our best chance I think.

Also I was thinking, how about as Regier's swan song he offer sheets ROR for us, accepts the other GMs will hate him but knows he is leaving in the summer and it is his final present to this club. That and getting 2 more firsts for this draft.

#14 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,310 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostNorth Buffalo said:

Forget about a retread GM, pick up an agressive "younger" hockey guy in there who has as much attention to detail as Ralston.  See if the Sabres can steal one of the USA team developmental organizers that Ralston knows.
Let's hope that is the plan and the only reason Regier remains as GM is because the person they have in mind is unavailable to them until the off-season.

#15 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

I will GM this team for $1

If they win 1 playoff series my salary is $500K

2 series $1million

Get to the Cup $2 million

Win the Cup...$5 million

That would be 6 free years of service if my name was Darcy.

Ted Black.....give me a call........maybe you could put up with my "negativity bubble" now?????????

#16 grinreaper

grinreaper

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 24 February 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

I will GM this team for $1

If they win 1 playoff series my salary is $500K

2 series $1million

Get to the Cup $2 million

Win the Cup...$5 million

That would be 6 free years of service if my name was Darcy.

Ted Black.....give me a call........maybe you could put up with my "negativity bubble" now?????????

With that math it is obvious you should go nowhere near salary cap issues.

#17 mrm33064

mrm33064

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

Darcy plants his stake in the ground and that's that.   He commits to a position, pushes his chips in, and that's it.   That approach worked like a charm to steal a #1 for Gaustad.    Unfortunately, right now he's got all his chips in the pot and flopped squat.

The only way we're going to get any kind of reasonable deal done anytime in the short-term is if some potential trade partner invents some kind of cap manipulation tactic that makes it plausible to offer us value.    MAYBE he can use the trade deadline as some type of leverage if a potential Cup winner thinks we (!?) have the last missing part they need, but other than I think we're stuck unless TP is in complete "fire sale" mode.

#18 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Battista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

While I think Ruff's time was due in Buffalo, the far greater problem for this team was, and is, Darcy Regier.   He gave Lindy Ruff a mediocre team to work with - other than Vanek, no scoring threats.    Look at Stafford - a winger with only ONE goal after 19 games played this season???  That is ridiculous and it ought to be unacceptable, especially for the money he's being paid and his non-nonchalant attitude towards his poor play.

And last night Stafford was MINUS 2 against the 22nd worst team in the NHL - this line made a bottom 10 team look like Stanley Cup timber.

#19 Icehole

Icehole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostJsixspd, on 24 February 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

While I think Ruff's time was due in Buffalo, the far greater problem for this team was, and is, Darcy Regier.   He gave Lindy Ruff a mediocre team to work with - other than Vanek, no scoring threats. Look at Stafford - a winger with only ONE goal after 19 games played this season???  That is ridiculous and it ought to be unacceptable, especially for the money he's being paid and his non-nonchalant attitude towards his poor play.

And last night Stafford was MINUS 2 against the 22nd worst team in the NHL - this line made a bottom 10 team look like Stanley Cup timber.

I have said for 3 years Staphyl (a bacteria) needs to go.  He is an infection that only hurts the team.  The guy only skates when his ass is on fire and right now he is having a hard time turning it on because he is getting older.  I can finally see an effort, but really.  Apparently his disease has spread to Pominville.  Time to dump both or at least put them on waivers and see if someone claims them if no trade is imminent.  Stafford's best value was at the end of last year, yet Darcy did nothing... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Edited by North Buffalo, 24 February 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#20 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

View PostNorth Buffalo, on 24 February 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

I have said for 3 years Staphyl (a bacteria) needs to go.  He is an infection that only hurts the team.  The guy only skates when his ass is on fire and right now he is having a hard time turning it on because he is getting older.  I can finally see an effort, but really.  Apparently his disease has spread to Pominville.  Time to dump both or at least put them on waivers and see if someone claims them if no trade is imminent.  Stafford's best value was at the end of last year, yet Darcy did nothing... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I agree. Staff is of no use. He's turned into a young Hecht.

#21 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

I'm so glad you are not our GM. You don't just dump players onto waivers when they have trade value, no matter how little

#22 Icehole

Icehole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostThirtyEight, on 24 February 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

I'm so glad you are not our GM. You don't just dump players onto waivers when they have trade value, no matter how little

In Stafford's case and at this point, if you cannot trade him, he makes the team worse and hurts the development of younger players, so normally I would agree, but in his case, I take issue with you kind genteman.  P.S. I worked on Capitol Hill for 15 years and say what you want about politics but the problems are not the result of people not putting in effort.  In fact they go at it so hard, they forget what they are actually trying to accomplish.  This attitude can't be said for the chumps and slackers playing for the Sabres.

P.S. My biggest frustration is for someone who says through words or deeds that "it is not my job."  And where I have worked that would get you fired on the spot...

Edited by North Buffalo, 24 February 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#23 cgang

cgang

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

When Pegula was hired, I thought it was "Love Lindy" first, "give Darcy a little bit of time" second.  Now it is the other way around.  I wouldn't trust Darcy with big changes starting now, so what's the point in keeping him?  To do the legwork on the next draft??  I just don't get it-- if you get rid of Ruff, you must get rid of Darcy and this whole extension thing is really, really perplexing.  

This team sucks and the biggest thing is no heart.  No heart, no talent, no accountability, or a little of all three.  Players that get paid way too much to be this fragile.   And no evident plan by management/ownership to fix it.  We're a country club now and maybe that's part of the problem.  

What a mess.

#24 carpandean

carpandean

If it ain't worth making a chart, it ain't worth saying.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

View Postmrm33064, on 24 February 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Darcy plants his stake in the ground and that's that.   He commits to a position, pushes his chips in, and that's it.   That approach worked like a charm to steal a #1 for Gaustad. Unfortunately, right now he's got all his chips in the pot and flopped squat.

It does make you wonder how many deals that would have been at least fair and would have bettered the team that he has missed.  Yeah, his strategy got him what he wanted in one trade, but what's the net result of continued application of the same policy?

Also, Ted Black was on WGR and said something along the lines of "last year, the big issue was center depth, and now we have Hodgson, Grigorenko and Girgensons."  Problem is that center depth wasn't pointed out last year; it was pointed out in the summer of 2007.  Darcy failed to address it for five years.  Of course, they would say that he didn't the resources, but how did he get those players?  Drafting and trading prospects/picks.  Resources did not limit him from making similar moves pre-TPegs.  Plus, they're all so young that not one of them has actually proven that he is an NHL scoring-line center yet.  Hodgson is the closest offensively, but has a long way to go defensively to count.  We won't know if he actually addressed the problem until at least next season.  That's six seasons of not fixing one of the biggest holes in the roster that a team can have.

Edited by carpandean, 24 February 2013 - 09:20 AM.

#25 blugold43

blugold43

Still pissed about the Gare trade.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

I would like to make list of Darcy's "great moves" so that i can try to understand the argument for keeping him.  Here is what I came up with:
-Barnaby for Barnes
-Warrener for Drury
-Gratton for Briere

So in 15 years he made 3 real difference making trades.  What else is there?  Any particularly great draft picks?  I guess Pominville at #55 is ok.

I'm not going document the case against him because it's been done to death.  I'm just trying to figure out the argument for him?

#26 freester

freester

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Why are these guys still here?  Whaley and Darcy just got extensions for complete mediocrity  I don't understand why.  Which organization is worse the Bills or Sabres?   The GM is more important than the coach and neither team will start winning until they get competent GMs on board.

#27 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,681 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

View Postthewookie1, on 24 February 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

I wouldn't mind him if it weren't for his political/ gay rights activism. I want a GM who solely deals with hockey.

Oh, man.  Are you serious.  Good grief!!

View Postcgang, on 24 February 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

When Pegula was hired, ...

What?  :blink:

=====

I think his days are really numbered now.

I hope the Sabres have someone in mind and he is in place soon enough to properly handle the trade deadline.  Failing that, then the draft and free-agency.

#28 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 24 February 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

Again, he just makes goonish teams. He was the GM for 5 years in Toronto and never made the playoffs - with no money issues. He has also drafted appallingly (ask the Leaf fans). He is a character and outspoken - the very opposite of Regier, but I don't think he is right for the job. Also, he has just taken another job in Anaheim, I doubt he quits that for at least a year.

An assistant GM would be our best chance I think.

Also I was thinking, how about as Regier's swan song he offer sheets ROR for us, accepts the other GMs will hate him but knows he is leaving in the summer and it is his final present to this club. That and getting 2 more firsts for this draft.

Haven't read the rest of this thread so I apologize if it has already been stated, but Vancouver, Anaheim and Toronto are better because of his work there. You can pick apart his successes and his relative input at these three places but just as the Sabres are who there record says they are, so too are these franchises and Burke played a major role in it all.

#29 sicknfla

sicknfla

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Exactly. My fear is we go and hire one of these so called up and comers and we find out he is no better. This is not the time to roll the dice. Go with a GM that has been in the league and is not afraid to be his own person. Not every move is going to work but you have to have the confidence too go after them. A new comer is going to be thankful for the job and be hesitant to do any large scale moves.

An inexperienced GM brings in an inexperienced coach. Not a good recipe for success. Now if an experienced GM were to hire an inexperienced coach then you would be a little more confident.

#30 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

A g.m. that already has a network of other g.m.s he counts as equals is what this team needs. Not a greenhorn just trying to fit in. We don't need to be getting fleeced by the old boys network.

#31 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

View Postbunomatic, on 24 February 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

A g.m. that already has a network of other g.m.s he counts as equals is what this team needs. Not a greenhorn just trying to fit in. We don't need to be getting fleeced by the old boys network.

Presuming we are not promoting Enroth to GM, I think the new GM will be fine and so it would be fine to upgrade an assistant GM around the league to our GM

#32 sicknfla

sicknfla

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

The best money TP will ever spend is on an experienced GM. Not an assistant to an experienced GM. He needs to make this his signature hire. Someone who will instantly restore credibility.

#33 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,920 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 24 February 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Presuming we are not promoting Enroth to GM, I think the new GM will be fine and so it would be fine to upgrade an assistant GM around the league to our GM

Right, someone hungry but with experience. And someone who is not afraid to have their own assistant GM.

View Postsicknfla, on 24 February 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

The best money TP will ever spend is on an experienced GM. Not an assistant to an experienced GM. He needs to make this his signature hire. Someone who will instantly restore credibility.

There is a difference between an assistant -to- the GM and an assistant GM.

#34 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,681 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 24 February 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

That sounds familiar .......... :ph34r:

#35 sicknfla

sicknfla

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 24 February 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

Right, someone hungry but with experience. And someone who is not afraid to have their own assistant GM.

There is a difference between an assistant -to- the GM and an assistant GM.

Not in my book. I want nothing to do with someone coming here who's previous job title was ass.

Edited by sicknfla, 24 February 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#36 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

View Posttom webster, on 24 February 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

Haven't read the rest of this thread so I apologize if it has already been stated, but Vancouver, Anaheim and Toronto are better because of his work there. You can pick apart his successes and his relative input at these three places but just as the Sabres are who there record says they are, so too are these franchises and Burke played a major role in it all.

I  humbly agree, and if anyone here expects a new GM to turn this travesty around in one or two years, you are extremely naive or sadly mistaken  Toronto is better than us.. I hope to hell I'm wrong and I hope you all can throw this in my face someday.  I'll gladly eat crow, but I don't expect to.

Edited by Grumpy, 24 February 2013 - 03:17 PM.

#37 WildCard

WildCard

April 6th, 2015.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

I would hate to see Burke as the replacement here. The Toronto rosters he put together never accomplished anything unless I'm mistaken. That being said I found an article on espn (I'm surprised they still have a hockey page at this point honestly) that brought to light the assistant gm from Detroit. Any thoughts on hiring him?http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nhl&id=22084

#38 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,258 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

View PostWildCard, on 24 February 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

I would hate to see Burke as the replacement here. The Toronto rosters he put together never accomplished anything unless I'm mistaken. That being said I found an article on espn (I'm surprised they still have a hockey page at this point honestly) that brought to light the assistant gm from Detroit. Any thoughts on hiring him?http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nhl&id=22084
Jim Nill.  He sounds pretty good based on that (small) write-up.  I also like the sound of the Toronto guy they mentioned (Claude Loiselle).  Basically I want someone smart from outside the organization who has a vision and the guts to make it a reality.  This should be a desirable job given the market and the owner.  

Nice screen name, BTW.  ("Wildcard, ######!")

#39 WildCard

WildCard

April 6th, 2015.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

View PostRobviously, on 24 February 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

Jim Nill.  He sounds pretty good based on that (small) write-up.  I also like the sound of the Toronto guy they mentioned (Claude Loiselle).  Basically I want someone smart from outside the organization who has a vision and the guts to make it a reality.  This should be a desirable job given the market and the owner.  

Nice screen name, BTW.  ("Wildcard, ######!")
.                                                                          Agreed; an owner with passion and deep pockets should attract quite a bit of suitors. Although if TP is nearing eventual Jerry jones level that some have suggested, I could easily see the candidate pool become much more shallow.                              It was a hard decision between this or DayMan but this seemed to relate to hockey a bit more

#40 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Same here.

I suppose we should be happy he seems to care now, but I rather just feel angered he didn't care earlier.

Stafford's been on my "dump 'em" list for years, as a close runner-up to Derek Roy.