74 replies to this topic

#1 zow2

zow2

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

To put it bluntly, this 2013 Sabres team is one of the worst looking teams in the past several years.  They look slow and tired, except for just a couple guys.  They don't know how to forecheck and keep the puck in the offensive zone.  They allow every opponent to cycle them to death in the defensive zone. They give up numerous point blank chances and odd man rushes, inexplicably while trying to play better defensively.  So if your defensive gameplan is to collapse deep and give up chance after chance, and hope Miller is on top of his game...then they are executing brilliantly. The Buffalo Sabres look like the worst team in the NHL.  Out of the first 13 games, there has only been maybe 2 games where the ice hasn't been tilted towards the Sabres end. If you can't fire all the players, they better get a new coach and system.

#2 LoveAndWarrener

LoveAndWarrener

Frank the Tank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

I had a thought last night that this was probably the worst team in the NHL if not for Miller.   Pretty dire right now.  Things need to be shaken up.  There is no shame in going 1-1 against the Bruins so far, but they just look listless.

#3 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,760 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostLoveAndWarrener, on 11 February 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

I had a thought last night that this was probably the worst team in the NHL if not for Miller.   Pretty dire right now.  Things need to be shaken up.  There is no shame in going 1-1 against the Bruins so far, but they just look listless.
Great handle.

#4 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,760 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Attached File  Buffalo.jpg   84.01K   113 downloadsWell, right here's your problem. Kaleta is depressed and lonely, Gerbe has a Napoleon Complex, and Vanek's in a threesome with Regehr and Ott. What a mess.

#5 LoveAndWarrener

LoveAndWarrener

Frank the Tank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 11 February 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

Great handle.
Thanks!  One of my favorite Sabres.  I am RuntheDamnBall on TSW but I try to just sit and listen instead of acting like a knowitall over here. :D

#6 Yuri Olesha

Yuri Olesha

Agent Provocateur Cologne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

No!

You stink!

These are professional atheletes.  We've got to get to the place, as Buffaloes, where we can get over these paid atheletes performances!  This is prime wheat country, for those with seeds.

#7 Corp000085

Corp000085

Morris Titanic Fan Club, Charter Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 11 February 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

Attachment Buffalo.jpgWell, right here's your problem. Kaleta is depressed and lonely, Gerbe has a Napoleon Complex, and Vanek's in a threesome with Regehr and Ott. What a mess.

Outstanding sabremetrics. Clears up everything!

#8 ColdBlueNorth

ColdBlueNorth

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Just like last year it is all about attitude and forecheck and it is in short supply on this team and only shows up when they realize they are going to miss that final playoff spot.

Some of our forwards are just too small to really forecheck, some are skill players that are contact-adverse, and sprinkled around are the few that give us glimpses of how the game could and should be played - Vanek, Foligno, and McCormick... putting the pressure on and being strong down low near the crease.

Too often you just see one forward rushing in to forecheck all alone and you realize it is Tyler Ennis doing everything but climbing into the other guys pants - only to be swatted away like a gnat. They need to get the puck in deep, follow through with at least two players going in strong on the forecheck and cycle it deep for a change.

The amazing thing that happens when you get a good forecheck and cycle going behind your opponent's goal is that you spend less time in your end giving up 35-40 plus shots each night. I'm not saying they should not work on clearing the zone - they need to figure out how to string more than two passes together instead of just blindly choppig the puck to an area.

#9 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

They article probably sums how bad this situation is getting, they bring up their Hodgson, Foligno and Brennan from Rochester and the Amerks actually get better.

http://blogs.democra..._medium=twitter

#10 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

View PostBRAWNDO, on 11 February 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

They article probably sums how bad this situation is getting, they bring up their Hodgson, Foligno and Brennan from Rochester and the Amerks actually get better.

I don't know if the Amerks got better as much as the rest of the league got worse.  Every AHL team's roster changed significantly once the lockout ended.  A lot of AHL rookies are finally getting a chance to do their thing in a "normal" AHL that isn't flooded with young players that would otherwise be in the NHL.

#11 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

View PostRobviously, on 11 February 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

I don't know if the Amerks got better as much as the rest of the league got worse.  Every AHL team's roster changed significantly once the lockout ended.  A lot of AHL rookies are finally getting a chance to do their thing in a "normal" AHL that isn't flooded with young players that would otherwise be in the NHL.

This makes sense.

#12 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,624 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 11 February 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

Attachment Buffalo.jpgWell, right here's your problem. Kaleta is depressed and lonely, Gerbe has a Napoleon Complex, and Vanek's in a threesome with Regehr and Ott. What a mess.

If that graph means anything, I'd love to know what.  Is it a real statistical analysis of something?

#13 TheChimp

TheChimp

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

View Postzow2, on 11 February 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

To put it bluntly, this 2013 Sabres team is one of the worst looking teams in the past several years.  They look slow and tired, except for just a couple guys.  They don't know how to forecheck and keep the puck in the offensive zone.  They allow every opponent to cycle them to death in the defensive zone. They give up numerous point blank chances and odd man rushes, inexplicably while trying to play better defensively.  So if your defensive gameplan is to collapse deep and give up chance after chance, and hope Miller is on top of his game...then they are executing brilliantly. The Buffalo Sabres look like the worst team in the NHL.  Out of the first 13 games, there has only been maybe 2 games where the ice hasn't been tilted towards the Sabres end. If you can't fire all the players, they better get a new coach and system.
Yup.  This.

That's so telling.  Too bad Pegula is such a flipping idiot he won't get it.

Edited by TheChimp, 12 February 2013 - 01:20 AM.

#14 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

View PostYuri Olesha, on 11 February 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

No!

You stink!

These are professional atheletes.  We've got to get to the place, as Buffaloes, where we can get over these paid atheletes performances!  This is prime wheat country, for those with seeds.

Someone needs to go tweak Yuri's meds for him.

#15 kishoph

kishoph

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:24 AM

Do you want to know when the Amerks got better ? It's when the NHL season started and Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier stopped hanging out in Rochester to "help" the Amerks.
These are NHL players on the Sabres, when 2 or 3 are slumping, you can look at the players, when 15 or 16 are slumping, you look at the coaching.

#16 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

I'm missing Corey Tropp. We have to get some of these imposters and over the hill players out of here.
And  Pegula has got to get the deer in the headlights look out of his eyes and play the part of a real leader, not some crass nouveau riche with a hockey hobby.

Edited by 716, 12 February 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#17 ESPN Sucks

ESPN Sucks

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

I do not understand all the hatred of Ruff and Regier. Yeah they probably should go just to show the fans something is being done, but Ruff is a good coach and Regier has builts some great teams. If not for a kick and truckload injuries, we should have two Stanley cups in Buffalo under their reign. That has to say something for their abilities.

#18 Rox11

Rox11

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Oh, man, are you going to get blasted ...
No GDT, today?  
GO SABRES! Vanek's back on the score sheet, Miller ONLY has to face 29 shots, and Myers is a +1. I've been up since 3:30 yesterday afternoon and have had 3 Harpoon IPA's for 'breakfast'.  I'll be up in time to watch the game ... just show me 60 minutes of gritty effort.

#19 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostESPN Sucks, on 12 February 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

I do not understand all the hatred of Ruff and Regier. Yeah they probably should go just to show the fans something is being done, but Ruff is a good coach and Regier has builts some great teams. If not for a kick and truckload injuries, we should have two Stanley cups in Buffalo under their reign. That has to say something for their abilities.

I don't think anyone hates these two men personally.  However, I have certainly grown to hate the concept of Lindy Ruff coaching my favorite hockey team.  15 years!! it's time to stop the madness.

#20 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,624 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

Amen.  Although I am starting to wonder whether "unfettered Regier II" can be as good as "unfettered Regier I."  I don't like the makeup of this roster, and that's his department.

#21 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,760 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostEleven, on 12 February 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

Amen.  Although I am starting to wonder whether "unfettered Regier II" can be as good as "unfettered Regier I."  I don't like the makeup of this roster, and that's his department.

I think he's being fettered.

View PostEleven, on 11 February 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

If that graph means anything, I'd love to know what.  Is it a real statistical analysis of something?

There are no right or wrong answers. Just relax. Lie down if you want. What do you see?

#22 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,624 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 12 February 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

I think he's being fettered.

There are no right or wrong answers. Just relax. Lie down if you want. What do you see?

I have no idea!  That's why I'm wondering what it is.

#23 ddaryl

ddaryl

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

I do not understand how this defense can be so pathetically bad. Plenty of money spent and we are playing like we are worse off then we were 2 years ago.

#24 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

There's no hatred on my part. These guys have had 15 years to win and they simply haven't. This year is more of the same. I'm realistic. I never expected the cup this year nor next. What I did expect is this team to make steps towards improving in a tangible way and competing every night with the teams they play against. They haven't done that. Regier considers himself and Ruff a package deal and its time for them to go. The roster doesn't get a pass either. There are players on this roster that simply haven't lived up to Regiers hype. He signed them to in some cases crazy money and in doing so handcuffed this team for years. He's overvalued much of our talent and overpaid on many of them and Ruff doesn't seem able to motivate or get the best out of them. Its time for change.

#25 ESPN Sucks

ESPN Sucks

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 12 February 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

There's no hatred on my part. These guys have had 15 years to win and they simply haven't. This year is more of the same. I'm realistic. I never expected the cup this year nor next. What I did expect is this team to make steps towards improving in a tangible way and competing every night with the teams they play against. They haven't done that. Regier considers himself and Ruff a package deal and its time for them to go. The roster doesn't get a pass either. There are players on this roster that simply haven't lived up to Regiers hype. He signed them to in some cases crazy money and in doing so handcuffed this team for years. He's overvalued much of our talent and overpaid on many of them and Ruff doesn't seem able to motivate or get the best out of them. Its time for change.
Maybe "Hatred" was the wrong word. Maybe respect is more in line.

#26 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostESPN Sucks, on 12 February 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

Maybe "Hatred" was the wrong word. Maybe respect is more in line.

I don't lack respect for them either. I'm fully aware of who they are and what they've accomplished. Ruff was one of my idols as a child. I am also aware that I couldn't do either of their jobs. They are both tough jobs. They have had little success at it. The Sabres teams are always sneaking in and mediocre by most peoples standards. I want more. Its only my opinion. Its time for change.

#27 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,760 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostEleven, on 12 February 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

I have no idea!  That's why I'm wondering what it is.

http://wgr550.com/Pl...bres-S/15477058

#28 TheChimp

TheChimp

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

View Post716, on 12 February 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

I'm missing Corey Tropp. We have to get some of these imposters and over the hill players out of here.
And  Pegula has got to get the deer in the headlights look out of his eyes and play the part of a real leader, not some crass nouveau riche with a hockey hobby.
He is a ###### idiot, dude.  And IF he ever gets smart, the guy he should fire first is Ted Black.

#29 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Our current pace is for 64.4 points. Columbus got 65 last year. Hello Mckinnon or Jones

#30 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 12 February 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

Our current pace is for 64.4 points. Columbus got 65 last year. Hello Mckinnon or Jones
Which would easily be the most exciting thing to happen to the team in years.

#31 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,624 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostRobviously, on 12 February 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

Which would easily be the most exciting thing to happen to the team in years.

Even better than trading for Ott?

#32 Skibum

Skibum

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

Ya think so, professor?

#33 Yuri Olesha

Yuri Olesha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Wow!  I can't think about the Sabres without getting mad.

#34 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,518 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

View PostYuri Olesha, on 12 February 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

Wow!  I can't think about the Sabres without getting mad.
That's odd, I can't think about the Sabres without drinking.

#35 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

watching the sabres right now is exactly like mast#$bating. you get all excited and happy and then the big moment comes and you realize all you did was ###### yourself...............

Edited by drnkirishone, 12 February 2013 - 11:59 PM.

#36 Yuri Olesha

Yuri Olesha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:06 AM

View PostSwampD, on 12 February 2013 - 11:48 PM, said:

That's odd, I can't think about the Sabres without drinking.

I learned my lesson about thinking about the Sabres and drinking, and my family is happier for it.

View Postdrnkirishone, on 12 February 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

watching the sabres right now is exactly like mast#$bating. you get all excited and happy and then the big moment comes and you realize all you did was ###### yourself...............

I find it more like being married to a wife that doesn't put out.  You're not giving self-stimulation enough credit.

Edited by Yuri Olesha, 13 February 2013 - 01:10 AM.

#37 buftex

buftex

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

Man this is sad...I used to come here, lurk mostly, just to escape the negativity of the Two Bills Drive...but it has reared its' ugly head here too.  Not criticizing anyone here, cuz I feel it too.  Why have the sports gods forsaken us?  :cry:

To think, since it appears the owner/gm are unwilling to make any changes, the last hope for this season could be Ville Leino returning...man we are ######.

View Postddaryl, on 12 February 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

I do not understand how this defense can be so pathetically bad. Plenty of money spent and we are playing like we are worse off then we were 2 years ago.

To think, just before the season finally started, the Sabres were touting the fact that they had "10 NHL ready" defensemen who could crack any NHL lineup...where are they?

#38 Yuri Olesha

Yuri Olesha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

#39 bills_fan_in_raleigh

bills_fan_in_raleigh

Live in Raleigh but Bleed Buffalo Sports an I hate the canes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PostClaude_Verret, on 12 February 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

I don't think anyone hates these two men personally.  However, I have certainly grown to hate the concept of Lindy Ruff coaching my favorite hockey team.  15 years!! it's time to stop the madness.
+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

#40 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

I've narrowed the problems of this team to three main issues: offense, defense and goaltending. Once we get that fixed, we'll be fine.