491 replies to this topic

#1 NowDoYouBelieve

NowDoYouBelieve

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

The Habs have bounced back to a 4-2-0 start after shaking off the lockout ennui with an opening day home loss to the Leafs.

Defenseman Andrei Markov is off to a hot start, with 8 points in his last 5 games, including 4 goals.  Carey Price is holding the fort well, surrendering fewer than 2.00 goals per 60 minutes to complement a 4-1-0 record.

Will Vanek continue his scorching start?  More importantly, could the Sabres survive if his line has an off day?

#2 ROC Sabres

ROC Sabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

Beat me to it.  Hoping for a continued effort from the other night to keep them rolling.

#3 NowDoYouBelieve

NowDoYouBelieve

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

View PostROC Sabres, on 02 February 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

Beat me to it.  Hoping for a continued effort from the other night to keep them rolling.

I can't ever remember waking up and seeing that the thread hadn't been started.  Had to take the opportunity!

#4 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostNowDoYouBelieve, on 02 February 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

The Habs have bounced back to a 4-2-0 start after shaking off the lockout ennui with an opening day home loss to the Leafs.

Defenseman Andrei Markov is off to a hot start, with 8 points in his last 5 games, including 4 goals.  Carey Price is holding the fort well, surrendering fewer than 2.00 goals per 60 minutes to complement a 4-1-0 record.

Will Vanek continue his scorching start?  More importantly, could the Sabres survive if his line has an off day?
Hopefully the Bruins game is a start of a hot streak for Tyler Ennis.

Weber, Sekera and Ehrhoff carried the day on the blue line for the Sabres, they need bounce back games from Myers, Leopold and Sulzer to give the Sabres a more consistent game from the blue line.  

Vanek and Pominville are putting up some MVP type numbers early in the season. The Sabres scored 7 goals against the Bruins and only 1 did not involve Vanek or Pominville. The story will be secondary scoring until someone else starts to show up on the scoreboard with some consistency.

#5 Neo

Neo

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostNowDoYouBelieve, on 02 February 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

I can't ever remember waking up and seeing that the thread hadn't been started.  Had to take the opportunity!

I'll be walking the University of Florida campus for Parents' Day.  Go Gators.   I'll watch this game tomorrow morning.  That's not my reason for posting, however.

I am feeling the compressed season sensation with shorter intervals between games.  I wake up, and there's another GDT.   I love it, but I don't have injuries or fatigue.   It will be interesting to watch teams for the next few months.

#6 Meathead

Meathead

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

do they dress scott?

#7 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

View PostNeo, on 02 February 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

I'll be walking the University of Florida campus for Parents' Day. Go Gators.   I'll watch this game tomorrow morning.  That's not my reason for posting, however.
Go Dawgs... :flirt:

After the 2 games he has played this year and considering how solid and dependable he has been, I see no reason Mike Weber should ever be taken out of the lineup.  We all want toughness and he is our toughest defender.  The kid works hard every game and seems to have worked hard all summer with his buddy Ott to make sure he is doing the little things.  He said it himself that he plays a simple game and you know what? If more of our defenders played a bit more of simpler game we would be better off.  Mike Weber is awesome.

That being said, I think this team should hang a full size poster of Lucic runnin miller in their locker room.  Before every game they should look at it and remember that although they beat the Bruins once they are 1 play away from being a soft team again.  They haven't proved anything, yet.  

They need to dominate a physically inferior Habs team and keep bringing the intensity which I believe they have.  Ott, Foligno, Weber, Scott, hell even Stafford has been physical and that forces players to cough up pucks and to think and all sorts of issues.  This team needs to play with grit.  Vanek and Pominville are on a entire different level... it has been years since I have scene a line that makes me excited whenever it touches the ice.  

they haven't won or proven anything... yet.

Edited by LGR4GM, 02 February 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#8 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

View PostMeathead, on 02 February 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

do they dress scott?

The Habs have Brandon Prust, so Scott definitely dresses today.

#9 Assquatch

Assquatch

Did someone order a new core?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

For those of you like me that get a gorgeous signal from a rooftop antenna and enjoy their game presentation, today's game is also on CBC.

#10 OverPowerYou

OverPowerYou

And Ottawa Must BE Destroyed...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'll be working, so how can I listen to the game on my iPhone? I have the wgr550 app, is there some kind of rule that won't let them stream the games? If so, what's another way i can listen to it

#11 Braedon

Braedon

You cannot leave the magic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostNeo, on 02 February 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

I'll be walking the University of Florida campus for Parents' Day.  Go Gators.   I'll watch this game tomorrow morning.  That's not my reason for posting, however.

What's your affiliation with UF?  Go Gators!!!

#12 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostOverPowerYou, on 02 February 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

I'll be working, so how can I listen to the game on my iPhone? I have the wgr550 app, is there some kind of rule that won't let them stream the games? If so, what's another way i can listen to it
if you have the radio app you should have no problems. I routinely stream the games through the wgr 550 app on my droid

View PostBraedon, on 02 February 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

What's your affiliation with UF?  Go Gators!!!
CoughGoDawgsCough

:P

Edited by LGR4GM, 02 February 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#13 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostOverPowerYou, on 02 February 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

The WGR app should work fine.  As far as I know, the NHL doesn't have any rules against letting teams broadcast their radio feeds over the internet for free.  (MLB and NFL both do.  Not sure about the NBA.)

#14 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

I just wanted to say quickly that I don't think the important part of the Bruins game was the Scott fight, although that did matter, I think it was being down 2 goals and coming back to tie it and then being down again early in the 3rd and coming back to win it.  We came back twice against a team that doesn't give up leads.

That being said we have to build on the Boston game and dominate Montreal.

Scroll down below the crap about expansion and you will see a big picture of Scott beating Thornton.  Read that part, it is all about how tougher does not mean better and I think there is a point to that but again thats what makes this game important...
http://sports.yahoo....dGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Edited by LGR4GM, 02 February 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#15 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,046 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

I think I was actually more impressed with how Vanek moved his feet on Thursday, than with his hands.  We've seen him make those passes and shots before (maybe not so many in one game), but it seems like he is at his best when he moves his feet.

More of that, please.

#16 Braedon

Braedon

You cannot leave the magic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 02 February 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

CoughGoDawgsCough

:P

No need to be implicit, you shouldnt be ashamed.  I was at Capital One this year, UGA looked good.  We'll see how you do this year without Jarvis, Murray, Ogletree and Williams.

Habs may have Pancioretty and Subban back.  Interested to see if our pairings change after Thursday.

#17 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,006 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostMeathead, on 02 February 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

do they dress scott?

Montreal has no designated fighter. If ever there was a game to sit Scott, this would be it. But given the injury situation I'm not sure they have a healthy replacement for him.

They have Brandon Prust but he's a 200lb-er.  We have the tools to deal with him without Scott in the lineup.

#18 thanes16

thanes16

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 02 February 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

Go Dawgs... :flirt:

Go MSU Bulldogs!

And I would love it if Grigs lit the lamp today. Go Sabres!

#19 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Statement game today.

Has the team turned a corner, and will they build on the strong effort against Boston, or will it be the Sabres of old who usually follow up a strong game with a lacklustre loss?

Time will tell.

#20 ROC Sabres

ROC Sabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

View PostNowDoYouBelieve, on 02 February 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

I was thinking the same thing.

#21 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Key game against a team we're chasing. we are now exactly halfway through a season (41 games to go) and on the outside looking in. Get 4 points this weekend and we're in 4th with a good read on the division lead.

#22 NowDoYouBelieve

NowDoYouBelieve

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 02 February 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

Key game against a team we're chasing. we are now exactly halfway through a season (41 games to go) and on the outside looking in. Get 4 points this weekend and we're in 4th with a good read on the division lead.

Man, the first half of the season was crazy.  Remember Grigorenko's 4 goal night on opening day?  And when Hecht ran off to live with the polar bears on the trip to Edmonton?

#23 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Being in Atlantic Canada (one hour ahead of Eastern time) I love these afternoon games ... 3:00 PM start here, which means it would be over by 6:00 PM ... the start of *family time*.

I am somewhat afraid of a let down after the great effort against the Bruins.  I hope the strong effort continues.

I predict a 4 - 1 win for the good guys.  Since the game is in Quebec, maybe some of Grigorenko's family will be in attendance.  If so, I expect a strong game from him ... 2 Gs and an A.

Must.  Win.  Game.

#24 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 02 February 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Being in Atlantic Canada (one hour ahead of Eastern time) I love these afternoon games ... 3:00 PM start here, which means it would be over by 6:00 PM ... the start of *family time*.

I am somewhat afraid of a let down after the great effort against the Bruins.  I hope the strong effort continues.

I predict a 4 - 1 win for the good guys.  Since the game is in Quebec, maybe some of Grigorenko's family will be in attendance.  If so, I expect a strong game from him ... 2 Gs and an A.

Must.  Win.  Game.
You think you're better than us just because you live in the future?

#25 Derrico

Derrico

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Big game today.  I feel like that Bruins game may have just turned this season around.  They need to pick up a few wins here to build off that game.  Do we ride Miller both today and tomorrow?

View PostRobviously, on 02 February 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

:w00t:

#26 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostDerrico, on 02 February 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

Big game today.  I feel like that Bruins game may have just turned this season around.  They need to pick up a few wins here to build off that game.  Do we ride Miller both today and tomorrow?

NO. Enroth must start tomorrow. Bad precedent. We don't have 2 days off in a row until valentines day.

#27 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Nope and time is just a relative thing used to measure ... blah, blah, blah ...

View PostDerrico, on 02 February 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

Saddle up ... :flirt: .

I say Miller plays both games this weekend.

#28 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Future? Game starts at 3 for him, clearly he's a little behind. We'll be through the first intermission by then!

#29 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

This is more important of a game than many realize. The sabres better realize that as well. We are a better team on paper than the habs. We are tougher. And we should have confidence as well.

Is this the lay down team of years past or has a changing of the wind struck buffalo?

I think we get a shootout tonight. I also predict that there will be at least two icing calls, 3 missed penalties, 5 offsides and a fan thrown out for drunken debauchery

#30 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

View Postweave, on 02 February 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

Montreal has no designated fighter. If ever there was a game to sit Scott, this would be it. But given the injury situation I'm not sure they have a healthy replacement for him.

They have Brandon Prust but he's a 200lb-er.  We have the tools to deal with him without Scott in the lineup.

But we are talking about Lindy  - he won't change the lineup.

#31 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,289 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

This building has been pretty kind to the Sabres. They usually step up their game in La Belle Province. Sabres are 8-2 in last 10 in Montreal.

Isn't someone going to bring up the hooey about the refs favoring Montreal in that building?

#32 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Story of the GDT from here on in will be secondary scoring apparently. Until the other lines start chipping it in I'll not feel too confident going into the next game. Balance throughout our lines would be nice but maybe too much to ask for given the lineup. As always GO SABRES!

#33 Rox11

Rox11

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

My first game with MSG and RJ, really looking forward to it. I think Buffalo has a solid 3-1 win today (and even a goal by Stafford) and a yawner tomorrow.

#34 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 02 February 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Future? Game starts at 3 for him, clearly he's a little behind. We'll be through the first intermission by then!

Ok.

I remember reading that our friend Robviously is in Chicago.  So, you can't argue against the fact that he IS in the future.  Right?

So, Roby, since you are in the future, at least by LPF's reasoning, which Sabres team will show up?

#35 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 02 February 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

Ok.

I remember reading that our friend Robviously is in Chicago.  So, you can't argue against the fact that he IS in the future.  Right?

So, Roby, since you are in the future, at least by LPF's reasoning, which Sabres team will show up?

No way, if you travel from detroit to chicago, you land about 5 minutes before you took off.Clearly you have traveled back in time to get there.

#36 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,289 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 02 February 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

No way, if you travel from detroit to chicago, you land about 5 minutes before you took off.Clearly you have traveled back in time to get there.

Your sig is one of the funniest things I've ever read. It's better if it was unintentionally funny, but, I don't know, bio is pretty sly.

#37 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 02 February 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

Your sig is one of the funniest things I've ever read. It's better if it was unintentionally funny, but, I don't know, bio is pretty sly.

Like a *fox* ...

:flirt:  ... :wub:

And why is a lady *foxy*, when a female fox is a vixen?

#38 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,006 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

View Postnobody, on 02 February 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

But we are talking about Lindy  - he won't change the lineup.

View Postweave, on 02 February 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

They have Brandon Prust but he's a 200lb-er. We have the tools to deal with him without Scott in the lineup.

Does Lindy even have a healthy option right now?

#39 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,748 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

View Postweave, on 02 February 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Does Lindy even have a healthy option right now?

Brennan?

#40 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,791 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

View PostNowDoYouBelieve, on 02 February 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Man, the first half of the season was crazy.  Remember Grigorenko's 4 goal night on opening day?  And when Hecht ran off to live with the polar bears on the trip to Edmonton?

Very nice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game discussion thread, Canadiens