60 replies to this topic

#1 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

What say you. Season Record, Seed, Playoff Results, player performance, etc.

#2 BuffaloBorn

BuffaloBorn

tank on..

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

I  honestly don't know, I  think this seasons kinda got that wildcard factor being that it's a shortened season. I would hope sabres win more than lose, and on paper I say they should get at least 8th seed playoff seed with a lot of work. I don't know how successful any post-season bid would be at this point. (against what i HOPE happens). Another thing about this is, you never know which players are gonna be better, and which players will not improve (statistically). I would hope that Miller, Pominville, and Vanek carry the team. If Grigs plays like a all-star as a rookie right off the bat that's even more firepower. I think there's enough talent on the team to roll 3 potential scoring lines. Can't wait for Sunday

#3 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,773 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

I've been around too long to make predictions. No one had the Sabres going anywhere in 96-97 or 05-06. We were going to go Cup Crazy in 2000.

But I have to take Terry at his word, a Stanley Cup by Year Three. While this is technically the third year he's owned the team, of course it's just the second full season. Still, this has to be a playoff year, with a nice run to the conference finals, at least. HIgh expectations are fair, no? He's spent the money and has the men in place he believes can get the job done.

There's no reason to expect failure.

#4 Peppy22

Peppy22

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Not going into numbers but I think Sabres have a chance to battle Bruins for the division. But I think Flyers, Rangers and Pens are better overall... so I think we finish between 2nd - 6th.

#5 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

I think we take 6th this year and that allows us to play a weaker #3 that is there because they won a bad division. I think we take the first round 4-1. I think we squeak by the second round in 6 or 7 and then as soon as our hopes are up, we will not show up in the 3rd round against the Rangers and get spanked.

I'd be ok with this scenario
Any predictions about my prediction. ;)

#6 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

I'm going with 27 wins, the 2 seed, and an appearance in the ECF. Miller does better than .917, Grigorenko stays all season,  and The hockey Writers create a new award for Pommer for best captain ever to play the game of hockey.

#7 Eric in Akron

Eric in Akron

Professional Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

I predict that the Sabres will finish 4th or 5th seed and will get knocked out of the playoffs in the second round but going to 7 games.

#8 sabres4life19

sabres4life19

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

i see us battling for the 5-9 seeds. too young down the middle but i feel this is a very different team than weve seen in years past

#9 Punch

Punch

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 18 January 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

I'm going with 27 wins, the 2 seed, and an appearance in the ECF. Miller does better than .917, Grigorenko stays all season,  and The hockey Writers create a new award for Pommer for best captain ever to play the game of hockey.

:clapping:

#10 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Ottawa takes the division, then Buffalo.  The Bruins without Thomas will miss the playoffs.  Montreal and Toronto,.. who cares.

We play Ottawa in the first round.

#11 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

I see 6 or 7 seed but I really think it all depends on Rask and Miller (especially Rask). I think Carolina is going to have a strong run for some reason....

#12 ROC Sabres

ROC Sabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

I predict the following things will be said during the season:
Mr. Softie
Thomas Vanish
He should go back to his garage band (referring to stafford)
oh look, kaleta's hurt again
Enroth should be the starter

As for performance, I can see a 4th-5th seed 2nd in the northeast.

#13 gohansrage

gohansrage

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

The Sabres are an interesting team.  The second half of last year showed the great play thisteam is capable of, but the first half last year showed the crap this team is capable of as well.  For the Sabres I think everything from making the Conference Finals to missing the playoffs is on the table.  Since we're making guesses, I say the Sabres get the sixth season and lose to the Hurricanes in a very physical seven game series.

#14 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,959 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

We don't even have the benefit of some pre-season games to see how the roster clicks. I think we'll have a better idea of what to expect from this team by next week end.

#15 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

Sabres finish # 5 in the East, Otter gets an A on his sweater, and #25 never sees the juniors again.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 18 January 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#16 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 18 January 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

We don't even have the benefit of some pre-season games to see how the roster clicks. I think we'll have a better idea of what to expect from this team by next week end.
Cmon softie, predictions all must occur before the puck drops Sunday, duh ;)

#17 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,959 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

View Postwyldnwoody44, on 18 January 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Cmon softie, predictions all must occur before the puck drops Sunday, duh ;)

No way, we more data.  Data, data, data.

#18 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Data makes the world go round

#19 BuffaloBorn

BuffaloBorn

tank on..

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 18 January 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

definitely

#20 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,616 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Prognostications:

1, Kaleta will break his hand grabbing a puck out of mid air
2. Grigs will be sent down at some point in this season.
3. Hechts will bounce around from line to line with no permanent home.
4. The line of Ennis, Stafford and Foligno will not make it through 15 games before being broken up.
5.  Miller will have a GAA around 2.10.
6.  Enroth will get eight games
7.  Ott will be a fan favorite and will lead the team in PIMS edging out Kaleta
8.  Scott will not fight a single Bruin
9.  Sabres will stumble out the gate and have a losing record after the first ten.  They will get better as the season goes on and will be chasing a 7-8 spot.
10. Sabres will finish with 49 points.

#21 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Goals: Vanek 21

56 pts. 5th seed.  Win first round, out in 2nd.

Stanley Cup: Pens over Blues in 6.

#22 gohansrage

gohansrage

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

View Postwjag, on 18 January 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

Prognostications:

For some reason "Around" 2.10 made me laugh.

#23 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Sabres finish 2nd in division, 3 points behind Boston, and take the #5 seed.  Beat the Pens in the 1st round in 6, lose in the 2nd round to Boston in 7.

Miller comes in third for the Vezina.  Grigorenko comes in second for the Calder.  Scott finishes with only 3 fighting majors.  Pominville leads in points, Vanek in goals.

#24 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

I have the East shaking out as follows:

Pittsburgh - healthy Crosby and Sutter more than offset the loss of Staal, at least in the regular season
Boston - healthy Horton, maturing Seguin, and I think Rask is at least good enough
Tampa - even if he's not an elite player, I think Lindback is enough of an upgrade over Roloson to help them win a weak division
Rangers - I still think Nash is overrated and question if they have enough offense with Tortorella coaching, but they're undeniably an upper-echelon team
Philly - defense and goaltending questions once again hold them back (although I think Bryz has a good year)
Sabres - I can easily see them higher or lower based on the young centers producing or flopping, so I'm going with the median outcome here
Carolina - like this team a lot, wouldn't be surprised if they challenge for the SE, but they don't have much depth
Washington - I think the addition of a true 2C in Rebeiro is huge, and hopefully Oates is smart enough to unshackle Ovechkin

I'd have picked Winnipeg to make the playoffs this year, but I really think the travel in a condensed schedule and only facing the East will wear them down.  Ottawa just happens to be the odd team out here, but I'm sure they'll be competing for the 6-8 spot.  And yes, I have the Devils missing--losing Parise matters a ton and I think Brodeur is bound to show his age at some point.  

Out West I think the playoff picture looks very similar to last season, just with a jockeying of positions:

LA - they look loaded for another run on paper, and I think the lockout helps them avoid a Cup hangover.  Big question is how sharp Quick will be following his injury
Vancouver - I think they're a team in decline, but benefit from a weak division
Chicago - Goaltending is a huge concern come playoff time, but I think they have enough up-front to beat a Lidstrom-less Wings and overrated Blues
Detroit - obviously losing Lidstrom hurts, but I love their depth (if Babcock actually plays the youngsters)
St. Louis - I do think their goaltending is going to regress to the mean this season, but they're still a solid team top to bottom especially if Tarasenko delivers
Nashville - losing Suter hurts, but I always felt he benefited more from playing with Weber than vice versa.  Rest of the team looks solid still.
Anaheim - statistically it seems almost impossible Getzlaf is as bad as he was last season, and a healthy Hiller helps a ton
Minnesota - despite the additions, I don't think they're any more than a bubble team.  I could easily see San Jose, or Phoenix (I think Mike Smith regresses in a big way) here.

I've got Stamkos winning the Hart (and hopefully making a historic run at 50-in-48, as unlikely as it is), Rinne the Vezina, and Boucher getting the Jack Adams.

Bold prediction:  Ruff actually sticks with line combinations for an extended period of time and chemistry develops.

#25 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

View Postsabres4life19, on 18 January 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

i see us battling for the 5-9 seeds. too young down the middle but i feel this is a very different team than weve seen in years past

this is exactly where i am. there are some nice pieces on this team, but they lack reliable, proven talent at center. and while he is my favorite sabre to watch, i don't think ennis will hold up at that position, even in this shortened season. he may ultimately become more durable and able to play center with consistency (a la briere), but i don't think he's there right now. (i hope i am wrong.)

9.  Sabres will stumble out the gate and have a losing record after the first ten.  They will get better as the season goes on and will be chasing a 7-8 spot.

so you're saying no playoffs? i think it's going to take 54-56 to make the playoffs. 49 may get you the 10-slot.

#26 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Miller will have a patchy start and a stellar finish
Enroth will be good

Sulzer will be much less effective than last year
Brennan and Weber will be in and out of the lineup; neither will prove he belongs.
Because the Sabres are in the hunt, Leopold will not be traded at the deadline. In the summer, he will walk for no return.
Sekera will continue to be one of the best contracts in the league. Posters will want to trade him anyway.
Regehr will be a plus player.
Myers will take while to get going, but will be a monster down the stretch.
Ehrhoff will rediscover his power play magic and be our most consistent defenceman.

Scott will do nothing all year except pound the ###### out of a Bruin. We will commission a statue in his honour.
McCormick will be an afterthought.
Kaleta wil get hurt (duh)
Hecht will be reliable as a tenth forward. Fans will rip Lindy for relying on him.
Gerbe will look a lot more like the Gerbe of two years ago
So will Leino (like The 2011-12 Leino, not the 2011-12 Gerbe)
Ott will become many people's favourite Sabre
Sabres will keep Grigorenko past his five-game limit, then have him spend a lot of time in the press box or fourth line anyway.
Stafford will be headed for his best season ever then get hurt
Foligno will go through a lengthy goal drought and lose his second-line spot to Hecht
Ennis will lead the team in scoring
Pominville will be close behind and remain the team's best and most underappreciated player
Hodgson will be a legitimate second-line centre, but fail to win over the doubters, who will want more Grigs.
Vanek will score 20, play injured and make several Vanek faces.

The team will be slightly better than last year, they make the playoffs and challenge for the division lead because the Bruins will disappoint.
If they win the division they will lose in the first round. But as a lower seed they will win a round as an underdog, before bowing out in the second round.

Edited by dudacek, 18 January 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#27 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,616 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 18 January 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

this is exactly where i am. there are some nice pieces on this team, but they lack reliable, proven talent at center. and while he is my favorite sabre to watch, i don't think ennis will hold up at that position, even in this shortened season. he may ultimately become more durable and able to play center with consistency (a la briere), but i don't think he's there right now. (i hope i am wrong.)

so you're saying no playoffs? i think it's going to take 54-56 to make the playoffs. 49 may get you the 10-slot.

I think they are going to be within sniffing range.  I think the traditional 93 (54 pts in 48 games) point line will be lower this year as most teams will bumble and stumble early getting their act together.  Add to that basically 1 more game each week and I see ALL teams struggling to put consistent win streaks together.

Edited by wjag, 18 January 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#28 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

View Postdudacek, on 18 January 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Vanek will score 20, play injured and make several Vanek faces.

If by several, you mean several hundred, then I agree.  Figure ~25 shifts per game, and 48 games, you're looking at at least 1200 :P

#29 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Grigorenko makes the team
they will be in a tight battle at the end for 2nd in the division
6 seed in playoffs
top 5 penalty kill in the league

#30 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,616 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 18 January 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Philly - defense and goaltending questions once again hold them back (although I think Bryz has a good year)

Talked to a Philly fan co-worker of mine..  He says Bryz is getting "blown up" in the KHL.. He was thinking Philly was just the type of team to go after Luongo.

10K posts..  Nice way to start the new season.

Edited by wjag, 18 January 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#31 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

View Postwjag, on 18 January 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

Talked to a Philly fan co-worker of mine..  He says Bryz is getting "blown up" in the KHL.. He was thinking Philly was just the type of team to go after Luongo.

10K posts..  Nice way to start the new season.

Haha, well, wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.  Despite his atrocious start last year, his season numbers ended up right around his career averages.  My definition of him having a good year is hitting near those averages with more consistency, rather than a terrible stretch-great stretch average.

Grats on the 10k!

#32 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

I see the Sabres doing anything from winning it all to not making the playoffs at this point. The most likely though is a 4th to 6th finish and being eliminated in the 2nd round after 6 or 7 games.

The lineup will mostly stay together and Grigo has a respectable rookie season with 10 goals and 20 assists between the 3rd line with Ott and Leino and the PP. Vanek Hodgson and Pommers play well with (G/A) 23/20, 12/30, 15/30 respectively. Ott gets 20 points and Leino gets 8 goals. The Ennis Stafford and Foligno line come out of the gate hot but cool off by April. 11/20, 9/23, 13/23 respectively. Hecht gets 4 goals and 6 assists, Kaleta gets 2 goals and 4 assists, Gerbe gets 2 goals and 5 assists and Scott gets a goal ( :) )

The Defensive Corp is bolstered by having fresh legs and rookie season-esc Myers.

Regehr 3/8
Myers 6/20
Erhoff 8/20
Leopold 4/10
Weber 2/5
Brennan 5/10
Sulzer 3/10
Sekera 3/10

#33 eball

eball

Unabashed Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

5th seed sounds about right.  Myers has big bounceback year.  Hodgson top three in scoring on team.

In the playoffs, anything can happen.

#34 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Prognostications:

1, Kaleta will break his hand grabbing a puck out of mid air
2. Grigs will be sent down at some point in this season.
3. Hechts will bounce around from line to line with no permanent home.
4. The line of Ennis, Stafford and Foligno will not make it through 15 games before being broken up.
6.  Enroth will get eight games
7.  Ott will be a fan favorite and will lead the team in PIMS edging out Kaleta
8.  Scott will not fight a single Bruin

Well done

#35 BarDown

BarDown

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Cup

#36 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,959 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 18 January 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

LA - they look loaded for another run on paper, and I think the lockout helps them avoid a Cup hangover.  Big question is how sharp Quick will be following his injury
Vancouver - I think they're a team in decline, but benefit from a weak division

Off all the posts, this stuck with me, so I thought I'd bring it up: weak division or not, this is a bit generous for Vancouver don't you think?  From what I hav e been reading, their forward lines are all a mess.  They only really have one scoring line to start the season, and that situation could last a while.  And while Luongo may be motivated to play well, I think the cloud surrounding him will be too thick to play at a level that will give the Canuck's single scoring line a chance to win games.

Perhaps a team like Vancouver could deal with these challenges over the length of a regular season, but I think they will suffer thanks to the shortened season.

Not trying to take you to the woodshed, rather I just thought it was an interesting predicition to discuss.

#37 Derrico

Derrico

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Wow, nice to see the Sabres fans with the glass half full.  I'm thinking we will battling somewhere in that 6-10 range but I'm optimistic we get the job done.  Other than Toronto, possibly Montreal and the Islanders, there are no teams that we play where I'll think oh we should win this one pretty easily.  The way the Isles handle us I rarely say that anymore.  Having said that, I'm predicting a 7th place finish and give the #1 seed a real run for thier money if not a full upset.

#38 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 18 January 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Off all the posts, this stuck with me, so I thought I'd bring it up: weak division or not, this is a bit generous for Vancouver don't you think?  From what I hav e been reading, their forward lines are all a mess.  They only really have one scoring line to start the season, and that situation could last a while.  And while Luongo may be motivated to play well, I think the cloud surrounding him will be too thick to play at a level that will give the Canuck's single scoring line a chance to win games.

Perhaps a team like Vancouver could deal with these challenges over the length of a regular season, but I think they will suffer thanks to the shortened season.

Not trying to take you to the woodshed, rather I just thought it was an interesting predicition to discuss.

No offense taken, and I agree with everything you said about them.  Maybe they finish 3rd in the conference, but still, I don't see any team beating them out for the division.  I think Minnesota is going to be overrated because of their splashy offseason, but there will be an adjustment period and they weren't very good last year.  I think Edmonton is going to be really good at some point, I just don't think it's this year (so much inexperience, major goaltending and D questions), although I expect them to be very exciting to watch.  Calgary is awful.  The Avs intrigue me, but without O'Reilly, I can't see them making a real push at the division.  It's basically the Canucks by default IMO, in spite of all of their flaws.

#39 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 18 January 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Not to mention the Wild are hardly weak, and Edmonton could be really interesting.
I don't think the Canucks will miss the playoffs, but they are one team that really could be victimized by this sprint season.

#40 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

55 points second in Northeast 6th in East.

And this year we do it. First round, sweep the Lightnings, then 4:1 Flyers, 4:3 Boston game 7 2. overtime: Hecht scores, and finally the cup with a 4:2 against Chicago.

The cup comes home.

please do not wake me up ;)