Jump to content


The other sports thread

baseball basketball herring toss cricket Bandits non-Bills football jello wrestling boxing etc.

  • Please log in to reply
460 replies to this topic

#201 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

    dont pee into the wind

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Springville, NY

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

That was an entertaining SEC title game,  although Georgia woulda Prolly won if they had any clock management skills at the end of the game.   Bama ND it is,  can't wait til jan 7th

#202 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    Woof

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,126 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A stolen Panzer

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:16 AM

Seriously disappointed that Georgia lost.

At least I was at Crashed Ice instead! What an awesome event. Niagara Falls and Red Bull really know how to put on a show.

#203 deluca67

deluca67

    67 - The Number of the Beast!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,022 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:39 AM

View Postwyldnwoody44, on 01 December 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

That was an entertaining SEC title game,  although Georgia woulda Prolly won if they had any clock management skills at the end of the game.   Bama ND it is,  can't wait til jan 7th
Both teams did a horrible job with clock management. Alabama settle for a field go at the end of the half sitting on two timeouts. They could have/should have ran a couple of more plays.

#204 wjag

wjag

    Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,808 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just below the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Bama...  Delighted...  Now crush them blasphemers.

#205 bunomatic

bunomatic

    bunomatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,605 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nanaimo,B.C.,Canada

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

Kind of surprised there's no mention of the K.C. situation this weekend with the murder suicide. I thought it was very strange the way they made the game sort of into a memorial for the killer. This guy murdered the mother of his child by filling her full of bullets then orphaned said child. LOSER. That game shouldn't have been played out of respect to the victim of this crime. Its hard to feel sorry for him.

Edited by bunomatic, 03 December 2012 - 09:26 PM.


#206 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,401 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

View Postbunomatic, on 03 December 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

Kind of surprised there's no mention of the K.C. situation this weekend with the murder suicide. I thought it was very strange the way they made the game sort of into a memorial for the killer. This guy murdered the mother of his child by filling her full of bullets then orphaned said child. LOSER. That game shouldn't have been played out of respect to the victim of this crime. Its hard to feel sorry for him.

I think the moment of silence before the game was for victims of domestic violence and not for murderous/suicidal football players.  I may be wrong, but I don't think I am.

They played the game, and they were smart to do so.  They didn't glorify or excuse or exonerate or, actually, even acknowledge, Belcher's actions, other than the moment of silence.

What better way to fade into ignominy?  

If they hadn't played the game, it would have been, in some way, acknowledging their former teammate.  I'm glad they played.

#207 bunomatic

bunomatic

    bunomatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,605 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nanaimo,B.C.,Canada

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

View PostEleven, on 03 December 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

I think the moment of silence before the game was for victims of domestic violence and not for murderous/suicidal football players.  I may be wrong, but I don't think I am.

They played the game, and they were smart to do so.  They didn't glorify or excuse or exonerate or, actually, even acknowledge, Belcher's actions, other than the moment of silence.

What better way to fade into ignominy?  

If they hadn't played the game, it would have been, in some way, acknowledging their former teammate.  I'm glad they played.

  I see your point. Really when you look at it they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. It just pisses me off I guess. Senseless.

#208 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,401 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

I'm not usually a fan of Nike's uniform shenanigans, but this is pretty cool:

http://sports.yahoo....157--ncaaf.html

Edited by Eleven, 05 December 2012 - 11:48 PM.


#209 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    Woof

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,126 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A stolen Panzer

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

View PostEleven, on 05 December 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

I'm not usually a fan of Nike's uniform shenanigans, but this is pretty cool:

http://sports.yahoo....157--ncaaf.html

Very cool, but what's with the NCAA and Nike and black jerseys/kits? It's feels like the NHL circa 2003.

Edited by d4rksabre, 06 December 2012 - 12:21 AM.


#210 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

This is long overdue recognition of one of the best.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...-van-horne.html

I will never forget his call of Joe Carter's home run to win the 1993 World Series ...



... "touch 'em all Joe!" ...

#211 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,401 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

I've got to say that as much as I really don't like what ESPN has become, wow, the fact that it allowed this on its website is pretty cool.  It sums up what most of us already know, but still:

http://espn.go.com/n...s-health-safety

#212 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,423 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

Big dollars thrown around Los Angeles today.  Dodgers sign Zack Greinke for 6/$147M and then get Korean pitcher Ryu Hyun-jin for 6/$36M.

#213 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

    dont pee into the wind

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Springville, NY

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

I know it's not a huge game for most people , but as a navy veteran , I'm glad they beat army the other day

#214 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,786 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheektowaga, NY

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

View Postweave, on 09 December 2012 - 05:58 PM, said:

Big dollars thrown around Los Angeles today.  Dodgers sign Zack Greinke for 6/$147M and then get Korean pitcher Ryu Hyun-jin for 6/$36M.

I know less than nothing about the Korean pitcher, but that Greinke contract is patently absurd.

#215 bunomatic

bunomatic

    bunomatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,605 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nanaimo,B.C.,Canada

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 09 December 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

I know less than nothing about the Korean pitcher, but that Greinke contract is patently absurd.

  Dodgers sign who and who for how much ? Meanwhile over on the other thread people complain how much hockey players make relative to their skill set and ask what makes them so special. I've never heard of either of these guys but I'll admit I don't watch much ball.I also realize you can't compare pro hockey to the other big 3 but Jesus that kind of money is insane.

#216 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,401 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

View Postbunomatic, on 09 December 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

  Dodgers sign who and who for how much ? Meanwhile over on the other thread people complain how much hockey players make relative to their skill set and ask what makes them so special. I've never heard of either of these guys but I'll admit I don't watch much ball.I also realize you can't compare pro hockey to the other big 3 but Jesus that kind of money is insane.

You can be the best mime in the world.  A better mime than Brad Pitt is an actor.  And guess what?  He'll make more.  His medium is more popular.  This instant that hockey players realize that their market is 7 Canadian cities (4 of which actually matter on the global scale, and one of those, only because it's the nominal capital of the country) and 4 American cities (two of which matter--NYC and Filly--and two of which don't--Buffalo and Detroit), this gets done.

Because Chicago, Boston, Washington, LA, name your densely-populated US city here, they really don't care at all, when it comes down to it.

#217 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

Bump ...

The Blue Jays are going all-in in their efforts to *buy* a championship, or at least to complete with the Yanks and Sox.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...is-darnaud.html

Wow, just wow.

This after the huge trade with the Marlins and some FA signings too.

Where are my BJs?

#218 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,424 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 18 December 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

Bump ...

The Blue Jays are going all-in in their efforts to *buy* a championship, or at least to complete with the Yanks and Sox.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...is-darnaud.html

Wow, just wow.

This after the huge trade with the Marlins and some FA signings too.

Where are my BJs?

You have to ask nicely and bring flowers.  Maybe buy dinner first.

#219 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 18 December 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

You have to ask nicely and bring flowers.  Maybe buy dinner first.

Oh, pretty please with sugar on top and I have flowers in my pocket and a coupon for Wendys in the other.

You pounced on that dangily dangle pretty quickly.

Glad to see you're really on the job today.


EDIT:

By the way ...

I meant my loser baseball club that hasn't done a damn thing since 1993 ... :angel:  ... ;) .

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 18 December 2012 - 12:36 PM.


#220 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,401 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Four ESPN channels, none of which are showing any live sports.

#221 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,786 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheektowaga, NY

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

BCS title game tonight! ND is +9.5, I think they easily cover if not win outright.

#222 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,375 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Currently Unknown

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Getting hot dog buns and chips before heading to a friends where about 7-8ppl will be watching the title game. Gotta pull for Bama, sorry I am an SEC person.  Either way I expect a good game.

#223 MattPie

MattPie

    Driver move out.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ardennes Forest

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 07 January 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

Getting hot dog buns and chips before heading to a friends where about 7-8ppl will be watching the title game. Gotta pull for Bama, sorry I am an SEC person.  Either way I expect a good game.

What channel is it on? I might actually watch if it's over the air (and not on ABC, I don't pick that one up for some reason).

#224 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

    dont pee into the wind

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Springville, NY

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

View PostMattPie, on 07 January 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:



What channel is it on? I might actually watch if it's over the air (and not on ABC, I don't pick that one up for some reason).
ESPN tonight 830 kickoff I believe...... Roll Tide!!!!

#225 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,786 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheektowaga, NY

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 07 January 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

BCS title game tonight! ND is +9.5, I think they easily cover if not win outright.

I stand corrected.  Holy crap :cry:

#226 Taro T

Taro T

    It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,262 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 18 December 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

...

I meant my loser baseball club that hasn't done a damn thing since 1993 ... :angel:  ... ;) .
What do you mean they hadn't done anything since '93? :o  They pulled off the VERY rare feat of being 3 time defending champs after only winning 2 times.  (Thanks Don.)  Of course since '94, they've been about as special as the Expos. ;)

#227 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,401 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 07 January 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

I stand corrected.  Holy crap :cry:

Seriously.  What the hell is this?  Super Bowl 27?

#228 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,424 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

The Bills need anyone from this Notre Dame team.  You complete me.

#229 Sabills182

Sabills182

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochacha

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

I am a bummed ND fan, but we still had a good season

#230 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,401 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostSabills182, on 07 January 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

I am a bummed ND fan, but we still had a good season

Nothing to be ashamed about, that's for sure.  ND beat some good teams en route to an (heretofore) undefeated record.  I just don't think they were mentally prepared for the big one, and certainly, they are outmatched physically.  The latter, they were able to overcome this year.  The former, no.  And that's on the coach and captains.

#231 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,786 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheektowaga, NY

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

View PostEleven, on 07 January 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

Seriously.  What the hell is this?  Super Bowl 27?

I don't know if I was blinded by ND homerism, or my complete and utter disdain for Nick Saban, but I never saw anything like this happening.  This is awful.  And that sound you hear?  That was Te'o dropping to the mid-late 1st round.  Not saying he should based on one game, but I can't see him going top-10 now.

View PostSabills182, on 07 January 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

I am a bummed ND fan, but we still had a good season

Solace is that nobody expected them to even get to this point.  Hopefully they can build on this season going forward.

#232 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

    dont pee into the wind

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Springville, NY

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

SEC still sets the standard in the FBS. I wanted Alabama to win but I was expecting a 10 point difference, this was unexpected

#233 Sabills182

Sabills182

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochacha

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 07 January 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:



I don't know if I was blinded by ND homerism, or my complete and utter disdain for Nick Saban, but I never saw anything like this happening.  This is awful.  And that sound you hear?  That was Te'o dropping to the mid-late 1st round.  Not saying he should based on one game, but I can't see him going top-10 now.



Solace is that nobody expected them to even get to this point.  Hopefully they can build on this season going forward.

It will be tough losing the heart and soul of the defense.  Losing 4 starting offensive lineman could be a challenge.

#234 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,401 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

View Postwyldnwoody44, on 07 January 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

SEC still sets the standard in the FBS. I wanted Alabama to win but I was expecting a 10 point difference, this was unexpected

I just wanted a game.  I kind of wanted ND because it's been a while since they were cheated out of one in '93, and even longer since they won one in '88, and Alabama has had an abundance of riches since then.  Plus, a few friends are diehard Irish fans.  But really, I just wanted a good game.

Didn't get that good game!  This is kind of like watching a Stanley Cup Finals sweep when I've got no team to love or hate and just wanted it to go seven.

View PostSabills182, on 07 January 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

It will be tough losing the heart and soul of the defense.  Losing 4 starting offensive lineman could be a challenge.

Not to mention Te'o and, possibly, Nix, who is the angriest freaking NT I've seen in college ball ever.

What the hell was that between McCarron and Jones?

#235 Sabills182

Sabills182

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochacha

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

I don't think I have ever seen a center push his qb.  Especially being up 4 touchdows, wow.

Well that's it proud of my team, I'm ready for some Sabres hockey!

Edited by Sabills182, 07 January 2013 - 11:47 PM.


#236 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

    dont pee into the wind

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Springville, NY

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

View PostEleven, on 07 January 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:



I just wanted a game.  I kind of wanted ND because it's been a while since they were cheated out of one in '93, and even longer since they won one in '88, and Alabama has had an abundance of riches since then.  Plus, a few friends are diehard Irish fans.  But really, I just wanted a good game.

Didn't get that good game!  This is kind of like watching a Stanley Cup Finals sweep when I've got no team to love or hate and just wanted it to go seven.


I wanted a game as well. I get some good bantering out of it and won 50$ in bets. But overall the excitement was gone in the 2nd quarter

Not to mention Te'o and, possibly, Nix, who is the angriest freaking NT I've seen in college ball ever.

What the hell was that between McCarron and Jones?


#237 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,476 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

I am fully grateful that the Bills prepared me so well for soul crushing championship defeats.

#238 deluca67

deluca67

    67 - The Number of the Beast!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,022 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 07 January 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

I don't know if I was blinded by ND homerism, or my complete and utter disdain for Nick Saban, but I never saw anything like this happening.  This is awful.  And that sound you hear?  That was Te'o dropping to the mid-late 1st round.  Not saying he should based on one game, but I can't see him going top-10 now.



Solace is that nobody expected them to even get to this point.  Hopefully they can build on this season going forward.
Alabama has as close to a NFL offensive line as you could find in college football, Te'o looked very small and weak against the Alabama front. I wouldn't be shocked if he fell out of the 1st round.

ND was completely out matched in every aspect of the game.

#239 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,375 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Currently Unknown

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

View Postwyldnwoody44, on 07 January 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

SEC still sets the standard in the FBS. I wanted Alabama to win but I was expecting a 10 point difference, this was unexpected
I believe my friend worded it best when he said the real title game was played a month ago in Atlanta.  SEC is a level above.

#240 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,476 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 08 January 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

I believe my friend worded it best when he said the real title game was played a month ago in Atlanta.  SEC is a level above.

I didn't believe this, and I found ample evidence not to, but after last night, I have no doubt that LSU, Bama, and Georgia are a level above, SC, Florida, and TAMU are probably a little behind them. There is no doubt, this league should get an automatic bid to the playoffs when they start. Not that they'll need it.

That said, losing bowl games to Louisville, Northwestern, and Clemson shows that outside of Alabama, they are vulnerable in any given game.

Is Nick Saban the best "big game" coach in a generation?





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: baseball, basketball, herring toss, cricket, Bandits, non-Bills football, jello wrestling, boxing, etc.