Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

#2 Neo

Neo

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

I watched that game on my grandmother's sofa.  I was 12.  I consider it the greatest game in Sabres history.  Thank you for posting.

That game, 12-6 Buffalo, and the Bills 51-3 AFC Championship victory over Oakland, were each great games that were not as close as the scores would indicate!

#3 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,914 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Two things come to mind when I watch this.  I would love to see what these guys would have looked like in today's skates.  Also, the person who first put an organ in an ice rink was a genius.

#4 Neo

Neo

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

I am old school.   Orr and Howe are the best ever, etc.   That said, today's Major Junior teams would beat the 75 Sabres.  I sometimes think I could play goal in '75.   I'd love x and o experts, and this board has plenty, to comment, ignoring the obvious of equipment.

I remember seeing Perreault and Larry Mickey, walking the hallways of the Aud before a practice, smoking cigarettes.

#5 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,676 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

View PostNeo, on 06 January 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

I watched that game on my grandmother's sofa.  I was 12.  I consider it the greatest game in Sabres history.  Thank you for posting.

That game, 12-6 Buffalo, and the Bills 51-3 AFC Championship victory over Oakland, were each great games that were not as close as the scores would indicate!

The 51-3 game was not close.  The bills sliced through the raidahs at will.

#6 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

The Sabres greatest moment. Too bad it was in an exhibition game but I guess that's the character of this organization.

#7 nucci

nucci

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

View Post716, on 07 January 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

The Sabres greatest moment. Too bad it was in an exhibition game but I guess that's the character of this organization.
You have to remember the situation back then. Soviets were the evil empire and the enemy and the '72 Summit Series was still pretty fresh in our minds. The intensity leading up to that game was incredible. It was one the most exciting games in Sabres history. Nothing wrong with that.

#8 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

View Postnfreeman, on 06 January 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

The 51-3 game was not close.  The bills sliced through the raidahs at will.

I think you misread that post. :)

#9 tmj79

tmj79

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Awesome game. video, history and reminder!  Great memories... go Buffalo and the Buffalo Sabres!

Edited by tmj79, 08 January 2013 - 05:49 PM.

#10 gohansrage

gohansrage

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

There goes my productivity today

#11 Chris_in_UT

Chris_in_UT

tie-dyer extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

i don't suppose anyone has a copy of the sabres/red army game from 1989 ...? some guy on HFBoards has a dvd of it. now THAT i would like to see, since i was at that game.

#12 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,682 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostChris_in_UT, on 09 January 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

i don't suppose anyone has a copy of the sabres/red army game from 1989 ...? some guy on HFBoards has a dvd of it. now THAT i would like to see, since i was at that game.

6 bucks.  free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/...=item25775fe375

#13 Chris_in_UT

Chris_in_UT

tie-dyer extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

someone also posted it on youtube.

https://www.youtube....d&v=O0fuPSs1QQY

seriously awesome.

#14 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

I had DVR'ed the game, and just watched it this morning.  I have to say, I had tears in my eyes as I was taken for a stroll down memory lane.  The first 5 years or so of the franchise were awesome(I don't think they will ever be matched), the Aud was a great place to watch a game, and Gil Perreault...IMO there will never be a better Sabre.

The only downside to the game...seeing that bum Jacques Richard in a Sabre uniform.  :thumbdown:

#15 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

View Postnucci, on 07 January 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

You have to remember the situation back then. Soviets were the evil empire and the enemy and the '72 Summit Series was still pretty fresh in our minds. The intensity leading up to that game was incredible. It was one the most exciting games in Sabres history. Nothing wrong with that.

I remember the situation well. It was a great win -- I watched it on TV and I was there for the 6-1 game against the Red Army. I was also in the stands the night the Sabres pasted the Washington Capitals 14-2. Pure glory those games but those 3 glory filled events meant all of 2 points in the standings.

I would rather see the Sabres save all the explosions for the end rounds of the playoffs. We've been going on more than 40 years of futility of winning it all. Being a small town doesn't cut it as an excuse. Plenty of small towns win championships. Green Bay for instance. We've had bad management all along. When the lineup was stacked, the various ownerships wouldn't go the extra mile.

So far I'm afraid to say, the Sabres, despite the glory filled exhibition games, have been a high-class punching bag when it comes to fighting for the Stanley Cup.

Edited by 716, 02 February 2013 - 02:01 PM.