274 replies to this topic

#1 Sherman

Sherman

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Is he still hurt?  He looks slow and uninspired.   I thought the turning point was how he responded from the Gerbe hit.  Just as spineless as the Gaustad response on Miller last year.  From that moment on the Hurricanes were flying.

Edited by Sherman, 24 January 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#2 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

I asked last week, or so, just what is it that people see in that guy.  The question stands as far as I'm concerned...what makes that guy so valuable; why does his reputation preceed him?

#3 Arcsabresfan41

Arcsabresfan41

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

I was firmly in the "never ever trade myers" camp last year. Now, I don't even know what to say.

#4 bills_fan_in_raleigh

bills_fan_in_raleigh

Live in Raleigh but Bleed Buffalo Sports an I hate the canes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Clearly struggling and if he's hurting sit his ass he's not helping right now

#5 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,369 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

There's only a week left for his supporters to say this..."He's only 22!"

Then they will switch to "He's only 23!"

That being said, Myers looks all screwed up.  Bad defense, little to no offense.  I think a case can be made that he has regressed each season.  All of a sudden, that $10 million dollar bonus looks ridiculous.   Hopefully he snaps out of it.

#6 Sherman

Sherman

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

I would like to see what Brennan has to offer.  He put up decent numbers in Rochester and showed a spine.  Myers just has me at a loss for words.  Stafford showed against Hartnell just show up if you want to be taken seriously.

#7 blugold43

blugold43

Still pissed about the Gare trade.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

he  better be hurt because he looks like a big pansy.

#8 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,838 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 24 January 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

I asked last week, or so, just what is it that people see in that guy.  The question stands as far as I'm concerned...what makes that guy so valuable; why does his reputation preceed him?

He earned the reputation.  (Calder, remember?) That's why it precedes him.  Now he's destroying it.

#9 Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

A lot of coasting out there.  I hope Lindy benches him tomorrow night.

#10 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

6'8" and weighs like 180 lbs. He has no grit, it's not instilled in him and he's not gonna learn it, especially under ruff. I hate to say it, but but i think what u see is what u get with him at this point. He's tall and can pokecheck a lil but he's not an intimidator and what he did after the gerbe hit was unacceptable

#11 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,838 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

View Postwyldnwoody44, on 24 January 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

6'8" and weighs like 180 lbs. He has no grit, it's not instilled in him and he's not gonna learn it, especially under ruff. I hate to say it, but but i think what u see is what u get with him at this point. He's tall and can pokecheck a lil but he's not an intimidator and what he did after the gerbe hit was unacceptable

We'll leave the completely inaccurate Ruff comment aside for now; what he did during the powerplay, trying to prevent a second shortie by using his stick instead of his body, was even more unacceptable.  Completely stupid.  Mind-blowingly stupid.  You've got that size and you have to insert your stick between his legs?  Just stop and let him crash into you, FFS!

View PostCaptain Caveman, on 24 January 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

A lot of coasting out there.  I hope Lindy benches him tomorrow night.

I'm fine with that.  "But it would crush his psyche!" some would say.  No, if his psyche is that fragile, it's already crushed, no matter who the coach.

#12 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

View Postwyldnwoody44, on 24 January 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

Same meek response as the Lucic hit on Miller last year.  He hung out with Shea Weber over the Summer, but the nasty obviously hasn't rubbed off.  What would Shea Weber's response have been?  Hell, for that matter, what about Mike Weber in the same scenario?

Not acceptable play from the Franchise D.  Not even close!!!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 24 January 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#13 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

who would want him in a trade at this point? Maybe he'd fit right in for Toronto.

#14 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,838 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

View Post716, on 24 January 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

who would want him in a trade at this point? Maybe he'd fit right in for Toronto.

There are 29 teams that would take him in a trade.  What they'd give differs from team to team.  Young, Calder-winning defensemen aren't everywhere, and some team would give up something significant for him.  Which, for the first time (like others above), I'd be more than willing to entertain if I were Regier.

#15 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

View PostEleven, on 24 January 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

We'll leave the completely inaccurate Ruff comment aside for now; what he did during the powerplay, trying to prevent a second shortie by using his stick instead of his body, was even more unacceptable.  Completely stupid.  Mind-blowingly stupid.  You've got that size and you have to insert your stick between his legs?  Just stop and let him crash into you, FFS!

I'm fine with that.  "But it would crush his psyche!" some would say.  No, if his psyche is that fragile, it's already crushed, no matter who the coach.
Ruff's main priority this season should be getting Myers turned around.  We basically bet the entire franchise on him with that contract.

View PostEleven, on 24 January 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

There are 29 teams that would take him in a trade.  What they'd give differs from team to team.  Young, Calder-winning defensemen aren't everywhere, and some team would give up something significant for him.  Which, for the first time (like others above), I'd be more than willing to entertain if I were Regier.
Yeah, time to investigate.  He's still young but I'm wondering if he needs a change of scenery.

#16 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,669 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

View PostArcsabresfan41, on 24 January 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

I was firmly in the "never ever trade myers" camp last year. Now, I don't even know what to say.

I'm not jumping off a bridge after three games, but I'm concerned at this point.  From what I read, he didn't play particularly well over in Europe either.

#17 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

View PostEleven, on 24 January 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

Right-e-oh, but don't even consider changing his coach. (And how can someone's opinion about Ruff be "inaccurate"?)

#18 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,838 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 24 January 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

Right-e-oh, but don't even consider changing his coach. (And how can someone's opinion about Ruff be "inaccurate"?)

You're not threadjacking this.  Sorry.

#19 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

View PostEleven, on 24 January 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

You're not threadjacking this.  Sorry.

Lindy's a part of this discussion. Sorry. Find a sexy photo online and apply for moderator.

#20 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,838 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 24 January 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

Lindy's a part of this discussion. Sorry. Find a sexy photo online and apply for moderator.

It's a Myers thread.  Seriously, I'm ignoring your Lindy posts in this thread.  I'm not going to be a part of you taking another thread off-topic.

#21 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 24 January 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

This is definitely an option.

#22 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

lol pa

#23 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Its a 70/30 mix between player and coach. I think Myers needs to use his brains more for sure. But idk what Lindy is telling the kid either. Aggressiveness has been an issue with the whole team for the past decade, then there's always the question of Myers actual stature, he is big. But not really stout, and he had a hard time putting on any weight this off season..... I think a 30 lbs heavier Myers is a more effective one.

#24 Who Else?

Who Else?

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

He looks like a drunk guy trying to hard in a beer league game, all over the place and about two steps behind.

#25 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

View Postwyldnwoody44, on 24 January 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

Its a 70/30 mix between player and coach. I think Myers needs to use his brains more for sure. But idk what Lindy is telling the kid either. Aggressiveness has been an issue with the whole team for the past decade, then there's always the question of Myers actual stature, he is big. But not really stout, and he had a hard time putting on any weight this off season..... I think a 30 lbs heavier Myers is a more effective one.

Well said...

And the only way he puts on 30 lbs is through a pituitary tumor.....

Again, only 3 games into a goofy season, so everyone needs to hold off on praising and killing these guys. The thing is though, people have treated this kid like the testube baby of Orr/Horton/Chara. In reality it has been the combo of Wooley/Ghandi/Sean Bradley......

#26 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

he had a bad game.....it happens. he had a few dozen last year..

the game the other suspects brought tonight bothers me more.

#27 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

This thread needs to be benched.

Leopold and Sulzer were both far, far worse than Myers tonight.  Leo needs to go, now, before any potential trade partners figure out how bad he's gotten.

#28 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,235 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

I'd move him, tonight.

Edited by inkman, 25 January 2013 - 12:07 AM.

#29 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,414 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

This team was brutal last year without Myers down the stretch. That said, Myers has been ineffective through the first three games of this season. He needs to use his size. I don't know if it's just how he sees himself as a player but I want to see him tread the line between physical and unsportsmanlike. The kid needs to play like the defenseman we've been waiting for or else the Concept of Tyler Myers is going to be a thing.

#30 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Actually Ville Leino

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 24 January 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

Not acceptable play from the Franchise D.  Not even close!!!
I wish I had a Franchise D.  I love this board after a loss :lol:

I hope Myers can turn it around, and I think he will.

#31 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,414 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 25 January 2013 - 12:35 AM, said:

I wish I had a Franchise D.  I love this board after a loss :lol:

I hope Myers can turn it around, and I think he will.

The question being what we define as turning it around. Because I think some of us here are still waiting for him to be the player that he can be, so that when he has a bad game turning it around really carries some weight. In my mind he hasn't achieved at a level in the past where he has earned a free pass on a bad game now and then.

#32 Formerly Allan in MD

Formerly Allan in MD

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

He does look slow.  What hasn't changed much are the bad passes in his own end.

#33 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,369 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

I need a solid Marfan rant before I go to bed. Paging GoDD. :D

#34 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Actually Ville Leino

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 25 January 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:

The question being what we define as turning it around. Because I think some of us here are still waiting for him to be the player that he can be, so that when he has a bad game turning it around really carries some weight. In my mind he hasn't achieved at a level in the past where he has earned a free pass on a bad game now and then.
I was using "turn it around" in more of a cosmic sense.  I hope he can stop regressing and become the player we all want him to be.

#35 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,369 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

I could see if he was focused on being better defensively, and it is costing him some offense, but his defense stinks, he seems like he is skating in mud, and there is no offense at all.  Not sure, but was he even on the PP tonight?

#36 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

View PostLabattBlue, on 25 January 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

I need a solid Marfan rant before I go to bed. Paging GoDD. :D

If this kid gets diagnosed with a circulatory/cardiac issue......I want Ted Black to send me a Sabretooth bobblehead from the store.....and some of his famous Superbowl taco dip.

Retired by 28. Probably by 26. Hopefully in one piece.

This medical staff has NO CLUE!

And didn't Mike Wilson at least fight Lindros?

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane, 25 January 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#37 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

First two games, I thought someone (Tyler, Lindy, Jessie Pegula?) had decided Tyler should go for the less is more mode this year: safe, positional, move the puck, concentrate of being the shutdown guy with Regehr. And I thought the results were OK.
Tonight he just couldn't get out of his own way. His big body was its own worst enemy.
I wish the kid would stop thinking too much and just trust his instincts and play.

#38 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

View PostSherman, on 24 January 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

Is he still hurt?  He looks slow and uninspired.   I thought the turning point was how he responded from the Gerbe hit.  Just as spineless as the Gaustad response on Miller last year.  From that moment on the Hurricanes were flying.

He's been hurt for three seasons? This is the same exact Tyler Myers we've seen for the past three seasons. About time people started to wake up and realize...

#39 Peppy22

Peppy22

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

Obviously self-confidence is very very important for Myers. He has none at the moment. It's been only 3 games though. Without a doubt he has to improve but I am not worried after 3 games.

#40 kishoph

kishoph

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

Has anyone on the defense played above average in the 3 games they've played so far ? To me the defense looks soft, last night Carolina had no problem entering the zone, I don't recall anyone challenging them. Regehr, who you would hope to bring a little edge to the backline has 3 hits in 3 games, Sekera looks lost and Leopold has been terribly inconsistent. Ehrhoff and Sulzer have been average. It's only been 3 games, without a real pre season, so hopefully things will turn around.
I certainly would bring Ruff into the topic, but I won't "hijack" the thread, besides Terry and Darcy like him.

Edited by kishoph, 25 January 2013 - 05:36 AM.