Jump to content


Waterfront and other development around the FNC

off topic

  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western New York

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

Before yesterday, I hadn't taken a ride through the area in a few weeks.  Things are moving fast...

1 - Exterior walls going up on Donovan building.

2 - Casino steel is going up.

3 - New park space on outer harbor land(north of where Shooters used to be) is already cleared.  For those who didn't know, this is where they stored the ice boom for many years.  The ice boom is now stored on a site along the Buffalo River a little bit in from the Ohio St. Bridge.

4 - Canal work on Aud site is still full steam ahead.  Not sure what the timeline was on this, but I don't see it being done, and ready for any winter activities(ice skating) this year.  

5 - Alumni plaza next to the FNC is coming along.  It looks like French Connection statues are in place, but covered up.

6 - Webster block fenced off, and no cars were parked there.  Not sure if this is temporary, or they are ready to put a shovel in the ground.

7 - Of course you can't have all this construction going on without a picket line in place, so a group of 50-100 picketers were at the entrance to the Donovan construction site.  Not sure what it was all about.

Edited by LabattBlue, 10 October 2012 - 09:42 AM.


#2 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,128 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostLabattBlue, on 10 October 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

Before yesterday, I hadn't taken a ride through the area in a few weeks.  Things are moving fast...

1 - Exterior walls going up on Donovan building.

2 - Casino steel is going up.

3 - New park space on outer harbor land(north of where Shooters used to be) is already cleared.  For those who didn't know, this is where they stored the ice boom for many years.  The ice boom is now stored on a site along the Buffalo River a little bit in from the Ohio St. Bridge.

4 - Canal work on Aud site is still full steam ahead.  Not sure what the timeline was on this, but I don't see it being done, and ready for any winter activities(ice skating) this year.  

5 - Alumni plaza next to the FNC is coming along.  It looks like French Connection statues are in place, but covered up.

6 - Webster block fenced off, and no cars were parked there.  Not sure if this is temporary, or they are ready to put a shovel in the ground.

7 - Of course you can't have all this construction going on without a picket line in place, so a group of 50-100 picketers were at the entrance to the Donovan construction site.  Not sure what it was all about.

Did they have a big inflatable rat?

#3 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,462 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheektowaga, NY

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 10 October 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

Did they have a big inflatable rat?

:lol: Bravo sir!

Glad to see all the progress taking place, it's about damn time.  Just in time for me to move away to get a job :(

#4 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western New York

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 10 October 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

Did they have a big inflatable rat?
Yeah.  Clearly a union picket.  Just don't know what construction trade was being targeted.

#5 cdexchange

cdexchange

    www.DiscsForDogs.org

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hamburg, NY

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

View PostLabattBlue, on 10 October 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

5 - Alumni plaza next to the FNC is coming along.  It looks like French Connection statues are in place, but covered up.


Unveiling is this Friday I believe, and the public is invited.  Sylvester mentioned it this morning on his radio show.

#6 K-9

K-9

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

View Postcdexchange, on 10 October 2012 - 10:57 AM, said:

Unveiling is this Friday I believe, and the public is invited.  Sylvester mentioned it this morning on his radio show.

Meh. Against the backdrop of NO HOCKEY this celebration rings hollow. Better for them to postpone it until better times return, imo.

GO SABRES!!!

#7 Oliver_Cromwell

Oliver_Cromwell

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostLabattBlue, on 10 October 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

Yeah.  Clearly a union picket.  Just don't know what construction trade was being targeted.
Gotta hand it to the unions. They know how to kill business. Gus Hall would be so proud of these boys.

#8 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

    Even John Scott outscored me.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

I wonder if TP has plans for Illinois St.? For those unsure, it's the street along the FNC parking garage. On the other side are brick warehouses and small industrial shops. With all the clubs and restaurants on Mississippi and the development next to the FNC, it makes no sense to leave this block of industrial property on a cobblestone street. They could be gentrified into more club and restaurant space, or maybe become the new home of the Buffalo Sports HOF.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot, 10 October 2012 - 05:15 PM.


#9 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,643 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Buffalo, "2nd best city to relocate to in America" -CNBC

http://www.cnbc.com/...50148/?slide=10

I have to say, if I had the money I'd be buying one of those new (old) lofts downtown.  I'd expect the value to go up pretty fast.

#10 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

    Dreamer of Dreams

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,600 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In your neighborhood.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 30 November 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

Buffalo, "2nd best city to relocate to in America" -CNBC

http://www.cnbc.com/...50148/?slide=10

I have to say, if I had the money I'd be buying one of those new (old) lofts downtown.  I'd expect the value to go up pretty fast.

Perhaps.  I'd rather wait to see if there's consensus, though, on what the article says. The article is a nice read, though.

What are they doing with the Donovan building, anyway?

Also, I think I mentioned this earlier in the Fall, but, the lakefront by the naval ships is marvelous.  It really stands up to others I've been to recently in terms of quaintness.  Can't wait to see what it'll be like when all of these other projects wrap up.

#11 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

    Brighter days ahead...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South of the city.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 30 November 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

Buffalo, "2nd best city to relocate to in America" -CNBC

http://www.cnbc.com/...50148/?slide=10

I have to say, if I had the money I'd be buying one of those new (old) lofts downtown.  I'd expect the value to go up pretty fast.

Agreed - I work on the Medical Campus, and I notice quite a few people actually walking to work, so they must be living downtown...  I think the city will be the place to be very soon (if it already isn't).

View Postsizzlemeister, on 04 December 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

Perhaps.  I'd rather wait to see if there's consensus, though, on what the article says. The article is a nice read, though.

What are they doing with the Donovan building, anyway?

Also, I think I mentioned this earlier in the Fall, but, the lakefront by the naval ships is marvelous.  It really stands up to others I've been to recently in terms of quaintness.  Can't wait to see what it'll be like when all of these other projects wrap up.

A Marriott Courtyard and law office are going into the old Donovan...  I think 2013 will be an exciting year for downtown Buffalo (unless the Mayans are right... :o )

#12 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

    Dreamer of Dreams

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,600 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In your neighborhood.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostSabre Dance, on 04 December 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

I think 2013 will be an exciting year for downtown Buffalo (unless the Mayans are right... :o )

You could be right. We'll see. Although I think that article is about 14 years late on the "arts" aspect of it. The "arts" scene has suffered considerably since 2000, notably theatre and music. Thanks to Shea's picking up the pieces of Studio Arena, and the constant output of starry-eyed college graduates from local theatre departments, the theatre scene is slowly picking up.

The music scene, however, is still hurting, badly. Not too many people go out to see shows...especially of "original" bands. We were strong, superficially, as a music community from '97-'98 to about 2003 or so. Then the people simply stopped coming, along with the city cracking down on some old haunts. The community, however, splintered fast because too few people were carrying the water and most were simply out for themselves (much like the theatre community was for a looonnnnng time until maybe 5 years ago or so when they started to finally get the idea).

Let's hope new blood comes to the area and is looking for some live music again.

Oooff, did I write all of that? What a tangent, sorry...





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: off topic