#41 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,872 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 12 December 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

He coached U16 Midgets in Long Island to the State Championship last year.  Does that count?

Sure does! Now how do we talk him into taking it to the next level? Patty La behind a Sabres bench would pretty much make grown men cry.

#42 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,953 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 12 December 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

Loudest game I was ever at was the Ron Tugnutt broken glove game.  Close second is probably the Flyers-Sabres goalie fight game with Steve Shields.  And yes, I realize I just named the two loudest games I've been to as taking place in the Arena a short while after saying how much louder the Aud was....but I never got to see a playoff game in the Aud, so there!
I assume you mean for the Derek Plante goal.  Don't know if that was the loudest 1 I've been to or not, but it definitely was the craziest I've seen the crowd leaving a game.  You'd've thought the Sabres had won the SC the way people were reacting.

Game 3 vs Moe-ray-all in '83 was pretty loud too as I recall.

I wasn't at either game, but I'd guess that the 2 loudest moments in Sabres history were when the Zamboni doors broke open during Schoeny's fight (probably loudest regular season moment) and when Robert scored in OT (probably loudest moment ever).

#43 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,097 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

#44 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,428 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

View PostTaro T, on 12 December 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

I assume you mean for the Derek Plante goal.  Don't know if that was the loudest 1 I've been to or not, but it definitely was the craziest I've seen the crowd leaving a game.  You'd've thought the Sabres had won the SC the way people were reacting.

Game 3 vs Moe-ray-all in '83 was pretty loud too as I recall.

I wasn't at either game, but I'd guess that the 2 loudest moments in Sabres history were when the Zamboni doors broke open during Schoeny's fight (probably loudest regular season moment) and when Robert scored in OT (probably loudest moment ever).
The physical reaction of the crowd (see Eleven's clip) has to be one of the best in franchise history. Pretty extraordinary. Where did that passion go?

I am actually listening to a cassette tape I have of the pregame introductions before Game 3 in 83. Rick is wondering if anyone can hear the intros over the crowd.

I wonder how loud it was after Robert's goal. It was so damn hot, and foggy, and the Sabres were on the brink of going down 3-0 -- the reaction might have been more of relief that it was over than anything else.

#45 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,953 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 12 December 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

The physical reaction of the crowd (see Eleven's clip) has to be one of the best in franchise history. Pretty extraordinary. Where did that passion go?

I am actually listening to a cassette tape I have of the pregame introductions before Game 3 in 83. Rick is wondering if anyone can hear the intros over the crowd.

I wonder how loud it was after Robert's goal. It was so damn hot, and foggy, and the Sabres were on the brink of going down 3-0 -- the reaction might have been more of relief that it was over than anything else.
On the bolded, it's pretty easy to build up some emotion after 14 years without a round 2 game victory and 27 years without a game 7 win. ;)  (And they almost didn't get that round 2 game victory that year either.)

The cool thing (for me, at least) about that goal is that from where Plante took the shot, i had almost a direct line of sight from the stick to the glove to the net (well, a direct bird's eye line of sight).

The Moe-ray-all game in '83 was the 1st playoff game I'd ever been to.  Sat behind the Habs' net in the blues.

#46 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,097 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 12 December 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

Nowhere.  The next similar situation--the OT win against the Rangers--the passion was right there.

#47 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostEleven, on 12 December 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

I was there for this one.  My buddy and I had season tickets that year, and he was prone to debilitating migraines (still is), he had a particularly bad one that day but still went to the game.  He watched the whole game through sunglasses while holding his head in his hands, but when Plante scored he was going ape ###### right along with everyone else.  Great memories.

#48 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,790 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Next Monday's game

BUFFALO, N.Y. (December 13, 2012) --- The Buffalo Sabres today announced that MSG has scheduled a slate of Sabres programming on Monday nights leading up to the holidays with the premiere of another classic game on Dec. 17 at 8 p.m. The night’s episode will feature the Sabres’ New Year’s Eve game against the Washington Capitals in 2003 when Maxim Afinogenov and Miroslav Satan both netted hat tricks en route to a 7-1 blowout of Buffalo’s conference rival.
In addition to the hat tricks scored by Afinogenov and Satan, Sabres forward Andrew Peters scored his first NHL goal during the game at HSBC Arena. Peters will provide in-depth commentary throughout the two-hour telecast to give an added perspective to one of the most exciting games of the Sabres’ 2003-04 season.

The Monday after they'll show the Soviet game again.

#49 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,872 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 13 December 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

Next Monday's game

Awesome, I misse the Soviet game the first time they aired it.

Are there any plan to offer these games with commentary on DVD?

#50 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,790 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 13 December 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

Awesome, I misse the Soviet game the first time they aired it.

Are there any plan to offer these games with commentary on DVD?

Not sure who owns the tapes.  I assume the NHL but there must be some statute on years?  idunno

#51 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,097 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 13 December 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

Not sure who owns the tapes.  I assume the NHL but there must be some statute on years?  idunno

Not likely to expire in your lifetime.  Our copyright laws are a little nuts when it comes to statutes of limitation.

#52 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostEleven, on 13 December 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

Not likely to expire in your lifetime.  Our copyright laws are a little nuts when it comes to statutes of limitation.

They were less nuts before the copyright on Steamboat Willie was about to expire.

#53 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 13 December 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

Nice. After a few weeks and we've already run out of "classic" games... ? lol

#54 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,953 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

View PostSanta Claus, on 13 December 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

They'll probably expire in her lifetime, but not ours.

That game'll probably 'go public' in 2071.  She'll still likely be chasing college guys then. ;)  (And maybe even landing 1 or 2.)

I know I'll be dead by then.

#55 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,790 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

Tomorrow, Jan 7th at 8pm.  Sabres’ double-overtime win against the Montreal Canadiens during the 1998 Stanley Cup Playoffs on MSG.

#56 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,872 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Watched the double OT game tonight. Wow was that good! Some classic Dom Hasek saves, big hits, and lots of scoring. And my word does interference not exist. Twas a different time.

Edited by d4rksabre, 08 January 2013 - 10:21 PM.