196 replies to this topic

#1 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,573 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

We all got caught up in the euphoria of Pegula taking over, but reality is setting in.  The longer he sticks with R&R, the more foolish he looks(along with Black).

http://www.buffalone.../130219932/1104

#2 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

Shocking. Another fire R&R thread/article. Yawn

#3 bcardona

bcardona

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

Screw Bucky.  He loses credibility with "high ranking people...are laughing at them".  Really?  That's what professionals and peers do to each other when behind closed doors with a 2nd rate sports columnist?  Doubt it.  

Criticize all you want, the results warrant it, but mix in a little class (see Paul Hamilton), otherwise you are either an a-hole or a troll or both.

#4 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

View Postbcardona, on 10 February 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

Screw Bucky.  He loses credibility with "high ranking people...are laughing at them".  Really?  That's what professionals and peers do to each other when behind closed doors with a 2nd rate sports columnist?  Doubt it.  

Criticize all you want, the results warrant it, but mix in a little class (see Paul Hamilton), otherwise you are either an a-hole or a troll or both.
That's right, kill the messenger and ignore the message. Classic Sabre fan mentality.

Bucky Gleason is adding credence to much of what has been said on this board for some time now. It's good to read that there are those from outside the organization without a vested interest that see what many here on this board has posted about. People outside the organization don't care about rugs, paint and statues. This team is no closer to being a contender than they were when Golisano owned the team. Why would they be when you keep the same decision makers in place. People on this board claimed that given a blank check that Darcy Regier could become a really good GM, they were wrong and the franchise continues to suffer under his management. I will include Ruff's retention under Regier's failures.

#5 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostLabattBlue, on 10 February 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

We all got caught up in the euphoria of Pegula taking over, but reality is setting in.  The longer he sticks with R&R, the more foolish he looks(along with Black).

http://www.buffalone.../130219932/1104

R&R, what a perfect way to describe them.

#6 Corp000085

Corp000085

Morris Titanic Fan Club, Charter Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Rip Bucky all you want, but that article is spot on. I like ruff and regier. They are good people, but it is time for them to go. On this board, we have been saying that they need to go for a while. We have also called pegula a fanboy that is living his fan dream rather than actually building a winner. Bucky is just putting pen to paper on our thoughts and has a larger audience and more credibility. Seems like "anonymous sources" also feel like we do. It's time for a change!!!

#7 sabres1970

sabres1970

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

Hey, we won last night. none of this until we lose again!

#8 bcardona

bcardona

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostDeLuca67, on 10 February 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

That's right, kill the messenger and ignore the message. Classic Sabre fan mentality.

Bucky Gleason is adding credence to much of what has been said on this board for some time now. It's good to read that there are those from outside the organization without a vested interest that see what many here on this board has posted about. People outside the organization don't care about rugs, paint and statues. This team is no closer to being a contender than they were when Golisano owned the team. Why would they be when you keep the same decision makers in place. People on this board claimed that given a blank check that Darcy Regier could become a really good GM, they were wrong and the franchise continues to suffer under his management. I will include Ruff's retention under Regier's failures.
The point is, Bucky's style sucks.  "laughing at them".  Do you really believe that?

#9 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

View Postbcardona, on 10 February 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

The point is, Bucky's style sucks. "laughing at them".  Do you really believe that?

To be taken metaphorically and not literally.

#10 Corp000085

Corp000085

Morris Titanic Fan Club, Charter Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

View Postsabres1970, on 10 February 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

Hey, we won last night. none of this until we lose again!

It doesnt matter. This team is not built for a long playoff run. See bruins 2010, flyers 2011.

#11 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostCorp000085, on 10 February 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

It doesnt matter. This team is not built for a long playoff run. See bruins 2010, flyers 2011.

It's an overarching theme for this team irrespective of wins and losses.

#12 Braedon

Braedon

You cannot leave the magic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

View Postsabres1970, on 10 February 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

Hey, we won last night. none of this until we lose again! 9:45pm tonight!

Fixed.

#13 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,507 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Two years late to the party, Buck. But welcome. I wondered when Gleason would be back. I was starting to think he had been squelched by the higher-ups at the News who feared a backlash if Saint Terry were criticized.

It's safe to say the honeymoon is over. I do give Terry and his people credit for creating enough capital to last this long. Cup-holders, crocodile tears and the sight of Gary McAdam were gold, Jerry, pure gold.

#14 NowDoYouBelieve

NowDoYouBelieve

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

It is curious that Pegula couldn't see Ruff's message was losing traction.  

I mean, if he's a fan, that should be a good thing.  Shouldn't that mean that he shares all the frustrations?  If anything, you'd think a passionate owner would err to the trigger happy side in terms of firings.

EDIT:  "Shame on them."  is a bit much.  It's poor judgment, nothing more.

Edited by NowDoYouBelieve, 10 February 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#15 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,977 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

I think the issue for Pegula was that he didn't know how a hockey operation was run. It's obviously Black's job to inform him, but I don't think Terry was ever going to make any changes organizationally until he knew what he did, or did not, want in his most important positions. It's a patience thing that may or may not have been the right choice.

#16 Jeanbe

Jeanbe

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

I thought the article was spot on.   Just look at the bench while watching the game.   Ruff has lost this team and I do think he needs a change of scenery.   He is a damn good coach and will benefit by moving on.    

Darcy needs to go as well, but before that happens I would love to see what a different coach could do with these players.   Lindy has to go.

#17 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,573 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

View Postbcardona, on 10 February 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

If the same exact words were written by someone else at the News(or some national hockey writer), would you still have a problem with it?  The dislike for Sully and Bucky is comical.

#18 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

People on this board have certainly been laughing at Regiers ineptitude as a G.M. for some time now. I've heard other commentators, hot stove discussions, and fans of other teams question his decisions as well as Pegulas decisions. Its about time Buffalo print media started questioning it as well. Squeeky wheel gets the grease. A conspiracy of silence will not bring change and change is what has been needed for some time now. Pegula needs to hear it. S & K on this board can continue to deny it but its gaining momentum and its about damn time.

Edited by bunomatic, 10 February 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#19 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Bucky's hits are way down. Other journalists are laughing at him, he needs articles that awesome people will link to from sports forums to drive his numbers up.

This'll work.

#20 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

You know, Bucky is right and so are his critics.
Terry's credibility is wearing thin as the same crew repeats the same mediocrity.
He is supposed to find out what ails the Sabres and fix it.
Bucky's credibility is gone for using the same anonymous sources to repackage the same column.
He is supposed to provide us with fresh information and insight, not recycle message board observations.
The difference is Terry's failures are still relatively new to Sabres fans.
Bucky ran out of fresh stories and sources years ago.

Edited by dudacek, 10 February 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#21 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

The point is, Bucky's style sucks.  "laughing at them".  Do you really believe that?

You mean you couldn't see Rick Dudley, Brian Burke, Torts, Sather et al laughing at them? Pegula is the new kid on the block, new money that entered their club. You can bet that they share a laugh every time he does something that goes against the norm. Whether they are right, well only time will tell.
Executives are no difference behind closed doors then anyone else. They may put on a professional face and demeanor in public but behind doors, after a couple drinks, the gloves come off.
One last thing, you may not like him but Bucky has his share of supporters on the national scene.

#22 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

View Postdudacek, on 10 February 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

You know, Bucky is right and so are his critics.
Terry's credibility is wearing thin as the same crew repeats the same mediocrity.
He is supposed to find out what ails the Sabres and fix it.
Bucky's credibility is gone for using the same anonymous sources to repackage the same column.
He is supposed to provide us with fresh information and insight, not recycle message board observations.
The difference is Terry's failures are still relatively new to Sabres fans.
Bucky ran out of fresh stories and sources years ago.
I've never liked Bucky Gleason but I'm not sure I believe that he just made up "league sources" based on what he's read on message boards.

Are we really at the point where every time a reporter says something is dysfunctional behind the scenes with the Sabres, we have to accuse him of making it up?

#23 bobis

bobis

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Good article. I have to believe Terry P. and T. Black are starting to get that itch to change things, they have to be. I have to believe that or what was the point of Terry P. buying the team and bringing T. Black along for the ride. I think in this case Terry P's silence is deafening because he is having a hard time coping with the thought of ridding the Sabres of R&R.

#24 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,849 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostRobviously, on 10 February 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

Are we really at the point where every time a reporter says something is dysfunctional behind the scenes with the Sabres, we have to accuse him of making it up?

Hockey has caught up with politics.  With that being the case, we can expect action to be taken, or not taken, based on popular opinion and all the trappings that come with that kind of decision making.  If the "organization" doesn't like something, they can just try and change popular opinion.

#25 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 10 February 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

Bucky's hits are way down. Other journalists are laughing at him, he needs articles that awesome people will link to from sports forums to drive his numbers up.

This'll work.
I believe that there are people around the league laughing at the Sabres front office more than I would believe that Bucky Gleason is worried about "hits."  I'm sure that there are many around the league jealous of Darcy Regier. Who wouldn't want to be in a position where you have no success yet get a contract extension.

#26 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Makin' it rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Hey I thought we needed a new owner? We got a good one and they still bitch.

PTR

#27 bobis

bobis

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostDeLuca67, on 10 February 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

I believe that there are people around the league laughing at the Sabres front office more than I would believe that Bucky Gleason is worried about "hits."  I'm sure that there are many around the league jealous of Darcy Regier. Who wouldn't want to be in a position where you have no success yet get a contract extension.

How many GMs and coaches would be lining up for the Buffalo gigs if R&R get the ax? I think just about everybody associated with hockey at one time or another, as Buffalo has proven time and time again you don't have to be successful for job security.

#28 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 10 February 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

PTR
That's the problem. The Sabres have a fan with a lot of money, they don't have an "owner."

#29 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,977 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 10 February 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

PTR

I think most of us expected a full regime change with a new owner. It didn't happen, and some posters like myself were able to justify it then. Unfortunately I think the concept has failed. The regime change needs to happen.

#30 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Bucky is a blowhard and likes to hear himself talk.

The fans are pretty much in open revolt and he, like all *journalists*, loves to stir the pot.

He has no clue and I agree with LPF.  He is accomplishing his goal to get hits and people to read his stuff.  It helps to build his *credibility* and helps him keep his job.

FYI, I did not read the article.  Don't have to, as I know what it will say.

#31 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Makin' it rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 10 February 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

I think most of us expected a full regime change with a new owner. It didn't happen, and some posters like myself were able to justify it then. Unfortunately I think the concept has failed. The regime change needs to happen.
I think what most people fail to grasp is that TP is doing his due dilligence on LR & DR.  He said at the start that everything before he bought the team is irrelevent.  Sure he's saying all is good with his guys but he wants to see them operate without fear. He's a patient guy and wants to evaluate then on his terms. He will make changes when he decides they are needed, not Bucky friggin' Gleason.

PTR

#32 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,573 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 10 February 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

I think what most people fail to grasp is that TP is doing his due dilligence on LR & DR.  He said at the start that everything before he bought the team is irrelevent. Sure he's saying all is good with his guys but he wants to see them operate without fear. He's a patient guy and wants to evaluate then on his terms. He will make changes when he decides they are needed, not Bucky friggin' Gleason.

PTR
Operate without fear?  When were R&R ever in jeopardy of losing their jobs?

#33 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

I've never liked Bucky Gleason but I'm not sure I believe that he just made up "league sources" based on what he's read on message boards.

With respect, I don't believe Dudacek was accusing Bucky of making up his sources at all. It was a shot at him for sounding like a message board troll with the packaging, since it's the same packaging he's used for years.

#34 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostDeLuca67, on 10 February 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

You don't believe a journalist is concerned with the number of people reading his work?

#35 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 10 February 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

You don't believe a journalist is concerned with the number of people reading his work?
I don't believe Bucky Gleason wrote this article in an attempt to boost his "hits." The article is a reflection of the growing concerns of the fan base.

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 10 February 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

I think what most people fail to grasp is that TP is doing his due dilligence on LR & DR.  He said at the start that everything before he bought the team is irrelevent.  Sure he's saying all is good with his guys but he wants to see them operate without fear. He's a patient guy and wants to evaluate then on his terms. He will make changes when he decides they are needed, not Bucky friggin' Gleason.

PTR
He gave Regier an extension, wouldn't that indicate the "due diligence" on Regier has been completed? I expect that Pegula's "due diligence" was a similar process as Quinn's top to bottom evaluation  a few years ago that lasted about 5 minutes.

#36 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

People can think what they want but that article is spot on. Plus I don't want to hear if they put a couple of wins together soon this will all be forgotten. Really! How lucky did they get last night in New York getting badly outshot. Plus the goal against Montreal should have never counted and the whistle should have blown that play dead. That would have been another loss. Wow so they are on a two game winning streak. Sorry I don't want Buffalo to be this bad and I don't really believe they are but a New Coach with a new message I believe would do wonders for this team. I think Lindy mismanages the line's constantly by tinkering with them and that this defense needs Pardy in to provide alittle more grit on the backend.

#37 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

I do not believe he made up his sources, nor did I post that he did.
I do believe he has limited sources, none inside the organization, and that he rarely breaks anything new.
His "league sources laughing" column has already been written.
His "insights" about the team have typically already been made on here.

#38 nucci

nucci

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

View Postdrunken idiot, on 10 February 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

Good article. I have to believe Terry P. and T. Black are starting to get that itch to change things, they have to be. I have to believe that or what was the point of Terry P. buying the team and bringing T. Black along for the ride. I think in this case Terry P's silence is deafening because he is having a hard time coping with the thought of ridding the Sabres of R&R.
How do you explain the recent contract extension for Regier?

#39 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,977 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

View PostDeLuca67, on 10 February 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

I don't believe Bucky Gleason wrote this article in an attempt to boost his "hits." The article is a reflection of the growing concerns of the fan base.

He gave Regier an extension, wouldn't that indicate the "due diligence" on Regier has been completed? I expect that Pegula's "due diligence" was a similar process as Quinn's top to bottom evaluation  a few years ago that lasted about 5 minutes.

This is my fear as well.

#40 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

View Postnucci, on 10 February 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

How do you explain the recent contract extension for Regier?

I never really understood why he gave Darcy an extension as well. Why for landing 2 Center's in the draft the first time in a long time. I still think he's a poor GM. Yes a long time ago he made a couple of solid moves for Briere and Drury but since then the moves haven't been all that great. Plus think about all the picks he gave up for rental players that possibly and I said possibly could be players right now. Paying Stafford big money and giving Myers an outrageous contract so early in his career. Absolute horrid moves on his part.

Edited by SabresBillsFan, 10 February 2013 - 12:10 PM.