37 replies to this topic

#1 NNYSABRESMAN

NNYSABRESMAN

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

As glad as I am to have hockey coming back and plan on watching the games, I still have a real rotten taste in my mouth over the whole lockout deal. Has anybody else out there come up with a viable form of protest to let the league, team and players know their displeasure.   I  have decided that I won't be buying any Sabre's merchandise this year and won't be making the trip to B-LO to watch any games in person, but some how feel this really does not effect the NHL and NHLPA as much as it does the team that I care about. Any thoughts to easy my worried mind?

#2 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,107 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

There are a number of us who have pledged to ourselves not to buy any merch this year.  Not going to games is a bridge too far for many.  But not buying merchandise is easy.

#3 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

I'm with you on this. I can't really do anything to personally make the league feel some pain for the discomfort they've caused me. I won't be buying anything they market. Probably for a long time. I don't often get the chance to travel to Buffalo( never ) but boycotting a Sabres game given the chance to do so would only hurt the team I love and support not necessarily the league as a whole. If I were to decide against travelling to Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton to watch them play It would end up hurting those teams Minutely but the Sabres don't play there this year anyways. But I do feel the need to let the league know that I'm not happy with what has happened this season. Just not sure how. My feeling is they would simply brush me off like some bothersome gnat and have a good laugh at my expense amongst themselves as they enjoy their 1000 dollar a night hookers and high grade  peruvian flake. Sucks to be the little guy with no voice. :doh:

Edited by bunomatic, 08 January 2013 - 11:41 PM.

#4 NNYSABRESMAN

NNYSABRESMAN

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Unfortunately of the three major sports I follow, MLB,NFL, and NHL. its hockey that I just can't walk away from. if its on I watch it and I'm sure to be watching next weekend. just wish I didn't have to feel so cheap and sleezy about it. GO BUFFALO!

#5 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,245 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

Happiness comes from within.

#6 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

View PostSwampD, on 09 January 2013 - 01:04 AM, said:

Happiness comes from within.

So does Travis Henry.....

#7 ROC_EMT

ROC_EMT

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

While it's a symbolic gesture at best, figure out who the larger corporate sponsors of the NHL are i.e. official airline, official beer, or some other nonsense and write them a letter explaining you won't be patronizing them and why.  Let them know your displeasure.  And really boycott their product if you can.  It won't do much but it may give you some satisfaction.

I wouldn't do that to the local businesses who support the Sabres though.

#8 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

Maybe just sign at the game "not happy"

#9 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

I'm boycotting the Canes games.

#10 gohansrage

gohansrage

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 09 January 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

So does Travis Henry.....

I just need you to know that this post did not go unlaughed at.  Well done.

#11 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

There won't be any such protest in Buffalo, and other than a few signs in arenas, probably not in any other NHL cities.  "The sheep remain inside their pen though many times they've seen the way to leave." Now that Ted Black and Ryan Miller have both issued apologies to Sabre fans, all is forgiven. In fact, I expect that on the day of the home opener next week, there will be a double rainbow over First Niagara Center and scores of songbirds will chirp happily in the bare trees outside. Lockout?  What lockout?

#12 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Maybe just a sign "The sheep are back".

#13 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 09 January 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

Maybe just a sign "The sheep are back".

anyone who has their season tix in the 300s and takes the escalator down after the game, knows the feeling of being herded.

#14 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Would be nice to see empty arenas at every teams home opener, Fill the streets outside the arena with fans holding signs against the players and owners. That would send a message but never happen.
Would also be nice to see all the arena workers and other staff that were out of work for the lockout stage a one game walkout to express their displeasure, but again will never happen
Personally, I would say that everyone in the arena should Boo when the teams are announced coming out of the lockerrooms to start the games (I would add throwing stuff on the ice, but that may go too far), but again that won't happen either

Some fans will be lost, but the majority of the sheep will come right back with the attitude of all is forgiven because you came back and can continue to take my money and entertain me for a little while. The players and owners know this, so they issue an "apology" to the fans, and will say thank you on the ice, maybe give out a shiney trinket at the home opener (Last time they gave out mini NHL Stanley Cups as you left the arena), and everyones happy.

you will never get enough people to go along with any kind of large scale protest because the sheep will never play along, unless you could do it in the form of a "Flash Mob", people seem to love getting into those things

#15 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,245 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

The NHL doesn't take my money.  I give it to them.  They have a product I want.  I couldn't get it for a while.  Now I can.  I'm happy.  If that makes me a sheep then,.. baaaah.

I kinda think the people who are complaining like someone stole their binky are more the sheep.

#16 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,897 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Well I don't need to buy anything NHL related. I would like to but I am not given them my money.  As far as watching games, if they do not make Center Ice or Gamecenter available for free I still will not be paying to view games...

#17 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostSwampD, on 09 January 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

The NHL doesn't take my money. I give it to them. They have a product I want. I couldn't get it for a while. Now I can. I'm happy. If that makes me a sheep then,.. baaaah.

I kinda think the people who are complaining like someone stole their binky are more the sheep.

Yeah, I don't get it. Hockey is entertainment,

#18 johnyvegas

johnyvegas

That's unpossible

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I think something should happen. I thought that a simple display would be the best.  Something like after the anthem everyone stays standing and turns their backs to the game for the first 5 minutes or we all leave our seats and head to the hallways for the opening 10.  While it wouldn't hurt anyone's bottom line, it would be a pretty dramatic statement, especially if it happened across the league. Oh and also.. no merch for me either this year just for good measure.

#19 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

So for those that say "Its entertainment, I will come back as if nothing happened", do you get mad or complain about players/coaches/GMs when the team plays poorly? I mean, its just entertainment, why would you be upset?

The issue that most have with what happened is that it is entertainment, and the entertainment was taken away because they needed to argue over how to divide the money that we give them for this entertainment. We the consumers are what make their industry possible, and they show now respect to us and just expect that we will come crawling back to them to give them more of our money because they have given us our entertainment back. The point of an form of protest against the league is to show that you as a consummer of their product/entertainment are not happy that they do not respect the people that pay for their product and that we the consummers are not improtant to them

#20 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

I'm happy.  I get to watch all the games but my Center Ice subscription will be lower.

#21 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,107 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Did they announce whether Gamecenter would be free?  Rumor was that it might be.  If they do that, I will see it as a sign of remorse.

#22 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

The NHL doesn't take my money.  I give it to them.  They have a product I want.  I couldn't get it for a while.  Now I can.  I'm happy.  If that makes me a sheep then,.. baaaah.

The NHL had something I wanted, too.  They withheld it for three months for their own selfish reasons.  I'm now returning the favor.  I'm glad you are happy to have your binky back.

I won't be protesting in any way, shape or form.  I've been living my life NHL-free since June and will continue to do so.  If that makes ME a sheep, then baa-aa-aa...

Edited by Sabre Dance, 09 January 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#23 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

View PostEleven, on 09 January 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

Did they announce whether Gamecenter would be free?  Rumor was that it might be.  If they do that, I will see it as a sign of remorse.

The only thing Bettman said is that they're thinking of something but won't say anything until after the CBA is ratified.

#24 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 09 January 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

The only thing Bettman said is that they're thinking of something but won't say anything until after the CBA is ratified.
well the Leafs let their apology/thank you to the fans slip out earlier today with the firing of Burke
Wonder what the rest of the league will do?

#25 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I would love to see every sign in the FnC say the same thing for opening night

The cake is a lie

#26 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

I'm boycotting all home games.

#27 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

View Postdrnkirishone, on 09 January 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

I would love to see every sign in the FnC say the same thing for opening night

The cake is a lie
Yeah! With our Portal reference rendered upon them they'll totally be sorry! Wait... what?

#28 OverPowerYou

OverPowerYou

And Ottawa Must BE Destroyed...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

All I have to say is those were the two and half most miserable, depressing, dull and least exciting months of my life. I'm still kind of numb to the idea of hockey just all of the sudden being played. I think it will take me about 2 minutes into the first period of the opening game to get back into it and forget what occurred in the lockout.

#29 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,107 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 09 January 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

I'm boycotting all away games.

#30 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

From my point of view, the only REAL damage done as a result of the lockout is collateral- Joe bartender, Jane shop owner, and Bob stadium beer salesman who make extra bucks when the Sabres are playing.

The rest of it, this idea of being cheated by not getting to watch a sport is imaginary to me.  Maybe some folks feel disrespected or offended by it, by the crassness of it, disgusted from listening to millionaires argue billionaires.  I don't; to me it's a labor issue.  It's business.  Unfortunately, it's part of the sports industry, at least until they sign a 100 year CBA, and I accept this.  I'll remember all of the sniveling and money-grubbing, and that'll reflect on how I view the individuals involved, but that doesn't tarnish the sport to me.  I still love hockey at its highest level.

Will I boycott?  Nope.  Rebel?  Nah.

Instead, I'll keep in mind that Joe, Jane, and Bob only got paid for a 48 game season.  Maybe I'll tip Joe a little more.  Maybe I'll buy that extra Sabres hat from Jane.  Maybe grab that extra tallboy of Blue from Bob.  I think they'd need it more and appreciate it more than anyone would if I left an empty seat in FNC.

#31 gregkash

gregkash

4th line Ice, 1st line Heart.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

I feel like if it were up to specifically the Sabres, and specifically Terry Pegula, there would have never of been a lockout. So I find it hard to hold a 1/30 team accountable for something really came down to Jeremy Jacobs.

#32 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 09 January 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

So for those that say "Its entertainment, I will come back as if nothing happened", do you get mad or complain about players/coaches/GMs when the team plays poorly? I mean, its just entertainment, why would you be upset?

The issue that most have with what happened is that it is entertainment, and the entertainment was taken away because they needed to argue over how to divide the money that we give them for this entertainment. We the consumers are what make their industry possible, and they show now respect to us and just expect that we will come crawling back to them to give them more of our money because they have given us our entertainment back. The point of an form of protest against the league is to show that you as a consummer of their product/entertainment are not happy that they do not respect the people that pay for their product and that we the consummers are not improtant to them

I don't get that upset, and honestly, don't understand those that get upset or go too overboard with the exhuberance either. Now, complaining... That is part of the entertainment, no?

#33 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,245 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

View Postweave, on 10 January 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

I don't get that upset, and honestly, don't understand those that get upset or go too overboard with the exhuberance either. Now, complaining... That is part of the entertainment, no?
I'll add to this.  Not only do I get upset when they play poorly, but I was upset and mad about the lockout as well, buncha greedy children!  But guess what, it's over and I'm over it,.. they don't owe me a damn thing because of it.

Now let's see some hockey! :thumbsup:

#34 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 10 January 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

From my point of view, the only REAL damage done as a result of the lockout is collateral- Joe bartender, Jane shop owner, and Bob stadium beer salesman who make extra bucks when the Sabres are playing.

The rest of it, this idea of being cheated by not getting to watch a sport is imaginary to me.  Maybe some folks feel disrespected or offended by it, by the crassness of it, disgusted from listening to millionaires argue billionaires.  I don't; to me it's a labor issue.  It's business.  Unfortunately, it's part of the sports industry, at least until they sign a 100 year CBA, and I accept this.  I'll remember all of the sniveling and money-grubbing, and that'll reflect on how I view the individuals involved, but that doesn't tarnish the sport to me.  I still love hockey at its highest level.

Will I boycott?  Nope.  Rebel?  Nah.

Instead, I'll keep in mind that Joe, Jane, and Bob only got paid for a 48 game season.  Maybe I'll tip Joe a little more.  Maybe I'll buy that extra Sabres hat from Jane.  Maybe grab that extra tallboy of Blue from Bob.  I think they'd need it more and appreciate it more than anyone would if I left an empty seat in FNC.

I like the sentiment.  Actually, the main reason the lockout "offended" me is that the bartenders, restaurant owners and arena workers got shortchanged.  My co-worker's daughter works at the FNC as a waitress and was planning on using that extra money to buy Christmas presents.  Obviously, that extra money wound up being zero.
Yeah, I know NHL hockey is business and that we all knew of the forthcoming labor issue last summer. I just think it was very bad publicity for a league that is still struggling to get higher ratings on TV than soccer. (Or maybe all the exposure on the news WAS good publicity.)
In any event, little of this CB foolishness impacted my life. I went to work, I had dinner with friends and I watched a lot of bad TV. All it has done is erode my enthusiasm for what I once thought was the greatest sport in the world.  If the NHL and the players can live with that (and they certainly can), so can I.  'Nuff said.

#35 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,514 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Some people just want to watch hockey.  Others want to come up with some sort of way to protest, even though no one's listening.  Both will do what they want to do.  There are no sheep anywhere in all of this.  The only people who I would even consider calling sheep during this whole process were the ones who were constantly glued to the media, drooling over every word they said.  The media is the true group who has the wool pulled over people's eyes.

#36 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,897 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 09 January 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

View PostEleven, on 09 January 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

I'm boycotting all away games.
I'm Boycotting all home and away games... beat that :flirt:

Seriously though I know my minor protest (not getting center ice or buying merch) will not do anything, but if the NHL does not want to respect me by starting the season on time then I will not be gracing them with any of my money.  I figure the lockout was 113 days and its the 3rd lockout in my lifetime so 113 x 3 = 339 days of not spending money on these c#*!mongers

#37 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 10 January 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

I'm Boycotting all home and away games... beat that :flirt:

Seriously though I know my minor protest (not getting center ice or buying merch) will not do anything, but if the NHL does not want to respect me by starting the season on time then I will not be gracing them with any of my money.  I figure the lockout was 113 days and its the 3rd lockout in my lifetime so 113 x 3 = 339 days of not spending money on these c#*!mongers

The previous lockout was 365 days. :)

#38 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,897 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

View PostMattPie, on 10 January 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

The previous lockout was 365 days. :)
and it was the 2nd lockout so 2x365= 730 days of not spending money on them! lol no but this time I plan to at least stick to my no money plan until next season.