#2 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

My idle.
The very heart and soul of the logo on the jersey, everything the Sabres were, are and will be.
I can remember the Aud in the 70's, the smokey smell, especially the cigars.

#3 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

Am I the only one who gets a little frustrated when videos are posted that can't play on the iPhone?

#4 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

GBiD, thank you so much.  I feel bad--and I mean this--for younger fans that never saw him play.  There are two great Sabres--Perreault and Hasek--but only one spent his whole career with the team.  Perreault was an amazing player, and I'm not sure that folks that didn't see him realize it.  I mean, sure, everyone knows he's a legend, but if you didn't see him, it's probably different.  So thanks for the show.

Hopeful, those smoke-filled ramps, right?  And I was a little kid!

Ink, I'm on my backup computer (from 2004) and can watch it.  Are you outside of range or something?  I often have trouble with embedded vid at work, but not at home.  I have not tried on mobile devices.

PS:  Pierre Maguire, please ###### off.  You obviously have no idea what kind of hockey market Buffalo is.

Edited by Eleven, 06 October 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#5 BlueNGold

BlueNGold

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

Thanks Gilbert!!  Maybe my favorite sports player of all time.  The best.
Perhaps no one was better at the end to end rushes then Gilbert.  Maybe Wayne or Guy.

Love the stat:  Played 17 NHL seasons and averaged over a point a game!!
(Damn, he played 70-80 games/year for 17 years).

Edited by BlueNGold, 06 October 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#6 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

View PostEleven, on 06 October 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:

GBiD, thank you so much.  I feel bad--and I mean this--for younger fans that never saw him play.  There are two great Sabres--Perreault and Hasek--but only one spent his whole career with the team.  Perreault was an amazing player, and I'm not sure that folks that didn't see him realize it.  I mean, sure, everyone knows he's a legend, but if you didn't see him, it's probably different.  So thanks for the show.

Hopeful, those smoke-filled ramps, right?  And I was a little kid!

Ink, I'm on my backup computer (from 2004) and can watch it.  Are you outside of range or something?  I often have trouble with embedded vid at work, but not at home.  I have not tried on mobile devices.

PS:  Pierre Maguire, please ###### off.  You obviously have no idea what kind of hockey market Buffalo is.
yea, the ramps, I was born in 70, 1 month after the team played their first game, but my mum and dad had season tickets up to 95, when dad passed away. I went to games from a baby on up, idolizing Perreault all the way. Our seats were up, so as the smoke rose, it filled the air. I can remember as a 5 year old watching the finals against Philly, I fell asleep both games :(, but it did have a huge impact on me watching Gil and the boys move the puck.

#7 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

Used to love it whenever Bert would circle behind his net, gain possession, and Ted Darling would exclaim, "...Perreault, winding up in his own end..." I remember the very real adrenaline rush in my stomach, like when Juice got the ball, that he was gonna go end to end and pot one. There has never been a player to come close to that since.

For as long as we've lamented our hard luck pursuit of championships, we've been just as lucky to have seen a once in a lifetime talent like him.

GO BILLS!!!

#8 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,432 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

View Postinkman, on 06 October 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

Am I the only one who gets a little frustrated when videos are posted that can't play on the iPhone?

I'm right there with you on that one. It sucks.

#9 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

Thank you for posting this video.

I am old enough to remember watching Gilbert live in the Aud.  Thank goodness there are videos because watching Gilbert live I always missed some great play because things happened so fast.  I can't imagine playing against him.

I grew up in Toronto, but my mom was from Buffalo.  Whenever we visited family there we always ended up going to a Sabres or Bills game.  It was great.

When I was older my wife and I would go to see Dom play.  He was great, but I don't think he took charge of a game, probably due to the position he played, like Gilbert did.

Gilbert and the French Connection were a pleasure to watch.  Simply poetry in motion.

#10 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Gilbert Perreault is the Babe Ruth of Buffalo.  I can see it now... he'd take the puck and skate from behind his own net, the fans would all stand up. He'd go down the ice with his toothless mouth open, hair flying, beating everyone, then inevitably fake the goalie out too.That scene was replayed over and over in his heyday...it was an awesome spectacle and you'll never see anything like him again.

It's just too bad that the team wasn't able to overcome Bernie Parent and the Flyers in 75. It's also regrettable that Gilbert retired at the beginning of '86 season while still averaging a point a game. I think he wanted to end his career as a Canadien, but the small minded management wouldn't honor his wish.

Edited by 716, 07 October 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#11 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

View Post716, on 07 October 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

Gilbert Perreault was the Babe Ruth of Buffalo.  I can see it now... he'd take the puck and skate from behind his own net, the fans would all stand up. He'd go down the ice with his mouth open, hair flying, beating everyone, then inevitably fake the goalie out too.That scene was replayed over and over in his heyday...it was an awesome spectacle and you'll never see anything like him again.

It's just too bad that the team wasn't able to overcome Bernie Parent and the Flyers in 75. It's also regrettable that Gilbert retired at the beginning of '86 season while still averaging a point a game. I think he wanted to end his career as a Canadien, but the small minded management wouldn't honor his wish.

I agree with everything you said except the bolded.

I'm not buying what you are selling there.

#12 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 07 October 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

I agree with everything you said except the bolded.

I'm not buying what you are selling there.

I'm pretty sure he wanted to end his career with the Habs. The way he ended career, just quitting in the first third of a season...it wasn't fitting.

BTW GoBillsinDallas, thanks for posting the great video but it's Perreault, not Perrault.

Edited by 716, 07 October 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#13 etiennep99

etiennep99

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

This is a great video. BUT, I find it really annoying that they can't find better
clips of Perreault.  In some of these clips, he's even missing the net with his
shots.  Sure, they show his skating and stick-handling ability.  But, it's almost as
if the film makers were too lazy to dig through films, or worse yet, they had a bias
against the man.

Myself, I only saw him play for the last couple of years of his career, but
even then he was still turning defencemen inside out.  There HAVE to be
some more untapped highlight films out there.

#14 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,530 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

View Post716, on 07 October 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

It's also regrettable that Gilbert retired at the beginning of '86 season while still averaging a point a game. I think he wanted to end his career as a Canadien, but the small minded management wouldn't honor his wish.
The Canadiens and Sabres talked about a swap of Perreault and Guy Lafleur before the 81-82 seasons. Seymour Knox nixed the deal because he felt Perreault was in good shape and could play for several more years, while Lafleur was a known smoker. There's a quote to this effect in Budd Bailey's history of the Sabres, so the potential deal was for real. An interesting side note, according to Bailey, is that the owners of the respective teams held the talks, not the GMs.

#15 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 October 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

The Canadiens and Sabres talked about a swap of Perreault and Guy Lafleur before the 81-82 seasons. Seymour Knox nixed the deal because he felt Perreault was in good shape and could play for several more years, while Lafleur was a known smoker. There's a quote to this effect in Budd Bailey's history of the Sabres, so the potential deal was for real. An interesting side note, according to Bailey, is that the owners of the respective teams held the talks, not the GMs.

thank you for clarifying that.

#16 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,530 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostEleven, on 06 October 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:

The imagined slight. A Buffalo tradition and artform.

#17 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 October 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

How was that imagined?

#18 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 October 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

LOL. :clapping:

#19 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,530 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostEleven, on 07 October 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

How was that imagined?

Buffalo was a small market; the Sabres never won a Cup; they weren't a marquee franchise; it all affected Perreault's name recognition and reputation. Maguire's not saying anything controversial or offensive to Buffalo.

#20 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 October 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

Buffalo was a small market; the Sabres never won a Cup; they weren't a marquee franchise; it all affected Perreault's name recognition and reputation. Maguire's not saying anything controversial or offensive to Buffalo.
Buffalo is a small NFL market.  It is not a small NHL market.

#21 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 October 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

View Post716, on 07 October 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

thank you for clarifying that.

Yes.  Thank you, PA.

Apologies 716.  I was not aware of this.

#22 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 08 October 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

Yes.  Thank you, PA.

Apologies 716.  I was not aware of this.

I'm pretty sure he wanted to go to the Habs in '86 too in order to end his career at home.