23 replies to this topic

#1 thewookie1

thewookie1

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

Though I give any of Eklund's trade rumors very little legitimacy; his recent post about the Sabres made me interested.

I would love Iginla...... maybe 4 years ago. I don't want us spending tons of players on a rental player.

Evander Kane, that is an interesting notion seeing as that would give us that ever important 2nd or 3rd power forward along with the fact that Kane has actually had some problems with Winnipeg in general.

#2 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

I love Iginla, but it would take so much to get him, and he probably only has a few really good seasons left. Kane seems like a head-case, i don't like his attitude - he says that the criticism he receives is (partly) because he is black, which just isn't true. Although I loved the guy at the draft and wanted us to move up to nab him

#3 Loyalty

Loyalty

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:43 AM

Darcy Regier was on WGR with Schopp and Bulldog and said he had spoken to a Western conference team indepth about a deal, a team that is struggling and had lost the previous night (Thur night)... only 2 Western teams which lost were Coyotes and Wild. Eklund did also mention in his post about Sabres/Coyotes discussing a deal about a defensman.

I have never been a Eklund fan, and nor am I one now. But, in recent months, he has been given credit by a number of reporters for being the first to report a trade or a news idea and wasnt he the first to announce the lockout was over?

#4 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 16 February 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

Darcy Regier was on WGR with Schopp and Bulldog and said he had spoken to a Western conference team indepth about a deal, a team that is struggling and had lost the previous night (Thur night)... only 2 Western teams which lost were Coyotes and Wild. Eklund did also mention in his post about Sabres/Coyotes discussing a deal about a defensman.

I have never been a Eklund fan, and nor am I one now. But, in recent months, he has been given credit by a number of reporters for being the first to report a trade or a news idea and wasnt he the first to announce the lockout was over?

He had a brief stint of being useful, around the end of the 04 lockout, and has basically done nothing since. Someone used to track how often he was right, last i saw it was around 3%

On the other hand, maybe he is in the know the most and trade talks just fall through frequently anyway. Did he definitely say they lost the night before? Nash and Col also played the night before

#5 deluca67

deluca67

67 - The Number of the Beast!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,019 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

View Postthewookie1, on 16 February 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

Though I give any of Eklund's trade rumors very little legitimacy; his recent post about the Sabres made me interested.

I would love Iginla...... maybe 4 years ago. I don't want us spending tons of players on a rental player.

Evander Kane, that is an interesting notion seeing as that would give us that ever important 2nd or 3rd power forward along with the fact that Kane has actually had some problems with Winnipeg in general.
Let's look at this under one premise, the Buffalo Sabres desperately want to make the playoffs this season.

Under that premise a move for a player like Iginla makes a lot of sense. Veteran player that has been through the wars that could give the lineup a injection of talent and give Lindy some real versatility with the lineup. What has to be weighed is the cost for Iginla compared to the reward of the playoffs. IMO, Iginla would do more for the Sabres playoff chances than say Ryan O'Reilly. Considering Iginla is a rental, I wouldn't be willing to give similar compensation.

#6 Loyalty

Loyalty

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostThirtyEight, on 16 February 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

He had a brief stint of being useful, around the end of the 04 lockout, and has basically done nothing since. Someone used to track how often he was right, last i saw it was around 3%

On the other hand, maybe he is in the know the most and trade talks just fall through frequently anyway. Did he definitely say they lost the night before? Nash and Col also played the night before

Yeah, Darcy said the struggling team "lost last night". Only leaves Coyotes and Minnesota. And honestly, it could see both of them try to get rid of some payroll soon. Coyotes because they're broke, and Minnesota just spend $200 million on two dudes, if they don't see this team getting anywhere this season, i could see them try to save a few bucks.

#7 billsrcursed

billsrcursed

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

Oh, Eklund... I thought we decided disclaimers in the title thread were required when discussing this cellar dweller?

#8 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,422 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

Rhett Warrener a few weeks ago said Iginla is a shell of his former self and can "no longer lead by example".  Mats Sundin part deux.

#9 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 16 February 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

Rhett Warrener a few weeks ago said Iginla is a shell of his former self and can "no longer lead by example".  Mats Sundin part deux.

For someone who infamously starts slow he has 9 points in 12 games. He also only has 1 goal - but I would expect that to increase, as he has 11 30 goal seasons. He is a power forward type player, they start dropping around his level. He might no longer be elite, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be a lethal 60-70 point player who can lead a team

#10 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Did Darcy really give that much detail?  I'll have to listen to that.

#11 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,581 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

View Postnobody, on 16 February 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Did Darcy really give that much detail?  I'll have to listen to that.

Darcys feeling a little more heat than usual so I wouldn't doubt he'd throw a bone.

Edited by bunomatic, 16 February 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#12 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

OK - listened over on the GR site.  That might be a bit of a red herring as he was talking about days off for the players when he mentioned that.  I would guess he was talking to Don Maloney of the Coyotes.  But Darcy was assistant GM to Maloney with the Islanders.  So that was probably just a call between friends rather than a specific trade call.

#13 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,422 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

http://audio.wgr550....make-a-move.htm

2:15 mark

#14 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Livve Neilo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Sabres trade Taro's rights straight up for Cal Clutterbuck.

Edited by qwksndmonster, 16 February 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#15 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

For where I think the Sabres are in their quest to build a contending team, I think trading several young high quality assets for Iginla would be pure insanity. Luckily Eklund said it, so we know it's not happening.

#16 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostVanek-Man, on 16 February 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

I noticed this as well. Can't remember specifics off the top of my head, but I know at least a handful of times over the past calendar year I've seen actual, legitimate hockey people tweet things like "Gotta give credit where credit is due" and cite HockeyBuzz. I don't take his word as gospel, but believe it or not I think he's slightly more reliable than he was maybe 2-3 years ago.

View Postthewookie1, on 16 February 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

Being a rental player actually plays in our favor. We will be able to get him considerably cheaper, and more importantly won't have to deal with his twilight years if he is, in fact, a "shell of his former self who cannot lead by example anymore." Of course, this only matters if the Sabres begin to look like a playoff contender once again, otherwise it would all be for naught. The article mentioned they'd be interested in Enroth, which makes sense, but I'm not sure how much more I would give. Paul Gaustad fetched a first round pick at last year's trade deadline -- I'm not going near that price this early in an already-shortened season, especially if the deal was made at the April 3rd Trade Deadline. Can you imagine if we traded a first round pick (or more!) for Iginla to play 11 games and miss the playoffs?

Normally I'm not one to propose the silly "our garbage for your best player" deals, but I honestly would not do much more than Enroth, Luke Adam, another mid-level prospect and maybe throw in a 3rd round pick. I don't think Calgary has any leverage, really -- they owe it to Iginla to give him a shot to win a cup elsewhere, and he will have a say in where he goes since he has a NMC. Perhaps Iginla chooses Buffalo because of his good buddy Robyn? If so, there's not too much Calgary can do other than accept our best offer.

View PostVanek-Man, on 16 February 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

Yeah, Darcy said the struggling team "lost last night". Only leaves Coyotes and Minnesota. And honestly, it could see both of them try to get rid of some payroll soon. Coyotes because they're broke, and Minnesota just spend $200 million on two dudes, if they don't see this team getting anywhere this season, i could see them try to save a few bucks.

As for the Coyotes thing (I don't believe it would be the Wild, and Eklund specifically mentioned Phoenix so there you go...): I'm thinking Derek Morris. A nice stay-at-home style d-man with a little physicality.

#17 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

View Postthesportsbuff, on 16 February 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

I noticed this as well. Can't remember specifics off the top of my head, but I know at least a handful of times over the past calendar year I've seen actual, legitimate hockey people tweet things like "Gotta give credit where credit is due" and cite HockeyBuzz. I don't take his word as gospel, but believe it or not I think he's slightly more reliable than he was maybe 2-3 years ago.

Being a rental player actually plays in our favor. We will be able to get him considerably cheaper, and more importantly won't have to deal with his twilight years if he is, in fact, a "shell of his former self who cannot lead by example anymore." Of course, this only matters if the Sabres begin to look like a playoff contender once again, otherwise it would all be for naught. The article mentioned they'd be interested in Enroth, which makes sense, but I'm not sure how much more I would give. Paul Gaustad fetched a first round pick at last year's trade deadline -- I'm not going near that price this early in an already-shortened season, especially if the deal was made at the April 3rd Trade Deadline. Can you imagine if we traded a first round pick (or more!) for Iginla to play 11 games and miss the playoffs?

Normally I'm not one to propose the silly "our garbage for your best player" deals, but I honestly would not do much more than Enroth, Luke Adam, another mid-level prospect and maybe throw in a 3rd round pick. I don't think Calgary has any leverage, really -- they owe it to Iginla to give him a shot to win a cup elsewhere, and he will have a say in where he goes since he has a NMC. Perhaps Iginla chooses Buffalo because of his good buddy Robyn? If so, there's not too much Calgary can do other than accept our best offer.

As for the Coyotes thing (I don't believe it would be the Wild, and Eklund specifically mentioned Phoenix so there you go...): I'm thinking Derek Morris. A nice stay-at-home style d-man with a little physicality.

Martin Hanzal.

I think I just gave Drane and Deluca a warm and fuzzy feeling.

#18 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

View Posttom webster, on 16 February 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

Martin Hanzal.

Not opposed to him, but I believe the original rumor (at least the HockeyBuzz incarnation of it) said they were talking about a D-man; so Morris immediately came to mind. To open it up to forwards, there's quite a few guys I'd like. Hanzal, Vermette, Doan (if we buy out Leino following the season), Vrbata...

I doubt Doan will be moved but with ownership STILL up in the air, maybe he'll decide he's had enough and ask them to trade him.

Edited by thesportsbuff, 16 February 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#19 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

View Posttom webster, on 16 February 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

Martin Hanzal.

Me too and probably most Sabre fans.

View Postthesportsbuff, on 16 February 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

Not opposed to him, but I believe the original rumor (at least the HockeyBuzz incarnation of it) said they were talking about a D-man; so Morris immediately came to mind. To open it up to forwards, there's quite a few guys I'd like. Hanzal, Vermette, Doan (if we buy out Leino following the season), Vrbata...

I doubt Doan will be moved but with ownership STILL up in the air, maybe he'll decide he's had enough and ask them to trade him.

I can't believe we are discussing an Ek rumour, but what if the D-Man was going from Buffalo to ?????.  Did this clown say the D-Man was going to Buffalo?

#20 gregkash

gregkash

4th line Ice, 1st line Heart.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

It's also important to note that Calgary sucks at making trades. I haven't seen a trade where they've come out ahead since 2000 ish.

#21 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

View Postgregkash, on 16 February 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

It's also important to note that Calgary sucks at making trades. I haven't seen a trade where they've come out ahead since 2000 ish.

Craig Button and Darryl Sutter weren't exactly model GMs and Jay Feaster is probably the worst of the three.

#22 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 16 February 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

I can't believe we are discussing an Ek rumour, but what if the D-Man was going from Buffalo to ?????.  Did this clown say the D-Man was going to Buffalo?

"The Sabres, according to my sources, are also heavily interested in Winnipeg Jet, Evander Kane and have looked into possibly doing a deal with Phoenix for a D-man as well...." - HB.

I interpret that as Buffalo being the ones adding a defenseman, but I suppose he could have meant the reverse (just expressed it poorly).

#23 sabre snipe

sabre snipe

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

i would love evander kane...and if it was for a coyote dman id hope for Keith 'yankee candle' yandle.  doubt it, but heard he is struggling mightily so far this year?

#24 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Anything more than a 7th would be a waste. Washed up.  We need to draft those types, not over pay for guys on the downside of their careers.( Regher, Rivet)

Edited by Grumpy, 16 February 2013 - 05:53 PM.