111 replies to this topic

#1 freester

freester

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I have lost faith in Myers.  I feel he is very soft and lacks leadership and toughness.  He also has a huge contract.  I'm not sure I would trade him for Kessel.

#2 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,744 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

No.

#3 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Random proposal. But no i wouldn't. Myers is decent, he is having a bad few weeks, but people are really over reacting. This guy is something special. Yes he will never be Pronger or Chara with his hits, but so what? He can get better at positioning and play a more stick checking game. He needs to know when to take the guy out of the play with a hit though. That is what he is lacking at the moment.

The guy is 23 and people want to give up on him. I just don't get why? Kessel has a larger contract that Myers and would leave a fairly large hole on our D

#4 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,641 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

View Postfreester, on 07 February 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

I have lost faith in Myers.  I feel he is very soft and lacks leadership and toughness.  He also has a huge contract.  I'm not sure I would trade him for Kessel.

You just described Kessel too: soft, no toughness, no discernible leadership traits. Plus, you have to consider he'll be a UFA and command a $7 million contract.

#5 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Will they throw Connolly in the trade also?

#6 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,362 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 07 February 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

He can get better at positioning and play a more stick checking game. He needs to know when to take the guy out of the play with a hit though. That is what he is lacking at the moment.
I have no interest in Kessel, but Myers complete game is a trainwreck right now, not just what you described above.  In addition to the problems you stated, he is playing hot potato with the puck, he has no offensive game at all, and no physical play.  I consider it a plus when he is staying on his skates nowadays.

#7 BuffaloSoldier2010

BuffaloSoldier2010

your father's brother's cousin's former roommate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

no chance.

#8 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

Not for Kessel, unless they throw in much more.
I would seriously think about a Myers for Phaneuf plus type deal though

#9 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

I think I would do it. The Sabres need another scoring threat, as is clearly illustrated by Thomas Vanek's line scoring something like 60% of the team's goals so far. Drew Stafford's BEST year, when he scored 30+ goals and made us think he had finally arrived, is an average year for Kessel. Phil is struggling big time right now, no doubt about it, but it hasn't been from lack of chances. He leads the league in shots on goal, he's just snake-bitten like no other. The goals will come. Imagine how much dangerous the offense becomes with another proven certified sniper. He's a first line player, but with V-H-P playing so well, I imagine Phil would play on the second line, pushing Stafford to a third line role, where frankly, he probably belongs.

I don't think the Leafs would do it. Despite his struggles right now, Kessel is their offense and has been since he was brought in. He is an elite player in the league, in my opinion. The Leafs could use a defenseman like Myers, but they have some decent pieces in place on the blue line, and high expectations for guys like Jake Gardiner and Morgan Reilly to fill their holes eventually. Also, Myers' struggles scare me a lot more than Kessel's do. Kessel is still playing well and getting chances, he is just being robbed or hitting the post. Myers struggles seem to be mental mistakes, things like bad pinches or losing coverage in his own end.

All in all, I think value wise it is a pretty close trade. I've always been a big Kessel fan, so would love to see him in the blue & gold. I haven't entirely lost faith in Myers, I just think this team needs another goal scorer more than anything. Same reason I wanted them to sign Semin over the Summer.

#10 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,712 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

NFW

#11 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

View Postthesportsbuff, on 07 February 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

I think I would do it.
Go to your room.

#12 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostRobviously, on 07 February 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

Go to your room.

Honestly, I'm a little shocked to see it so one-sided so far. :ph34r:

#13 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

View Postthesportsbuff, on 07 February 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

Honestly, I'm a little shocked to see it so one-sided so far. :ph34r:

I just see him as a poor man's Vanek. Our defense is pretty thin on talent as it is and I think a rebounded Myers is more useful to the team than Vanek light. Also imagine if we trade Myers and have to play him 6 times a year and he turns into a Norris trophy calibre player (as many analysts say he could do)

#14 bobis

bobis

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

no

#15 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 07 February 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

I just see him as a poor man's Vanek. Our defense is pretty thin on talent as it is and I think a rebounded Myers is more useful to the team than Vanek light. Also imagine if we trade Myers and have to play him 6 times a year and he turns into a Norris trophy calibre player (as many analysts say he could do)
A rebounded Myers might be more useful to our team than anyone (ie. anyone we could realistically get).  I'm not exaggerating when I say that the 2009-2010 Tyler Myers might be enough to make us above average.  He was that good and he made everyone else better.

That's the problem with trading Myers.  Nothing we could get is as useful as just turning him around.  So if we have to change coaches to get him going, I'm cool with that.

Edited by Robviously, 07 February 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#16 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,641 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 07 February 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

Not for Kessel, unless they throw in much more.
I would seriously think about a Myers for Phaneuf plus type deal though

Phaneuf?!? Ugh. I'd trade Myers and Ennis and a 1st for Kessel before I traded Myers for Phaneuf.

View PostRobviously, on 07 February 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

That's the problem with trading Myers.  Nothing we could get is as useful as just turning him around.  So if we have to change coaches to get him going, I'm cool with that.

Totally agree. Selling low on Myers would be awful.

#17 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,210 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Not for a Kessel, nor David Steckel
Not for a Kadri, even with Connolly
Dion Phaneuf, would not be enough
Frattin, Fraser, Franson, no Fruition
Colton Orr, they'll need more
JVR, JM Liles will not bring smiles
Bozak & Komarov, they can go f*** off

#18 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 07 February 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

Phaneuf?!? Ugh. I'd trade Myers and Ennis and a 1st for Kessel before I traded Myers for Phaneuf.

I was wondering who ...

... and now I know.

#19 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 07 February 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

I disagree with the "poor man's" Vanek statement. Their production is similar but Kessel almost always outscores him. I see him as an equal to Vanek, or a rich man's Stafford. It would create a hole on our defense, but as so eloquently put by LB, Myers (as well as the rest of our D) is a trainwreck right now anyway, and really has been for really the better part of two years. Honestly we could play some combination of Regehr, Weber, Sekera, Leopold, Ehrhoff, Sulzer, Brennan, McNabb, and Pardy and not notice much of a difference. This of course speaking in present tense -- there is certainly still hope for Myers to become an elite defenseman, but goal scoring has always been a problem on this team.

#20 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

View Postthesportsbuff, on 07 February 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

I disagree with the "poor man's" Vanek statement. Their production is similar but Kessel almost always outscores him. I see him as an equal to Vanek, or a rich man's Stafford. It would create a hole on our defense, but as so eloquently put by LB, Myers (as well as the rest of our D) is a trainwreck right now anyway, and really has been for really the better part of two years. Honestly we could play some combination of Regehr, Weber, Sekera, Leopold, Ehrhoff, Sulzer, Brennan, McNabb, and Pardy and not notice much of a difference. This of course speaking in present tense -- there is certainly still hope for Myers to become an elite defenseman, but goal scoring has always been a problem on this team.

Firstly, the key word is now. Myers is not playing well now. When (not if) he recovers he will be back on track to being elite. He has got better almost every game and this trend will continue - maybe his ankle is still a little weak. He was not as bad as people remember last year, they just want it to be that way so it makes more sense.

Also he is our only RHD, so that would be another thing to be careful of losing. Also Regehr, Leopold, Sulzer and Pardy are all UFA at the end of this season and Weber is an RFA.

And whoever suggested Phaneuf - speak to a leaf's fan, they would gladly give you him, they just think he is a pilon. The thought of getting Myers for Phaneuf and a few bits would make Leaf fans demand Nonis get put on the canadien dollar

#21 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 07 February 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

Totally agree. Selling low on Myers would be awful.
I tried to dream up a trade for Myers that could work and that I might agree to.  Pretty much all I could come up with was Myers for some other team's top prospect and a 1st round pick.  

Would the Capitals trade Filip Forsberg and a 1st round pick to get Myers?  Maybe.  Forsberg and the pick could amount to absolutely nothing while Myers has already shown that he can dominate in the NHL (and could probably regain that ability).  I liked Forsberg a lot last summer so he'd be awesome to add to the young mix.  That said, right now they're on track to draft in the top 3 so I doubt they're in a hurry to move that pick.  If they were just struggling a little, it'd be a lot more doable for them.  (They might also be really high on Forsberg and consider moving him to be nuts.)  

And that's all I've got.

#22 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

View Postfreester, on 07 February 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

No, but I'd trade Myers for Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton.

#23 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

A big no to Kessel; however, I really like Bobby Ryan in Anahiem; I think a Myers for Bobby Ryan trade would be fair.

Ryan is a perenial 30 goal scorer at 6'2", 200lbs; in his 6 years with Anahiem he has 138 goals, 128 assists, and to top it off 413 hits.

The kid is the real deal, and if the Sabres are thinking trade, Bobby Ryan is on my wish list.

Edited by hockeyhound, 07 February 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#24 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

View Posthockeyhound, on 07 February 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

A big no to Kessel; however, I really like Bobby Ryan in Anahiem; I think a Myers for Bobby Ryan trade would be fair.

Ryan is a perenial 30 goal scorer at 6'2", 200lbs; in his 6 years with Anahiem he has 138 goals, 128 assists, and to top it off 413 hits.

The kid is the real deal, and if the Sabres are thinking trade, Bobby Ryan is on my wish list.

I really don't care for Ryan - I think he is a good player, but his numbers just don't wow me. His stats are very good, but they aren't elite. Also with Perry and Getzlaf maybe leaving, I think Anaheim hold onto their remaining 'star'

#25 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 07 February 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

I really don't care for Ryan - I think he is a good player, but his numbers just don't wow me. His stats are very good, but they aren't elite. Also with Perry and Getzlaf maybe leaving, I think Anaheim hold onto their remaining 'star'

At the end of last season Ryan wanted to be traded; I like the fact that Ryan has an edge to his game which the Sabres desperately need.

I've watched him play against Buffalo in Anahiem over the years, and he always gave the Sabres problems; the kid competes.

Edited by hockeyhound, 07 February 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#26 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

FWIW I heard Bulldog make an interesting point on WGR today about this very subject.  The Sabres cannot trade Myers until a new coaching staff has had a chance to work with him.

This of course taking a huge assumption that Ruff might actually be fired if the team does not improve.

Edited by BRAWNDO, 07 February 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#27 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

View PostBRAWNDO, on 07 February 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

FWIW I heard Bulldog make an interesting point on WGR today about this very subject.  The Sabres cannot trade Myers until a new coaching staff has had a chance to work with him.
Well, they can but they seem to think the problem is anything other than Ruff (forever).  I wouldn't be shocked if Myers is gone before Ruff is.

#28 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,373 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

I would only trade Myers to the Leafs if it was guaranteed to cripple them for the next three to five years.

#29 PotentPowerPlay22

PotentPowerPlay22

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 07 February 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

NFW

I would like to add: NFW!!!!!!

#30 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostRobviously, on 07 February 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

Well, they can but they seem to think the problem is anything other than Ruff (forever).  I wouldn't be shocked if Myers is gone before Ruff is.

Hopefully Pegula and Black will reach a breaking point soon with Ruff.

#31 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

No.

(Said with his best Gretzky in the 'Bo Knows' commercials voice and expression.)

#32 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

Never. Two in the bush beats one in the hand.

#33 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,210 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

View Postwonderbread, on 07 February 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

Never. Two in the bush beats one in the hand.
Depends on who is the other guy in the bush.

#34 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

I'd trade Myers for a dozen postage stamps at this point.  That way when his teammates mail in yet another game, the postage is paid.

#35 Assquatch

Assquatch

Did someone order a new core?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

You think Myers is soft? Kessel is not the guy to acquire for more testicular fortitude.

#36 Formerly Allan in MD

Formerly Allan in MD

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Why?

#37 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

No. We have enough soft

#38 Pville29

Pville29

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

No. As long as Lindy Ruff is still here, we have to stay with Myers because he's a good player, but not under Lindy system. If we have another coach and Myers still suck after a year with the new coach, then he should be traded but until then, we have to stay with him. Anyway, i still have faith in Myers.

Even Crosby would suck under Lindy Ruff stupid defensive system.

#39 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

View Postinkman, on 07 February 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

Depends on who is the other guy in the bush.

Hopefully not this guy.

#40 Meathead

Meathead

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:49 AM

everyone pretends like chara was chara his whole time in the nhl. he wasnt. nobody was

myers will be fine. hes going through normal growing pains for a budding star. personally i look forward to watching as he develops into that star. hopefully it will be here