17 replies to this topic

#1 Icehole

Icehole

Goon Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

First you had, Bellichick, then Tim Thomas, then Lucic and now the Bruins owner.  What is the deal up, not off desalination in the water??

http://prohockeytalk...ng-day/related/

I don't get it, Boston is becoming the old NYC and NYC has become a kindler and gentler place sort of.

And you wonder why people blame the owners on this thing.

Edited by North Buffalo, 20 January 2013 - 11:02 AM.

#2 cpabob

cpabob

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

You mean the Bruins owner, who lives in and is from Buffalo? Guess we can take credit for him. Didn't really object to anything he said as he gave his perspective on the lockout, in response to a question. I'm sure the players would say the exact opposite. Yawn.

#3 \GoBillsInDallas/

\GoBillsInDallas/

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostNorth Buffalo, on 20 January 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

First you had, Bellichick, then Tim Thomas, then Lucic and now the Bruins owner.  What is the deal up, not off desalination in the water??

http://prohockeytalk...ng-day/related/

I don't get it, Boston is becoming the old NYC and NYC has become a kindler and gentler place sort of.

And you wonder why people blame the owners on this thing.

Actually, Jacobs is head of Delaware North and was born and lives in Buffalo. Here's his house:

http://maps.google.c...wAHEuICoAg&pw=2

If he was bred to be a "hater", then it's must be all those "haters" in Buffalo that bred him, eh?

:wallbash:

#4 blugold43

blugold43

Still pissed about the Gare trade.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Hate is your mistress and you shall not want

#5 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

So the owner of the bruins lives in Buffalo, and nobody has run him out of town yet ???

I'd break out the tar and feathers :P

#6 notwoz

notwoz

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Jacobs was one of the "hard-liner"  owners. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't the entire reason for the lockout. I wouldn't mind having his money, though.

#7 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

View PostHeimdall, on 20 January 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

So the owner of the bruins lives in Buffalo, and nobody has run him out of town yet ???

I'd break out the tar and feathers :P

His company runs the food service at the Buffalo airport and First Niagara Center. So, not only have we not run him out of town yet, but we smother him with loads of cash each day.

#8 Yuri Olesha

Yuri Olesha

Agent Provocateur Cologne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

Boston is our Big Brother.

And New York is our Big Big Brother.

Personally, I'm looking to them two cities, more than I'm looking to Chicago or Los Angeles/California for Culture.

That doesn't mean I can't be better than my big brothers.

#9 Punch

Punch

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:40 AM

Chicago is the cousin that recalls us much less fondly than we recall them. We're excited to talk to them whenever we see them but utterly disappointed that they'd rather do shots with New York and swap stories with Boston.

Los Angeles is the ex that was out of our league from the start which we took for granted. Sexy and much too sophisticated for us although we didn't realize it until they dumped our ass and moved out to the coast.

#10 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

View PostPunch, on 21 January 2013 - 01:40 AM, said:

Chicago is the cousin that recalls us much less fondly than we recall them. We're excited to talk to them whenever we see them but utterly disappointed that they'd rather do shots with New York and swap stories with Boston.

Los Angeles is the ex that was out of our league from the start which we took for granted. Sexy and much too sophisticated for us although we didn't realize it until they dumped our ass and moved out to the coast.

Los Angeles is the ex that thought she was better than you, and moved out to the coast full of hopes and dreams, but ultimately became a strung out lady of the streets.

She is now a dentists worst nightmare.

#11 Punch

Punch

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

View PostAndrew Amerk, on 21 January 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

Los Angeles is the ex that thought she was better than you, and moved out to the coast full of hopes and dreams, but ultimately became a strung out lady of the streets.

She is now a dentists worst nightmare.

This is better. We only thought LA was sparkly, flashy and too good for us after she left because we were distraught from her rejection. Once we finished our mourning period we realized our infatuation was superficial at best and started dating Niagara Falls on the rebound. She's a little trashy but still exotic enough to keep it interesting.

#12 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,822 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

View PostYuri Olesha, on 21 January 2013 - 01:07 AM, said:

Boston is our Big Brother.

And New York is our Big Big Brother.

Personally, I'm looking to them two cities, more than I'm looking to Chicago or Los Angeles/California for Culture.

That doesn't mean I can't be better than my big brothers.
If they are your brothers, then Toronto is your dad.

#13 billsrnofuntopay

billsrnofuntopay

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

I was watching the boston home opener via NESN (new england sports network)  and they had a video montage of last years highlights and I was so pissed to see the hit on Miller...

#14 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

I never blamed either side a lot. This was a labor dispute, just like any other lockout or strike.  For some reason the dollars involved made us view this differently, then say an auto workers strike. When plants shut down during a labor dispute, it effects others just like this did.  Restaurants and bar owners in the area are affected.  Transportation and all other types of vendors who supply the plants are hurt also.  People go back and buy cars after the strike, just like we go back to hockey.  Both sides feel the're right.

#15 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Wait... which city is our b!tch?

#16 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostGrumpy, on 21 January 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

I never blamed either side a lot. This was a labor dispute, just like any other lockout or strike.  For some reason the dollars involved made us view this differently, then say an auto workers strike. When plants shut down during a labor dispute, it effects others just like this did.  Restaurants and bar owners in the area are affected.  Transportation and all other types of vendors who supply the plants are hurt also.  People go back and buy cars after the strike, just like we go back to hockey.  Both sides feel the're right.
while true, we do view it differently when its Millionaires (who can afford to be off work for a while) fight Billionaires over how to divide their revenue, it is still different then the auto workers. The Auto workers strikes are over actual working conditions and keeping health care plans for their families, they are putting in 40 hour work weeks for a full year doing actual work making a decent pay making something we all need in day to day life. They are not  being paid millions to entertain us playing a game we played as children and would be willing to play now for a fraction of their earnings if we only were blessed with the talent to do it.

#17 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 21 January 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

while true, we do view it differently when its Millionaires (who can afford to be off work for a while) fight Billionaires over how to divide their revenue, it is still different then the auto workers. The Auto workers strikes are over actual working conditions and keeping health care plans for their families, they are putting in 40 hour work weeks for a full year doing actual work making a decent pay making something we all need in day to day life. They are not  being paid millions to entertain us playing a game we played as children and would be willing to play now for a fraction of their earnings if we only were blessed with the talent to do it.

Sorry, I still think it is a labor dispute. Why should the scale of pay matter.  Both sides are about what they think they deserve or is right for them to do business.  The auto worker cares about himself. The player cares about himself. Management is the same.  The players were about their working conditions. That was some of the concessions made my mgt.   Single rooms on the road was one concession. This feeds into the class warfae we see being exploited in politics and elections.  They have money and don't deserve it!  Yes it's a game and we all think we would be thrilled to play it for pay. However, until you walk a mile in their shoes, you have no idea how you would feel.

I don't want to argue this. I'm glad it's over and I have hockey. Although, I must say I'm not sorry about the $2,000 I saved on my season ticket package.  I'm selfish too and I admit it.  Go Sabres!!!

Edited by Grumpy, 21 January 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#18 Icehole

Icehole

Goon Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

View Post\GoBillsInDallas/, on 20 January 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

Actually, Jacobs is head of Delaware North and was born and lives in Buffalo. Here's his house:

http://maps.google.c...wAHEuICoAg&pw=2

If he was bred to be a "hater", then it's must be all those "haters" in Buffalo that bred him, eh?

:wallbash:

Crap, didn't know that,  I say break out the TAR and I will provide the feathers.  My wife just got two chickens and I am dying for a reason to not have to take care of them despite her claim about the eggs...

View PostSwampD, on 21 January 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

If they are your brothers, then Toronto is your dad.

Toronto is the kid brother that finally got bigger, but doesn't know it because you can still kick the crap out him through pure intimidation... :devil:

All this being said, you don't rub salt in a wound after everyone has agreed to makeup.  It is bad PR and Tact and allows the other side to gain an advantage the next time there is a problem and single you out as the cause, true or not.  P.R. and Politics 101.

Plus it made him look like a hater after the fact and as someone else said the reason for the holdup.

Kinda like the right or left wing holding out for everything they want and torpedeoing something when they alread have 80-90 percent of what they asked for.

Wait a while, state you still have some concerns and hopefully some of these things can be addressed in the future.  Meanwhile work for other ways to accomplish the same goal, just don't be perceived as an a-hole, people who oppose you will ask for more in the future.  It doesn't help your cause.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bruins, Bruins owner haters, Bellichick, Tim Thomas, Lucic