Jump to content


Sabres Trade Rumor


  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 SabresBillsBraves

SabresBillsBraves

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr
More on #LAKings plans: VERY INTERESTED IN GOMEZ! Plan to trade Stoll for Leopold or Sekera+pick IF they get Gomez to sign in LA. #Sabres

This makes no sense to me. If we are going to trade for a C, it better be a true #1. Stoll is garbage and this would make no sense at all, now that we have signed Hecht.

#2 Moulson26

Moulson26

    Blood and Guts

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,686 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

HockeyyInsiderr is still tweeting? smh

#3 SabresBillsBraves

SabresBillsBraves

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

View PostVanek-Man, on 17 January 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

HockeyyInsiderr is still tweeting? smh

Ya, tell me about it, but its something to talk about i guess. Still makes no sense..

#4 DontPatTheGerbe

DontPatTheGerbe

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

I hope it's just that, a rumor.  I had never heard of Stoll before but he doesn't look that great on paper since looking up his stats.

#5 Punch

Punch

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Aaah, HockeyyInsiderr. This really takes me back to August 2012.

Hockey is definitely back.

#6 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

View PostPunch, on 17 January 2013 - 11:35 PM, said:

Aaah, HockeyyInsiderr. This really takes me back to August 2012.

Hockey is definitely back.

Yes, yes it is

#7 inkman

inkman

    Fledgling Member of TSC

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,945 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fairport

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

It's taking every fiber of my being to not unload 40 f-bombs in this thread.   Thank you Liger.

#8 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,206 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western NY

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Haha I had someone on my timeline retweet this clown this afternoon as he was going on about the Sabres and Stoll. I was hoping he'd faded away by now. In theory it makes sense.................well, not really. I mean yea the Sabres have a lot of defensemen to figure out what to do with, but it's not like we have a whole lot of room at forward either. Especially with Hecht back in the fold and Grigorenko potentially making the roster -- it's almost a "good" thing that Tropp is out for the season because based on his play last year, he'd be in line for a roster spot too. So simply put, we don't really have room for Stoll, and with now THREE young centerman who project to develop into #1/2 centers, I'm not sure how high center is on our list of priorities anymore.

#9 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

View Postthesportsbuff, on 18 January 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

Haha I had someone on my timeline retweet this clown this afternoon as he was going on about the Sabres and Stoll. I was hoping he'd faded away by now. In theory it makes sense.................well, not really. I mean yea the Sabres have a lot of defensemen to figure out what to do with, but it's not like we have a whole lot of room at forward either. Especially with Hecht back in the fold and Grigorenko potentially making the roster -- it's almost a "good" thing that Tropp is out for the season because based on his play last year, he'd be in line for a roster spot too. So simply put, we don't really have room for Stoll, and with now THREE young centerman who project to develop into #1/2 centers, I'm not sure how high center is on our list of priorities anymore.

Here's my prediction......someone please hold me to it......if Ennis, Hodgson, Grigs and Hecht are your 4 centers.......by game 20, 3 of the 4 will have missed games due to injury and at least 2 will be hurt for 3 consecutive games minnimum.

#10 Moulson26

Moulson26

    Blood and Guts

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,686 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 18 January 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

Here's my prediction......someone please hold me to it......if Ennis, Hodgson, Grigs and Hecht are your 4 centers.......by game 20, 3 of the 4 will have missed games due to injury and at least 2 will be hurt for 3 consecutive games minnimum.

Good thing for Matt Ellis.

#11 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,206 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western NY

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 18 January 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

Here's my prediction......someone please hold me to it......if Ennis, Hodgson, Grigs and Hecht are your 4 centers.......by game 20, 3 of the 4 will have missed games due to injury and at least 2 will be hurt for 3 consecutive games minnimum.

It's a valid concern, but I just think we have too many forwards on the roster and on the brink of making the roster for a "Stoll for Leopold" trade. Also, I know Ott is playing wing now, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing down the middle. You also have McCormick and Leino who allegedly can at least "sort-of" play center if it came to it.

We have several "bottom six" forwards who can take play center. Granted none of them bring what Stoll brings to the table, but I just don't see a depth center as a large organizational need overall anymore.

As for the Hodgson/Ennis/Grigorenko situation.. imo none of them are third line centers, so I'm not sure how the Sabres will handle this. I heard Grigorenko is/was playing in a third-line type role in camp w/ Ott and Leino, so maybe he will continue that role in the NHL, but Ruff has a lot of options. I'm not saying I would do it, but you could feasibly put Ennis back on the wing if Grigorenko impresses enough to warrant the move. I believe it was Kris Baker who said on WGR on last week that Grigorenko was one of the first players in a long time that he can't envision playing the wing. He said he was too natural of a center for a coach to to "ease him in" on the wing.

#12 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:BUFFALO

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

i wouldnt mind a stoll for leopold trade. From what I understand Stoll can fill in on top 6 for a spell and he could force Hecht to the 4th line center and I seem to recall alot of people here saying how you can never have to many centers

View Postthesportsbuff, on 18 January 2013 - 01:58 AM, said:


As for the Hodgson/Ennis/Grigorenko situation.. imo none of them are third line centers, so I'm not sure how the Sabres will handle this. I heard Grigorenko is/was playing in a third-line type role in camp w/ Ott and Leino, so maybe he will continue that role in the NHL, but Ruff has a lot of options. I'm not saying I would do it, but you could feasibly put Ennis back on the wing if Grigorenko impresses enough to warrant the move. I believe it was Kris Baker who said on WGR on last week that Grigorenko was one of the first players in a long time that he can't envision playing the wing. He said he was too natural of a center for a coach to to "ease him in" on the wing.
I don't see thous 3 playing your typical 3rd line role. I see them being more of a hybrid do everything line

#13 Heimdall

Heimdall

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brussels, Belgium

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

Not happening with Kopitar still out, can't see LA dumping a center.

#14 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

    The 'd' is silent

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Horseheads

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

Why doesn't this go in the trade ideas thread, considering it's from a garbage tweet that makes no sense?

#15 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,393 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

BamBam 2.0

#16 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

    #39 - Greatest of All-Time.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,315 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

Jarrett Stoll is a Steve Ott type player. Gritty forward that would give the Sabres more size and toughness up the middle. You're not getting him for Leopold. Sekera? Maybe.

#17 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Holly Springs, NC via Hamburg, NY

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

:rolleyes:

#18 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,710 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, NY/Apex, NC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 18 January 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

BamBam 2.0

You beat me to it.

#19 inkman

inkman

    Fledgling Member of TSC

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,945 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fairport

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostDeLuca67, on 18 January 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

Jarrett Stoll is a Steve Ott type player. Gritty forward that would give the Sabres more size and toughness up the middle. You're not getting him for Leopold. Sekera? Maybe.
:beer:

#20 Lanny

Lanny

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

View Postthesportsbuff, on 18 January 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

Haha I had someone on my timeline retweet this clown this afternoon as he was going on about the Sabres and Stoll. I was hoping he'd faded away by now. In theory it makes sense.................well, not really. I mean yea the Sabres have a lot of defensemen to figure out what to do with, but it's not like we have a whole lot of room at forward either. Especially with Hecht back in the fold and Grigorenko potentially making the roster -- it's almost a "good" thing that Tropp is out for the season because based on his play last year, he'd be in line for a roster spot too. So simply put, we don't really have room for Stoll, and with now THREE young centerman who project to develop into #1/2 centers, I'm not sure how high center is on our list of priorities anymore.
Stoll just resigned this past offseason, seems odd that they'd trade him before playing 1 game on his new contract.

They could make room however by sending Ellis to Rochester when either Gerbe or McCormick come back, also Grigorenko still has to make the team.

Edited by Lanny, 18 January 2013 - 08:42 AM.


#21 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,631 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western New York

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostSabresBillsBraves, on 17 January 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr
More on #LAKings plans: VERY INTERESTED IN GOMEZ! Plan to trade Stoll for Leopold or Sekera+pick IF they get Gomez to sign in LA. #Sabres

This makes no sense to me. If we are going to trade for a C, it better be a true #1. Stoll is garbage and this would make no sense at all, now that we have signed Hecht.
I don't think Stoll is going anywhere, and he may be overpaid, but he is not "garbage".

#22 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,887 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

Who can listen to trade rumors from a 17 year old kid from Montreal?

#23 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,393 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 18 January 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

Who can listen to trade rumors from a 17 year old kid from Montreal?

Someone who likes a basketball team that Buffalo ignored to death?

#24 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

    Commander of the Armies of the North

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostHeimdall, on 18 January 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

Not happening with Kopitar still out, can't see LA dumping a center.
The key is that the deal only gets made IF they can land Gomez. LA dumps a centre after picking up one on what can probably end up being a little more then the veteran minimum (or at the most $1-2 mil), and they get a defencemen in return

#25 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 18 January 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

Who can listen to trade rumors from a 17 year old kid from Montreal?

I thought qwksndmonster said he moved back home from Montreal?

#26 Falstaff

Falstaff

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Location:Philly

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

I realize this is 99% bupkus BUT Jarret Stoll would be a coup for this team.  He's a legit gritty centerman that we currently lack. He is good on the dot, he kills penalties, he can put the puck in the net a bit.  He's an element we don't have.  Now, he's expensive for what he does which could be why swapping him for Gomez could make sense for LA.

As a plus, he hangs out with people like Erin Andrews and Paulina Gretzky so he's got that going for him...which is nice...  T-Pegs' daughters might need to have a Lojack installed, but that's OK.

#27 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostDeLuca67, on 18 January 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

Jarrett Stoll is a Steve Ott type player. Gritty forward that would give the Sabres more size and toughness up the middle.

View PostFalstaff, on 18 January 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

He's a legit gritty centerman that we currently lack. He is good on the dot, he kills penalties, he can put the puck in the net a bit.

If people haven't put it together yet, he's Paul Gaustad with about 50% more offensive production and 50% more grit (if we're counting hits, he's 13th in hits in the league).  Seeing how he now makes the same salary as Gaustad, he might bring a little more for the money.

IF the Kings could spend less than $1.5M on Gomez, it might be worth it for them to move Stoll.  Their D line could use a bolster after the top few guys- Sekera would be an immediate upgrade over Alec Martinez.

FWIW, the Kings fans like Stoll, but they're fickle about stardom.  This is defintely not a case where the fans hated on Jack Johnson so much the team put him in Columbus.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 18 January 2013 - 12:58 PM.


#28 wjag

wjag

    Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,616 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just below the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 18 January 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

If people haven't put it together yet, he's Paul Gaustad with about 50% more offensive production and 50% more grit (if we're counting hits, he's 13th in hits in the league).  Seeing how he now makes the same salary as Gaustad, he might bring a little more for the money.

IF the Kings could spend less than $1.5M on Gomez, it might be worth it for them to move Stoll.  Their D line could use a bolster after the top few guys- Sekera would be an immediate upgrade over Alec Martinez.

FWIW, the Kings fans like Stoll, but they're fickle about stardom.  This is defintely not a case where the fans hated on Jack Johnson so much the team put him in Columbus.

Stoll would improve FO% on this team which could be historically low with the current crop of Centers.

#29 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

    Expert Lurker

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 18 January 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

If people haven't put it together yet, he's Paul Gaustad with about 50% more offensive production and 50% more grit (if we're counting hits, he's 13th in hits in the league).  Seeing how he now makes the same salary as Gaustad, he might bring a little more for the money.

IF the Kings could spend less than $1.5M on Gomez, it might be worth it for them to move Stoll.  Their D line could use a bolster after the top few guys- Sekera would be an immediate upgrade over Alec Martinez.

FWIW, the Kings fans like Stoll, but they're fickle about stardom.  This is defintely not a case where the fans hated on Jack Johnson so much the team put him in Columbus.
It would certainly give us a faceoff specialist and more gritty play that inkman has been asking for (although not in the top 6). If it is for Sekera we would lose the youth potential on defense for a forward upgrade.

#30 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie
LAK were another Western team interested in Redden as well.

You could say that cools the market a little when you have D to sell, but I think this is better news for a potential move.
1) The D we have to offer in trade are better than Redden.
2) The "stronger" rumor is that Redden is on his way to StL:
Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie
Eastern Conference team interested in UFA Wade Redden was told he's going to West. All the speculation is on STL. Decision expected soon.

3) It all but confirms LA's interest in acquiring D.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 18 January 2013 - 01:17 PM.


#31 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Yep, and there goes Redden.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie
Well, there it is. Wade Redden a STL Blue. Hearing 1 year deal, $800K base salary with GP bonuses that could make it $1M total.

#32 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

    The 'd' is silent

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Horseheads

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 18 January 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

Who can listen to trade rumors from a 17 year old kid from Montreal?

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 18 January 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

I thought qwksndmonster said he moved back home from Montreal?

I'm so confused. And American.  And 19.

#33 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Was Brennan traded? Not on Sabres roster listing.

#34 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 18 January 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

I'm so confused. And American.  And 19.

Did you forget your sarcasm meter in Montreal.

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 18 January 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

Was Brennan traded? Not on Sabres roster listing.

They are pretty slow over at sabres.com ... they only added Hecht to the roster this afternoon.

#35 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,471 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 18 January 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

Was Brennan traded? Not on Sabres roster listing.

Still listed as "in the system"

#36 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 18 January 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Still listed as "in the system"

So, he's still being *programmed*, or *reprogrammed*.

#37 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 18 January 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Still listed as "in the system"

thanks

damn "system"

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 18 January 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

So, he's still being *programmed*, or *reprogrammed*.

Haha!

Beat me to it!

#38 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

    The 'd' is silent

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Horseheads

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 18 January 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

Did you forget your sarcasm meter in Montreal.
:doh:

Nope, just my reading comprehension.

#39 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

View Postinkman, on 18 January 2013 - 12:25 AM, said:

It's taking every fiber of my being to not unload 40 f-bombs in this thread.   Thank you Liger.
dont thank me even I think this "rumor" is 9ull$h!t.

#40 djp14150

djp14150

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostHeimdall, on 18 January 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

Not happening with Kopitar still out, can't see LA dumping a center.

Not true.....

Kopitars injury isnt that serious.

There is a bigger injury they have with one of their top 6 d-men that looks to be for the year  so Leopold is someone they would like because he only his contract for this year.

Getting Stoll....I dont see that.  I am not sure of his contract status....butt he doesnt fit what Buffalo would want.  I would rather make a move for someone like Brown.