Jump to content


If the Bruins are the measuring stick for the Sabres....


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#1 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

How does our team stack up?

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/roster.htm


To my eyes, our boys have a good way to go to challenge the Bruins based on the way the teams are currently put together.

Moving forward, who has faith in the dynamic duo of Darcy and Lindy to get the team to a stage where they surpass Boston?

First Head to Head comparison comes on 1/31/13. :unsure:

#2 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Question 1 = Not very well.

Question 2 = Not me.

#3 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,827 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

1.  Again, not very well.

2.  Ball is in Darcy's court to get the right players in here.

#4 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 30 January 2013 - 04:15 PM, said:

Question 1 = Not very well.

Question 2 = Not me.

Wish I could argue with your answer to either question, but I unfortunately can't.  Bruins have the Sabres beat in Size, Skill, Toughness, Forwards, and Defensemen.  Only advantage might be in goal and that's just a might.

Much work to do to meet Mr. Pegs Mantra "As of this moment.....

#5 Moulson26

Moulson26

    Blood and Guts

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostEleven, on 30 January 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

1.  Again, not very well.

2.  Ball is in Darcy's court to get the right players in here.

At this point, the ball should be in Terry's court, who should realize Darcy has failed to build a roster that can compete. Now, time to make a move, bring in a guy who can build a roster that can compete.

#6 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostVanek-Man, on 30 January 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

At this point, the ball should be in Terry's court, who should realize Darcy has failed to build a roster that can compete. Now, time to make a move, bring in a guy who can build a roster that can compete.

Still shocked that Darcy received a preseason contract extension.

#7 bills_fan_in_raleigh

bills_fan_in_raleigh

    Live in Raleigh but Bleed Buffalo Sports an I hate the canes!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 30 January 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

Still shocked that Darcy received a preseason contract extension.
just like bills when they extended fits tied hands and keep us from getting better.   Until Lindy is gone dont matter what players are brought in'

#8 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,722 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

I'd rather measure up to Chicago.

#9 sabres26

sabres26

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

They will measure up fine if the sabres call up tarnasky to play tomorrow in Boston. Who are they going to put in frigen gerbe against the bruins. If Tarnasky isnt called up its a joke. Even with kaleta in the lineup in boston that wouldnt help us stack up that well.

#10 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 30 January 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

I'd rather measure up to Chicago.

Couldn't go wrong there either. With the Blackhawks' elite offensive talent in Toews, Hossa, and Kane along with Keith on the back end it's pretty close.   I like the Bruins by just a hair for better overall balance, more size, grit, and better goaltending.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 30 January 2013 - 04:50 PM.


#11 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,827 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostVanek-Man, on 30 January 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

At this point, the ball should be in Terry's court, who should realize Darcy has failed to build a roster that can compete. Now, time to make a move, bring in a guy who can build a roster that can compete.

Fine.

#12 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

    #39 - Greatest of All-Time.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,239 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Bruins? How about beating Carolina and Toronto on a consistent basis first?

#13 notwoz

notwoz

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I would love to see the Sabres stack up favorably to the Bruins. That would suggest the team is good and -- more importantly -- built for the playoffs.

But to answer your question:
The Sabres don't come close to the Bruins;
Darcy doesn't have a clue what it takes to build a championship team and Lindy don't have a clue what it takes to develop his talent into a championship team. Consequently, I have no faith in Terry's dynamic duo.

#14 Grumpy

Grumpy

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostDeLuca67, on 30 January 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

Bruins? How about beating Carolina and Toronto on a consistent basis first?

Yep. Gotta walk before you can run!

To answer your questions, not at all and none.

Edited by Grumpy, 30 January 2013 - 07:40 PM.


#15 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

I think Boston is a slower team then Carolina and toronto so I think we stack up decently against them.

#16 BarDown

BarDown

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

View Postdrnkirishone, on 30 January 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

I think Boston is a slower team then Carolina and toronto so I think we stack up decently against them.
NICE!  I'm with you!

#17 SwampD

SwampD

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,987 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

View Postdrnkirishone, on 30 January 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

I think Boston is a slower team then Carolina and toronto so I think we stack up decently against them.
I agree with this.  Caroline reminds me of 05 Sabres, built for the regular season.  Gonna be interesting tomorrow.

#18 bunomatic

bunomatic

    bunomatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Just a hunch but I get the feeling the Bruins will expose this club for what it is. A weak willed, underachieving, poorly coached, still soft squad that is years away from truly competing in this league. It pains me to say it but we are 2 wins,4 losses into this season and we could very well be 0-6 with a couple non calls or unlucky bounces. You could also say we could be 6-0 but no. Just no. We all saw the same games so far and there's just too much that needs to be done for this team to truly compete in this league. Tomorrow night there is an opportunity for this team to make a statement against the Bruins and to the league that we won't be pushed around and we are good enough to win in this league. There is also the chance that this team turtles and plays like they wish the game would end. After watching our first 6 games I am very frightened that this game could have the same effect as the lucic incident of a year ago. Prove me wrong boys. For the love of God prove me wrong.

#19 inkman

inkman

    Fledgling Member of TSC

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

View Postsabres26, on 30 January 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

They will measure up fine if the sabres call up tarnasky to play tomorrow in Boston. Who are they going to put in frigen gerbe against the bruins. If Tarnasky isnt called up its a joke. Even with kaleta in the lineup in boston that wouldnt help us stack up that well.
I'd bet in 7 D with McCormick or Leino as an outside shot. Just don't see them calling anyone up right now.

#20 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

View PostSwampD, on 30 January 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

I agree with this.  Caroline reminds me of 05 Sabres, built for the regular season.  Gonna be interesting tomorrow.
Carolina is built for the playoffs I think. if there defense just plays simple and moves the puck I think they got a shot to go deep. Dare I say Carolina is gonna be the new blueprint for team building? skill forwards that all have speed and/or size lead by some big strong guys with speed that are equally happy to take the puck from you as rip your head off for daring to touch their puck. My prediction if Carolina grabs a veteran D like say leopold or anyother one that might be available that can move the puck they are the darkhorse for the cup.

#21 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

From Ryan Kennedy of the Hockey News: Lucic shaping the whole of the Northeast

http://www.thehockey...-Northeast.html

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 07 February 2013 - 07:44 AM.


#22 Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings

    Not a Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 07 February 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

From Ryan Kennedy of the Hockey News: Lucic shaping the whole of the Northeast

http://www.thehockey...-Northeast.html

I couldn't stand looking at that guy's mug all night last night...especially when NBC had him chatting about the rivalry with the Habs.

Someone (Ott, Kaleta, Scott) needs to punish him for the entire game. One little fight won't do it, unless he's pummeled.

Sorry...a little bitter about Lucic.  :ph34r:

#23 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,827 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 07 February 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

From Ryan Kennedy of the Hockey News: Lucic shaping the whole of the Northeast

http://www.thehockey...-Northeast.html

He's dead right.  For example, because of Lucic, the Sabres designed their roster to fight Boston and Philly and can't score goals as a result.

#24 bobis

bobis

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

So they can beat the Bruins and nobody else. Throw in a couple of other accidental wins and they should finish with about 25 points, just good enough for 15th place in the east. They are making progress, even though it is the wrong way, it is still progress.

#25 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostEleven, on 07 February 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

He's dead right.  For example, because of Lucic, the Sabres designed their roster to fight Boston and Philly and can't score goals as a result.

You keep mentioning "and Philly", but IMO Philly isn't any tougher than most of the rest of the conference.  Philly transitioned from real tough to mostly-talented-but-reasonably-tough about 3 seasons ago.

#26 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,827 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

View Postweave, on 07 February 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

You keep mentioning "and Philly", but IMO Philly isn't any tougher than most of the rest of the conference.  Philly transitioned from real tough to mostly-talented-but-reasonably-tough about 3 seasons ago.

2011 playoffs.

#27 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostEleven, on 07 February 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

2011 playoffs.

Well, Steve Ott may have helped there, but if the sabres are trying to fix a weakness exposed by Philly in 2011 John Scott isn't the answer.  Philly didn't then, and doesn't now have the type of player that John Scott is a deterence for.

#28 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostEleven, on 07 February 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

He's dead right.  For example, because of Lucic, the Sabres designed their roster to fight Boston and Philly and can't score goals as a result.

Funny, but not in a ha, ha way ...

2 of their 3 wins have been against Boston and Philly.

#29 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

The Blue and Gold has quite a bit of ground to make up.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 06 June 2013 - 07:50 AM.


#30 inkman

inkman

    Fledgling Member of TSC

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 06 June 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

The Blue and Gold has  quite a bit of ground to make up.
Right now their timeline is somewhere between a decade and infinity to play catch up to the real teams in the NHL.

#31 waldo

waldo

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

View Postinkman, on 06 June 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

Right now their timeline is somewhere between a decade and infinity to play catch up to the real teams in the NHL.

Without Miller and Vanek we will bury them....lol they were such a drag on the team in those games against the Bruins

Edited by waldo, 06 June 2013 - 08:32 AM.


#32 skaught

skaught

    Rolston Centipede

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

View Postwaldo, on 06 June 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

Without Miller and Vanek we will bury them....lol they were such a drag on the team in those games against the Bruins

You mean the ones where Vanek either scored or assisted on every goal in the game? If only he wasn't so lazy...

#33 LaFontaineToMogilny

LaFontaineToMogilny

    Denim Demon

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

Only the Bruins are not the measuring stick for the Sabres, we are going to be like St. Louis. Much easier.

#34 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

View PostLaFontaineToMogilny, on 06 June 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

Only the Bruins are not the measuring stick for the Sabres, we are going to be like St. Louis. Much easier.

Not sure if I should :D ..... :cry: .....or :sick:

#35 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 06 June 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

The Blue and Gold has quite a bit of ground to make up.

I was thinking about this on the throne today.....who could play for Boston right now?

I guess Vanek could take Jagr's spot. Hodgson could be their #3 center if he plays defense. Ehrhoff could be a 2nd pairing and Weber a 3rd....I think Sekera is too timid to play their style. Ott would fit in, and maybe Kaleta and Gerbe as a checking line.

Horton WANTED to take that game last night, and it is sad to think of what Stafford could have been. Marchand has all the tools of Ennis but is nasty and has confidence. At this point Rask looks like he is better than Miller.

We're 40% of the way there. Just need 2 top centers, 2 top 6 wingers, 3 defensemen with size who can absord hits and make outlets, and for Myers to go see the Wizzard of Oz and a cardiologist....

#36 LaFontaineToMogilny

LaFontaineToMogilny

    Denim Demon

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 06 June 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

I was thinking about this on the throne today.....who could play for Boston right now?

I guess Vanek could take Jagr's spot. Hodgson could be their #3 center if he plays defense. Ehrhoff could be a 2nd pairing and Weber a 3rd....I think Sekera is too timid to play their style. Ott would fit in, and maybe Kaleta and Gerbe as a checking line.

Horton WANTED to take that game last night, and it is sad to think of what Stafford could have been. Marchand has all the tools of Ennis but is nasty and has confidence. At this point Rask looks like he is better than Miller.

We're 40% of the way there. Just need 2 top centers, 2 top 6 wingers, 3 defensemen with size who can absord hits and make outlets, and for Myers to go see the Wizzard of Oz and a cardiologist....

Pretty spot on here, I think you're identifying the pieces we need pretty well. I also think we could fill some of theses spots with talent we already have moving up and build a decent if not elite roster.

And it is indeed sad to think what Stafford should be, and what he is. If I have one hope for the Sabres it is that Drew Stafford spends every single day in this offseason looking in the mirror and contemplates what he is as a hockey player, and what he should be, and that he does not relent until he is filled with what my ancestors called Óðr, divine fury. If it takes consuming fly agaric so be it. Just find a way to be blessed with the rage of Odin and go berserk.

#37 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostLaFontaineToMogilny, on 06 June 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

Pretty spot on here, I think you're identifying the pieces we need pretty well. I also think we could fill some of theses spots with talent we already have moving up and build a decent if not elite roster.

And it is indeed sad to think what Stafford should be, and what he is. If I have one hope for the Sabres it is that Drew Stafford spends every single day in this offseason looking in the mirror and contemplates what he is as a hockey player, and what he should be, and that he does not relent until he is filled with what my ancestors called Óðr, divine fury. If it takes consuming fly agaric so be it. Just find a way to be blessed with the rage of Odin and go berserk.

The old Gatorade Slogan was Is it in You?  In the case of Stafford, sadly the answer is NO.

#38 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,653 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

The Bruins were a minute away from blowing a 3-1 series lead to the Leafs, let's not pretend they're some unstoppable, flawless, insurmountable juggernaut.  They're a hell of a team and of course much better than the Sabres, but it need not take three decades to reach their level--the line between Cup and chump isn't exactly the Grand Canyon.

Edited by TrueBluePhD, 06 June 2013 - 12:23 PM.


#39 BarDown

BarDown

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 06 June 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

The Bruins were a minute away from blowing a 3-1 series lead to the Leafs, let's not pretend they're some unstoppable, flawless, insurmountable juggernaut.  They're a hell of a team and of course much better than the Sabres, but it need not take three decades to reach their level--the line between Cup and chump isn't exactly the Grand Canyon.
Nice post, I agree.

#40 LaFontaineToMogilny

LaFontaineToMogilny

    Denim Demon

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 06 June 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

The old Gatorade Slogan was Is it in You?  In the case of Stafford, sadly the answer is NO.

So fly agaric it is then, that will put it in you

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 06 June 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

The Bruins were a minute away from blowing a 3-1 series lead to the Leafs, let's not pretend they're some unstoppable, flawless, insurmountable juggernaut.  They're a hell of a team and of course much better than the Sabres, but it need not take three decades to reach their level--the line between Cup and chump isn't exactly the Grand Canyon.

Yeah, the Bruins look like they are rolling right now, but to my eyes they are fortunate to be up 3-0. They can thank a few key factors such as Rask, Vokun and the posts for where they are at. They've played the Pens excellently and contained the talent while exploiting their weakness to a T, yet with a bounce here and there they could just as easily be down 1-2 in the series.

As someone said early on in this thread, I'd rather see the Sabres modeled like Chicago than Boston