#41 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

View Postbcardona, on 04 October 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

Wait no one mentioned Hickey Freeman?  I think their annual warehouse sale is in early November in Rochester.  I paid $500 or so for a real nice suit a few years ago.  It's my go-to.  Comfortable, quality.  Then make sure you go to reputable tailor ($75) to get it dialed in right. http://www.hickeyfre...lored-clothing/   (Sale will have the close-out styles but still TONS of selection the year I went).

Made in Rochester :thumbsup:

#42 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,657 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

Hey, my favorite shirt I own is a lighter shade of blue :(

Anyway, ended up with Jos A Bank--they had a buy 1 get 2 sale going on.  3 suits for $800, so I'm pretty happy with it.  Got a navy, charcoal (almost black, but just enough to it so I don't look like a funeral director :P ) and gray.  Once again, thanks everybody for the advice.

#43 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 04 October 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

Anyway, ended up with Jos A Bank--they had a buy 1 get 2 sale going on.  3 suits for $800, so I'm pretty happy with it.  Got a navy, charcoal (almost black, but just enough to it so I don't look like a funeral director :P ) and gray.  Once again, thanks everybody for the advice.

That's a hell of a deal. Nice work.

#44 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

Friend of mine just got moved to business development, so I sent him this for some suit ideas:

#45 carpandean

carpandean

If it ain't worth making a chart, it ain't worth saying.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 04 October 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

Blue shirts are a totally different story than blue suits.  I have numerous blue shirts in various shades.

As for the Jos A Bank sale, the buy 1 get 2 sale works out pretty well.  However, it should be noted that it's buy one at the list price and get two free.  Many times, that one suit regularly sells there for around 50-60% of the list price.  I was looking at one suit that I really liked, but didn't really need, which was priced at $495 for a long time.  I received an email about a buy 1 get 1 suit sale, so I immediately went to their website to look at that suit in two different colors.  Turns out that the suit listed for $900, so even under the sale, it would have been $450 per suit.  Had it been buy 1 get 2, that still would only have made them $300 a piece.  Have to watch those games.

Edited by carpandean, 04 October 2012 - 05:57 PM.

#46 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,657 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

View Postcarpandean, on 04 October 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

Blue shirts are a totally different story than blue suits.  I have numerous blue shirts in various shades.

As for the Jos A Bank sale, the buy 1 get 2 sale works out pretty well.  However, it should be noted that it's buy one at the list price and get two free.  Many times, that one suit regularly sells there for around 50-60% of the list price.  I was looking at one suit that I really liked, but didn't really need, which was priced at $495 for a long time.  I received an email about a buy 1 get 1 suit sale, so I immediately went to their website to look at that suit in two different colors.  Turns out that the suit listed for $900, so even under the sale, it would have been $450 per suit.  Had it been buy 1 get 2, that still would only have made them $300 a piece.  Have to watch those games.

Yea, I was a little wary of that, but I think $267 for each suit was still a good price.  Sure it would have been great to get buy 1 get 2 on the website prices (currently 66% off, which is what the store sale works out to...combining those would be lovely...and also probably put them out of business :P ), but I never expected that going in.  Plus, clothing is one of the few things I refuse to purchase online, so it all worked out nicely.

#47 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,838 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

freeman got a hickey?

#48 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,722 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 04 October 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

who said accessories weren't part of the suit :P

It was the most comfortable suit I've owned though, and it was a lot of fun to wear, vest and all.  The shirt, not so much, as I thought the company we got the suits from skimped on the shirt, but the rest of it was just awesome.  The only thing we were missing was a fedora :(

And one of those older machine guns!

#49 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,269 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 05 October 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

And one of those older machine guns!

Actually, we had toy Tommy Guns to hold during the ceremony and to walk into the reception.  :D

#50 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,722 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 05 October 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

Actually, we had toy Tommy Guns to hold during the ceremony and to walk into the reception.  :D

Sa-wheat

#51 korab rules

korab rules

spelunker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

Jos a bank is the best value, but the key to a decent suit is tailoring. A good tailor can make a so so suit look good, a bad tailor can make a good suit look awful. Before buying a suit, find a good tailor. Do NOT use the ones Jos a bank supplies. Find an old Italian cripple. Those huys know how to alter a suit.

#52 BuffaninATL

BuffaninATL

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 02 October 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

So in preparation for meeting the former First Lady, I've decided it's time to invest in a new suit (plus I'm on the job market next year so I need a couple new ones anyway).  Last time I purchased a suit was probably 7 years ago, so I'm a bit out of touch at the moment.  I'm not looking for the cheapest thing I can find, but I'm not exactly in the position to drop a grand on one suit either.  Any advice anybody has on A) places to look for a nice suit at a reasonable price and B) any general tips to keep in mind while shopping, would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  :)

what is your style / budget? I am an ex-pat Buffalonian but always had fantastic success at Get Dressed on Elmwood Ave,....I know the owner and he has direct ties to the Garment District in NYC. Great deals on top label stuff & he will do your measurements/tailoring for you.

PM me if you want to discuss further.....would be happy to help

#53 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,496 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

For the next time ...

http://travel.cnn.co...2646?hpt=hp_mid

#54 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

I just hit J Banks yesterday and the sale they have going on right now is ridiculous. Buy one item and get the next 2 free (I believe the sale was yesterday and today). I bought a cashmere sweater for $295 and got 2 more for free. I also had $25 coupons for every $100 spent. I walked out of there with those 3 after spending only $225. Go buy something as a gift and keep the other two for yourself - can't go wrong!

#55 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,496 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

View PostCallawaySabres, on 11 December 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

I just hit J Banks yesterday and the sale they have going on right now is ridiculous. Buy one item and get the next 2 free (I believe the sale was yesterday and today). I bought a cashmere sweater for $295 and got 2 more for free. I also had $25 coupons for every $100 spent. I walked out of there with those 3 after spending only $225. Go buy something as a gift and keep the other two for yourself - can't go wrong!

Oh, Georgie!

Is this cashmere?  It feels so soft.  When I was a young girl in Guatemala I dreamed of owning a cashmere sweater.

Wait, what's this?  It's a red dot!

It's nothing, quick lets put it back in the box.

It's a flaw.  You must return it at once.

#56 skaught

skaught

Rolston Centipede

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

View PostMattPie, on 04 October 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Friend of mine just got moved to business development, so I sent him this for some suit ideas:

It was only a matter of time before Don Cherry made it into this thread...

#57 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,838 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

Just bought a charcoal suit with tan windowpane and tan vest, a light grey two-piece with light blue pinstripe, and a medium grey blazer.  Can't wait to get 'em from the tailor.

#58 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,657 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 11 December 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

Oh, Georgie!

Is this cashmere?  It feels so soft.  When I was a young girl in Guatemala I dreamed of owning a cashmere sweater.

Wait, what's this?  It's a red dot!

It's nothing, quick lets put it back in the box.

It's a flaw.  You must return it at once.

I approve of this reference :thumbsup:

#59 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,299 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

View PostCallawaySabres, on 11 December 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

My friend just picked up suits for his entire wedding party there.  I'm a little worried to see what they will end up being though.  I don't trust his taste in clothes.

Edited by shrader, 12 December 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#60 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

FWIW, I think every guy should take some time at some point in his life to just learn about clothes. How clothes/shoes are made, quality issues, fabrics, the whole nine yards. We wear clothes every day of our lives and it often involves a non-trivial investment. Education is a good thing, even if it isn’t perceived to be the most masculine of subjects.
For anyone interested in learning about anything regarding men’s clothes – just go here:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com

Their forums are great and are filled with people as knowledgeable in their area of expertise/hobby as anywhere.  Pretty much any question you would ever want to ask has already been asked and answered. Topics from JCPenney shirts to the finest custom made Italian suits are covered. If you don’t know the difference between a full and half canvased suit – read this:

http://www.askandyab...-etc.-explained

My last comment has to do with Jos.A. Bank.  I detest that business.  Here in DC, they BLUDGEON us with their obnoxious over the top commercials for their weekly sales.  Buy ONE pair of socks – get a JAB franchise FREE!

I personally hate their business model as a consumer.  Just price the suits correctly in the 1st place.  No one is getting three $750 suits for just $750.  They would go out of business. They have this sale, or similar ones, ALL THE TIME. In fact, the sale prices are clearly their “regular” prices they happen so often.

So, instead of buying one $250 suit – they get you to buy three $250 suits for $750. JAB is more like Costco than Brooks Brothers.
(Note, I’m not commenting on quality, just their business model.)

#61 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

View PostSDS, on 12 December 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

FWIW, I think every guy should take some time at some point in his life to just learn about clothes. How clothes/shoes are made, quality issues, fabrics, the whole nine yards. We wear clothes every day of our lives and it often involves a non-trivial investment. Education is a good thing, even if it isn’t perceived to be the most masculine of subjects.
For anyone interested in learning about anything regarding men’s clothes – just go here:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com

Their forums are great and are filled with people as knowledgeable in their area of expertise/hobby as anywhere.  Pretty much any question you would ever want to ask has already been asked and answered. Topics from JCPenney shirts to the finest custom made Italian suits are covered. If you don’t know the difference between a full and half canvased suit – read this:

http://www.askandyab...-etc.-explained

My last comment has to do with Jos.A. Bank.  I detest that business.  Here in DC, they BLUDGEON us with their obnoxious over the top commercials for their weekly sales.  Buy ONE pair of socks – get a JAB franchise FREE!

I personally hate their business model as a consumer.  Just price the suits correctly in the 1st place.  No one is getting three $750 suits for just $750.  They would go out of business. They have this sale, or similar ones, ALL THE TIME. In fact, the sale prices are clearly their “regular” prices they happen so often.

So, instead of buying one $250 suit – they get you to buy three $250 suits for $750. JAB is more like Costco than Brooks Brothers.
(Note, I’m not commenting on quality, just their business model.)

Most 100% cashmere sweaters I have seen are in the $300 range so in this case, getting 3 for around $250 was a pretty big steal in my book. Tough to say on the suits as there is such a big range in quality so you may be right there.....

#62 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

View PostCallawaySabres, on 12 December 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

Most 100% cashmere sweaters I have seen are in the $300 range so in this case, getting 3 for around $250 was a pretty big steal in my book. Tough to say on the suits as there is such a big range in quality so you may be right there.....

It's simple math, simple economics. Unless they are loss leaders or are clearing out limited unmovable inventory, then they are still making a decent profit on these 3 for 1 sales.  So, either those $300 sweaters are just as overpriced as JAB's or JAB's product is a lesser quality.

Ain't nothing for free in this life. There is a reason you got a "deal" and I doubt it is due to JAB's charitable ways.

#63 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostCallawaySabres, on 12 December 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

BTW, if you like your sweaters for the price you paid - that is all that matters.

I'm just openly discussing their pricing strategies and putting some rationalization behind it all.

#64 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostSDS, on 12 December 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

BTW, if you like your sweaters for the price you paid - that is all that matters.

I'm just openly discussing their pricing strategies and putting some rationalization behind it all.

You had to ruin it for me didn't you  - with the Bills and the Sabres being who they are, a little feel good purchase just couldn't slip by..... :cry:

#65 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostCallawaySabres, on 12 December 2012 - 02:56 PM, said:

You had to ruin it for me didn't you  - with the Bills and the Sabres being who they are, a little feel good purchase just couldn't slip by..... :cry:

Sorry man. :blush:

Here is another back of the envelope calculation. I just read on those forums I referenced that the Men's Wearhouse pays roughly $125 for a suit they sell for $400 (which is made for about $60-65 in China).  They sell one suit and that makes them $275.

Now, slap a $750 price tag on the same suit, but run a sale that is buy one get two free.  Now, you have $375 in product costs, but you just made $375 in profit and you got people fist pumping the great deal they got.  So, while they made less per suit, they stole a sale from MW and made more on volume.

I also realize this contradicts my earlier statement being that each suit is really only a $250 one. My only point is their sales are bogus - you pay what you pay and their sales are so frequent that no one really ever buys anything outside of those sales, so in effect, those are the regular prices.

#66 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

Geez, I could have written this myself.

http://business.time...too-many-sales/

More discussion on the lawsuit:

http://www.askandyab...ptive-marketing

#67 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,722 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

Sounds like Kohl's.  Coupons, store credit money, etc.

#68 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

View PostSDS, on 12 December 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I suspect this falls into the category that many men reserve for computers, cars, and the ######: you know it's there, you know you should know more about it, but as long as everything is humming along OK you ignore it. :)

EDIT: ###### rhymes with Delores. ;)

Edited by MattPie, 12 December 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#69 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostMattPie, on 12 December 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I suspect this falls into the category that many men reserve for computers, cars, and the ######: you know it's there, you know you should know more about it, but as long as everything is humming along OK you ignore it. :)

Ignore the ###### at your own peril. :)

#70 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

View PostMattPie, on 12 December 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

I thought it was Mulva.

#71 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

So, this place seems pretty awesome. Ordered two 3" wide ties and at $15 each they are pretty awesome. They are well thought of throughout the internet forums.  I just ordered another tie, 4 pockets squares ($5 each) and a 1" tie bar ($15).  No need to wait for sales or pay more than $20 per tie. Shipping is a flat rate $6.

https://www.thetiebar.com/

#72 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,269 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

Just got a $75 gift card to Men's Warehouse from my girlfriend's brother from Christmas.  Now if only I didn't have to work the remainder of the week :(  gonna go suit shopping this weekend.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OFF TOPIC