24 replies to this topic

#1 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

I'm looking for recommendations for a new pair. Haven't played roller hockey for years, and decided to go down to our local rink and get back into it. The set I had broke within minutes so I'm looking for a new set. I don't want anything high $$ until I know I'll stick with it. What brands should I look at for a hockey/recreational skate?

#2 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,137 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

Bauer makes inlines that utilize the same hockey boot as their Vapor series. I have a pair and I dig em, but I don't play too much roller hockey because somehow I always end up hurting myself :death:

#3 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 05 February 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Bauer makes inlines that utilize the same hockey boot as their Vapor series. I have a pair and I dig em, but I don't play too much roller hockey because somehow I always end up hurting myself :death:

I see they've got seven different models. Is their base model really cheap? I know you get what you pay for, just wondering if the lower models of a brand name is better than middle of the road of a lesser brand.

Anybody else?

#4 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,137 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 05 February 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

I see they've got seven different models. Is their base model really cheap? I know you get what you pay for, just wondering if the lower models of a brand name is better than middle of the road of a lesser brand.

Anybody else?

I've been using the lower end of their Vapor (Vapor 20s) line for ice hockey for four years now without a problem. I guess it's about what you think you feel like spending and what is comfortable. I'm not sure I'd go below the lower-middle end bracket but I see no reason to shell out for anything above high-mid unless you're playing competitively.

#5 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 05 February 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

I'm looking for recommendations for a new pair. Haven't played roller hockey for years, and decided to go down to our local rink and get back into it. The set I had broke within minutes so I'm looking for a new set. I don't want anything high $$ until I know I'll stick with it. What brands should I look at for a hockey/recreational skate?

:unsure:

#6 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 05 February 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Bauer makes inlines that utilize the same hockey boot as their Vapor series. I have a pair and I dig em

This.

I used to play a lot of roller, but I cut that down when I picked up ice about 9 years ago.  I have a pair of Bauer ice skates that rock (2009 X60s), and if I ever decided on a new pair of inlines, I'd get the same boot or a cheaper version of the same boot.  The new Bauer inlines have similar features that I enjoyed on my old mission skates too (Bauer bought Mission).  Just taking a quick look, I'd probably take a long look at the XR2s, XR3s and maybe XR4s.

Much of my content with Bauer is all based on the skates fitting both my foot and the way I skate extremely well, but the durability of my skates has been great too.  YMMV.  Bauers may not fit you the best- and a great fit is the most important thing.  If you're just getting started at it again, maybe examine the next-to-cheapest in the line of skates that fit you best.  If you're not playing more than twice a week or so, you're probably not pounding the hell out of them, so as previously deduced, it's not worth the money.

#7 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,137 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 05 February 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

This.

I used to play a lot of roller, but I cut that down when I picked up ice about 9 years ago.  I have a pair of Bauer ice skates that rock (2009 X60s), and if I ever decided on a new pair of inlines, I'd get the same boot or a cheaper version of the same boot.  The new Bauer inlines have similar features that I enjoyed on my old mission skates too (Bauer bought Mission).  Just taking a quick look, I'd probably take a long look at the XR2s, XR3s and maybe XR4s.

Much of my content with Bauer is all based on the skates fitting both my foot and the way I skate extremely well, but the durability of my skates has been great too.  YMMV.  Bauers may not fit you the best- and a great fit is the most important thing.  If you're just getting started at it again, maybe examine the next-to-cheapest in the line of skates that fit you best.  If you're not playing more than twice a week or so, you're probably not pounding the hell out of them, so as previously deduced, it's not worth the money.

Yup, fit is everything. I had a pair of Eastons for a while and when I switched to the Vapor line I found myself how I had ever even managed to skate in the Eastons. My feet love the Vapor boot.

#8 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Doing a search earlier I also came across K2 and Mission. Most of these are new to me so I'm not too familiar with them. Although what you guys have said makes sense, a brand that's been making ice skates for decades would probably be better.

#9 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,137 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 05 February 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

Doing a search earlier I also came across K2 and Mission. Most of these are new to me so I'm not too familiar with them. Although what you guys have said makes sense, a brand that's been making ice skates for decades would probably be better.

Mission should be fine. I don't know anything about K2.

#10 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 05 February 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

Mission should be fine. I don't know anything about K2.

All I have to base it on is Inline skate review searches. http://k2skates.com/inline-skates

#11 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Mission has been in the inline game for many years and was responsible for a lot of innovation seen in most modern inlines; they're fine.  I seem to remember K2 making a recreational inline skate back in the day but not a hockey skate.

Edit: And your link confirms that.  If you want to play hockey, get a hockey skate.  If you want to skate along the beach in a white leotard like you're in a tampon commercial, get a recreational skate.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 05 February 2013 - 11:34 PM.

#12 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Mission makes good skates. You can get them on clearance on hockeymonkey. Beware though you better know your size because there's no exchanges or returns. Each one of these clearances are limited in sizes and list reviews.

http://www.hockeymon...eoutinline.html

#13 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

Thanks everybody for the input! I'm going to look around and see if there is anybody locally who stocks Mission and Bauer and try them out. Maybe Incredible Ice has roller hockey equipment.

#14 detoxsmurf

detoxsmurf

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

I have a pair of Mission T7 skates and im pretty happy with them.  They are (now) in the $200-$300 range, perform well, and have held up for 3 hockey seasons.    I got them from 5 hole sports in Raleigh and they baked them for me on site.

#15 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Quick question. Aside from the obvious differences of offset wheel sizes and a designated boot like an ice hockey skate, is there any signifcant difference between recreational roller blades and roller hockey skates?

#16 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 08 February 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Quick question. Aside from the obvious differences of offset wheel sizes and a designated boot like an ice hockey skate, is there any signifcant difference between recreational roller blades and roller hockey skates?
I have a pair of Koho Revolution 4000s.  12 years later they are still awesome.  I don't think they make them anymore.

I think the biggest difference between inline hockey skates and regular rollerblades is the ability to take a puck.  I've seen guys get hit in the skate with a puck and the buckles (is that what they're called, those ratchet thingys) just exploded and he couldn't use his skate.  Go with laces.

#17 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

the plastic boots ones are meant to offer your ankle no flex. Kinda like a ski boot imo. I will say if you plan to play any hockey outside on pavement then make sure your inlines have some type of plastic on the toe and the inside where the toe part ends.

#18 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 08 February 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Rec skates are designed to be cushy comfortable (like a hiking boot) and as much like speed skating ice skates as possible.  They have long, tall chassis with uniformly large wheels.  They're soft-sided to be comfy and stay cool.  Some rec skates have brakes, which, depending on how you skate, could be a hindrance.

Hockey skates are designed to take pucks and sticks and are as much like hockey ice skates as possible.  The have compact chassis designed to be fast and efficient, but not be so long- so that they feel like a hockey blade instead of a speed skate blade- this makes them capable of being more agile than longer rec chassis.  The boot uses laces to stay tighter than rec skates and is hard and durable enough to take pucks.  The stiffer boot also transfers energy better than a rec skate (this is compensated by the longer chassis on a rec skate).

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 08 February 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#19 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Thanks everybody for the input. All your posts are very insightful. Excuse my ignorance, I haven't really skated much for several years, when I bought the skates that I just had to toss there wasn't much of a selection on the market in the early 90's. I have to assume the Mission Inhalers are what replaced the Axioms? There are no T's or A's any more, just the Inhalers AC (1-6). From what I've read, Mission is owned by Bauer.

I'm getting the impression they are pretty much identical with the exception of aesthetics. There are exactly 7 models for each and it seems each upgrade is the same.

Edited by JJFIVEOH, 08 February 2013 - 10:28 PM.

#20 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

So I went ahead and got the Bauer XR2. Of course there is some pain involved in breaking in skates, I've been through it before. However, I've used these several times now and I still can't go more than 10 minutes without getting bad pains in the arches of my foot. I'm almost certain I have the correct size, I have plenty of toe space. I have wide feet, what is the best way to correcct this? Is there a method to breaking these things in faster?

All that might be irrelevant because I'm getting the impression that I overlooked the fact that since these are roller hockey skates that they are supposed to be used with pads. With shin/calf guards on it would take up the extra space at the top of the skate to provide support. I'm not using them for competition, just to go to the local outdoor rink recreationally. So I'm simply using socks which leaves an awful lot of side movement. (Does that all make sense? It sounds better in my mind). No matter how tight I make them, there is still a lot of movement. Am I better off selling these and going with recreational roller blades? Is there something I could put on my shins/calfs to take up the slack to provide more support?

#21 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 23 June 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

So I went ahead and got the Bauer XR2. Of course there is some pain involved in breaking in skates, I've been through it before. However, I've used these several times now and I still can't go more than 10 minutes without getting bad pains in the arches of my foot. I'm almost certain I have the correct size, I have plenty of toe space. I have wide feet, what is the best way to correcct this? Is there a method to breaking these things in faster?

All that might be irrelevant because I'm getting the impression that I overlooked the fact that since these are roller hockey skates that they are supposed to be used with pads. With shin/calf guards on it would take up the extra space at the top of the skate to provide support. I'm not using them for competition, just to go to the local outdoor rink recreationally. So I'm simply using socks which leaves an awful lot of side movement. (Does that all make sense? It sounds better in my mind). No matter how tight I make them, there is still a lot of movement. Am I better off selling these and going with recreational roller blades? Is there something I could put on my shins/calfs to take up the slack to provide more support?

I don't really have any answers but a little bit of input that may or may not be useful.

I have ice skates (4-5 years old now) that seem to fit perfectly and are actually very comfortable for me to move around in. But my feet still get sore after 10-15 minutes of skating in them. I'm not sure if this is a sizing issue or simply because I only play once a week for a 2 month period every year. It always seems worse the first few sessions, and less painful towards the later weeks of the season. Also, once they start hurting my feet, I force myself to power through it and usually by 10-15 min after the pain sets in, it is gone. Not an ideal solution but just from personal experience, the pain may just be more of your feet not being used to it more-so than a sizing issue. I have tried a size lower and size larger and both are very uncomfortable--either way too tight, or way too loose. So I don't think it's a sizing issue for me.

As for roller blades, I have a pair of Missions that I use for roller hockey. I don't play competitively, usually just pick-up games with some friends, so all I wear for padding is soccer-style shin pads under a pair of soccer socks. Being soccer shin pads, they are small enough that it doesn't slow you down or cause any discomfort, but still useful for some protection from slashes/blocked shots on your shins without needing to bring your whole bag of equipment, tape, etc. Tucking them into the skate can help to stabilize the boot and prevent blisters on the side of your ankles. However, that said, I do still have pain some times in my feet, even with my roller blades. As with my ice skates, I just keep moving until the pain fades.

I wear my skates as tight as possible and I experience very little skate movement. They are secure and basically just an extension of my foot. One other tip which I'm sure you've probably heard or thought of, wear two pairs of socks. Adds a little extra girth to your feet if you feel they are sliding around within the skate.

#22 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

View Postthesportsbuff, on 23 June 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

I don't really have any answers but a little bit of input that may or may not be useful.

I have ice skates (4-5 years old now) that seem to fit perfectly and are actually very comfortable for me to move around in. But my feet still get sore after 10-15 minutes of skating in them. I'm not sure if this is a sizing issue or simply because I only play once a week for a 2 month period every year. It always seems worse the first few sessions, and less painful towards the later weeks of the season. Also, once they start hurting my feet, I force myself to power through it and usually by 10-15 min after the pain sets in, it is gone. Not an ideal solution but just from personal experience, the pain may just be more of your feet not being used to it more-so than a sizing issue. I have tried a size lower and size larger and both are very uncomfortable--either way too tight, or way too loose. So I don't think it's a sizing issue for me.

As for roller blades, I have a pair of Missions that I use for roller hockey. I don't play competitively, usually just pick-up games with some friends, so all I wear for padding is soccer-style shin pads under a pair of soccer socks. Being soccer shin pads, they are small enough that it doesn't slow you down or cause any discomfort, but still useful for some protection from slashes/blocked shots on your shins without needing to bring your whole bag of equipment, tape, etc. Tucking them into the skate can help to stabilize the boot and prevent blisters on the side of your ankles. However, that said, I do still have pain some times in my feet, even with my roller blades. As with my ice skates, I just keep moving until the pain fades.

I wear my skates as tight as possible and I experience very little skate movement. They are secure and basically just an extension of my foot. One other tip which I'm sure you've probably heard or thought of, wear two pairs of socks. Adds a little extra girth to your feet if you feel they are sliding around within the skate.

Yeah, I have noticed after 10-15 minutes it does get better. I have tried two pairs of socks, the only problem it does make the pain in the arch even worse. Although, the time I did try that, I didn't give it the 10-15 minutes to see if it got better. No matter how tight I make the skate, I still have a lot of side movement. My foot itself is secure and there's no movement inside the skate. But I have a lot of movement in the upper part of the skate, the upper support around the lower calf. The area of a recreation rollerblade where you'd generally see the strap. There is a lot of movement there because there is a lot of space between the skate and my calf/shin. That's why I get the feeling that I'm using it improperly. It never dawned on me when I got them that this area of the skate probably has the extra space to accomodate for shin/calf guards. Once those are in place, it would tighten up......... like you mentioned with the soccer pads. I'm not sure I'm ready to make this an entire event just to go skating and shoot the puck around to get some exercise on my days off from the gym. I just want to lace them up and go. I really do like the maneuverability of these skates over recreational blades, but it really does defeat the purpose when they really don't feel like an extension of my foot and it feels like I can wipe out at any time. In the past I've felt way more comfortable maneuvering with traditional blades, it just wasn't as good.

#23 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:10 AM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 24 June 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

Yeah, I have noticed after 10-15 minutes it does get better. I have tried two pairs of socks, the only problem it does make the pain in the arch even worse. Although, the time I did try that, I didn't give it the 10-15 minutes to see if it got better. No matter how tight I make the skate, I still have a lot of side movement. My foot itself is secure and there's no movement inside the skate. But I have a lot of movement in the upper part of the skate, the upper support around the lower calf. The area of a recreation rollerblade where you'd generally see the strap. There is a lot of movement there because there is a lot of space between the skate and my calf/shin. That's why I get the feeling that I'm using it improperly. It never dawned on me when I got them that this area of the skate probably has the extra space to accomodate for shin/calf guards. Once those are in place, it would tighten up......... like you mentioned with the soccer pads. I'm not sure I'm ready to make this an entire event just to go skating and shoot the puck around to get some exercise on my days off from the gym. I just want to lace them up and go. I really do like the maneuverability of these skates over recreational blades, but it really does defeat the purpose when they really don't feel like an extension of my foot and it feels like I can wipe out at any time. In the past I've felt way more comfortable maneuvering with traditional blades, it just wasn't as good.

You could be on to something there, but I believe my Mission's are also "hockey skates" so I would assume they would do something similar. I do use soccer shinpads when we're playing competitive, but when I just go shoot around I've had no problem with mine even when I don't use shin pads.

A buddy of mine got a pair of Tour skates and had similar complaints, that they felt too loose up top. Must just depend on the brand.

Edited by thesportsbuff, 24 June 2013 - 01:10 AM.

#24 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,137 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

Your arch pain may be related to the instep of the skate. Bauer's have a high instep which works well for my flat feet. I'm not sure if your feet fit that type.

Your feet might also just be getting used to skates. It's been a long time since my feet weren't used to a skate boot so I can't say for sure that that's your problem though. But it might be something you have to play through. If it's REALLY painful though then I would say it's a bad boot to foot match.

#25 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 24 June 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

Your arch pain may be related to the instep of the skate. Bauer's have a high instep which works well for my flat feet. I'm not sure if your feet fit that type.

Your feet might also just be getting used to skates. It's been a long time since my feet weren't used to a skate boot so I can't say for sure that that's your problem though. But it might be something you have to play through. If it's REALLY painful though then I would say it's a bad boot to foot match.

It isn't unbearble, but it is quite uncomfortable. I can relieve some of the pain by not making the skate too tight. I don't need it very tight, my feet don't move around on the inside with them loose. Either way, whether I tie them loose or tight, there is still a lot of movement in the upper part of the skate for support which is really hindering my maneuverability. I might go out and get some taller socks and try two pairs and see if this takes up any of the extra space around the upper part of the skate and my calf. If not, I might just sell these and buy some traditional rollerblades. I don't mind the skate being loose around my foot but I like it tight up top for support and I'm getting the impression roller hockey skates are just the opposite in my case. Like you said, it might just not be a good fit for me. Tough part about it is nobody really stocks anything around here to try on. I bought these at the Incredible Ice pro shop where the Panthers practice, and Bauer was all they stocked.