33 replies to this topic

#1 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Go ahead and laugh, but here's what I see happening.... the next 5 games or so will be more of the same- win one, lose two- but in the meantime, the defense will tighten up and the team will go on a tear, and end up in a solid playoff position.

I'm going on record saying this now, so I can recall this thread in April and say I told ya so.

#2 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

I think you're way off.

I really hope that you are very much right.

#3 DHawerchuk10

DHawerchuk10

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostDoohickie, on 08 February 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

Go ahead and laugh, but here's what I see happening.... the next 5 games or so will be more of the same- win one, lose two- but in the meantime, the defense will tighten up and the team will go on a tear, and end up in a solid playoff position.

I'm going on record saying this now, so I can recall this thread in April and say I told ya so.

Very bold of you, and I would be happy to hear the "I told you so", but its not happening.  The Sabres have nowhere to go but up, but their defensive struggles are more fundamental than just having a couple off games.  They may be able to to amp up the offense and calm the defensive waters enough to challenge for 8th, but I can't foresee a "solid playoff position".

#4 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

At least 6th place. Within 4 points of the division title.

#5 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

I wish I shared your optimism Doo.

Edited by bunomatic, 08 February 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#6 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

I agree with the eventually going on a tear part, but I disagree on the solid playoff position.  The tear that they will eventually go on, like always, will put them in the 7th-10th place range.  But like the others, I hope that you get to say I told ya so.

#7 nucci

nucci

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

and when you're wrong..........?

#8 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Makin' it rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

The fact that most of the team is underperforming suggests coaching is more the issue than lack of talent.

PTR

#9 Realist

Realist

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

Sorry, that's what I thought would happen after the comeback against Boston and they came out and played worse than they ever have.  Yesterday, they played a team that had a tough game the night before and had to make a comeback in the third, I'll even say lucky comeback.  Its not like they dominated that 3rd period and it was inevitable they would tie it up.  Unless this team goes on a tear now, they are not going anywhere.

#10 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,511 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

Define "solid playoff position"? :rolleyes:

#11 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostLabattBlue, on 08 February 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

Define "solid playoff position"? :rolleyes:

View PostLastPommerFan, on 08 February 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

At least 6th place. Within 4 points of the division title.

#12 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,511 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 08 February 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

Is your name doohickie? :doh:

#13 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostLabattBlue, on 08 February 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

Is your name doohickie? :doh:

LastPommerFan said:

#14 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 08 February 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

The fact that most of the team is underperforming suggests coaching is more the issue than lack of talent.

PTR

How is it a "fact" that most of them are underperforming?  I think most of them are performing exactly as expected, a couple are exceeding expectations, and a couple aren't meeting expectations.

#15 buftex

buftex

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

I half agree with ...I think this team has enough talent that it is ludicrous that being one of the top 8 teams in the Eastern Conference should be in doubt...I am optimistic that they can turn things around...still have concerns over the coach...not sure if concerns over the coach and my perception of the teams talent will conflict...keeping my fingers crossed.

#16 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

For those challenging my assertion or asking questions:  I've said my piece and now we'll have to wait until April to see if I'm right.

#17 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostDoohickie, on 08 February 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

For those challenging my assertion or asking questions:  I've said my piece and now we'll have to wait until April to see if I'm right.

Again I hope you are.  I REALLY hope you are.  It would be great to see some hockey in May.

#18 bcardona

bcardona

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

If Myers gets right, they are maybe a playoff team.  If not, the Amerks will win the Calder Cup.

#19 billsrcursed

billsrcursed

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

View Postbcardona, on 08 February 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

If Myers gets right, they are maybe a playoff team.  If not, the Amerks will win the Calder Cup.

You think Stafford can continue the way he's performed as long as Myers starts to produce?

I'm sorry, and I've liked Stafford's effort, but a top 6 foward cannot afford to not contribute in the points column and expect his team to finish anywhere but below the 8 spot.

I know our D has been shaky, but I can't help but feel Stafford is the biggest issue for this team right now. They HAVE to get something out of that position. Maybe swap him and Ott, I don't know...

#20 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,935 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

No way.

The schedule is different this year....all these games in a short amount of time is going to blow these guys to bits....especially with Enroth looking near worthless.

The needed to start fast. I'd put cash down that they don't get more than 12 points their last 12 games.

#21 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,861 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

Doesn't matter because Lindy can't coach them.

#22 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

Forget all of the I told you so nonsense.  I could go back to any thread on the board and find a post that's wrong.

I'm not prognosticating the entire season yet (I'm just spectating- try it sometime), but come from behind wins like last night's tend to impact team chemistry and effort in a positive way.  We saw what a good Sabres team can look like with this group of players in Boston and in various spots in some games.  We have the potential.  I think some of our systematic weaknesses improved a little last night.

Either way, there's more to come, and as a fan, I'm all in.

#23 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,782 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Unfortunately, I think it's too early to call. It's safe to say the team has the ability to go on a winning streak. We have been witness to this several season in a row. However, there are too many outstanding variables right now: can they turn it around; can they become more consistent; what will happen with other teams in the division; etc.

I can't even posit a guess on how they would handle the playoffs because of how uncertain things are right now. If they turn it around and become consistent - perhaps making it past the first round is possible. Right now, if we remove the possibilities, and only go on what they have shown us, there is no way they finish 9 or 10.

#24 Braedon

Braedon

You cannot leave the magic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Theyre better than they've shown.  Regehr was even +/- through 5 games @ 17min TOI/G before getting hurt.  Myers was even on the year until Regehr got hurt, now he's -9.  If RR comes back soon I predict a slight bump in wins.  But I still think we end up ~9th.

#25 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,788 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

21-9-7 first round playoff against Tampa Bay

#26 bcardona

bcardona

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

View Postbillsrcursed, on 08 February 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

You think Stafford can continue the way he's performed as long as Myers starts to produce?

I'm sorry, and I've liked Stafford's effort, but a top 6 foward cannot afford to not contribute in the points column and expect his team to finish anywhere but below the 8 spot.

I know our D has been shaky, but I can't help but feel Stafford is the biggest issue for this team right now. They HAVE to get something out of that position. Maybe swap him and Ott, I don't know...
Idk. No love lost there, but Stafford will warm up at some point for a few weeks, Vanek will cool down.  The D is a big prob!  And Myers is supposed to be a our horse.

#27 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

Okay so...

I was wrong, stupid fanboy that I am.

#28 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,427 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostDoohickie, on 24 April 2013 - 06:33 AM, said:

Okay so...

It could be worse. You could have started this thread today. I thought you did. I was loaded for bear!

#29 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,867 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

My new theory on this team and the past few years is simple:
They have lacked enough talent to cover up for what I will term off nights. Those are nights where either they can't get the bounces or they simply don't have the hustle and flow of some of their other games.  It happens to every team. No team is consistently 100% every game.  Due to the sabres lack of talent they get beat a lot in the early part of the season because when they aren't full throttle they just dont have the talent to compensate.  Towards the end of seasons they feel the pressure more as their is more of a clear playoff picture and they can feel what is at stake. They have less off nights because simply put they are leaving it all out there.  They will still lose every other game or so because they lack the real talent to win.  Winners do not have the worst pp and one of the worst pk's and the worst Shots Against average in the league.  Bottom line this team is not talented enough and therefor can not win on talent alone or at this juncture hard work.

Vince Lombardi:

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while......you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing."

#30 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 24 April 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

My new theory on this team and the past few years is simple:
They have lacked enough talent to cover up for what I will term off nights. Those are nights where either they can't get the bounces or they simply don't have the hustle and flow of some of their other games.  It happens to every team. No team is consistently 100% every game.  Due to the sabres lack of talent they get beat a lot in the early part of the season because when they aren't full throttle they just dont have the talent to compensate.  Towards the end of seasons they feel the pressure more as their is more of a clear playoff picture and they can feel what is at stake. They have less off nights because simply put they are leaving it all out there.  They will still lose every other game or so because they lack the real talent to win.  Winners do not have the worst pp and one of the worst pk's and the worst Shots Against average in the league.  Bottom line this team is not talented enough and therefor can not win on talent alone or at this juncture hard work.

Vince Lombardi:

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while......you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing."

Excellent post. For all the talk about coaches and schemes, it starts with talented players to execute them.  We just don't have enough to compensate for nights when guys don't bring their best games. I think we're a "tweener" team. Part NHL, part AHL.

GO SABRES!!!

#31 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

View PostDoohickie, on 24 April 2013 - 06:33 AM, said:

Okay so...

There's nothing wrong about being optimistic and enthusastic about our favorite team.  You just need to temper that with a bit of reality.  ;)

There is a clear talent differential between the Sabres and a team like the Penguins.  But, the Sabres have won the last two meetings with them.  One thing that I've noticed all season long (and yeah, last season too) is that the Sabres seem slow.  Slow to react, slow skating, slow desicion-making. They have consistently been beaten to loose pucks in their own end by just about every team they face.  It's all about effort.

#32 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostSabre Dance, on 24 April 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

It's all about effort.

This was my hope when RR took the team over- that the fresh eyes and fresh style would get the effort level up.  When they put the effort in, they win.

When I lived in Detroit, this was said about the Red Wings.  I remember they got a whole bank of stationary bikes and after every home game, they'd ride the bikes as hard as they could for an hour.  It took a while, but they eventually developed that jump.  I don't know, maybe all the teams have rooms full of bikes now...

#33 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostDoohickie, on 24 April 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

This was my hope when RR took the team over- that the fresh eyes and fresh style would get the effort level up.  When they put the effort in, they win.

When I lived in Detroit, this was said about the Red Wings.  I remember they got a whole bank of stationary bikes and after every home game, they'd ride the bikes as hard as they could for an hour.  It took a while, but they eventually developed that jump.  I don't know, maybe all the teams have rooms full of bikes now...

The Sabres have 'em, but Pegula put electric motors on them when he re-did the locker room...  :thumbsup:

#34 bcardona

bcardona

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

View PostDoohickie, on 24 April 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

Speaking of NHL & bikes, Eric Weinrich gave a friend of a friend a run for his money at a bike race this past weekend in Central NY.  I hear he's pretty strong.  "Some former NHL player..???...couldn't drop him!!!"