So.... what's everyone makin' for Thanksgiving?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,910 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

I personally make an awesome turnip.  Old school pressure cooker like mom.

Ben marco for the wine.

#2 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

This year, my sister's boyfriend's family invited our family over, so we're doing a joint Thanksgiving.  His dad is making the turkey, his mom is making some other stuff, and I'm charged with the sweet potato dish and stuffing.  I am going to use my grandmother's recipe for the sweet potatoes once I get it from her.

And of course, my mom and sister are going to spend all day tomorrow making pies (pumpkin, chocolate pudding, apple, and some others) :worthy: :worthy: My favorite part about Thanksgiving!

#3 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Isn't the idea supposed to be not only about stuffing your faces ... :angel: .

That said, we stuffed our faces about a month and a half ago, on October 8th.

A fall classic ... stuffed squash.  We have that often this time of year.

#4 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,630 posts
  • Location:The Myth, The Man, The Legend, Zemgus Destroyer of Worlds.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Thanksgiving will be spent in the hills of North Carolina in which I have been told I will be assisting in cooking all the traditional dishes including frying a turkey.  Kinda excited and thankful I won't be spending the holiday alone in my apartment.

#5 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 20 November 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

most definitely.  stuffing your face is just an amazing bonus! ;)

#6 LaFontaineToMogilny

LaFontaineToMogilny

Denim Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

I think the original idea is to be thankful that you can stuff your face.

#7 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 20 November 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

most definitely.  stuffing your face is just an amazing bonus! ;)

View PostLaFontaineToMogilny, on 20 November 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

I think the original idea is to be thankful that you can stuff your face.

At least you guys didn't say something like ...

*Duh, dude.  It's also about football and shopping* ...

... ;) .

#8 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

Try this cranberry-orange relish recipe - I made some last Saturday and it is AWESOME!

Ingredients:
1 12 oz. package fresh (or frozen) cranberries
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup water
1 orange (juice and zest)
1 cinnamon stick
¼ cup bourbon

Directions:

Remove zest from orange and slice into thin (1/16th inch) strips.  Squeeze juice from the orange. Place cranberries, sugar, brown sugar, water, cinnamon stick, bourbon, orange zest and juice into a saucepan.  Cook on medium heat until cranberries begin to “pop”.  Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid begins to thicken.  Remove from and heat and allow to cool.  Remove cinnamon stick. Relish will thicken further as it cools.  Spoon into a container.  Store covered in the refrigerator (up to two weeks) or freeze.

#9 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Big gathering at our house as usual.

Got a 20lb bird.  24hr soak in a maple-sage brine. Some herb butter under the skin.  Then on the grill, indirect heat until everything is golden, brown, and delicious.
Corn and cheddar "custard"
Acorn squash halved and stuffed with venison-sage sausage and topped with bread crumbs, roasted until the squash is tender
Traditional sage bread stuffing
Corn bread stuffing with cranberries and walnuts
Garlicky mashed taters
Bloddy Mary's during dinner prep
Traminette and Gerwurtztraminer with dinner
Bourbon spiked egg nog for later

I'm sure a pie or two will show up.

#10 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

I just decided to go home for thanksgiving yesterday.  I don't know what'll be on the table (other than lots of booze), but I do know that I'll get two dinners.  Double Christmas and Thanksgiving were always the best perks for kids with divorced parents.  I can't wait to get back home.

#11 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

Overtime.

#12 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,755 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'm pretty sure that this holiday is the one specifically created to celebrate the fact that our country makes way more food than we could ever need.

View Postweave, on 20 November 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

Got a 20lb bird.  24hr soak in a maple-sage brine. Some herb butter under the skin.  Then on the grill, indirect heat until everything is golden, brown, and delicious.
Corn and cheddar "custard"
Acorn squash halved and stuffed with venison-sage sausage and topped with bread crumbs, roasted until the squash is tender
Traditional sage bread stuffing
Corn bread stuffing with cranberries and walnuts
Garlicky mashed taters
Bloddy Mary's during dinner prep
Traminette and Gerwurtztraminer with dinner
Bourbon spiked egg nog for later

I'm sure a pie or two will show up.

Now I understand why you seem like such a sage old man.

#13 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 20 November 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

I just decided to go home for thanksgiving yesterday.  I don't know what'll be on the table (other than lots of booze), but I do know that I'll get two dinners.  Double Christmas and Thanksgiving were always the best perks for kids with divorced parents. I can't wait to get back home.

So true! haha! It took a few years after it happened for me and my sister to spin it into a positive light like that, but it is awesome!

#14 thanes16

thanes16

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 20 November 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

This year, my sister's boyfriend's family invited our family over, so we're doing a joint Thanksgiving.  His dad is making the turkey, his mom is making some other stuff, and I'm charged with the sweet potato dish and stuffing.  I am going to use my grandmother's recipe for the sweet potatoes once I get it from her.

And of course, my mom and sister are going to spend all day tomorrow making pies (pumpkin, chocolate pudding, apple, and some others) :worthy: :worthy: My favorite part about Thanksgiving!

Stuffing is one of my fav's on Thanksgiving. What I find interesting is the general difference in what is cooked and not cooked in the North and South. It's actually kind of fun to compare/contrast the two. In the South, many, not all, prefer dressing over stuffing. Many also like to fry a turkey in the South. I just can't get into either of those. Also, I cannot get into cornbread. In my opinion, that stuff is flat out disgusting. Again, everyone has their own preferences and there is nothing wrong w/ that. Hope everyone across America has a great Thanksgiving!

#15 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 21 November 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure that this holiday is the one specifically created to celebrate the fact that our country makes way more food than we could ever need.

Now I understand why you seem like such a sage old man.

Get off my lawn!!

Damned kids......

#16 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,279 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

Smoking the bird on the Weber and collecting the drippings for a delicious smoky gravy.  I'll also tap a keg of Pale ale that I brewed last month.

#17 2ForTripping

2ForTripping

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Mother Earth was very kind this year, a turkey & several deer. Turkey is going to be smoked in my BGE and some venison tenderloin will be as well. Venison sausage & oyster dressing, fresh out of the garden collards and sweet potatoes. Along with summer vegetables from the garden I canned, pickled okra, stewed tomatoes and dill & bread and butter pickles. My Mama will do her magic with several sweet potato pies and apple pies made from apples picked in Ellijay GA. Most importantly though is to be with your kin, tell em you love em and appreciate em.  Happy Thanksgiving y'all

#18 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,291 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

My family did away with the big gatherings many years ago, so it's just the immediate family these days.  That said my mom still makes the full dinner, and as I'm sure most people feel about their mom's cooking, her homemade stuffing can't be beat!  Turkey, stuffing, corn, biscuits, cranberry sauce and of course, gravy.  I'm chipping in the dessert:  apple & pumpkin pies (store bought, yea, I suck) and brownies (homemade!).  Sister and brother in law providing the wine.

#19 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

View Postthanes16, on 21 November 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

Stuffing is one of my fav's on Thanksgiving. What I find interesting is the general difference in what is cooked and not cooked in the North and South. It's actually kind of fun to compare/contrast the two. In the South, many, not all, prefer dressing over stuffing. Many also like to fry a turkey in the South. I just can't get into either of those. Also, I cannot get into cornbread. In my opinion, that stuff is flat out disgusting. Again, everyone has their own preferences and there is nothing wrong w/ that. Hope everyone across America has a great Thanksgiving!

I've heard people use the two terms interchangeably (although I've always called it stuffing)... what's the difference?

Related to that: a few years back, the bf and I were in CA over Thanksgiving with his family.  His mom was talking the day before about prepping dishes for dinner, and how she makes her dressing with sausage.  Since my family had only ever called it stuffing, I thought she was talking about putting meat in salad dressing, which sounded pretty awful.  It wasn't until the day of when I saw what she was making (stuffing) that I realized the source of my confusion.  :blush:

#20 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,630 posts
  • Location:The Myth, The Man, The Legend, Zemgus Destroyer of Worlds.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

View Postbiodork, on 21 November 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

I've heard people use the two terms interchangeably (although I've always called it stuffing)... what's the difference?

Related to that: a few years back, the bf and I were in CA over Thanksgiving with his family.  His mom was talking the day before about prepping dishes for dinner, and how she makes her dressing with sausage.  Since my family had only ever called it stuffing, I thought she was talking about putting meat in salad dressing, which sounded pretty awful.  It wasn't until the day of when I saw what she was making (stuffing) that I realized the source of my confusion.  :blush:
completely unrelated to thanksgiving but when I went to Comubia for the USC game in the morning they asked me what kind of biscuit I wanted and I was like idk? plain?  Yea they meant breakfast sandwhich...

#21 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

View Post2ForTripping, on 21 November 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

Mother Earth was very kind this year, a turkey & several deer. Turkey is going to be smoked in my BGE and some venison tenderloin will be as well. Venison sausage & oyster dressing, fresh out of the garden collards and sweet potatoes. Along with summer vegetables from the garden I canned, pickled okra, stewed tomatoes and dill & bread and butter pickles. My Mama will do her magic with several sweet potato pies and apple pies made from apples picked in Ellijay GA. Most importantly though is to be with your kin, tell em you love em and appreciate em.  Happy Thanksgiving y'all

Hey!  Ellijay, GA!  My aunt and uncle lived in Ellijay for many years. My uncle has since passed and my aunt is now in a rehab facility in Decatur.

View Postbiodork, on 21 November 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

I always thought it was only stuffing if it was actually inside the bird at some point.  You can bake the same ingredients in a pan and it's dressing... But, I could be wrong....

#22 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

View PostSabre Dance, on 21 November 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

Hey!  Ellijay, GA!  My aunt and uncle lived in Ellijay for many years. My uncle has since passed and my aunt is now in a rehab facility in Decatur.

I always thought it was only stuffing if it was actually inside the bird at some point.  You can bake the same ingredients in a pan and it's dressing... But, I could be wrong....

Seems weird to call it something different just because of where it was cooked, but you may very well be correct...

#23 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

And on the auspicious occasion of my 1,000th post, I say "Happy Thanksgiving" to one and all!!!

#24 Chris_in_UT

Chris_in_UT

tie-dyer extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

View Postweave, on 20 November 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

I've been looking for a good brine recipe. My wife and I aren't responsible for the bird this year, but we have 3 turkeys sitting in our freezer (all a gift from my employer), so I thought I'd experiment with some brines. Do you have a recipe you use? or just throw it together?

We're bringing "thankful rolls," something my wife's family generally does, but we're having Thanksgiving with my fam this year. Basically, we have the kids (and willing adults) write what they're thankful for on a small piece of paper, then we wrap that into the roll. While we're eating, when someone finds a "hidden message" in his/her roll, they share it with everyone. Fun concept; more fun reading the kids' responses.

Other than that, we're bringing pies. 2 pumpkin, 1 each of pecan, peach, and razzleberry. Might get an eggnog cheesecake from our local grocer. Exceptionally good dessert.

#25 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostChris_in_UT, on 21 November 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

I've been looking for a good brine recipe. My wife and I aren't responsible for the bird this year, but we have 3 turkeys sitting in our freezer (all a gift from my employer), so I thought I'd experiment with some brines. Do you have a recipe you use? or just throw it together?

We're bringing "thankful rolls," something my wife's family generally does, but we're having Thanksgiving with my fam this year. Basically, we have the kids (and willing adults) write what they're thankful for on a small piece of paper, then we wrap that into the roll. While we're eating, when someone finds a "hidden message" in his/her roll, they share it with everyone. Fun concept; more fun reading the kids' responses.

Other than that, we're bringing pies. 2 pumpkin, 1 each of pecan, peach, and razzleberry. Might get an eggnog cheesecake from our local grocer. Exceptionally good dessert.

Thre most basic brine is 1g water, 1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup sugar, and add desired flavorings. For the maple sage brine I substitute maple syrup 1:1 for the sugar. To that I add a large quartered onion, 2 crushed garlic cloves, a tablespoon of black peppercorns, and a good handful of sage that i bruise simply by rubbing them between my palms.

What is razzleberry?

#26 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,910 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

I need a recipe for gravy using turkey drippings. Anyone?

#27 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Haha -- came across this while looking for info on the dressing vs. stuffing conundrum... sounds awesome!

Buffalo roasted turkey?!

Here's what I found on dressing vs. stuffing:

http://bakingbites.c...al-preferences/
http://www.yumsugar....ference-6186984

Sounds like Sabre Dance was at least partially correct, but mostly those in the South call it dressing and those in the North / NE refer to it as stuffing (regardless of how it was prepared).

#28 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 21 November 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

I need a recipe for gravy using turkey drippings. Anyone?

You have to do it by eye as you cannot predict how much drippings you'll have.

Basically, put the drippings in a sauce pan (frying pan with high(ish) sides).  Heat over medium-high heat.  Add salt and pepper to taste (start with a heavy pinch of each and taste it).  Bring up to a simmer.  If you have sage, add about 1 tsp of finely chopped fresh or dry sage.  You could substitute poultry seasoning but be careful because it has alot of salt and you've already salted.  If you need more liquid add some chicken stock (found in carboard boxes in the soup aisle) to get the amount you need.  Add 1 tablespoon of corn starch to a small bowl.  Add a few tablespoons of COLD water to the corn starch bowl.  Stir thoroughly to make a slurry.  Add the slurry to the simmering gravy.  The corn starch will thicken the gravy.  Let the gravy come back up to a simmer/low boil.  If the gravy needs to be thickened more add another 1 tablespoon of corn starch slurry.  If it is too thick add a touch of water back into the gravy.

That's about it really.

Edited by weave, 21 November 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#29 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,910 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

View Postweave, on 21 November 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

You have to do it by eye as you cannot predict how much drippings you'll have.

Basically, put the drippings in a sauce pan (frying pan with high(ish) sides).  Heat over medium-high heat.  Add salt and pepper to taste (start with a heavy pinch of each and taste it).  Bring up to a simmer.  If you have sage, add about 1 tsp of finely chopped fresh or dry sage.  You could substitute poultry seasoning but be careful because it has alot of salt and you've already salted.  If you need more liquid add some chicken stock (found in carboard boxes in the soup aisle) to get the amount you need.  Add 1 tablespoon of corn starch to a small bowl.  Add a few tablespoons of COLD water to the corn starch bowl.  Stir thoroughly to make a slurry.  Add the slurry to the simmering gravy.  The corn starch will thicken the gravy.  Let the gravy come back up to a simmer/low boil.  If the gravy needs to be thickened more add another 1 tablespoon of corn starch slurry.  If it is too thick add a touch of water back into the gravy.

That's about it really.

So no Tabasco?
Or tequila?
Thanks.

#30 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 21 November 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

So no Tabasco?
Or tequila?
Thanks.

lol

I've been known to jazz mine up with a bit of chipotle powder and some pureed cranberries but I figured you are looking for a more classic recipe.

Edit- a splash of white wine is a nice addition

Edited by weave, 21 November 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#31 rbochan

rbochan

Zamboni Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

Posted Image

#32 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

View Postrbochan, on 22 November 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Posted Image

Lol eew

#33 Santa Claus

Santa Claus

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,857 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

My sister made two pains in the ass, and they provided the free entertainment for Thanksgiving.  I'm thankful for my niece flitting around the joint and being funny, and I'm thankful for my nephew being stoic (most of the time) and letting me play with his toy cars with him.  He also allowed me to lift him out of his highchair and walk him into the kitchen for some milk, and for once, he knew my name.  That was better than anything, ever.  Well, except for the time that his older sister first knew my name.  I guess it's tied.

#34 MattPie

MattPie

A Rose by any other name...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

This is the first year I've had to do double-Thanksgiving. I think I managed to do it reasonably well since I weigh the same today as I did yesterday.

I contributed a savory corn bread pudding to both. Cast iron skillet, sweat onions, rosemary, and thyme with butter. Pour a batter of cornmeal, eggs, cream, cream corn, parmesan cheese, cubed french bread, etc. over the top of the herbs and bake. It's far more moist than average corn bread, and not sweet at all. Great stuff. One of these times I'm going to chop a jalapeno to put in it, but I'm always making it for other people so I don't want to screw it up.