64 replies to this topic

#1 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,614 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

I have probably asked this during free preview in past seasons, but is TWC the only provider where most of the games are not in HD?  From what I can see, they have one dedicated channel to show the games in HD.  The rest are standard def.

#2 Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

DirecTV seems to have em all in HD.

#3 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,277 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

View PostLabattBlue, on 20 January 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

I have probably asked this during free preview in past seasons, but is TWC the only provider where most of the games are not in HD?  From what I can see, they have one dedicated channel to show the games in HD.  The rest are standard def.
This was the case when I had Center Ice with TWC in Seattle a couple years back.  They had 1 or 2 dedicated channels for HD and sometimes you'd get lucky and have your game be on one of them.  Pretty stupid if this is still the case in 2013.

I bought NHL Gamecenter for the first time this year and can watch on my TV with a Roku box.  It's an HD picture but I think the refresh rate is low.  If you're used to watching a plasma with a 600Hz refresh rate, you'll notice a lower one (especially watching the puck on a cross-ice pass).  Still, it looked pretty decent overall on my TV and great on my computer last night, so not a bad way to spend $50.

#4 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

View PostCaptain Caveman, on 20 January 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

DirecTV seems to have em all in HD.
Most of the time a DirecTV NHLCI non-HD game is two Canadian teams such as tonight's Oilers vs Canucks contest.

#5 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Makin' it rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Center Ice is $60 on DTV.  NHL-GCL is $50.  At least GCL allows me to watch games on my phone which is handy when the wife and I are dancing.

PTR

#6 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 20 January 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

Most of the time a DirecTV NHLCI non-HD game is two Canadian teams such as tonight's Oilers vs Canucks contest.

I can confirm this. Almost all of DTV's CI is in HD, with this exception. One slight downside is that you need to pay for the highest package in order to receive NBCSN (versus) games because CI is blacked out for those games.  NHLN is available in the mid-low packages and higher,so no biggy.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 20 January 2013 - 10:55 PM.

#7 JoeinCalifornia

JoeinCalifornia

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Center Ice on Directv does have most games in HD with the exception of two Canadian teams.  That however is not the case when its the Saturday Night Hockey Night in Canada game as those are usually in HD.  Directv also includes the NHL network with your Center Ice subscription free of charge so you don't need to subscribe to whatever tier its on like you would with Time Warner.

#8 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

View PostLabattBlue, on 20 January 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

I have TWC Rochester and get all the games in HD. Usually the SD and 2 HD channels are from 1400-1410 (or something) but they added a all-HD lineup from 1560-1569.

#9 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,614 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 20 January 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

I have TWC Rochester and get all the games in HD. Usually the SD and 2 HD channels are from 1400-1410 (or something) but they added a all-HD lineup from 1560-1569.
Found it thx.  Same here in Buffalo.  Never even checked that high. :doh:

#10 Wacka

Wacka

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

The Sabres-Leafs  game is on 4 channels on Direct TV here. Two HD and two standard. I believe they have one of each with the Toronto feed and one of each with Rick.  How can I tell which one is the MSG feed? I'm on the west coast and the game is on at 4 or 4:30 so I will record it.

#11 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

DirecTV carries the Sabres home HD feed on MSG, on a channel it calls NYa3 ("MSG/MSG+ HD Alternate") in the guide.  This is channel 638-1 in my neighborhood (Los Angeles).

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 21 January 2013 - 01:06 AM.

#12 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 20 January 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

Thanks for this. I never looked beyond the 1400s and wondered why its 2013 and games were still SD.

#13 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 21 January 2013 - 01:06 AM, said:

DirecTV carries the Sabres home HD feed on MSG, on a channel it calls NYa3 ("MSG/MSG+ HD Alternate") in the guide.  This is channel 638-1 in my neighborhood (Los Angeles).

My neighborhood too (northeast Pennsyltucky)

#14 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:08 AM

View PostAndrew Amerk, on 21 January 2013 - 01:58 AM, said:

Thanks for this. I never looked beyond the 1400s and wondered why its 2013 and games were still SD.

:thumbsup:

#15 Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 20 January 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

Center Ice is $60 on DTV.  NHL-GCL is $50.  At least GCL allows me to watch games on my phone which is handy when the wife and I are dancing.

PTR

That's a euphemism, right?

#16 TheMadCap

TheMadCap

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

Glad this came up actually. I called DTV for my once a year shakedown for lowering my bill, and asked if they had a price for the half season of NHL Center Ice. They told me it was free this year, although the guy did not specifically say so, it sounded like it was standard for customers that have had it previously. You might want to make a quick call to confirm. Enjoy!

#17 nucci

nucci

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostTheMadCap, on 21 January 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Glad this came up actually. I called DTV for my once a year shakedown for lowering my bill, and asked if they had a price for the half season of NHL Center Ice. They told me it was free this year, although the guy did not specifically say so, it sounded like it was standard for customers that have had it previously. You might want to make a quick call to confirm. Enjoy!
Interesting. Thanks. I have it on my bill for this month but no charges. Wondering if it will be on next months bill.

#18 fallen627

fallen627

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

This is probably a stupid question, but can you watch the games on game center whenever you want? I'll be traveling a lot this year and like the mobility of game center. However, I never have time to watch games live. I usually just record them on DVR and start them a bit later. Is this still possible with game center?

Edited by fallen627, 21 January 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#19 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,757 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

If you're in the Sabres television market, Center Ice on DirecTV will black out the Sabres games, right? I normally have the package with the MSG channels but downgraded over the summer to save a few bucks. Don't want to add it back unless I have to. I have to, right? Someone pat the old man on the head and give him a cookie. Thanks.

#20 bills_fan_in_raleigh

bills_fan_in_raleigh

Live in Raleigh but Bleed Buffalo Sports an I hate the canes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 21 January 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

If you're in the Sabres television market, Center Ice on DirecTV will black out the Sabres games, right? I normally have the package with the MSG channels but downgraded over the summer to save a few bucks. Don't want to add it back unless I have to. I have to, right? Someone pat the old man on the head and give him a cookie. Thanks.
NO you will actually get sabres games on Directv even without CI if your in buffalo market

#21 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Looks like FIOS added more HD channels going from 2 to 5.  This should cover most games given east/west starting times - although you may get the visiting broadcast.

#22 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Makin' it rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostCaptain Caveman, on 21 January 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

That's a euphemism, right?
Ha ha I guess it could be. No, we really go out to dance. And being the lovely generous woman she is, she doesn't mind me having the game on my phone at our table. In fact I wear my bluetooth and listen to the game without disturbing anyone, though it's hard doing a two-step with RJ yelling in my ear.  She would not be as understanding if I was watching games while doing the dirty hula.

PTR

#23 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,757 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

View Postbills_fan_in_raleigh, on 21 January 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

NO you will actually get sabres games on Directv even without CI if your in buffalo market

Thanks but I knew that. I'm wondering if I'm in the Sabres market but don't have MSG, will I still get the game on CI.

#24 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 21 January 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

Ha ha I guess it could be. No, we really go out to dance. And being the lovely generous woman she is, she doesn't mind me having the game on my phone at our table. In fact I wear my bluetooth and listen to the game without disturbing anyone, though it's hard doing a two-step with RJ yelling in my ear.  She would not be as understanding if I was watching games while doing the dirty hula.

PTR

:lol:

#25 bills_fan_in_raleigh

bills_fan_in_raleigh

Live in Raleigh but Bleed Buffalo Sports an I hate the canes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 21 January 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

Thanks but I knew that. I'm wondering if I'm in the Sabres market but don't have MSG, will I still get the game on CI.
yes you should since the MSG channel should be your regional sports network.   But if not if u have CI on DTV you will get MSG 638-1 HD now if ya have DISH thats a whole different issue since DISH doesnt carry MSG so you get the other teams coverage blacked out in Buffalo Market so cant even watch sabres if ya have CI on DISH.

#26 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

View Postfallen627, on 21 January 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

This is probably a stupid question, but can you watch the games on game center whenever you want? I'll be traveling a lot this year and like the mobility of game center. However, I never have time to watch games live. I usually just record them on DVR and start them a bit later. Is this still possible with game center?

I don't know how long the games are available after being played (I think through the current season?), but you may actually be better off since any games that are blacked-out live will be available for viewing 48 h later.

#27 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,504 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

View Postbiodork, on 21 January 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

I don't know how long the games are available after being played (I think through the current season?), but you may actually be better off since any games that are blacked-out live will be available for viewing 48 h later.
GCL is absolutely the best deal around.  Right now, if I feel like it, I can watch any game from last year, home or away feed.  That's crazy.  And as to the original post, Cablevision (or Optimum) only had 1 game a day in HD, the rest were in SD (it was actually more like NoD).  The quality I get from GC is a lot better than what I was getting from CI on cable.

Bio is right.  All games are immediately available, except for those that are nationally televised (NBC, NBCSN, NHLN) or locally blacked.  Then you have to wait 48 hours.

#28 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,467 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

What is GCL running these days and can I get an onlime subscription for it?

#29 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

View Postweave, on 21 January 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

$49.99

https://gamecenter.n...l-gcl-cdlanding

#30 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

View Postweave, on 21 January 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

Pricing above, but this might be a good pick for you if you have a smartphone -- you can access your subscription on any mobile device that has the GameCenter app, which is pretty sweet.  The app itself is free and already lets you view game highlights, stats, etc... you just need the paid subscription to view live and NHL Vault games.

#31 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

View Postfallen627, on 21 January 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

On the PS3 app, yes, you can watch the game whenever you like. As someone mentioned downstream, all of last season is available and lots of other stuff in the vault from years back. I haven't used the smartphone app yet, but I'd guess it's the same.

#32 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,757 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

To answer my own question, yes, CI is blacked out for those in the Sabres' TV market. I had to upgrade my DTV package to get MSG.

#33 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 21 January 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

To answer my own question, yes, CI is blacked out for those in the Sabres' TV market. I had to upgrade my DTV package to get MSG.

You're considered the Sabres' market in PA??

#34 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,757 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

View Postbiodork, on 21 January 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

You're considered the Sabres' market in PA??

Yes, far enough north, I guess.

#35 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 21 January 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

Yes, far enough north, I guess.

That sucks. Glad you can still watch, at least.

I thought it was crazy I'm considered "in market" for the Pens when Pittsburgh is 3.5 - 4 hours away.

#36 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

View Postbiodork, on 21 January 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

That sucks. Glad you can still watch, at least.

I thought it was crazy I'm considered "in market" for the Pens when Pittsburgh is 3.5 - 4 hours away.

I'm considered to be in the Bills/Sabres market even though I'm 3 hours away (Dryden NY).  Syracuse (where I get my cable from) has one tinsy weensy little sliver in the Buffalo market, so we get blacked out here.

#37 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 21 January 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

I'm considered to be in the Bills/Sabres market even though I'm 3 hours away (Dryden NY).  Syracuse (where I get my cable from) has one tinsy weensy little sliver in the Buffalo market, so we get blacked out here.

Those rules are so dumb.  Washington, New Jersey, and New York are all a similar distance from me as Pitt, but none of those games are blacked out.  Makes no sense at all.

#38 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Makin' it rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

ALERT!  Save 10% if you buy NHL-GCL with a  Discover card.  So I paid $44.99.

PTR

#39 eball

eball

Unabashed Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

638-1 is where I look for the Sabres games on DirecTV and they're all in HD.  Somebody a while back (I think it was this forum) posted some directions for a boolean search on DTV to automatically record all Sabres games, whether on MSG, NBC, NBCSN, or NHLN.  Anyone remember that?  It was helpful because you didn't have to worry about which channel in the 770s CI was showing the game on.

#40 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,587 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:19 AM

View Posteball, on 22 January 2013 - 06:03 AM, said:

638-1 is where I look for the Sabres games on DirecTV and they're all in HD.  Somebody a while back (I think it was this forum) posted some directions for a boolean search on DTV to automatically record all Sabres games, whether on MSG, NBC, NBCSN, or NHLN.  Anyone remember that?  It was helpful because you didn't have to worry about which channel in the 770s CI was showing the game on.

I remember him doing it, I remember doing it and I can't remember how,  Wish I did, cause that DVR died an ignoble death and I had to replace it with a new one.