55 replies to this topic

#1 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,910 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

MSG is going to air the Sabres’ game against the Quebec Nordiques from December 23, 1989.

Viewers in the Buffalo and Rochester markets will be able to watch the programming on MSG, while viewers in the Syracuse, Binghamton and Albany markets can watch on the MSG+ network. DirecTV subscribers can view Monday’s classic game broadcast on channels 638 and 638-1(HD).

I've never seen this one.  Housley has a five point game to tie Van Boxmeer's franchise record.

Anyone up for a GDT on Monday?

#2 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

Ted Darling doing the PBP? If so I may just watch this one.

#3 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

I hope they do this Monday classic Sabres night a tradition even beyond the lockout. Not during the season but during the summer months.

#4 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

I think this is re-broadcast a couple of times, like maybe today and again tomorrow at different times.  I'm going to have to DVR this one.  My mom (still a huge Sabre fan at 90) absolutely HATED the Nordiques.  She especially didn't like Michel Bergeron - she had a nickname for him that I can't put in this post.  Even though I hated the Nordiques as well, I still miss having them in the league. (Ottawa has sort of replaced them, but not completely).

Edited by Sabre Dance, 04 December 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#5 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

DVR'd it and am watching it now. What a great example of the era. Dudley behind the bench, Guy Lafleur, Michel Goulet, Sakic on the Nordiques. Malarchuk, Housley, Bodger, Snuggerud, Ledyard, Andreychuck, Ruuttu, Vaive, Mogilny, Krupp and Mike Foligno's nose on Buffalo. The organ player at the Colisee is brilliant, and of course Ted Darling on the play by play.

I wish I had been old enough to see more of these games. Darling is a gem.

Can't forget Pierre Champoux refereeing.

#6 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

I think what I like most about these games is how little the goalies freeze the puck. The game flows so much better.

#7 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:51 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 04 December 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

I think what I like most about these games is how little the goalies freeze the puck. The game flows so much better.

Despite a foot of snow along the boards the entire perimeter of the rink.

#8 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,910 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

Is it just not HD or did they use dirty water to make the ice. It's got kind of a gray color.

#9 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 05 December 2012 - 08:32 AM, said:

Is it just not HD or did they use dirty water to make the ice. It's got kind of a gray color.

Lighting and film has changed greatly. Look at how blue ice looks in photos in the 50s.

#10 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 04 December 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

DVR'd it and am watching it now. What a great example of the era. Dudley behind the bench, Guy Lafleur, Michel Goulet, Sakic on the Nordiques. Malarchuk, Housley, Bodger, Snuggerud, Ledyard, Andreychuck, Ruuttu, Vaive, Mogilny, Krupp and Mike Foligno's nose on Buffalo. The organ player at the Colisee is brilliant, and of course Ted Darling on the play by play.

I wish I had been old enough to see more of these games. Darling is a gem.

Can't forget Pierre Champoux refereeing.

I was impressed by the number of recognizable names on the Nordiques - très redoutable!  Mario Marois, Ron Tugnutt, and the aforementioned Sakic, Lafleur, etc.  And the Sabres lineup was awesome from goaltender out and all the way up to the broadcast crew.  Ted Darling and Mike Robitaille? Excellent.  I only saw the last period of the game but it was so very enjoyable.  Jeez, those Sabres/Nordiques games used to get me so fired up....

#11 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostSabre Dance, on 05 December 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

I was impressed by the number of recognizable names on the Nordiques - très redoutable!  Mario Marois, Ron Tugnutt, and the aforementioned Sakic, Lafleur, etc.  And the Sabres lineup was awesome from goaltender out and all the way up to the broadcast crew.  Ted Darling and Mike Robitaille? Excellent.  I only saw the last period of the game but it was so very enjoyable.  Jeez, those Sabres/Nordiques games used to get me so fired up....

I'm saving it to rewatch with the girlfriend since she was out last night and only got back to see the end. It's quite a history lesson in just one game.

#12 Lanny

Lanny

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Game vs Hartford on right now

#13 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

HD is the best thing to ever happen to sports. Also, kinda funny, i just saw Brandon Shanahan totally dive on a play late in the first period. He didn't get the call though.

Oh, and, such such sexy jerseys by the home team.

#14 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

shoot, I need to make sure I set the DVR

#15 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

I completely forgot that Varada ever used number 9

#16 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,910 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

Why did Ray get the game misconduct?  Spearing?

#17 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

I was at that game.  Still have the poster they gave away to the fans in attendance.  It is framed and on my office wall.  It is a panoramic pic taken from the upper deck, end the Sabres defend twice.  Play is in the Hartford zone, score tied at 2.

"Farewell to an old friend"

#18 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,290 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

Watching that game last night was incredible.  If I had been asked before the game, I don't think I could have named half the Sabres roster.  It also struck me how much different the atmosphere was in the Aud than the FNC now, and while I acknowledge it was a special kind of game, I still remember the Aud crowds being much louder and into it even when the team was mediocre.

#19 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,963 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

I wish that standing next to me right now... would be Ted Darling.

#20 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

I wonder if the smaller rink and confined quarters of The Aud helped to facilitate the atmosphere it was known for.

The rink was SMALL...it's amazing there weren't more serious injuries while the Sabres played there.

View PostPASabreFan, on 11 December 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

I wish that standing next to me right now... would be Ted Darling.

That would be creepy considering he's been dead for nearly two decades.

#21 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 11 December 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

Watching that game last night was incredible.  If I had been asked before the game, I don't think I could have named half the Sabres roster.  It also struck me how much different the atmosphere was in the Aud than the FNC now, and while I acknowledge it was a special kind of game, I still remember the Aud crowds being much louder and into it even when the team was mediocre.

I guess.

The game Curtis Brown scored in overtime vs. Philly was pretty loud. Stu Barnes game vs. Pittsburgh too. And i don't mean just the goals, the entire games.

The loudest i've ever seen a Sabres game (granted, havnt been to many of the memorable Aud games but been to the Aud) was Game 1 of the Flyers series after the lockout. The Umburger game. Way before the hit, or before the Briere OT goal, that arena was buzzing like never before.

#22 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,252 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 11 December 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

Having the roof of the joint seemingly about 10' over the top of the oranges went a long way towards making that place loud.  There's a lot of wasted space above the 300's in the Mmarina.

Though most people couldn't have cared less to see the Whalers come to town, I never minded seeing them as they were good for a fight w/ the Sabres more often than not.  Also, they were the foe for 2 of the more memorable games I was at; the one they showed on the tube yesterday and Patty's 1st game as a Sabre.  THAT was a fun game to be at, the Sabres were seriously pumped up by having 16 added to the roster.

#23 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

View PostTaro T, on 11 December 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

Having the roof of the joint seemingly about 10' over the top of the oranges went a long way towards making that place loud.  There's a lot of wasted space above the 300's in the Mmarina.

Though most people couldn't have cared less to see the Whalers come to town, I never minded seeing them as they were good for a fight w/ the Sabres more often than not.  Also, they were the foe for 2 of the more memorable games I was at; the one they showed on the tube yesterday and Patty's 1st game as a Sabre.  THAT was a fun game to be at, the Sabres were seriously pumped up by having 16 added to the roster.

I always enjoyed games against Hartford too.  Division rivals which meant there was some extra intensity.  And they had players you could hate.

#24 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

It's probably because I spent more time listening to games than watching them during this era, but is Zhitnik underrated by fans these days? The games I've seen he's always played well.

#25 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,290 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 11 December 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

It's probably because I spent more time listening to games than watching them during this era, but is Zhitnik underrated by fans these days? The games I've seen he's always played well.

I think his damn point shot tarnished perceptions of the rest of his game.

#26 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 11 December 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

I think his damn point shot tarnished perceptions of the rest of his game.

That has to be it, because he's pretty slick otherwise.

Could the 1996 Sabres beat our current roster? I think yes.

#27 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,760 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

He's the reason my number is 44.  Although, my point shot definitely hits the net more often.

#28 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

Not underrated.  Underappreciated.  He was a genuine top pair defenseman that could play any role.  But he mostly played on mediocre and/or underachieving teams.  You aren't going to be given full credit when you aren't on successful teams.

#29 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Ray going ape and the Earl of Bud. Awesome game.

#30 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

Muzzatti vs Galley is just downright brilliant. I miss the days of goalies who weren't pussbags.

#31 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

It always amazes me how well spoken Patty LaFontaine is. I wonder why the guy never got into coaching? He seems smarter than your average NHLer.

#32 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,910 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

View PostVanek-Man, on 11 December 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

I guess.

The game Curtis Brown scored in overtime vs. Philly was pretty loud. Stu Barnes game vs. Pittsburgh too. And i don't mean just the goals, the entire games.

The loudest i've ever seen a Sabres game (granted, havnt been to many of the memorable Aud games but been to the Aud) was Game 1 of the Flyers series after the lockout. The Umburger game. Way before the hit, or before the Briere OT goal, that arena was buzzing like never before.

Loudest game for me would be when Drury scored with seconds left and Max finished it off in OT. You couldn't even hear the goal horn.

View Postsizzlemeister, on 11 December 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

I wonder if the smaller rink and confined quarters of The Aud helped to facilitate the atmosphere it was known for.

The rink was SMALL...it's amazing there weren't more serious injuries while the Sabres played there.

That would be creepy considering he's been dead for nearly two decades.

He's referring to when RJ said that he wished that Ted Darling  was next to him right now.

#33 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 11 December 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

It always amazes me how well spoken Patty LaFontaine is. I wonder why the guy never got into coaching? He seems smarter than your average NHLer.

He almost seemed to good to be true, didn't he?  That talented, that well spoken, that much of a good guy.  It was like, where is the fatal flaw?  There had to be something hidden.  But the guy never showed a dark side.  Always a class act.  I suppose maybe it is my natural tendency towards cynicism.

#34 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,252 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

View Postweave, on 11 December 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

Not underrated.  Underappreciated.  He was a genuine top pair defenseman that could play any role.  But he mostly played on mediocre and/or underachieving teams.  You aren't going to be given full credit when you aren't on successful teams.
I'd agree that underappreciated is the way to look at it.

He played on mediocre teams; except for 1 season when Ramsey forced him to use a different stick he couldn't hit the net w/ a slapshot under any circumstances (he was the reason my wife and I would yell 'on net' rather than 'shoot' ;)); had a tendency to take penalties at inoppotune times; and he was paired with 'Smehlik clears the puck ... not out.'

On top of that, throw in that he was pretty much the perfect #2 D-man on a team that didn't have anything resembling a #1, and underappreciated becomes understandable.

View Postweave, on 12 December 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

He almost seemed to good to be true, didn't he?  That talented, that well spoken, that much of a good guy.  It was like, where is the fatal flaw?  There had to be something hidden.  But the guy never showed a dark side.  Always a class act.  I suppose maybe it is my natural tendency towards cynicism.
That he was/is.  Even when he had the contract holdout w/ the Isles, when he had the post-career issues w/ Isles ownership, and when he was on his way out of Buffalo, he never brought it down into the mud.  He's a true class act.

#35 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,963 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

View Postweave, on 12 December 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

Well, there isn't a goddamn pillow in the LaFontaine house with the tag still on it, and I want to know when the ###### lamestream media is going to start looking into that. No, he's LaLa, can't bring down an American hockey hero. Ridiculous.

#36 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,910 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 11 December 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

He coached U16 Midgets in Long Island to the State Championship last year.  Does that count?

#37 Santa Claus

Santa Claus

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,857 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 11 December 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

I guess.

Me, too.  And I remember lots of games at the Aud, but not playoff games.  I'll bet the Drury/Afinogenov game that Chz mentions was louder, but I wasn't at that one.  The Filly game was louder than anything I remember at the Aud.  But, then again, most of the games at the Aud in my memory were played by some pretty mediocre teams.

#38 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,290 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Loudest game I was ever at was the Ron Tugnutt broken glove game.  Close second is probably the Flyers-Sabres goalie fight game with Steve Shields.  And yes, I realize I just named the two loudest games I've been to as taking place in the Arena a short while after saying how much louder the Aud was....but I never got to see a playoff game in the Aud, so there!

#39 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

I remember many games at the Aud.  The old barn was great.  The confines made for some very loud crowds.

The loudest games I remember where when those dastardly Leafs came to town.  With so many Leaf fans in attendance they seemed to really edge on the Sabre fans.

The volume meter went off the charts whenever someting like this happened ...

#40 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

Most boistrous crowds I've seen/heard were at Boston-Buffalo playoff games at the Aud.  It was a long fecking time ago but I cannot imagine a crowd louder than the ones at those games.  They had it all, beer dumped on the players and coaches, fighting in the stands, brawls on the ice.  Thems games was a zoo.