#1 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

My first GDT of this season.

Sabres coming off a heart breaker at home, losing the last 4 and only getting one point in that stretch.

Our prized rookie gets his first goal,  hoping this continues as a regular trend.

Boston is atop the Eastern conference and is playing tough, many are pessimistic about a victory here, but it's make or break time. We apparently built a team to compete with Boston, let's see what our boys can do

Go Sabres!!!

#2 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

Bruins will play it as if it's another night.. "just one game".
Sabres will play it as if it's the playoffs, and our season on the line. Something to prove.

We'll get close to winning but eventually lose, and everyone will wonder where has this team and effort been all season.

#3 neverenough

neverenough

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

I'm fired up for this one. I've finally came up with the conclusion that drew stafford wont score until game 47.  Go Sabres!

#4 Meathead

Meathead

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

sabres will win this one 2-1

#5 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

Found these gems from some Bruins fans:

"go ahead Buff, step up to the plate and get pummeled, no way are looch, thorny, mcQ and even Horty not going to be ready for it- and while you guys are worrying about 'defending your honor' the B's will be lighting the lamp"

"Buffalo and their fans have always been jealous of Boston. Down in Carolina, the Canes fans hate the Sabres and their fans."

#6 Meathead

Meathead

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

its not even going to be an overly physical game. with ott and scott in the lineup the bruins know they cant intimidate the sabres anymore and wont even try. sabres will be ultra focused and make very few mistakes to eek out the win

#7 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

View PostAndrew Amerk, on 31 January 2013 - 03:12 AM, said:

Found these gems from some Bruins fans:

"go ahead Buff, step up to the plate and get pummeled, no way are looch, thorny, mcQ and even Horty not going to be ready for it- and while you guys are worrying about 'defending your honor' the B's will be lighting the lamp"

"Buffalo and their fans have always been jealous of Boston. Down in Carolina, the Canes fans hate the Sabres and their fans."

I pretty much agree with all of this except for being jealous of Boston.
This one could get ugly early.

#8 kishoph

kishoph

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostMeathead, on 31 January 2013 - 03:25 AM, said:

its not even going to be an overly physical game. with ott and scott in the lineup the bruins know they cant intimidate the sabres anymore and wont even try. sabres will be ultra focused and make very few mistakes to eek out the win

I worry about someone getting hurt in this game, I don't know if Scott being in the line-up stops many of the Sabres from being intimidated and the Bruins certainly are not going to be intimidated by the Sabres. Coming out of this game without an injury would be a plus. The standards are starting to get pretty low.

Edited by kishoph, 31 January 2013 - 06:29 AM.

#9 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 31 January 2013 - 01:35 AM, said:

Bruins will play it as if it's another night.. "just one game".
Sabres will play it as if it's the playoffs, and our season on the line. Something to prove.

We'll get close to winning but eventually lose, and everyone will wonder where has this team and effort been all season.

IF.... And that's a mighty big if... They should manage a win, I wouldn't be surprised if this could turn the season around just like when Lucic drilled Miller, only in the opposite direction.

This is a statement game, and I don't mean for them to run around hitting everything in sight, but if they prove to themselves they can hang around with Boston, I can't help but feel a lot of these guys will get a confidence boost.

But likely they'll just get manhandled, and whooped 5-1.

#10 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

My heart says that the Sabres will reach down deep and pull out a close win...but my head says the B' s  will win easily and will rub it in for the rest of the season.  I love visiting Boston, and I like the Red Sox and Celtics...but I hate the Bruins and the Pats.  :angry:

#11 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,242 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

View PostKristian, on 31 January 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

IF.... And that's a mighty big if... They should manage a win, I wouldn't be surprised if this could turn the season around just like when Lucic drilled Miller, only in the opposite direction.

This is a statement game, and I don't mean for them to run around hitting everything in sight, but if they prove to themselves they can hang around with Boston, I can't help but feel a lot of these guys will get a confidence boost.

But likely they'll just get manhandled, and whooped 5-1.
I fully expect Miller to get run tonight. The Bruins have no respect for the Sabres and they no reason to have any.

#12 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

time to bend over, grab the ankles and take it. was checking the Boston Herald about today's game. They don't seem like they're shaking in their boots about John Scott and his 1:58 of ice time...I think the Sabres are behind the times....they need players who can play AND fight.  Not one or the the other. That's the new NHL.

http://bostonherald....es_look_revenge

Edited by 716, 31 January 2013 - 08:07 AM.

#13 BuffalOhio

BuffalOhio

Shredder's favorite ref!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

"OK boys, show us what you got!"

I'm expecting a Boston Massacre the way the Sabres are playing.  It doesn't look good, but I remain hopeful and will of course watch.

#14 Derrico

Derrico

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

The Sabres are known to surprise in games where many people count them out and faulter when expected to win. I'm going 6-3 for the good guys.

#15 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

I will be taking the role of hope in this production of Pandora's box and say we beat the bruins 4-1

#16 SMIRNOFF

SMIRNOFF

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostDeLuca67, on 31 January 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

I fully expect Miller to get run tonight. The Bruins have no respect for the Sabres and they no reason to have any.

Can we run Rask?  If our season is supposedly shot, let's try to ruin theirs.

Sorry.  I am tired of being run by these goons.  Let's give a little back.

F the Bruins!

#17 Braedon

Braedon

You cannot leave the magic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

I don't know if he'll get run, but I completely agree on the respect.  Not going to change in one night either.  That's why I'm hoping they just stay physical and out hustle.  Winning the face off battle would help too...

#18 sabres26

sabres26

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

Who replaces kaleta?

#19 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

View Postsabres26, on 31 January 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

Who replaces kaleta?

Gerbe I would guess.

#20 Falstaff

Falstaff

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

It won't be Miller, it'll be Grigorenko.

#21 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostFalstaff, on 31 January 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

If they do, I have no doubt that Foligno will respond immediately.

#22 Rox11

Rox11

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

Someone will go to check Marchand and the little weasel will curl up and blow someone's knees out. Yeah .. I feel it could get ugly.

#23 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,953 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

View PostMeathead, on 31 January 2013 - 03:25 AM, said:

I don't know about this. Boston has had no trouble roughing it up with Pitt, Philly, and the Rags. I doubt that team has any concerns over our lineup additions. Boston will do what it always does and the guys that always play tough for them will step up if we respond.

Best case scenario will be gaining respect. And that won't come easy. It will take Ott, Scott, Foligno AND a couple others stepping out of character. Gut check.

#24 ROC Sabres

ROC Sabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

View Postweave, on 31 January 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

I don't know about this. Boston has had no trouble roughing it up with Pitt, Philly, and the Rags. I doubt that team has any concerns over our lineup additions. Boston will do what it always does and the guys that always play tough for them will step up if we respond.

Best case scenario will be gaining respect. And that won't come easy. It will take Ott, Scott, Foligno AND a couple others stepping out of character. Gut check.
I want to see them out on a line together.  We will see things get chippy real fast if they were.

Edited by ROC Sabres, 31 January 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#25 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostFalstaff, on 31 January 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

That's pretty much what I was thinking.  He better keep his head on a swivel.

Seriously, if we just lose the game without our guys getting concussed or hurt, that'll feel like an OK outcome at this point.

#26 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,585 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

when I get back there will be a serious talk about the loser point but for now I expect a team in a tailspin to continue that spin against the Bruins who play better, harder and faster and are coached better IMPO.  All I want is overall team toughness to stay the same and to see the young guys improve in one area or another.

#27 billsrcursed

billsrcursed

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

View PostRobviously, on 31 January 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

That's pretty much what I was thinking.  He better keep his head on a swivel.

Seriously, if we just lose the game without our guys getting concussed or hurt, that'll feel like an OK outcome at this point.

God that's sad, but ya.

#28 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,719 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

I don't hate boston.

I hate Rat face and his BS.

I hate Tim Thomas and His Political Views

I don't hate Lucic. I hate the bull ###### relationship between the league and gregory campbell's team.

Win this. Just win the game.

#29 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,585 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

if another blatant illegal hit occurs, I am an advocate of a full bench clear.  Yup auto 10 game suspensions but you know what the league wont protect the Sabres so the Sabres need to protect themselves.  Win or Lose I want to see us hit the ice with hate in our eyes and fire in our hearts.

#30 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,838 posts

View Postweave, on 31 January 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

Agreed.  Did anyone catch the Bruins fan who called in to GR at about 850 this morning?  He was dead on:  Boston's "tough guys" aren't designated role players.  Their "tough guys" are also offensive contributors.  Their roster is built to hurt and score at the same time.

#31 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Here are the facts:

Boston:
Has not lost in regulation
Playing at home
Fully healthy and arguably the best team in the league right now
Team toughness is still WAYYYYYY above and beyond what Sabres have (minus the 2 minutes Scott will get)
Goaltending playing equal to Miller

Buffalo:
4 game losing streak
Defense is playing atrocious
Miller still letting in the awful 3rd period goals

Bottom line is that Buffalo will try and play like the season is on the line and that might not even be enough against a Boston team that sees Buffalo as a mosquito buzzing in its' ear. Can Buffalo pull off one victory if everything goes their way? Yes, but if these 2 teams ever played in a 7 game series this year, it would be embarassing. THAT is what management has to fix.....

#32 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

I don't think Boston is intimidated at all by Buffalo.  I bet Scott has a go with Thornton, and maybe Ott and Campbell have a rematch.  They have a bit of a history.  Beyond that, I wouldn't expect much unless Weber and Foligno decide to get involved, and that'd be a reach.

#33 sabres26

sabres26

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 31 January 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

Gerbe I would guess.
If gerbe is the replacement for kaleta that will be a joke. I know gerbe has heart, but tonight we dont need heart in Boston we need team toughness. I say call up Tarnasky for a game

#34 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostEleven, on 31 January 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

Agreed.  Did anyone catch the Bruins fan who called in to GR at about 850 this morning?  He was dead on:  Boston's "tough guys" aren't designated role players.  Their "tough guys" are also offensive contributors.  Their roster is built to hurt and score at the same time.
I was listening online and caught that.  He was half troll and half completely accurate hockey analyst.  It was incredible.

"Don't prahd da beah!"

#35 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,719 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Weber's Instigator from tuesday is a problem. He'll be cautious.

#36 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,414 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

If the Sabres show a little desperation tonight I'll be satisfied.

#37 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,756 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

The Sabres are looking at a 2-5 record by 9:30 pm tonight unless they really step up their game.

I suppose the Bruins might play their backup goalie, who might lay an egg (like Enroth does regularly now).

Otherwise it's pretty hard to be optimistic about this one.

#38 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

Not very confident in the teams chances right now. These are two teams heading in opposite directions. As another poster said I'm just hoping for no major injuries and possibly escaping Boston with a point. This morning John Scott probably feels alone on an island because aside from Ott this team is really no different in toughness than last season. Its really quite funny how the coaches and management basically announced to the whole league how this team is tougher this year and won't be pushed around essentially throwing these guys under the bus. 90-95 % 0f these guys will have to play out of character to live up to managements declaration of toughness and grit while the Bruins will just be playing their style.

#39 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

View Postnfreeman, on 31 January 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

I suppose the Bruins might play their backup goalie, who might lay an egg (like Enroth does regularly now).

Kind of like Dan Ellis did the other night?  IIRC the Sabres have had trouble the past few years beating backups.  I don't hold out much hope for this one regardless of who's between the pipes for Boston.

#40 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Actually Ville Leino

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Wow, most of you are already throwing in the towel, huh?  This is the NHL.  I don't care if the Bruins look like world beaters and the Sabres are in a rut.  Any game is winnable, especially this one.

I expect the Sabres to win.

View Postbunomatic, on 31 January 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

Not very confident in the teams chances right now. These are two teams heading in opposite directions. As another poster said I'm just hoping for no major injuries and possibly escaping Boston with a point. This morning John Scott probably feels alone on an island because aside from Ott this team is really no different in toughness than last season. Its really quite funny how the coaches and management basically announced to the whole league how this team is tougher this year and won't be pushed around essentially throwing these guys under the bus. 90-95 % 0f these guys will have to play out of character to live up to managements declaration of toughness and grit while the Bruins will just be playing their style.
Marcus. Foligno.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game discussion thread, Bruins