18 replies to this topic

#1 krt88

krt88

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

If the Sabres have any hope of making the playoffs, Lindy Ruff has got to shake up the lineup.  That means moving players around on different lines and giving players different responsibilities.  Grigs should be given a role greater than playing third line center with average skilled players.  Put him between Poms and Vanek for a series of games.  Maybe Hodgeson can move down and help get Stafford going.  If the team doesn't find a way to balance the scoring they have no chance of moving up the standings.  Teams can
just concentrate on shutting down the other line and gamble that gamble that Poms and Vanek won't go off beat them single handed.  Two of the three wins came from single handed performances but that's not a large percentage of the games played.

The defensive units must be mixed up.  TJ Brennan needs to be in the lineup.  Myers need to simplify his game.  Right now he's gambling too much, running around, getting himself out of position.  Simple position hockey does work. And if simple hockey doesn't work, perhaps a game or two in the press box will work.  

Next, if things don't turn quickly, Darcy has to get involved.  If that means putting someone on waivers to call someone else up, do what has to be done.  Trades are nice but we need to move out the log jam of under performers.  Stafford and Ennis especially have to start performing.  Stafford is getting paid big time, its time for him to play up to that paycheck!

Lastly, I'd say Ruff has to go soon but I know that isn't happening,

#2 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

I disagree. Don't mess with Hodgson Vanek and Pominville, absolutely not! One of the hottest lines in hockey, why f*** with it?

Wanna get Grigorenko going? Fine switch other non productive lines around. Stafford, Foligno, Ennis...whoever. just don't mess with the 1 line.

Edited by ubkev, 03 February 2013 - 08:17 AM.

#3 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

View Postubkev, on 03 February 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

I disagree. Don't mess with Hodgson Vanek and Pominville, absolutely not! One of the hottest lines in hockey, why f*** with it?

Wanna get Grigorenko going? Fine switch other non productive lines around. Stafford, Foligno, Ennis...whoever. just don't mess with the 1 line.

Good post.  I agree, don't mess with the one good line.

I would play Grigorenko with Stafford and Foligno.

The Montreal game showed that the myth of the Sabres depth on defense is just that ... a myth.  And that we are really missing Regehr and now maybe Sekera.  I want to see more of Brennan and less of Myers.

#4 bobis

bobis

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 03 February 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

Good post.  I agree, don't mess with the one good line.

I would play Grigorenko with Stafford and Foligno.

The Montreal game showed that the myth of the Sabres depth on defense is just that ... a myth.  And that we are really missing Regehr and now maybe Sekera.  I want to see more of Brennan and less of Myers.

Yes, Regehr is being really missed on the back end. Amazing how that phrase, you don't know what you got til it is gone rings out. I've heard a lot of people here ready to give up on him, trade him whatever. He brings a hard nosed steady game that is sorely missed right now.

#5 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

I'm all for a shake up, but every time I see ruff juggle lines, the combinations look terrible. Grigs with Scott and (insert player here) gerbe with hecht, etc... There isn't any rhyme or reason behind the lines it appears.

But I do agree, you can't touch that first line at all even though it is tempting.

#6 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,063 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

View Postubkev, on 03 February 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

We're not seeing production from the Ennis line like we did last year.  I'm fine with switching him and Grigs.  I also question whether Foligno is talented/experienced enough to be playing on the second line.  We all love his effort, as we should, but I'm not sure he's gifted offensively.  And then yesterday, there was an infuriating play where he was standing right next to the Montreal net to receive a perfect pass from Leopold, but his stick wasn't on the ice to jam the puck in the net.  That's a mistake that a twelve year old makes!

#7 LTS

LTS

Who's next?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

View PostEleven, on 03 February 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

We're not seeing production from the Ennis line like we did last year.  I'm fine with switching him and Grigs.  I also question whether Foligno is talented/experienced enough to be playing on the second line.  We all love his effort, as we should, but I'm not sure he's gifted offensively.  And then yesterday, there was an infuriating play where he was standing right next to the Montreal net to receive a perfect pass from Leopold, but his stick wasn't on the ice to jam the puck in the net.  That's a mistake that a twelve year old makes!

And a lot of NHL'ers.  I wouldn't let one incident really get you down on a guy.  The entire team really sucked hard yesterday.

Brennan should be in for Leopold at this point.  Assuming Sekera is out we are down to only 6 D and so one of the not-so-dynamic duo have to be left in to play.  I would still take Myers because he at least has reach and size.  Leopold has proven nothing to me this season other than he is very good at being out of position.  Myers needs to stop thinking offensively.  His feet are slow this year.  He is trying to pinch at the point and teams are continually playing the puck around him leading to an odd man rush.  He is unable to get there sooner and he can't,  I'd rather let the opposition out of the zone and take them out coming into the defensive zone than watch the other team jump around him and get down on a 2 on 1.  I think the extra weight they are trying to put on his frame is killing him right now.

You cannot change the top line.  The chemistry there is what gives the Sabres a chance to win every night.  Juggle 2-4 but not the top line.  Move Grigorenko with Foligno and Stafford, I could get behind that.  Since Grigorenko is not impressing me with his play along the boards it would be better to have two players who can dig the puck free.  I see Stafford carrying the puck a lot and I don't think that's his strength.  He's not bad at it but I think if Grigorenko could get the puck in a little space he'll be able to find Stafford to bury some shots.

However, juggling the lines will do very little if the team comes out and lays an egg like they did in Montreal.  You can tell when those games are coming because the Sabres are continually a half-step out of position and always a little late to the play.  It was like that against Carolina as well.  They forget what they should be doing and end up out of position.

#8 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Ville Leino

#9 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,602 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

View Postthesportsbuff, on 03 February 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

Ville Leino
Nathan Gerbe

Are we playing name the Sabres that really suck?

#10 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

View Postinkman, on 03 February 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

Nathan Gerbe

Drew Stafford ... Jordan Leopold ... Tyler Myers ... ... ...

#11 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

View Postinkman, on 03 February 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

Nathan Gerbe

Lol, basically. But no, as others have brought up, I think the team could use a player like Leino right now -- certainly more than they need a Gerbe, Matt Ellis, or Cody McCormick. Haven't heard much about his injury, but right now his return can't come soon enough.

#12 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

View Postthesportsbuff, on 03 February 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

Lol, basically. But no, as others have brought up, I think the team could use a player like Leino right now -- certainly more than they need a Gerbe, Matt Ellis, or Cody McCormick. Haven't heard much about his injury, but right now his return can't come soon enough.

Leino tried to skate this AM, but could not make a go of it.

#13 elcrusho

elcrusho

Brent Hughes Fanclub President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Myers needs to sit for a game....

#14 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

View Postelcrusho, on 03 February 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

Myers needs to sit for a game....

Everyone will agree with you that he needs to sit but now with injuries to Sekera and Regher he will still be in the lineup unless they call someone up from Rochester. Which ain't happening. As much as it pains me to say this I hope they lose and lose alot. It's time for change this ###### is getting old. One of the highest payrolls in the league and this team is garbage.

#15 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,266 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

View Postthesportsbuff, on 03 February 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

The problem is that the Sabres have too many players in the lineup like Leino right now. What they need are players that can produce. Leino hasn't shown he is better than Gerbe, Ellis or McCormick  during his time here in Buffalo.

If there is going to be a shakeup, it has to include unfamiliar names. Just rearranging the same guys isn't going to get things done. The Sabres need to look to Rochester or outside the organization to bring in players to rattle this locker-room and get things going.

The only way Leino has a positive effect on this roster is if the Sabres waive him as soon as he is healthy.

#16 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Battista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

This is a one-line team right now.  We can't win consistently that way.  

But.... Lindy better not tinker with the #1 line right now - they are red hot.  Need to find a way to improve the other lines without changing/ruining the #1

#17 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

How about changing it up in net? Miller has let in 4 goals a game the last 4 games and stands dead last (30th) in GAA at 3.11. He looks spectacular one minute and like a 90 year old the next.

#18 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

View Post716, on 04 February 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

How about changing it up in net? Miller has let in 4 goals a game the last 4 games and stands dead last (30th) in GAA at 3.11. He looks spectacular one minute and like a 90 year old the next.

Not being an a$$ and I like the idea, but whom would you suggest replaces Miller?

Seriously, are you suggesting a trade to bring in another NHL goalie, or someone from Rochester?

#19 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

No, give Enroth another chance. He's a good goalie but confidence is a problem on this team right now. Him included.