34 replies to this topic

#1 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,502 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

When Terry was known to be buying the Sabres, I did a lot of thinking about why he was buying the team. One fan's due diligence. Just a fan? Longtime dream to own the Sabres? Wanted to own a hockey team and Sabres were available? Wanted it for his kids? Wanted it to dovetail with his goal of building a powerhouse program at Penn State? Wanted to help redevelop Buffalo? Wanted to flip it to make money, ala OSP? Wanted to use it as part of some political ambition, also ala OSP? Wanted to have influence in NYS to affect the fracking debate?

Like almost everyone, I came down clearly on the side of Terry being a Sabres fan and having a longtime dream of owning the team. (A small part of me wondered if he just wanted to own a team, and would have bought the Flyers and called himself a Flyers fan and cried for Bobby Clarke if that franchise had been for sale.) Anyway, I put to the side any notion that Terry had ulterior motives. My position hasn't changed. But this article in the Democrat and Chronicle certainly is interesting. The fact that Terry had the meeting in his hockey arena sure doesn't look good.

I am NOT saying I think Terry bought the team just so he could get his foot in WNY politics and have more inflluence in the fracking debate. But, who knows, maybe it was part of his thinking.

But in late November 2011, nine months after he took control of the National Hockey League club, Pegula gathered Buffalo-area officials and state lawmakers in a boardroom at then-HSBC Arena. There, he and members of his East Resources team made their pitch for large-scale hydraulic fracturing, the much-debated method used in the gas-extraction process that New York state has yet to green light.

http://www.democrata.../302070049/1168

Edited by PASabreFan, 08 February 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#2 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,831 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

#3 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

He's a fracking hockey fan. What more do you want ? ;)

#4 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,502 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 08 February 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

Uhhhh, OK. Make me google the lyrics, thanks. You think I'm paranoid, I take it?

#5 Yuri Olesha

Yuri Olesha

?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Who owns the FNC?  Wiki says Erie County, but I don't remember hearing about any lease back to the Sabres.

I think we can wait for safer technology, before we start fracking in NYS.

#6 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,208 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

I would love to see some of the hydrofracking boom benefit Western New York.

#7 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,974 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostEleven, on 08 February 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

For sure. But I want to see the results of the EPA's ongoing study first before Terry becomes the next Love Canal.

#8 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

If he wants to make money, he'll drill another well, or frack.  It's all for the good of the team!

#9 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,203 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

He did say that if he wanted more money he'd drill another well, right?

View Postweave, on 08 February 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

He did say that if he wanted more money he'd drill another well, right?

Sizzle beat me by *that much*.

#10 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

I have thought there were other motives for TP buying the team, and when it was said what business he was in, it never surprised me that he was running around doing all this "good will" to the Sabres and their fans (Locker room upgrade, arena upgrades, saying he would spare no expense to get this area a cup) all because he was just a rich hockey fan. It does seem fish and it wouldn't shock me one bit if he tried to use all this good will as a way to get in and use it to make business deals and allow hydrofracking (something that without the good will hes done so far most people would protest and be against). Everyone looks at what he is proposing to do with the property accross from the arena and talks only about the good it will bring to the community and how generous TP is for doing this, yet they forget about how that development will also bring him money and help his assets around here also.

He is a business man who didn't get rich by foolishly throwing his money around......

#11 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Oh ###### guys, businessmen doing businessmen things.  Get the ###### pitchforks.

Also, re: ulterior motives; Kim's a Sabres fan, and if he bought the Flyers, she would have to take his balls.

Posted Image

#12 Yuri Olesha

Yuri Olesha

?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

I don't want to get all worked up about fracking, because I hate fracking.  Maybe in the Occupy thread.  But I was under the impression that Terry wasn't involved in the Natural Gas business anymore.  If he's a repentant fracker, fair enough, but if he's a compulsive fracker, that changes my opinion of him.

#13 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,831 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 08 February 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Uhhhh, OK. Make me google the lyrics, thanks. You think I'm paranoid, I take it?

I think "lobbied" is the wrong word.  That usually involves money, which he hasn't given to anyone in NYS.

He might eventually.  It's usually necessary for these guys just to talk with you seriously or at least get to the front of the line.

#14 Yuri Olesha

Yuri Olesha

?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

All right, I'll take it easy, then.  

But I'm putting the moniker "Haliburton Sabres," in my back pocket, for a rainy day.  Right next to "Amherst Sabres."

#15 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,502 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

View PostYuri Olesha, on 08 February 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

I don't want to get all worked up about fracking, because I hate fracking.  Maybe in the Occupy thread.  But I was under the impression that Terry wasn't involved in the Natural Gas business anymore.  If he's a repentant fracker, fair enough, but if he's a compulsive fracker, that changes my opinion of him.

Apparently he is still involved. I believe he said shortly after buying the team that he still has interests in the business. Hence the comment about drilling another well.

View PostSpndnchz, on 08 February 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

I think "lobbied" is the wrong word.  That usually involves money, which he hasn't given to anyone in NYS.

He might eventually.  It's usually necessary for these guys just to talk with you seriously or at least get to the front of the line.

Some form of currency was used to get those officials and lawmakers to get their ###### to Terry's arena. When a popular multibillionaire says get over here, they usually listen.

#16 Yuri Olesha

Yuri Olesha

?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Well, I guess, now that Terry and Kim live here in Buffalo, full time, someone should ask them how they would feel about fracking in their own back yard.  

I know that Shannahan didn't like it one bit.

#17 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostEleven, on 08 February 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

Don't hold your breath. Natural gas, like other fossil fuel commodities, is priced on a global basis. US oil production grew faster in 2012 than in any time in history and is set to surge even more, and we haven't seen any pricing benefit from that. And we aren't likely to, either.

GO SABRES!!!

#18 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,006 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostK-9, on 08 February 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

Don't hold your breath. Natural gas, like other fossil fuel commodities, is priced on a global basis. US oil production grew faster in 2012 than in any time in history and is set to surge even more, and we haven't seen any pricing benefit from that. And we aren't likely to, either.

GO SABRES!!!
Actually NG prices have dropped substantially since the fracking boom began.  And unlike oil which doesn't have to be altered to be shipped overseas, NG has to be compressed to the point of liquidation to be efficiently transported globally.  The US currently has few LNG stations at ports, and most of those that we have were initially planned to receive LNG, not ship it out.

And I expect most of the benes that 11 mention are items such as jobs and tax revenue which are currently going to PA as NYS tries to figure out whether they want to allow very limited fracking or ban it outright.

#19 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,208 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

The Third Department (the mid-level appellate court for northern and much of central NY) upheld a decision allowing municipalities, as a zoning matter, to decide whether to allow hydrofracking.  No doubt, this will go to the Court of Appeals, but it is a victory for those of you opposed to fracking.

#20 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,831 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

Didn't I see something recently that the EPA has revised methane figures sharply lower?  Something about better gaskets or something.

#21 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

It does? I'm not so sure. I worked as a (low, low level) lobbyist once upon a moon. Our work was focused on putting together presentations and media that were designed to educate and influence legislators on behalf of the people who paid for our efforts. To me, lobbying, whether it's being done by an agency or a direct stakeholder, is about trying to persuade the legislators on how to view a certain issue. I realize there are some in Albany who've taken money or other valuable consideration in order to take a certain view on a certain issue, but ... um, that's illegal (and a lot of them have also been convicted and jailed for that sort of nonsense).

Even so, thanks for the great Kinks link.

View PostTaro T, on 08 February 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

Actually NG prices have dropped substantially since the fracking boom began.

Honest to God, when the price of NG started to fall through the floor, and, at about the same time, TB started chirping about the franchise's need to be more fiscally sound, I was sorta like

Edited by That Aud Smell, 02 May 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#22 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 02 May 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

[/size]

It does? I'm not so sure. I worked as a (low, low level) lobbyist once upon a moon. Our work was focused on putting together presentations and media that were designed to educate and influence legislators on behalf of the people who paid for our efforts. To me, lobbying, whether it's being done by an agency or a direct stakeholder, is about trying to persuade the legislators on how to view a certain issue. I realize there are some in Albany who've taken money or other valuable consideration in order to take a certain view on a certain issue, but ... um, that's illegal (and a lot of them have also been convicted and jailed for that sort of nonsense).

Even so, thanks for the great Kinks link.

Honest to God, when the price of NG started to fall through the floor, and, at about the same time, TB started chirping about the franchise's need to be more fiscally sound, I was sorta like

Money = campaign donartion = access

#23 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Battista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

View Postbunomatic, on 08 February 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

He's a fracking hockey fan. What more do you want ? ;)

Notice that Chz's location is FRACKING Shanahan's house?   I think maybe she's already been bought and paid for.  :lol:

#24 Wacka

Wacka

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Watch Frack Nation. Shows that the opponents to fracking are idiots and watermelons (green ob the outside, red on the inside)

#25 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,208 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

I always thought of them as Mallo Cups (chocolatey on the outside, marshmallowy on the inside).  But watermelon, I guess?  

Look, there are plenty of pros and plenty of cons, and I'm not sure it's divided along traditional political lines.

#26 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

View PostWacka, on 02 May 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

Watch Frack Nation. Shows that the opponents to fracking are idiots and watermelons (green ob the outside, red on the inside)
That doesn't allow for much nuance.

I'm not sure if I'm opposed or not. But I do use water every day. Is there a vegetable or fruit to name that?

#27 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,208 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 02 May 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

That doesn't allow for much nuance.

I'm not sure if I'm opposed or not. But I do use water every day. Is there a vegetable or fruit to name that?

Vegetable:  idiot; fruit:  watermelon.  Did you not read his post?

#28 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

View PostEleven, on 02 May 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

Vegetable:  idiot; fruit:  watermelon.  Did you not read his post?

Ewww.....those college board analogies always stumped me. I'll do better next time.

#29 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,208 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 02 May 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

Ewww.....those college board analogies always stumped me. I'll do better next time.

The Princeton Review can help.

#30 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

View PostEleven, on 02 May 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

The Princeton Review can help.

That sounds too easy....I think I'll take a Stan Kaplan course. I want to ace it.

#31 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,208 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

True story:  Stan Kaplan flunked Sabres University.

#32 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:44 AM

Truly yours. Your biggest fan. This is Stan.

#33 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

I think "lobbied" is the wrong word. That usually involves money, which he hasn't given to anyone in NYS. He might eventually.

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 02 May 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

[/size] It does? I'm not so sure. ... To me, lobbying, whether it's being done by an agency or a direct stakeholder, is about trying to persuade the legislators on how to view a certain issue.

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 02 May 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

Money = campaign donartion = access

Surely, monetary donations give rise to greater access for lobbying. I was just riffing on the idea that the money is the lobbying--that's actually called something else (bribery in most places). The cynics among us will say (perhaps rightly) that most politicians are effectively bought--just in indirect ways that aren't always easy to perceive or trace or pin on them. Even in that event, though, that ain't lobbying either--that's just covert bribery. Lobbying is the act and the art of persuasion.

#34 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 03 May 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

Surely, monetary donations give rise to greater access for lobbying. I was just riffing on the idea that the money is the lobbying--that's actually called something else (bribery in most places). The cynics among us will say (perhaps rightly) that most politicians are effectively bought--just in indirect ways that aren't always easy to perceive or trace or pin on them. Even in that event, though, that ain't lobbying either--that's just covert bribery. Lobbying is the act and the art of persuasion.

Yes, and you don't get the chance to persuade without access, and you don't get access without money for campaign contributions or SuperPAC donation.

#35 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 03 May 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

Yes, and you don't get the chance to persuade without access, and you don't get access without money for campaign contributions or SuperPAC donation.

Fair enough. My point being: money =/= lobbying.

I will also venture--in response to your "you don't get access without money"--that there are means of access that don't involve pay-to-play scenarios (I am excluding the occasional $50 or $100 check (or whatever) that a private citizen might write to a candidate they believe in) and there are politicians who can be persuaded in the absence of their campaign coffers being lined. Take my former neighbors (they moved to the country), who managed to push through a not insignificant piece of land use reform a few years back (like I said, they'd moved to the country). They had some help from a local university (not UB) and a not-for-profit, but, for the most part, it was their dogged efforts and *gasp* the proper functioning of a democratic republic that made it happen.

Now, if you and I were to try to mount support for a bill to effect a reform in the financial services sector? Yeah, that ain't happening.