#1 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl

Former Sabres part-owner Robert Swados, who helped the Knoxes in the early years, has died.

#2 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,528 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

View Postnobody, on 23 November 2012 - 06:11 PM, said:

John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl

Former Sabres part-owner Robert Swados, who helped the Knoxes in the early years, has died.

Deserves his own thread. How bout it, chz? We almost certainly wouldn't be sitting here typing about the Sabres without guys like Bob Swados.

#3 DGW54321

DGW54321

Welcome back Ted!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

R.I.P. Mr. Swados.

#4 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,528 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

I'd recommend Swados' book Counsel in the Crease for any fan. The average Joe will probably skip around and find some interesting behind the scenes stories of Sabres history. The legal eagles will certainly enjoy the denser parts of this book. And, yes, as was mentioned in the News' obituary by Gene Warner, there are plenty of goofups that should be obvious to even the most casual fan.

#5 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,084 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

Story on Swados:

http://www.buffalone.../121129629/1002

#6 Neo

Neo

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Swados was an interesting cat.   Equal parts intellect (obvious), training (Harvard Law), and force of personality (over the top assertiveness and confidence).  You wanted him on your side.  Think James Carville.  Conversely, even when he was on your side, there were times you did not want him in the room.  He'd make points and assume his arguement would carry the day.  He had little use for opposing views.   This could break a negotiation open.   It could also bring it to a halt.  I got the impression he arrived at every meeting with things figured out, his way, and he was prepared to tell you the result.  Case closed.  Not surprising for a man who'd accomplished so much.  My view?   He learned early in life that he was smarter than the rest.  He honed the intellect at law school and in private practice, and he was, therefore, finished.  It was up to you to catch up.  He'd tell you in front of people and leave, giving you time to understand.  His frustration was obvious when you stuck to your view.  Again, my opinion.   He wasn't always right because issues aren't always right or wrong, not because he failed at an analysis.  Two rights didn't occur to him, at least in his public persona.  I thought of him as "Oz"; he was bluster, smoke and fire.  It took a patient Dorothy to withstand the heat, continue the arguement, and find common ground.  It seemed to annoy him.  Robert Swados did not suffer fools.  He was one of several people most responsible for the Sabres coming to Buffalo.  We know that.   He was also one of several people most responsible for them remaining.  In a bit of curious timing, David Rutecki passed away this week.  He, too, went a long way toward keeping the team in Buffalo.  Rutecki was Swados' opposite.   Brilliant, as well, but all about your side of the story, his side of the story, and common ground.  God rest both men.

Edited by Neo, 24 November 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#7 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,084 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

View PostNeo, on 24 November 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Swados was an interesting cat.   Equal parts intellect (obvious), training (Harvard Law), and force of personality (over the top assertiveness and confidence).  You wanted him on your side.  Think James Carville.  Conversely, even  when he was on your side, there were times you did not want him in the room.  He'd make points and assume his arguement would carry the day.  He had little use for opposing views.   This could break a negotiation open.   It could also bring it to a halt.  I got the impression he arrived at every meeting with things figured out, his way, and he was prepared to tell you the result.  Case closed.  Not surprising for a man who'd accomplished so much.  My view?   He learned early in life that he was smarter than the rest.  He honed the intellect at law school and in private practice, and he was, therefore, finished.  It was up to you to catch up.  He'd tell you in front of people and leave, giving you time to understand.  His frustration was obvious when you stuck to your view.  Again, my opinion.   He wasn't always right because issues aren't always right or wrong, not because he failed at an analysis.  Two rights didn't occur to him, at least in his public persona.  I thought of him as "Oz"; he was bluster, smoke and fire.  It took a patient Dorothy to withstand the heat, continue the arguement, and find common ground.  It seemed to annoy him.  Robert Swados did not suffer fools.  He was one of several people most responsible for the Sabres coming to Buffalo.  We know that.   He was also one of several people most responsible for them remaining.  In a bit of curious timing, David Rutecki passed away this week.  He, too, went a long way toward keeping the team in Buffalo.  Rutecki was Swados' opposite.   Brilliant, as well, but all about your side of the story, his side of the story, and common ground.  God rest both men.

Nice insight, thank you.

#8 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,432 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

I love the fact that I've never heard of the name Swados before today, and he's had such a huge impact on my life, apparently.

#9 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Grin and bear it...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

View PostNeo, on 24 November 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Swados was an interesting cat.   Equal parts intellect (obvious), training (Harvard Law), and force of personality (over the top assertiveness and confidence).  You wanted him on your side.  Think James Carville.  Conversely, even when he was on your side, there were times you did not want him in the room.  He'd make points and assume his arguement would carry the day.  He had little use for opposing views.   This could break a negotiation open.   It could also bring it to a halt.  I got the impression he arrived at every meeting with things figured out, his way, and he was prepared to tell you the result.  Case closed.  Not surprising for a man who'd accomplished so much.  My view?   He learned early in life that he was smarter than the rest.  He honed the intellect at law school and in private practice, and he was, therefore, finished.  It was up to you to catch up.  He'd tell you in front of people and leave, giving you time to understand.  His frustration was obvious when you stuck to your view.  Again, my opinion.   He wasn't always right because issues aren't always right or wrong, not because he failed at an analysis.  Two rights didn't occur to him, at least in his public persona.  I thought of him as "Oz"; he was bluster, smoke and fire.  It took a patient Dorothy to withstand the heat, continue the arguement, and find common ground.  It seemed to annoy him.  Robert Swados did not suffer fools.  He was one of several people most responsible for the Sabres coming to Buffalo.  We know that.   He was also one of several people most responsible for them remaining.  In a bit of curious timing, David Rutecki passed away this week.  He, too, went a long way toward keeping the team in Buffalo.  Rutecki was Swados' opposite.   Brilliant, as well, but all about your side of the story, his side of the story, and common ground.  God rest both men.

Very nicely written and thanks for the insight...

View PostSwampD, on 25 November 2012 - 12:18 AM, said:

I love the fact that I've never heard of the name Swados before today, and he's had such a huge impact on my life, apparently.

Anyone who was around when the Sabres were formed and for the first few years of their existance know the name Robert Swados.  Although the Knox name (especially Seymour III) was certainly more well-known, Robert Swados was at least as integral in bringing an NHL franchise to Buffalo. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Also, the fact that many of those who were there at the beginning of the Sabres' franchise have now passed makes me feel pretty old.  It does not seem like 40+ years ago that Seymour III and Norty, Robert Swados and Punch Imlach put together a group of veterans drafted from other teams, added a young Gilbert Perrault and (later) Rick Martin and made it all work.  The Sabres were an immediate success in Buffalo and in only a few short years were one of the finest teams in the league. I hate that the Sabres have achieved that level only one other time in their history; I especially hate that any progress the team made under Terry Pegula's ownership has now been stifled by another work stoppage. Truly, the NHL is not what it once was, and that is definitely not a good thing.  Rest well, Mr. Swados - you brought much enjoyment to thousands of WNY hockey fans through the Sabres.  We thank you....

Edited by Sabre Dance, 26 November 2012 - 09:29 AM.