Could Henrick Tallinder be the answer for Myers?

Tyler Myers Henrick Tallinder

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

I still think that the best pairing we have right now is Sulzer and Ehrhoff; however, after listening to Robi Radio this morning, someone brought up an interesting idea.

It seems that Henrick Tallinder is in the dog house with New Jersey, and it looks like he could be trade bait.

Someone presented the idea that we could possibly acquire Tallinder in an effort to help Tyler Myers, and deal Leopold out the door.

Tallinders career plus minus total is +30, and a -17 over the last 3 seasons with the Devils; in contrast, Jordan Leopold has a career plus minus of -31, and is a -14 over the last 3 seasons.

Like it was proposed on WGR 550, I would agree that getting Tyler Myers on track should be the Sabres first priority, and in my opinion, Henrick Tallinder if he is healthy maybe the man for the job.

The bottom line is that Myers needs someone to pair up with him that helps his game, and that certainly is not Leopold.

Who could the Sabres realistically bring in to help Myers out?

Edited by hockeyhound, 06 February 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#2 MattPie

MattPie

Driver move out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

View Posthockeyhound, on 06 February 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

I still think that the best pairing we have right now is Sulzer and Ehrhoff; however, after listening to Robi Radio this morning, someone brought up an interesting idea.

It seems that Henrick Tallinder is in the dog house with New Jersey, and it looks like he could be trade bait.

Someone presented the idea that we could possibly acquire Tallinder in an effort to help Tyler Myers, and deal Leopold out the door.

Tallinders career plus minus total is +30, and a -17 over the last 3 seasons with the Devils; in contrast, Jordan Leopold has a career plus minus of -31, and is a -14 over the last 3 seasons.

Like it was proposed on WGR 550, I would agree that getting Tyler Myers on track should be the Sabres first priority, and in my opinion, Henrick Tallinder if he is healthy maybe the man for the job.

The bottom line is that Myers needs someone to pair up with him that helps his game, and that certainly is not Leopold.

I was thinking about this the other day, but didn't figure Tallinder would be available. If he's only signed for another year or two, I'd say it's worth a shot. Although I didn't think Myers looked better paired with Pardy. Leopold and a prospect for Tallinder? How is NJ set for offensive-minded D?

#3 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostMattPie, on 06 February 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

I was thinking about this the other day, but didn't figure Tallinder would be available. If he's only signed for another year or two, I'd say it's worth a shot. Although I didn't think Myers looked better paired with Pardy. Leopold and a prospect for Tallinder? How is NJ set for offensive-minded D?

I vote no.  Bad plus minus on what has always been a defense first teams tells me he's washed up.  If they waived him, maybe and we could always waive him if it doesn't work out.  I wouldn't trade anything for him.

#4 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

i don't think myers' struggles are principally about who his partner is. i think his struggles are mostly about how the league has adjusted to him and plays him differently now than when he was a rookie. that said, i'd be all for bringing back tallinder and shipping out leopold.

#5 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

I brought this up jokingly in a thread a few days ago,  I think the problems with Tyler Myers' game right now go beyond what any new defense partner could help him with.  I still hope the kid can turn things around, but he's really regressed.

#6 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Myers had a really decent game against Ottawa, bar that one bad play (that Pardy could have broken up). People seem to be so swayed by what the final score is on their assessment of players

But yeah, I wouldn't mind trading for Tallinder - Leopold and a 5th for Tallinder or something

Edited by ThirtyEight, 06 February 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#7 MattPie

MattPie

Driver move out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 06 February 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

Myers had a really decent game against Ottawa, bar that one bad play (that Pardy could have broken up). People seem to be so swayed by what the final score is on their assessment of players

Yeah, it looked like Myers was feeling it with the skating at least.

#8 Who Else?

Who Else?

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

I think Myers might look great in a Devils Sweater

#9 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,422 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

But yeah, I wouldn't mind trading for Tallinder - Leopold and a 5th for Tallinder or something

I think Lindy said it quite simply the other day when he told Myers to "just keep the puck in front of you".

#10 BuffaloSoldier2010

BuffaloSoldier2010

your father's brother's cousin's former roommate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

I'll tell you right now the devils won't go for that deal.  They're one of the few teams in the league with a surplus in d men.  He's definitely available IMO but acquiring him and dealing leopold would require two separate deals.

#11 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Interesting comment Roby also made that he thinks Leopolds poor play this year has been due to playing with Myers and having to play a role that isn't his type of game.  True or not; I don't know.  But if Leopold shows an improvement to his play now that he is away from Myers it will be interesting to see.

#12 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

View Postnobody, on 06 February 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Interesting comment Roby also made that he thinks Leopolds poor play this year has been due to playing with Myers and having to play a role that isn't his type of game.  True or not; I don't know.  But if Leopold shows an improvement to his play now that he is away from Myers it will be interesting to see.
I think thats probaly the case with leo. I said it before ideally Myers needs a smart D partner. The kind that is just in the right spot alot (teppo/tallinder types)

#13 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Sure, lets get the old band back together!

Think Drury can come out of retirement? Maybe Teppo can just slap some skates and a jersey on and become a player/coach? JP Dumont is playing over in Europe right now too..........
TP seems to love the past Sabres, maybe Tallinder could be one of them?

Seriously, everyones running Ruff out of town because he has been here so long, and he is getting stale, yet everyone always brings up trying to get back former players. The problem is they need some fresh new talent to come in here. If Myers can only play well with Tallinder, see if the Devils want him cause theres a serious problem with him and he is not a franchise player then. Wouldn't it be better to find a better, similar style player to Tallinder that isn't a healthy scratch?

Although on the other hand, if it meant shipping off Leo, I could accept that

#14 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostMattPie, on 06 February 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

I think I would agree, it is worth a shot.

View PostGrumpy, on 06 February 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

I vote no.  Bad plus minus on what has always been a defense first teams tells me he's washed up.  If they waived him, maybe and we could always waive him if it doesn't work out.  I wouldn't trade anything for him.

I think Tallinder has a better career plus minus; however, your point about his current plus minus could be an indication that his career is over.

On the other hand, Tallinder did well with the Sabres playing Lindy's system; could it be that Tallinder doesn't fit with the Devil's style of play, or would you say it doesn't matter Tallinder should be able to play wherever he goes.

I am having trouble with the fact that Leopold is still with Buffalo; to me, taking a chance on Tallinder and dealing away Leopold doesn't seem like it could hurt us if Tallinder has gas in the tank for one more season, and if it would help Myers get back to the form that got him the Calder Trophy.

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 06 February 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

i don't think myers' struggles are principally about who his partner is. i think his struggles are mostly about how the league has adjusted to him and plays him differently now than when he was a rookie. that said, i'd be all for bringing back tallinder and shipping out leopold.

Hockeyhound:
I would agree that teams in the league have done their due dilegence on Myers, and have really picked apart his game; however, I still feel like the guy is in a vulnerable place right now, and maybe a familiar face and voice would really help. After watching some of the interviews, wow he is shaken up.

Would you agree that the Tallinder, Myers tadem was good for the team; I can't remember everything that happened back then but, I seem to recall those two shut things down, and Tallinder's game really bounced back when he was paired with Myers.

Hockeyhound:
IMO the score is indicative of the overall team performance; from the forwards to the goalie. I would have to agree with the guys on WGR; why are we settleing for, wow Myers skated better today. The Sabres really see Myers as a big piece of the puzzle when they considered what kind of players they needed to win the Stanely Cup.

View PostBuffaloSoldier2010, on 06 February 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

I'll tell you right now the devils won't go for that deal.  They're one of the few teams in the league with a surplus in d men.  He's definitely available IMO but acquiring him and dealing leopold would require two separate deals.

Could Buffalo just buy out Tallinders contract under the new CBA?

If the Devil's want cap room, and they have a surplus maybe they would be willing to move Tallinder.

I still don't have the hang of the multi post; I screwed it up.

Edited by hockeyhound, 06 February 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#15 DHawerchuk10

DHawerchuk10

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

An interesting thought, but if Myers needs a certain type of partner to play better, why keep Myers?  That is almost like saying "boy we got a good player in Rob Brown, but we better acquire Mario Lemieux so he can score 50 goals again".  Given his contract, Myers should be able to be paired with anyone and bring out the best in them, not vice versa.  As others have pointed out, Myers main issues primarily haven't been with who he has been paired but rather perceived physical issues (his skating has been atrocious this year) compounded by horrible decision making. Perhaps an undisclosed injury and he is compensating too much?  Who knows, but my view on Myers potential wasn't that high to begin with and I didn't think he was all that great the past two years anyway.

#16 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostDHawerchuk10, on 06 February 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

An interesting thought, but if Myers needs a certain type of partner to play better, why keep Myers?  That is almost like saying "boy we got a good player in Rob Brown, but we better acquire Mario Lemieux so he can score 50 goals again".  Given his contract, Myers should be able to be paired with anyone and bring out the best in them, not vice versa.  As others have pointed out, Myers main issues primarily haven't been with who he has been paired but rather perceived physical issues (his skating has been atrocious this year) compounded by horrible decision making. Perhaps an undisclosed injury and he is compensating too much?  Who knows, but my view on Myers potential wasn't that high to begin with and I didn't think he was all that great the past two years anyway.

Maybe we should just buy Myers out? That would save us making any trades. Thoughts?
Also Rob Scuderi is a Tallinder type player and is a UFA at the end of the season. let's get him (if i say it enough one day DR might stumble across the website and my many comments on him and decide i am right :P)

View Posthockeyhound, on 06 February 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

IMO the score is indicative of the overall team performance; from the forwards to the goalie. I would have to agree with the guys on WGR; why are we settleing for, wow Myers skated better today. The Sabres really see Myers as a big piece of the puzzle when they considered what kind of players they needed to win the Stanely Cup.

Because Myers has started slow. The guy will come around, his past has not been nearly as bad as people have remembered. It is about leading back to where he was - so we settle for the fact this looked a thousand times more like the Tyler we know than the one this season has shown

#17 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 06 February 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Think Drury can come out of retirement? Maybe Teppo can just slap some skates and a jersey on and become a player/coach? JP Dumont is playing over in Europe right now too..........

Seriously, everyones running Ruff out of town because he has been here so long, and he is getting stale, yet everyone always brings up trying to get back former players. The problem is they need some fresh new talent to come in here. If Myers can only play well with Tallinder, see if the Devils want him cause theres a serious problem with him and he is not a franchise player then. Wouldn't it be better to find a better, similar style player to Tallinder that isn't a healthy scratch?

I dont know that your post is directed at me but i will take as such. I dont want teppo playing nor hank back in blue and gold. I am saying that is the style of D partner Myers seems to do best with. But by all means in true buffalo fandom fashion take what was said and go ad nasuem with it

#18 MattPie

MattPie

Driver move out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

I get what you're saying, but to think that anyone should be able to play with anyone might be optimistic. We talk about chemistry a lot with forward lines and whatnot, and how 26-19-29 just know where each other are going to be. Why would it be different with D? Should Vanek be just as good if Scott is on his other wing?

#19 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

I would agree with you, he has been in the league long enough that he should be making other players better, and should not have to rely on having the right partner.

But what do they do with a guy they have invested so much in, and who they are counting on to lead them to the promised land.

The kid seems like a head case right now; I think he needs a steady vetran next to him that can help get him on track.

Edited by hockeyhound, 06 February 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#20 DHawerchuk10

DHawerchuk10

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Depends on what you mean by decent.  By decent do you mean he completed a couple passes, didn't fall down on his own, and didn't cough up the puck every other play?  In all seriousness, it was a step in the right direction (I even saw a Tyler Myers body check for the first time this season), but a far cry from where he needs to be.

If he needs an example of where needs to be, he only need look at Erik Karlsson.  I'd rather Myers be more physically dominating than Karlsson as his frame would suggest, but that Karlsson kid can do it all, and would settle for those type of performances any day of the week from Myers.

#21 MattPie

MattPie

Driver move out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 06 February 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

Maybe we should just buy Myers out? That would save us making any trades. Thoughts?

Someone will give us something for Myers. I'd guess at the *very least* another struggling prospect (ideally signed to a shorter, cheaper contract) or high picks. I doubt we're really going to see more than a couple buy-outs come the off season. There must be GMs out there that are thinking the same thing that many of the folks here do: Ruff's system is ruining Myers, and a change of scenery will fix that.

#22 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Are you trying to say that a guy being paid as (and expected to be) a franchise Defencemen should be making guys around him better, not needing someone else to make him better?

#23 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

I've been waiting for folks to say they need to get Gaustad back to help them with faceoffs.

#24 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostMattPie, on 06 February 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

Someone will give us something for Myers. I'd guess at the *very least* another struggling prospect (ideally signed to a shorter, cheaper contract) or high picks. I doubt we're really going to see more than a couple buy-outs come the off season. There must be GMs out there that are thinking the same thing that many of the folks here do: Ruff's system is ruining Myers, and a change of scenery will fix that.

I was being sarcastic. Myers would fetch a lot. But i think he will bounce back just fine. It is not unusual for a young D man to struggle. Also Scuderi has spent the last 3 seasons mentoring Doughty...just saying

View Postnobody, on 06 February 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

I've been waiting for folks to say they need to get Gaustad back to help them with faceoffs.

People have already said that! They say trading him was a mistake as we lost our faceoff guy

#25 DHawerchuk10

DHawerchuk10

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 06 February 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

Also Rob Scuderi is a Tallinder type player and is a UFA at the end of the season. let's get him (if i say it enough one day DR might stumble across the website and my many comments on him and decide i am right :P)

Because Myers has started slow. The guy will come around, his past has not been nearly as bad as people have remembered. It is about leading back to where he was - so we settle for the fact this looked a thousand times more like the Tyler we know than the one this season has shown

He will play better, no question.  But if that performance was a thousand times better and closer to his baseline, you have basically equated him to a mediocre defenseman.

#26 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Respectfully, I don't think everyone wants to run Lindy out of town or bring back former players; however, would you agree that the Myers issue is something of importance at the moment?

I certainly do not want to see a bunch of old players come back but, I have to say I wouldn't mind seeing Brian Campbell in Sabres uniform again.

When I considered the idea, I thought we are not gaining anything by keeping Leopold, and if Tallinder came at the right price for a season, it might be worth a try.

Edited by hockeyhound, 06 February 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#27 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostDHawerchuk10, on 06 February 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

He will play better, no question.  But if that performance was a thousand times better and closer to his baseline, you have basically equated him to a mediocre defenseman.

I think on a bad Tyler Myers day he is a mediocre defenseman. On a good day he is top 10. His play will get better, and it is encouraging to seem him move in the right direction - his skating was a lot better, as was his play. Once he gets confidence he will be back on form.

Also, in this shortened season, players have less time to review their play (i mean mentally, not watching game tape) so really it has only been 2 weeks of bad play - something which is not abnormal

#28 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostMattPie, on 06 February 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

I thought that Bobby Ryan from the Ducks would be a fair trade for Myers; however, you hate to give up a Calder Cup winner and have it bite you in the a** later on.

Edited by hockeyhound, 06 February 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#29 ColdBlueNorth

ColdBlueNorth

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

The Canadian announcers last night were really focusing on how Meyer's play devolved without the veteran presence of Tallinder. The club has millions wrapped up in this kid, it would be worth a shot to get the defensive partner he worked best with back in the lineup.

I don't know if it will help, but at least it would show that Darcy is giving the kid every chance he can to get back into the saddle. At this point his head just does not seem to be in the game, no hustle for loose pucks, late on checks and cutting off the wall, can't hit on his passes, indecision on pinching and fighting the puck when he gets it. His play of late could be used as a training video of all the wrong things to do and it certainly does not help pairing him up with the perenially awful Leopold.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth, 06 February 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#30 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

View Postnobody, on 06 February 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

View PostThirtyEight, on 06 February 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

People have already said that! They say trading him was a mistake as we lost our faceoff guy

No, no you got it all wrong.

They were saying that it was great that DR got a first rounder for him, but they wanted to sign him back when he became a UFA.

Yikes, just yikes.

And for the record.

Bad plan to bring Tallinder back.

#31 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

View PostColdBlueNorth, on 06 February 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

The Canadian announcers last night were really focusing on how Meyer's play devolved without the veteran presence of Tallinder. The club has millions wrapped up in this kid, it would be worth a shot to get the defensive partner he worked best with back in the lineup.

I don't know if it will help, but at least it would show that Darcy is giving the kid every chance he can to get back into the saddle. At this point his head just does not seem to be in the game, no hustle for loose pucks, late on checks and cutting off the wall, can't hit on his passes, indecision on pinching and fighting the puck when he gets it. His play of late could be used as a training video of all the wrong things to do and it certainly does not help pairing him up with the perenially awful Leopold.

Agreed; I think we have seen enough of Leopold.

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 06 February 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

No, no you got it all wrong.

They were saying that it was great that DR got a first rounder for him, but they wanted to sign him back when he became a UFA.

Yikes, just yikes.

And for the record.

Bad plan to bring Tallinder back.

What would you suggest; the stats suggest Tallinder is a better player than Leopold.

I know stats can be decieving; however, I think the Sabres really need to consider something quick before Myers goes under.

I just cannot see benching a million dollar player; if Tallinder is still healthy, and can play for the rest of the season, I think I would rather try him out and get rid of Leopold.

I think the idea is that Tallinder already knows how Lindy likes to play, he knows the system.

I can't imagine that it would take Tallinder to long to get back up to speed, and if not Tallinder then somebody other than Leopold.

#32 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

View Posthockeyhound, on 06 February 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

Agreed; I think we have seen enough of Leopold.

What would you suggest; the stats suggest Tallinder is a better player than Leopold.

I know stats can be decieving; however, I think the Sabres really need to consider something quick before Myers goes under.

I just cannot see benching a million dollar player; if Tallinder is still healthy, and can play for the rest of the season, I think I would rather try him out and get rid of Leopold.

I think the idea is that Tallinder already knows how Lindy likes to play, he knows the system.

I can't imagine that it would take Tallinder to long to get back up to speed, and if not Tallinder then somebody other than Leopold.

Myers has shown improvement over last few games. Having a different partner would be helpful for him, but it is worth people registering he has become a lot better

#33 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,478 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

I tend to think I'd rather move forwards rather than backwards.

Bringing back players who never won anything here anyway, just seems like at waste of time, and the last thing the Sabres need is another soft, stickchecking d-man.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of Leo, but I'd rather give McNabb another look rather than bring an over-the-hill d-man who plays well under Lindy. To me, that is not a positive.

Edited by Kristian, 06 February 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#34 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

View PostKristian, on 06 February 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

Bringing back players who never won anything here anyway, just seems like at waste of time, and the last thing the Sabres need is another soft, stickchecking d-man.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of Leo, but I'd rather give McNabb another look rather than bring an over-the-hill d-man who plays well under Lindy. To me, that is not a positive.
+1

Edited by Grumpy, 06 February 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#35 Who Else?

Who Else?

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Tallinder's strength is his positioning.  This also happens to be Leopold's biggest weakness.  There may be no majic between Tallinder and Myers.  Maybe the sabres need to find a d-man who plays a similar style without breaking the bank.

#36 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostWho Else?, on 06 February 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

Tallinder's strength is his positioning.  This also happens to be Leopold's biggest weakness.  There may be no majic between Tallinder and Myers.  Maybe the sabres need to sign Rob Scuderi.

Yeah, I agree

#37 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

View PostClaude_Verret, on 06 February 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

I brought this up jokingly in a thread a few days ago,  I think the problems with Tyler Myers' game right now go beyond what any new defense partner could help him with.  I still hope the kid can turn things around, but he's really regressed.

I totally agree but I think the coaching staff had something to do with that. The year he won the Calder he really played great offensively! I think the coaches stressed more Defense out of his game where he is more of an offensive defenseman.

#38 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostSabresBillsFan, on 06 February 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

I totally agree but I think the coaching staff had something to do with that. The year he won the Calder he really played great offensively! I think the coaches stressed more Defense out of his game where he is more of an offensive defenseman.

The year he won the Calder, Tallinder was playing shut down hockey, and was handling a lot of the tough assignments.

#39 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostKristian, on 06 February 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

O.k. if you get rid of Leopold, and you bring in Mcnabb, who do you pair Myers with?

So far I have'nt seen Lindy pair someone up with Myers that had any kind of calming effect to Myers frantic game.

Myers has returned to the turn and run game when he is pressured in his end; Myers circles back which negates any transition game. The forwards are already to the red line and beyond, and Myers is still handling the puck in his end because he could not make the initial read and breakout pass.

It has been said that Tallinders game was his positioning; I would have to agree.

If Tallinder could somhow help  Myers out of his funk then, and the money is right, you have to find someone to help the kid out.

So far nothing has worked.

I am not saying Tallinder is the answer for all our defensive woes; however, if he is healthy, and can play, then if the only thing he is brought into do is to assist Myers out of his funk then why not try.

One half season can't hurt.

#40 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,577 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

Ah. People have to learn how to let go. Its always retreads that people want to bring back. Last I heard there were about 800 players in the P.A. Are there not any defencemen that could compliment Myers ?