Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

This forum has it.

Trade Vanek?  Geez.

These are the kinds of ideas that come out of the woodwork when you stay with a coach 8 years too long.

#2 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Trade them all.

#3 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Yeah ^ This is what I'm talking about.

#4 JHeinz4727

JHeinz4727

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

How does the New coach Ron Rolston, teach and coach speed and toughness on the puck??????? anybody? I am watching the first game under the new coach, and the sabres, are up to there old ways, being forced off the puck, just to stand back and watch Toronto, do what they want with it. There is no resistance from the sabres, just skating around, hoping for an errant pass. I know all the troubles wont dissappear in a 24 hour period,but holy cow, they looked horrible in the second period.

Good bye Darcy, Good bye Darcy, Good bye Darcy, the fat lady's singing your tune.

#5 Formerly Allan in MD

Formerly Allan in MD

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostJHeinz4727, on 21 February 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

How does the New coach Ron Rolston, teach and coach speed and toughness on the puck??????? anybody? I am watching the first game under the new coach, and the sabres, are up to there old ways, being forced off the puck, just to stand back and watch Toronto, do what they want with it. There is no resistance from the sabres, just skating around, hoping for an errant pass. I know all the troubles wont dissappear in a 24 hour period,but holy cow, they looked horrible in the second period.

Good bye Darcy, Good bye Darcy, Good bye Darcy, the fat lady's singing your tune.
Toughness on the puck is a non-starter for the current crew, especially those 6'7".

#6 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Makin' it rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Fire Rolston.  He had his chance.

PTR

#7 bills_fan_in_raleigh

bills_fan_in_raleigh

Live in Raleigh but Bleed Buffalo Sports an I hate the canes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

My main observation is this team is broken.   Not sure if its a all skill is broken, resolve is broken or what but that's the only way to describe it.   We have had players come in show some skill and within weeks they go in the dumper.   Did LR breakthrough team this bad that there is no recovery but a full fire sale and starting all over????

#8 sabretribe

sabretribe

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

Not sure it was LR that broke this team i think we will find out that they really are just soft and not that good.  Hopefully Terry and Ted will figure out that the real problem is Darcy who overpaid for these players HE put on the ice.   BYE BYE DARCY you cant blame Lindy anymore.   Time to take a look in the mirror DR

#9 Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings

Not a Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

Boy...one game under Rolston and we're all a flutter about how to change the team again.   :wallbash:

I agree that they didn't look any different last night and it's frustrating to watch, but did we all really think this team would suddenly change overnight just because the coach is new? Did anyone think that maybe Rolston wants a game or two to evaluate how he should run things? He just joined the team on Wednesday afternoon and barely has had any time to talk to the players, much less coach them. Let's give the guy a chance before we fire him, too.

#10 sabretribe

sabretribe

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

Let the new GM pick his own coach.

#11 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned in any discussion, but the Sabres have had the same strength and conditioning coach for some time. Seeng as they seem to get knocked off the puck often, don't go full-tilt when they're on the ice, etc.could it be that the Sabres are not in the best possible shape?  Last night, the team seems to play pretty well in the first period, but as the game went on, they backslid into old habits. They looked tired. Maybe the coach that should have been fired (or perhaps another one to go) should be Doug McKenney...

#12 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

View PostBuffalo Wings, on 22 February 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

Boy...one game under Rolston and we're all a flutter about how to change the team again.   :wallbash:

I agree that they didn't look any different last night and it's frustrating to watch, but did we all really think this team would suddenly change overnight just because the coach is new? Did anyone think that maybe Rolston wants a game or two to evaluate how he should run things? He just joined the team on Wednesday afternoon and barely has had any time to talk to the players, much less coach them. Let's give the guy a chance before we fire him, too.

This. I can't believe people actually thought changing the coach would miraculously make this team turn it around and go lossless. Firing the coach is just the first step in righting this ship.

#13 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,203 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 22 February 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

This. I can't believe people actually thought changing the coach would miraculously make this team turn it around and go lossless. Firing the coach is just the first step in righting this ship.

I doubt anyone thought that.

I didn't see the game last night, but from what I've read the usual lack luster effort for a good chunk of the game was evident.  If so, that is especially disturbing given the regime change that occurred 24hrs prior.  If that didn't result in a significant increase (if only temporary) in on ice energy, I cannot imagine what would.

#14 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostSabre Dance, on 22 February 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

Last night, the team seems to play pretty well in the first period, but as the game went on, they backslid into old habits. They looked tired.

Yeah, part of it is conditioning.  Part of it is executing the new plan versus slipping back into old habits.  I think there were flashes of what a RR-coached team will play like, and I liked it.  There was also too much of the old ways.  Blecch.

#15 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

Guys, he's had 16 hours to get it done, his time is up.

#16 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,208 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostMattPie, on 22 February 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

Guys, he's had 16 hours to get it done, his time is up.

I was tempted to start a "Is Ron Rolston on the 'Hot Seat'?" thread yesterday, before the game, as a joke, but I don't think it would be well received now.

#17 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostDoohickie, on 22 February 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

Yeah, part of it is conditioning.  Part of it is executing the new plan versus slipping back into old habits.  I think there were flashes of what a RR-coached team will play like, and I liked it.  There was also too much of the old ways.  Blecch.
Believe what you want, but nothing in that game was any different then what he have seen "flashes" of while it was coached by Ruff.
The fact that this team didn't come out and look any different should put to rest the idea that the team stopped playing for Ruff and shut him out hoping to get rid of him. These guys know how to play hockey and have been doing it for a huge part of their lives, they don't need a coach to teach them a system/scheme to make them play better

View PostEleven, on 22 February 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

I was tempted to start a "Is Ron Rolston on the 'Hot Seat'?" thread yesterday, before the game, as a joke, but I don't think it would be well received now.
I don't know, I could see Darcy throw him under the bus and use him as another Scapegoat to save his @ss again. Remember, he is only an "Interim"

#18 Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings

Not a Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

View Postweave, on 22 February 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

I doubt anyone thought that.

I didn't see the game last night, but from what I've read the usual lack luster effort for a good chunk of the game was evident.  If so, that is especially disturbing given the regime change that occurred 24hrs prior.  If that didn't result in a significant increase (if only temporary) in on ice energy, I cannot imagine what would.

About the only reason the lackluster play would disappear is because the players would think they're playing for their jobs. Maybe they don't fear that - or ever will, for that matter - because they have contracts with guaranteed money and agents and a union....or whatever.

Coaching changes in mid-season have worked for some teams in the past (it got them to the playoffs, at least), so maybe we'll see something over the course of the next 2 months. To be honest, I don't know what to expect...but I certainly didn't expect a miraculous turnaround in the first game.

View Postapuszczalowski, on 22 February 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

I don't know, I could see Darcy throw him under the bus and use him as another Scapegoat to save his @ss again. Remember, he is only an "Interim"

This happens everywhere...even in "the real world". I've seen plenty of people in my career cover things up, point blame at another group, or (worse yet) blame someone who recently left the company so that they wouldn't look bad.

#19 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

That would have been fantastic.

#20 Campy

Campy

Man created language to satisfy his deep need to complain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostBuffalo Wings, on 22 February 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

Not speaking for anybody else, I certainly expected them to receive the wake-up call.  

A player's skillset is his skillset, but the one thing he can control and improve upon on a night-to-night basis is his hustle, jam, whatever you want to call it.  I expected them to play hard, and while I won't say they mailed it in, they sure didn't respond to the opportunity to show their new (interim) coach what they have and how they can contribute.

Hopefully Rolston can reach them, but as much as I hate to say it, I think the complacency and comfort of the players in the dressing room may now be endemic and blowing up the roster might not be the worst thing to happen to this club.

I really hope they (the players) prove me wrong on that point.

#21 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Thread title edited.

#22 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

There is only one cure.

#23 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,203 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

More cowbell?

#24 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

By the time we're done here, well all be wearing gold plated diapers

#25 Koomkie

Koomkie

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

seriously?
the guy had the job for HOURS.

what the H.E.Double hockey sticks is wrong with you people? did you really think the team was going to be this amazing beast without even one practice with the new coach?

#26 kishoph

kishoph

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

I think the biggest asset of any coach and his staff is teaching, just about everything a professional athlete does has been taught to him, and they can continue to learn. You can definitely teach someone to skate faster, or shoot straighter or whatever, that's probably a lot more on the staff and trainers than the head coach, but still players can be taught to improve in those areas. As far as toughness on the puck, a lot of that comes down to desire, if a player really believes in the "system" and feels like he's part of it and also respected/ appreciated, he's gonna try harder. I know for myself, any job I ever had, if the boss/owner treated me good and I liked what I was doing, I tried much harder than someplace where I felt unappreciated or disrespected.
Good coaches make average players better, not good players average.

#27 Patty16

Patty16

High motor grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostBuffalo Wings, on 22 February 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

About the only reason the lackluster play would disappear is because the players would think they're playing for their jobs. Maybe they don't fear that - or ever will, for that matter - because they have contracts with guaranteed money and agents and a union....or whatever.

Coaching changes in mid-season have worked for some teams in the past (it got them to the playoffs, at least), so maybe we'll see something over the course of the next 2 months. To be honest, I don't know what to expect...but I certainly didn't expect a miraculous turnaround in the first game.

This happens everywhere...even in "the real world". I've seen plenty of people in my career cover things up, point blame at another group, or (worse yet) blame someone who recently left the company so that they wouldn't look bad.

The examples I've heard on the radio station that shall not be named had rosters with much more high end talent.

#28 Braedon

Braedon

You cannot leave the magic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 22 February 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

I don't think Darcy will have the chance.  Fans and management (I think) are locked in on him.  If RR fails, its not his system but the chess pieces.  All DR.

#29 Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings

Not a Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostPatty16, on 23 February 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

The examples I've heard on the radio station that shall not be named had rosters with much more high end talent.

Touche. Sometimes the right coach with the right players can make things work, however. I'm not saying that will be the case here, but there's enough talent on this team for them to be winning much more often than they are.

#30 Patty16

Patty16

High motor grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostBuffalo Wings, on 23 February 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

Touche. Sometimes the right coach with the right players can make things work, however. I'm not saying that will be the case here, but there's enough talent on this team for them to be winning much more often than they are.

To this I agree. How much more I'm not sure.  I just don't see this team as a sleeping giant waiting to be awakened by the professorial Rolston a la Pitt, LA, or NJD.

#31 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostPatty16, on 23 February 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

To this I agree. How much more I'm not sure.  I just don't see this team as a sleeping giant waiting to be awakened by the professorial Rolston a la Pitt, LA, or NJD.

I dunno, LA really shouldn't be considered elite. They won the cup because they got hot at the right time. But 2 seasons ago they were 7th, last season they were 8th and currently they are 11th. They are not an amazing team in my eyes. Similarly NJD don't really have much elite talent - they have Kovalchuck and they used to have Parise (Brodeur is too old to be a force anymore)