50 replies to this topic

#1 rickshaw

rickshaw

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

So I've decided that I will not be investing my emotions on the Sabres until Lindy Ruff is removed from his post. I'd like Darcy to go to but the voice behind the bench needs to change, and I believe this team stays mediocre (at best) as long as Lindy is barking out the orders.

I have to agree with the Buffalo News article suggesting this team is probably laughed at by other GM's. it really is amazing that LR and DR are still running the show after the poor results year after year.

I hope the team wins, I really do, but until the coach is changed I can't take their word on saying they want to win. It's not worth the stress and emotional roller coaster one takes when fully immersed in their team.

So I won't be posting much, if at all, so take that for what it's worth. I hope you all enjoy the games and upcoming Spring weather.
Take care and Go Sabres!

#2 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

View Postrickshaw, on 14 February 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

So I've decided that I will not be investing my emotions on the Sabres until Lindy Ruff is removed from his post. I'd like Darcy to go to but the voice behind the bench needs to change, and I believe this team stays mediocre (at best) as long as Lindy is barking out the orders.

I have to agree with the Buffalo News article suggesting this team is probably laughed at by other GM's. it really is amazing that LR and DR are still running the show after the poor results year after year.

I hope the team wins, I really do, but until the coach is changed I can't take their word on saying they want to win. It's not worth the stress and emotional roller coaster one takes when fully immersed in their team.

So I won't be posting much, if at all, so take that for what it's worth. I hope you all enjoy the games and upcoming Spring weather.
Take care and Go Sabres!

I've felt like you for 6 years.....but I still manage to spew crap out of my mouth for the heck of it!

I wish it didn't get to this point for so many people. This was always my biggest fear. If we could have gotten enough momentum going early on.....maybe we wouldn't be here today. Sadly, no relief seems to be in sight.

#3 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

have a nice life

#4 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 14 February 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

have a nice life

I don't think he said that he is turning in his fan card.

#5 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

You determine your own level of involvement in Project Mayhem.

#6 sicknfla

sicknfla

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

I feel your pain. You reach a point that you just move on. It pisses me off that I no longer have that feeling of anticipation. Turning on the tv and  having 3 hours of being wrapped up in the game and forgetting about everything else. Shame on ownership for making it reach this point. All this fanbase needs is hope and they have sucked it right out of us.

#7 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Take care and Go Sabres!
I completely agree, and find myself in a much better place, if i miss a game here or there, and refrain from posting from time to time. Not a fun time to be a Sabres fan. :(

#8 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,084 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Take care and Go Sabres!

It sure sucks feeling this way. This team inspires zero confidence that anything has changed or will change anytime soon. There's nothing to be excited about.

I'm sure as soon as there is, you'll be back here with the rest of us, wasting our lives away talking to people we don't even know. :thumbsup:

#9 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,424 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

I don't dismiss your feelings. The best thing about sucking is when you look back after you win it all.

#10 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Rocky isn't Rocky if he doesn't start like some two-bit schmo.

#11 Arcsabresfan41

Arcsabresfan41

"Lead Balloon" Man, as stated by the ever whimsical KM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 14 February 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

I don't dismiss your feelings. The best thing about sucking is when you look back after you win it all.
I just wish I had the same level of confidence that this would happen as I did two years ago.

#12 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

have a nice life
Way to kick a fellow Sabres fan when he is down.  <insert fyou emoticon>

#13 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 14 February 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

Rocky isn't Rocky if he doesn't start like some two-bit schmo.

Did Rocky have a President's Trophy?

Sorry...had to..... :P

#14 kishoph

kishoph

He Scores !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

It's funny how a game can affect people so much, I am usually the most optimistic person, but it's become with the Sabres, I've become a skeptic, I have a hard time finding hope and it's really starting not to be fun watching them or cheering for them, because I end up being disappointed and frustrated. I've been a Bills and Sabres fan for over 40 years and this is honestly the first time I don't find myself glued to a seat or my couch at home during the game. I have not gone to a Sabres game this year and I highly doubt that I will. At home I'm starting to channel surf during the game, I would never even do that during commercials before. The lock out may have contributed to this feeling, but the uninspired, boring play is the major cause. With the Bills, it's been different, the expectations haven't been as high, nor have the promises from management. I know I'm not alone, many people I've talked to feel this way or are starting to. The Sabres have to do something and I think it needs to be a lot more than bringing in a player or two or giving us more cheap talk with unfulfilled promises.

#15 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Sports is entertainment.  If you aren't entertained, find another way to spend your time which is more enjoyable and/or productive; nothing wrong with that.  I tend to agree with Chz that the lows tend to make the highs feel better, but to each their own.

#16 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,528 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 14 February 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

Sports is entertainment.  If you aren't entertained, find another way to spend your time which is more enjoyable and/or productive; nothing wrong with that.  I tend to agree with Chz that the lows tend to make the highs feel better, but to each their own.
Equating the Sabres to American Idol is probably a good analogy when looking at a small percentage of the fans. I think you know it's a terrible analogy for most of us, you included. To borrow a catchphrase, it's our way of life.

I guess I'm a bit bemused at how the tone of this board has changed so quickly. A few of us were at this place in our relationship with the Sabres several years ago. But I don't think for a minute that this moves the needle for guys like Ted Black or Terry Pegula. If anything, it shows how much more deeply committed we're becoming. There's little aparthy in this fan base. The merch. The TV ratings. The this and that. We're in farther up to our eyeballs than ever. I bet traffic to this board is way up. There are more posts than ever, it seems. The silent treatment at games is just the girl ignoring the boy she wants to be with forever.

Rick, come on. You're blowing off steam. You know and we know and Ted knows (he's reading message boards, he said today), you and Lindy both ain't goin' nowhere.

#17 Braedon

Braedon

You cannot leave the magic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

For the first 2/3 of my life, I had the mentality that adversity experienced by Buffalo fans would only make victory sweeter.   Then I left the area and started paying closer attention to other sports organizations.  I'm sorry, I don't know why it is what it is....but the Bills and Sabres are A$$ backwards.  While other franchises breed success, we breed complacency.  I'll never stop being a fan but I don't expect a championship, ever.  I completely understand Rickshaw and don't fault him for his disgust.

EDIT:  I don't mean  that leaving woke me up.  I just paid closer attention to Buffalo sports because I wasn't local anymore.  That paired with living in the vicinity of a collegiate powerhouse and other sports franchises, and the same old crap from home, made it painfully apparent the dysfunction.

Edited by Braedon, 14 February 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#18 ROC Sabres

ROC Sabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 14 February 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

View PostBraedon, on 14 February 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

For the first 2/3 of my life, I had the mentality that adversity experienced by Buffalo fans would only make victory sweeter.   Then I left the area and started paying closer attention to other sports organizations.  I'm sorry, I don't know why it is what it is....but the Bills and Sabres are A$$ backwards.  While other franchises breed success, we breed complacency.  I'll never stop being a fan but I don't expect a championship, ever.  I completely understand Rickshaw and don't fault him for his disgust.

Those two things really are what I think of when I think of professional sports in general.  I have friends that are fans of good teams and bad teams and the one thing you can tell is the difference in how they react to a win/loss.  The bad team fans(complacent team) a win is something that is really exciting.  A loss is basically just another day/game.  A good team fan gets upset over a loss and is excited too, but doesn't hang on to it the same way.

I'm tired of being excited over wins and hanging on to them (unless they are playoff games).

Another way of thinking of it.  Ask a pats fan who they lost to last season then ask a bills fan who they won against?

Most true fans will get most of them right.

Edited by ROC Sabres, 14 February 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#19 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,091 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Well, I don't think you can really compare the Bills and the Sabres.  The Bills are a true Mickey Mouse organization. You and most fans may want DR and/or LR gone, but the franchise is well-funded and professionally run. It's a question of when, not if.

As for the OP, I'll say it:  the ship is turning around.  The Sabres played really well vs Ottawa -- probably their best all-around game of the year, even if the Boston win was more satisfying. I think we may be seeing the awakening of Myers, the sharpening of team defense and the beginning of a nice streak of good, winning hockey.

Mix in an opportunistic O'Reilly trade and there might be quite a bit to pay attention to.

Go Sabres.

#20 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

Take care and Go Sabres!
Well said, and completely understandable.  If following this team isn't making your life better, it's OK to stop.  At this point, the Sabres are just something I watch on TV to get my hockey fix.  I can't develop an emotional attachment to any other team in the league so I stick with them.  I absolutely don't expect them to win anything any time soon.  They're getting a "Bills" vibe where even the talk/daydreams about what they could do to transform into a winner is starting to feel abstract and hollow.  They aren't as hopeless as the Bills, but something big is going to have to happen before I can really take them seriously again.

have a nice life
Grow up.

#21 Braedon

Braedon

You cannot leave the magic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 14 February 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

Well, I don't think you can really compare the Bills and the Sabres.  The Bills are a true Mickey Mouse organization. You and most fans may want DR and/or LR gone, but the franchise is well-funded and professionally run. It's a question of when, not if.

Go Sabres.

Im not comparing them.  Im pooling their inadequacies and comparing that to other organizations.  I really wish i shared your enthusiasm and i will willingly eat crow should "when" ever come.  But i dont see it.  And professionally run and/or well funded does not infer championship caliber or drive.

#22 kooshari

kooshari

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

Take care and Go Sabres!

I'm right there with you. After the 6-1 debacle against the Habs, I vowed not to watch or listen to even a second of Sabres hockey until this team is doing more than just huffing and puffing for an 8th place finish. In retrospect I'm very happy with my decision. I'm in my late 30s, grew up in the Southtowns, and have LOVED the Sabres since I was 11 or 12. My biggest thrill was sitting in the blues with my uncle. Fans who are my age and older have stuck with this team through a lot of lows: countless 1st round losses in the 80s (when making the playoffs was nearly a given), the disappointment of the Pierre Turgeon era, more playoff futility with LaFont and Mogilny, losing free agents when they hit the market, and so on. We also enjoyed the highs of the Hasek/Peca and Drury/Briere years, while ultimately still feeling the sting of coming so close only to come up empty. In short, lots of disappointment with some good times sprinkled in just to keep us salivating.

Since we fans have known underacheiving Sabres teams before, why does now feel so much worse? Expectations. The Sabres shed their underdog, small-market status when they landed an owner with deep pockets who loved the team like a diehard fan and talked the talk boldly and unequivocally. But then he inexplicably failed to walk the walk when it came to R&R, even after seeing them at work up close for a season-plus. Now I think many of us can't help but feel burned by Pegula. We've dealt with plenty of lows over the years and Pegula was supposed to be committed to turning things around. Instead, last time I saw his team play, they looked just pathetic. Worse than the Golisano teams that came before them.

Now, for the first time ever, part of me actually enjoys seeing another Sabres loss when I check the boxscores the next day. I never, ever thought I'd say that. I can picture Pegula and co. squirming in their chairs, trying to preach on about excellence and boldness, yet wondering why all their lavish overspending hasn't done the trick. Eventually they'll wake up out of their stupor and start making some hard decisions. In the meantime, I think we longtime fans have earned the right to abandon this team until they show that they actually do have a pulse.

#23 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

View Postkooshari, on 14 February 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

I'm right there with you. After the 6-1 debacle against the Habs, I vowed not to watch or listen to even a second of Sabres hockey until this team is doing more than just huffing and puffing for an 8th place finish. In retrospect I'm very happy with my decision. I'm in my late 30s, grew up in the Southtowns, and have LOVED the Sabres since I was 11 or 12. My biggest thrill was sitting in the blues with my uncle. Fans who are my age and older have stuck with this team through a lot of lows: countless 1st round losses in the 80s (when making the playoffs was nearly a given), the disappointment of the Pierre Turgeon era, more playoff futility with LaFont and Mogilny, losing free agents when they hit the market, and so on. We also enjoyed the highs of the Hasek/Peca and Drury/Briere years, while ultimately still feeling the sting of coming so close only to come up empty. In short, lots of disappointment with some good times sprinkled in just to keep us salivating.

Since we fans have known underacheiving Sabres teams before, why does now feel so much worse? Expectations. The Sabres shed their underdog, small-market status when they landed an owner with deep pockets who loved the team like a diehard fan and talked the talk boldly and unequivocally. But then he inexplicably failed to walk the walk when it came to R&R, even after seeing them at work up close for a season-plus. Now I think many of us can't help but feel burned by Pegula. We've dealt with plenty of lows over the years and Pegula was supposed to be committed to turning things around. Instead, last time I saw his team play, they looked just pathetic. Worse than the Golisano teams that came before them.

Now, for the first time ever, part of me actually enjoys seeing another Sabres loss when I check the boxscores the next day. I never, ever thought I'd say that. I can picture Pegula and co. squirming in their chairs, trying to preach on about excellence and boldness, yet wondering why all their lavish overspending hasn't done the trick. Eventually they'll wake up out of their stupor and start making some hard decisions. In the meantime, I think we longtime fans have earned the right to abandon this team until they show that they actually do have a pulse.

Well said. I'm right there with you but I wouldn't call what I'm doing abandoning the team. I watch every game I can no matter how painful because occasionally there's a nugget in all the shite that sparkles and thats what holds me. I'll continue to voice my displeasure at how the franchise is being run. I'll continue to call for Regiers job when its obvious he isn't the right guy for the job. Head scout sure, G.M. not so much. And I have had enough of Ruffs way of doing things. I watch other teams with less talent ( according to Regiers pay scale ) that play a far more exciting style. Maybe they're just managed better ? I don't know. If so thats on Regier. Maybe they're just coached better ? I don't know. If so then thats on Ruff. But on paper we are one of the highest paid teams in the league and we sit dead last in the eastern conference. Thats just not good enough and someone should be held accountable. But they won't be. Lets be honest here. This is the Buffalo Sabres where no one is held to a high standard because no one ever loses their job for a lack of results. No accountability and it runs right through the players veins. Its all many of them have ever known. Our core grew up in this disfunction. It is their essence. Which all comes back to Darcy.

#24 rickshaw

rickshaw

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

Wow, I honestly didn't think my heartfelt post would render so many responses.
I've posted many times over the years but probably haven't given out much personal info about me.
I  have been a fan of the Sabres for 37 years and counting. I fell in love with them when they reached the Finals in 75. I was 10 years old.
I loved the French Connection. I loved Alex Mogilny so much I named my first born Alexander. I suffered through the no goal and all the years we were close. All this living in beautiful British Columbia.

Many of you know that If Buffalo played the Canucks in the finals, I would cheer for the Sabres. Having said that , the Canucks are my number 1a team with the Sabres being number 1 solely.

I've gone to many Canucks/Sabre tilts in Vancouver over the years, donning my Sabres gear, only to go home saddened by a Sabres loss. But I've also enjoyed some memorable wins too (last year with my son seeing his first live Sabres game) I remember talking with Scotty Bowman before a game hoping Tom Barrasso was in net because Bob Sauve had a horrible record against the nucks, stunned when Bowman didn't know that Sauve was terrible against them (Canucks 5-2 winners that night)

I love the Sabres, love their uniforms, AGAIN. I love so much about them, but it's to that point where it's time to step back until they really ARE About winning. For years I would go to half empty Canucks games and then they finally did become about winning. About being a TOP organization. They want to win. They are committed to winning. They are still trying despite coming so close. They spend wisley for the most part. They try to get better. They really are a top team and keep trying to win it all, even if they fall short.
They won't keep a coach or GM if its failing. They won't settle. And that is what their expansion cousins are not. And that is why I have to not emotionally get involved until the Sabres ARE serious about winning.

So for all who support me or understand my feelings, thanks. And to those who don't, or who think I'm "just mad" rigjht now, that's fine too. Will I check their games every day? Yes. Do I want them to win? Of course. But Lindy needs to go and until he does, I'm not investing feelings.

I love the Sabres and always will.
Not gonna change that for sure. Hopefully the ownership will do the right thing, the hard thing, and go in a different direction.

Go Sabres Go!!!

Edited by rickshaw, 15 February 2013 - 01:47 AM.

#25 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:47 AM

Ted Black.........remember when you said certain fans were in a "neagativity bubble" when they tried to open your eyes?

This is F'n killing me seeing people who believed in you guys.....who did the right thing and tried to fend off the naysayers....now just shattered.

Stop the corporate BS....and WAKE YOUR F'N OWNER UP!!!!!!

If you want to get all snuggly.....donate a few million to the SPCA and Roswell.....they deserve it 100x more than those who have taken millions from the fans the past 16 years.

Somebody in this wretched organisation......man up for once........

#26 neverenough

neverenough

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

Take care and Go Sabres!
I'm right with you. My wife has been asking me why i'm not really into hockey this year and i just say i get bored watching the Sabres. I have a 17 month old son, so i'm not going waste my time on something that just brings me down. I do love the Sabres tho.

#27 bills_fan_in_raleigh

bills_fan_in_raleigh

Live in Raleigh but Bleed Buffalo Sports an I hate the canes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

What really sucks about all of this is that the canes are winning since we gave them that kick start.   Look what a coaching change and a free agent acquisition can do to a team with still a god awful defense on paper.   I know lindy ain't goin anywhere but until he's gone I think we will be stuck with what we have.

#28 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,785 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

I'll never stop being a fan but I don't expect a championship, ever.

I think this echoes my sentiment.  I've been waiting 40 years and just have come to realize that it may never happen.  I won't stop watching, hoping and rooting even though.  I do get enjoment out of it, even still

#29 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

thanks for posting, rick -- your voice here is one that i always look to for insight, perspective (historical), and a few laughs.

and i'm with you. i love lindy. well, not love love, but love him in that way that you can love a hometown public figure whom you only sorta know. and, so i do -- i love lindy. i think he's a terrific guy, heart and soul, salt of the earth, trust him to watch my kid, trust him to hold onto something valuable for me, would love to knock back beers with him -- and on and on. but it's time. and when he goes, i wish him well and will not be surprised to see him with another team on a deep playoff run in a few years time.

it's just time here in buffalo, with this squad.

i will still watch whenever i can. i will still cheer and root and feel that excitement when the game is close and hotly contested. but in the back of my mind, i will know that we need a change behind the bench.

#30 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 15 February 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

thanks for posting, rick -- your voice here is one that i always look to for insight, perspective (historical), and a few laughs.

and i'm with you. i love lindy. well, not love love, but love him in that way that you can love a hometown public figure whom you only sorta know. and, so i do -- i love lindy. i think he's a terrific guy, heart and soul, salt of the earth, trust him to watch my kid, trust him to hold onto something valuable for me, would love to knock back beers with him -- and on and on. but it's time. and when he goes, i wish him well and will not be surprised to see him with another team on a deep playoff run in a few years time.

it's just time here in buffalo, with this squad.

i will still watch whenever i can. i will still cheer and root and feel that excitement when the game is close and hotly contested. but in the back of my mind, i will know that we need a change behind the bench.

This captures my feelings exactly.  There can't be more than a handful of Sabres fans left who don't know that it's well past  time.

#31 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

View Postkooshari, on 14 February 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

+1(overall)

+2(bold)

#32 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

I too remember '75, although I was only 8 yrs old at the time.  I remember how each new season, hell, each new game, brought anticipation.  "You know we're going to win that Cup".  How each trade acquisition and drafdt pick were something to get excited about.  The fan base went nuts over this team, going so far as buying case lots of Jim Schoenfeld's music album. I recall getting excited over John Tucker's call up from juniors.  Young guys like Mal Davis and Ken Preistlay. "Harris is a bum!"  I remember the sorrow at Bert's retirement announcement, the electricity when Larry Playfair stepped into a scrum, the hope of a new era when Pierre Turgeon was announced as a Sabre at the draft.  We had the excitement of very young rookies Phil Housley and Tom Barasso.  I remember the excitement following trades for Doug Bodger, and Alexei Zhitnick.  The magic of LaFontaine and Mogilny regardless of who played on the other wing.  Then we had a period fo time where the team wasn't very good but we had guys like Ray, May, Barnaby, and Bougner to create some entertainment.,  And boy did they entertain. WE WANT RAY!   We all watched in excited amazement at the wonder of this new, unconventional goalie that looked bizarre in net but had eye-popping results.  But somewhere near the end of that incredible goalie's run things changed.  The excitement went away.  I stopped watching for awhile.  The games became boring.  Even when they won the excitement wasn't tthere.  But I came back.  We saw an unlikely group of players make a spirited run to a Conference Final.  And then the disappointment started showing up again, the nagging feelings that somehow this group on the ice didn't seem right.  On paper they seemed OK, and they teased us with good games, and good runs up the standings, but something never quite seemed right.  And here we are today watching a team that still doesn't seem quite right even though most of the individual players are guys we wouldn't choose to see move to other teams.  How did the excitement go so far away?

I thought not seeing the games this season because of my work schedule was going to be painful.  But it doesn't bother me to not see them so far this season.  And while I used to get excited about the prospects of new players coming in, trade acquisitions annd guys from Rochester or juniors, I just can't get excited anymore.  The cupboards no longer appear to contain the answers to why this team just doesn't resonate with me.  I gave up on the Bills over 10 years ago.  I don't want to develop the same apathy towards this hockey team.  I want the diversion.  But the team needs to make me want to watch it.

Edited by weave, 15 February 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#33 evilempire

evilempire

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

View Postwjag, on 15 February 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

I think this echoes my sentiment.  I've been waiting 40 years and just have come to realize that it may never happen.  I won't stop watching, hoping and rooting even though.  I do get enjoment out of it, even still
Me too.  I was thinking about how it must be to be a Cubs fan and realized I do know what its like.  If you add up Bills and Sabres seasons without a championship and were right there with them.  Neither team is close and it is driving me away as a fan.  After 35 years of being a fanatic (never missing a game) im now just a casual fan and could care less If I even watch the games.  My  9 year old son started a Bills fan but now is a Falcons fan and hes starting to not like the Sabres anymore either.  Another season like this and I think it will be hard to keep him interested.  Not sure why all of Sabre Nation can see this except the people in charge.

#34 Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings

Not a Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Amen, sister!

#35 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

View Postneverenough, on 15 February 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

I'm right with you. My wife has been asking me why i'm not really into hockey this year and i just say i get bored watching the Sabres. I have a 17 month old son, so i'm not going waste my time on something that just brings me down. I do love the Sabres tho.

Same here, my wife finally noticed that I haven't been spending many evenings out in my man cave these days.  She asked me the other day as I was working on the computer with RJ on in the background why I wasn't out there watching the game.  When I told her that I canceled Center Ice her jaw nearly hit the floor.

#36 evilempire

evilempire

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

I think as much as I want to see the Sabres win the cup I want to here RJ call a stanley cup finals winning game.  Sadly hes about done and keeping R and R around is making sure he never gets to

#37 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,432 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

This sucks.

#38 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

I was thinking about about selling my tix for tonight out of frustration and then I thought - the hell with it. I am taking my 7 year old daughter because this is when the memories are created. Instead of inviting friends and having some beers, I am taking my kids to every game as I feel I am getting my money's worth that way. She already hates the Bruins and I am going to fuel the fire tonight - let the brainwashing continue!

#39 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostCallawaySabres, on 15 February 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

I was thinking about about selling my tix for tonight out of frustration and then I thought - the hell with it. I am taking my 7 year old daughter because this is when the memories are created. Instead of inviting friends and having some beers, I am taking my kids to every game as I feel I am getting my money's worth that way. She already hates the Bruins and I am going to fuel the fire tonight - let the brainwashing continue!

Good call!

#40 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,655 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

have a nice life

Reading through this thread, I think I'm the only one who got this joke.  Nice work.