20 replies to this topic

#1 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,182 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Foreword by Lindy. But I bought it anyway.

"100 Things Sabres Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die"

Sal wrote a great book about the 72-73 Sabres (long home winning streak, first Sabres playoff team, birth of the Connection, "thank you Sabres" chant at the Aud etc.).

This one... I dunno. I've been skipping around trying to find a story I had never heard. Probably a good book for the casual fan or the new fan, but, really, how many times can you hear about Lorentz swiping the bat, Ted Darling doing a broadcast from his house, Milt Ellis, Rick Jeanneret and so on?

And it's not like he brings much fresh insight into it. I haven't finished yet, though. Maybe I'll find something I had never heard.

He butchers the description of No Goal and he titles the section on the 06-07 team "President's Cup." Otherwise there aren't the glaring mistakes you tend to see in books like this.

A quote from Rob Ray about all the stuff going on behind the scenes in Nolan's last year got me to thinking -- now, that would make a great book. Still waiting for someone to take a journalistic approach to Sabres history, instead of pumping out the company line on everything. 100 Stories the Buffalo Sabres Never Wanted You To Hear

Tough time to put a Sabres book on the market...

#2 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,779 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 18 December 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

Foreword by Lindy. But I bought it anyway.

"100 Things Sabres Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die"

Sal wrote a great book about the 72-73 Sabres (long home winning streak, first Sabres playoff team, birth of the Connection, "thank you Sabres" chant at the Aud etc.).

This one... I dunno. I've been skipping around trying to find a story I had never heard. Probably a good book for the casual fan or the new fan, but, really, how many times can you hear about Lorentz swiping the bat, Ted Darling doing a broadcast from his house, Milt Ellis, Rick Jeanneret and so on?

And it's not like he brings much fresh insight into it. I haven't finished yet, though. Maybe I'll find something I had never heard.

He butchers the description of No Goal and he titles the section on the 06-07 team "President's Cup." Otherwise there aren't the glaring mistakes you tend to see in books like this.

A quote from Rob Ray about all the stuff going on behind the scenes in Nolan's last year got me to thinking -- now, that would make a great book. Still waiting for someone to take a journalistic approach to Sabres history, instead of pumping out the company line on everything. 100 Stories the Buffalo Sabres Never Wanted You To Hear

Tough time to put a Sabres book on the market...
Nothing against Sal, I've got a copy of 'Relentless' and one of these days I'll track down a copy of the follow-up to that and I also own 'Thank you Sabres' which was a good read, but the title gives me little reason to want to own the book.  If you're looking to get the Sabres' fan in your life a Christmas present, I'd either go w/ 'Counsel in the Crease' (which I still need, hint, hint) or 'Then Perreault said to Rico ...'  I think I had that one read cover to cover on the day I got it.  (IMHO that one is MUCH better than 'Then Levy said to Kelly' because Paul Weiland was an insider on much of the book's stories and Jim Gehman wasn't an insider for the Bills stories.  If you're looking for an entertaining Bills read, a great choice is Fred Smerlas' 'By a Nose' (not sure if that's still in print).)

Going off the Sabres reservation, you can't go wrong with Kenny Dryden's 2 books - 'The Game' and 'Home Game.'

Going w/ a more USA Hockey centric theme, 'The Boys of Winter' by Wayne Coffey is a great read about the '80 Olympic team.

#3 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,630 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

View PostTaro T, on 21 December 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

I'd either go w/ 'Counsel in the Crease' (which I still need, hint, hint)

Same. Still want to read it and havn't yet. Heard great things about it though.

#4 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

View PostTaro T, on 21 December 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

Nothing against Sal, I've got a copy of 'Relentless' and one of these days I'll track down a copy of the follow-up to that and I also own 'Thank you Sabres' which was a good read, but the title gives me little reason to want to own the book.  If you're looking to get the Sabres' fan in your life a Christmas present, I'd either go w/ 'Counsel in the Crease' (which I still need, hint, hint) or 'Then Perreault said to Rico ...'  I think I had that one read cover to cover on the day I got it.  (IMHO that one is MUCH better than 'Then Levy said to Kelly' because Paul Weiland was an insider on much of the book's stories and Jim Gehman wasn't an insider for the Bills stories.  If you're looking for an entertaining Bills read, a great choice is Fred Smerlas' 'By a Nose' (not sure if that's still in print).)

Going off the Sabres reservation, you can't go wrong with Kenny Dryden's 2 books - 'The Game' and 'Home Game.'

Going w/ a more USA Hockey centric theme, 'The Boys of Winter' by Wayne Coffey is a great read about the '80 Olympic team.

"By a Nose" was a very entertaining read.  I wish I hadn't lost my copy somewhere along the way.  I'd like to re-read that one.

#5 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,178 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

View Postweave, on 21 December 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

"By a Nose" was a very entertaining read.  I wish I hadn't lost my copy somewhere along the way.  I'd like to re-read that one.

Foligno?

#6 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0671705326

#7 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,682 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

View Postweave, on 21 December 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

LOL the shipping costs are more than the book itself ($.25)

#8 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

View Postweave, on 21 December 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

I believe I still have my copy somewhere in the attic.

#9 All Along The Watchtower

All Along The Watchtower

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

Love Sal's two "Relentless" books, especially the first one, which is a "must have" for any Buffalo sports fan.  I know we all feel terrible about the Bills, but he's been a gloomy Gus for several years now...hope this doesn't come across in the Sabres book.

#10 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

Thanks for posting all these book recommendations.

For the last three month i only read isome threads in the forum because of the frustrating lockout.

I just ordered the 100 things book and counsel in the crease. The book Then Perreault said to ... is not available for a serious price ( >100$)  at amazon. Maybe you can give me a tipp where i can buy it for a normal price.

So i can get my hockey dose until the lockout is over or in worst case the season is canceled.

#11 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:10 AM

View PostLaLaLaFontaine, on 24 December 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

Thanks for posting all these book recommendations.

For the last three month i only read isome threads in the forum because of the frustrating lockout.

I just ordered the 100 things book and counsel in the crease. The book Then Perreault said to ... is not available for a serious price ( >100$)  at amazon. Maybe you can give me a tipp where i can buy it for a normal price.

So i can get my hockey dose until the lockout is over or in worst case the season is canceled.

http://www.barnesand...land/1030012564

#12 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

View PostThirtyEight, on 24 December 2012 - 05:10 AM, said:

Thanks, but it is unfortunately an ebook, which i can not read. And i would love to own the real book, because i want to be able to read it again in 10 years or so.

Edited by LaLaLaFontaine, 24 December 2012 - 06:50 AM.

#13 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

FWIW, there's a Nook app for Mac, PC, Web, iDevices, and Android devices.
http://www.barnesand...-apps/379003593

It may disappear in time, but you'd hope that if they did kill off the service they'd make provisions for unlocking the books or something. I believe nook is using Adobe Digital Editions under the hood which I've heard there's ways around. ;) I too like having actual books around though, so I know what you mean. that being said, I have a few books that I want to read but it is almost an annoyance that I have to bring the book with me as opposed to my reader when I'm packing light.

Edited by MattPie, 27 December 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#14 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Thanks to all.

I found the kindle app for my Ipad, bought it and read it in around 5 days. Fantastic read, i did not really know much about the beginning times and the first decade of our Sabres.

Counsel in the crease i also bought but it is a heavy read, especially for a non natural speaker and non lawyer. And it is much about the history of the nhl and the legal stuff happening around the birth of the Sabres. I am not through yet and hope i gets more specifical.

The 100things book is on the way.

Ahhh yes the hockey fever is rising.

Do you feel it too?

Edited by LaLaLaFontaine, 10 January 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#15 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

View PostLaLaLaFontaine, on 10 January 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

Ahhh yes the hockey fever is rising.

Do you feel it too?

Ja!

#16 BuffaloSoldier2010

BuffaloSoldier2010

your father's brother's cousin's former roommate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

I got a copy of 100 things for xmas, it's a solid read.  I'd recommend it for younger fans such as myself though.  It serves as some solid insight if you havent been around the team for it's entire history.  It's easy to pick up and put down at a whim as well, as each "thing" is typically no more than one page front and back.

#17 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,182 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

In glancing at Sal's book today, I saw mention of a book by Seymour Knox titled, "Anatomy of a Franchise." Never heard of it, and it doesn't immediately come up in a Google search. Someone should do a bibliography of Sabres books.

#18 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,720 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 10 January 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

In glancing at Sal's book today, I saw mention of a book by Seymour Knox titled, "Anatomy of a Franchise." Never heard of it, and it doesn't immediately come up in a Google search. Someone should do a bibliography of Sabres books.

Was that in a citation?  I don't know of that book, and I would be astonished to know that it is real.

#19 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,182 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostEleven, on 10 January 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

Was that in a citation?  I don't know of that book, and I would be astonished to know that it is real.

No, it's mentioned in the text. And Sal quotes directly from it. MIght be time to send him an email. I'd sure love to read it.

#20 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,720 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 10 January 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

No, it's mentioned in the text. And Sal quotes directly from it. MIght be time to send him an email. I'd sure love to read it.

Is it possibly an article, or even an Op-Ed, or something?

#21 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,182 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostEleven, on 10 January 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

Is it possibly an article, or even an Op-Ed, or something?
Anything's possible, but Sal called it a book.