71 replies to this topic

#1 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,904 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

So in preparation for meeting the former First Lady, I've decided it's time to invest in a new suit (plus I'm on the job market next year so I need a couple new ones anyway).  Last time I purchased a suit was probably 7 years ago, so I'm a bit out of touch at the moment.  I'm not looking for the cheapest thing I can find, but I'm not exactly in the position to drop a grand on one suit either.  Any advice anybody has on A) places to look for a nice suit at a reasonable price and B) any general tips to keep in mind while shopping, would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  :)

#2 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Not sure if it is an option in Buffalo, but I use these guys: http://www.tomjames.com/

...and if you want academic job market advice, I got a whole lot of that. :D

#3 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,861 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

Men's Warehouse usually has good two for one deals and whatnot, so check them out. Their suits are good and the tailors usually do a good job. But keep in mind that they're a chain, so you have to be scrupulous. Look each suit over top to bottom when it comes back for loose threads, stray ends, and any other imperfections and then make sure they take care of it. They will, but only if you pay attention to detail. Shouldn't cost you more than $700 for two suits.

There's nothing like a tailored suit. Maybe someone has a better local option for you in Buffalo.

#4 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

Blue, how often do you wear one?  I'm guessing not too often, based upon the fact that you've bought one in the last seven years.

In that case, honestly, just grab something from Jos. A. Bank and move on.  You'll get something nice for ~350, not great, but nice.

If you are going to have to wear one every day (trust me, this sux) because of a new job or something, you need a better strategy; drop me a line.

#5 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,165 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

What type of positions are you expecting to interview for?  Different cuts for different workplaces.  Engineering and business positions usually call for a more classic 2 button, single breasted suit.  I assume that won't be your route but you get the idea I guess.  The more conservative the crowd, the more classic cut recommended.  And if you are tall, go 3 button.  it is better proportioned for a tall man.

Oh, and I know you are on a budget but buying two suits is a good idea.  There is a good chance once you are interviewing that you will be called back for second interviews.  You'll want a second suit in another color for that second interview.

#6 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,788 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

FWIW bf says JCPenney.

#7 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,904 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice thus far.  At this point I certainly don't plan on needing to wear suits on a regular basis.  I'm going into academia (or as the current job market seems to point out, some combination of the grocery store and unemployment line :P ), so I certainly won't need to wear one every single day.  I basically need them for job interviews, which tend to last 2-3 days and for conferences which are also 2-3 days.  

Again, thanks for the suggestions!

#8 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,861 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 02 October 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

Thanks everyone for the advice thus far.  At this point I certainly don't plan on needing to wear suits on a regular basis.  I'm going into academia (or as the current job market seems to point out, some combination of the grocery store and unemployment line :P ), so I certainly won't need to wear one every single day.  I basically need them for job interviews, which tend to last 2-3 days and for conferences which are also 2-3 days.  

Just remember, if you're like me, you buy a suit and then 5 months later the pants don't fit. Buying a suit is literally the only motivation I have to keep doing sit-ups :blush:

#9 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,606 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 02 October 2012 - 10:20 PM, said:

Just remember, if you're like me, you buy a suit and then 5 months later the pants don't fit. Buying a suit is literally the only motivation I have to keep doing sit-ups :blush:
It doesn't hurt to see your PP once in awhile either.

#10 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,861 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

View Postinkman, on 02 October 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

It doesn't hurt to see your PP once in awhile either.

Fortunately mine converts often.

#11 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,606 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 02 October 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

Fortunately mine converts often.
Meh...one timers in the five hole.

#12 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,165 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:58 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 02 October 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

Yep.  Get two suits.  Men's Warehouse might be your best bet.

#13 elcrusho

elcrusho

Brent Hughes Fanclub President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

Slim suit, Black with Black shirt with a white tie - she'll remember you

#14 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

View Postelcrusho, on 03 October 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

Slim suit, Black with Black shirt with a white tie - she'll remember you

Fedora optional. :)

Men's Warehouse last year. Make sure you try it on after they alter it, mine were way too big around the waist.

#15 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:41 AM

Men's warehouse is where I plan on going, two for one deal.

#16 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

Or just go to China or Hong Kong.  You can get a really nice suit, custom tailored to your specs for around $75.  You pick out the wool and everything.  I have 5 or 6 that I've picked up over the past three years, and all are top notch materials and craftsmanship.  Much better than the last suit I bought at a department store.

While you're there, get some glasses if you need them... only $24 for the frame, lenses, and eye exam.

#17 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,165 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

View PostChileanSeaBass, on 03 October 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

Or just go to China or Hong Kong.  You can get a really nice suit, custom tailored to your specs for around $75.  You pick out the wool and everything.  I have 5 or 6 that I've picked up over the past three years, and all are top notch materials and craftsmanship.  Much better than the last suit I bought at a department store.

While you're there, get some glasses if you need them... only $24 for the frame, lenses, and eye exam.

I'm thinking that airfare and accommodations in Hong Kong aren't in his budget either.  :P

Actually, the premise is a good one.  I know a guy who buys custom tailored shirts from China online.  If you can get someone you trust to take your measurements this might be an option.  If I can track him down in a timely fashion I'll see if I can get the website he uses into this thread.

#18 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

J Banks - best suit for the money by a mile.......

#19 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,427 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

I gotta say it. Can we just shut this board down until hockey season. Jesus H. Christ.

I can't decide between the mouth, the ###### or the ######. Any thoughts?

Seriously, if someone needs shopping advice, shouldn't it be something interesting?

Hi, chz.

#20 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,904 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 03 October 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

I gotta say it. Can we just shut this board down until hockey season. Jesus H. Christ.

Seriously, if someone needs shopping advice, shouldn't it be something interesting?

Hi, chz.

From the guy who started a thread about the $Sabre$ Power Play branding :rolleyes:

#21 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,861 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 03 October 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

Hi, chz.

It's killing you to have nothing to complain about, isn't it?

#22 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

View Postweave, on 03 October 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

I'm thinking that airfare and accommodations in Hong Kong aren't in his budget either.  :P

Actually, the premise is a good one.  I know a guy who buys custom tailored shirts from China online.  If you can get someone you trust to take your measurements this might be an option.  If I can track him down in a timely fashion I'll see if I can get the website he uses into this thread.

I can't believe I left out the shirts!  You can get 10 for around $100.  The quality of the shirts I've gotten are alright, not nearly as nice as the suits, but still cheaper than most stores in the US.

Airfare, hotel and visa may not be in his budget, but why not treat yourself to a little vacation? :angel:

#23 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,427 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 03 October 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

It's killing you to have nothing to complain about, isn't it?

I could complain about chz's copying and pasting and artful deletions.

#24 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 03 October 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

I could complain about chz's copying and pasting and artful deletions.

I'm sorry but you need to wait a day to complain...

#25 gohansrage

gohansrage

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 02 October 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

FWIW bf says JCPenney.

I'm with Chz's boyfriend.  JCPenney's has very nice, modern cut suits for around $100.  The quality (in terms of how well the suit will be holding up under constant use) isn't great.  We used JCPenney for the suits for the guys in my wedding and they looked great.  Getting the pants and jacket (if needed) tailored also is a great way to make a less expensive suit really shine.

#26 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,936 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Any "oldtimers" here remember Jake "the ###", or Jake "the Snake", on Main St. downtown?

He was an ancient guy who would call out your measurements as you walked in the door.....and every judge, cop, and lawyer would go there to get $500 suits for $100. They were supposedly seconds, but nobody is going to ask questions when the entire judicial system is getting an 80% discount.

#27 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 03 October 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

Any "oldtimers" here remember Jake "the ###", or Jake "the Snake", on Main St. downtown?

No.

I can't remember what I had for breakfast, but I do remember Jake "The Snake" Roberts of the WWF.

#28 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

I agree with the advice to get 2 suits if you can swing it.  I would also probably lean in favor of a 3-button jacket, but 2-button is OK too.  As for color -- for interviews, keep it dark -- navy, charcoal, black, blue/gray, etc..  A subtle pattern is fine, but nothing flashy.

Otherwise, my primary advice is this:  it has to fit correctly.  If you look in the mirror and it doesn't look right -- it isn't.  If the jacket raises up in the shoulders when you lift your arms slightly and makes you look like Frankenstein -- no go.

The same goes for your shirts (for which, for interviews, I would recommend solid blue or white, with a non-button-down collar).

Good luck!

#29 Neo

Neo

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

I'm a "suit".  Together, I think our posters have covered it all.  Jos. A. Bank gives me the highest quality at the lowest price.  Its material and tailoring beats Men's Warehouse considerably.  I have custom made Tom James suits.  I love them.  They're noticeably finer (soft) and fit the way you'd expect custom made to fit.  They're expensive.  I'd not go this route unless you'll need a top end suit regularly or unless you have a trust fund.  The savings at JC Penny don't overcome the lesser quality.  Cheapest, yes.  Value, no.

I have met Laura, Barbara and Jeb Bush.  "Met" as in large function.  They don't know me from Adam.  I, however, know them to be as down to earth, loving, and gracious as any family I've met.  Enjoy, remember, and snap pictures.  They won't care if you're burlap sack or Savile Row.

#30 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:19 AM

I gotta think the first lady prefers a dark suit, white shirt and a cornflower blue tie based on how the president dresses.

I wear suits to work everyday and I tend to drop a few bucks on them now, but when I couldn't yet afford to do that I generally shopped at Macy's for my suits. I found the quality to be better than JCPennys. And the prices and the suit quality (for me, personally) to be better than the suits of my coworkers who shopped at MW(however, that could just be their tailor's fault). Also Macy's can make you feel a little trendy with some of the "intro designer" labels like DKNY, Calvin Klein, Hugo Boss and Ralph Lauren. You don't need to Drop $1200 bucks on a Brooks Brothers suit if you are only wearing it 3 times a year.

But anyways, I'd go with a traditional, classy, dark suit, but not plain black(come on, you're not a funeral director....no offense to any funeral directors). Maybe a dark charcoal or a black pinstripe. Depending on your size, 2 button if you want to look taller , and also match your socks to the suit (I'm 5'10" and i work with giants! I need all the help I can get). White or light blue solid shirts with either a solid tie or a tie with a subtle striping. Always remember, Classy, not flashy. The guy wearing the loudest outfit is compensating for something. The woman wearing the loudest outfit....well, that's a different story lol.

Yeah, I'm very into my fashion.

Edited by ubkev, 04 October 2012 - 06:22 AM.

#31 2ForTripping

2ForTripping

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

View Postubkev, on 04 October 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

I gotta think the first lady prefers a dark suit, white shirt and a cornflower blue tie based on how the president dresses.

I wear suits to work everyday and I tend to drop a few bucks on them now, but when I couldn't yet afford to do that I generally shopped at Macy's for my suits. I found the quality to be better than JCPennys. And the prices and the suit quality (for me, personally) to be better than the suits of my coworkers who shopped at MW(however, that could just be their tailor's fault). Also Macy's can make you feel a little trendy with some of the "intro designer" labels like DKNY, Calvin Klein, Hugo Boss and Ralph Lauren. You don't need to Drop $1200 bucks on a Brooks Brothers suit if you are only wearing it 3 times a year.

But anyways, I'd go with a traditional, classy, dark suit, but not plain black(come on, you're not a funeral director....no offense to any funeral directors). Maybe a dark charcoal or a black pinstripe. Depending on your size, 2 button if you want to look taller , and also match your socks to the suit (I'm 5'10" and i work with giants! I need all the help I can get). White or light blue solid shirts with either a solid tie or a tie with a subtle striping. Always remember, Classy, not flashy. The guy wearing the loudest outfit is compensating for something. The woman wearing the loudest outfit....well, that's a different story lol.

Yeah, I'm very into my fashion.
No offense to funeral directors!?! Being a funeral  director I do wear classic black and navy blue and charcoal grey double breasted suits, it fits my calling.  Classics never got out or style.

#32 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

View Post2ForTripping, on 04 October 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

No offense to funeral directors!?! Being a funeral  director I do wear classic black and navy blue and charcoal grey double breasted suits, it fits my calling.  Classics never got out or style.

Haha, I knew there was a funeral director on here. That's why I said no offense and it absolutely fits your calling. Like I said, wasn't trying to offend and you are absolutely right about the classics not going out of style.

#33 carpandean

carpandean

If it ain't worth making a chart, it ain't worth saying.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

View Post2ForTripping, on 04 October 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

It may just be me, but I remember a time when navy blue (with or without pinstripes) was the high-end (power) color suit, but now it is very difficult to find anything but a blazer in navy.  So much black and gray these days.  Navy blue with cordovan leathers (shoes, belt, wallet, possibly watch band) was particularly sharp.

Edit: of course, that could have been the same time that braces (suspenders) and shirts (blue, etc.) with contrasting white french-cuffs and collars were big, too.

Edited by carpandean, 04 October 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#34 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,861 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

I'll honest, I hate blue suits.

#35 carpandean

carpandean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 04 October 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

I'll honest, I hate blue suits.

Don't get me wrong, I'm talking a good dark navy.  Most other blue suits don't do it for me, either.

#36 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

View Postcarpandean, on 04 October 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm talking a good dark navy.  Most other blue suits don't do it for me, either.

Not even this?

#37 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

Personally, the favorite suit I have ever owned is my 1920's style pinstrips that we had to get for my cousin's wedding.  Wanna talk about good time? Attached File  IMG_1415.JPG   161.53K   33 downloads

#38 carpandean

carpandean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 04 October 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Well, there are always exceptions. :thumbsup:

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 04 October 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

Personally, the favorite suit I have ever owned is my 1920's style pinstrips that we had to get for my cousin's wedding.  Wanna talk about good time?

My striped pajamas look good, too, when ... er ... properly accessorized. ;)

#39 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

View Postcarpandean, on 04 October 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

Well, there are always exceptions. :thumbsup:

My striped pajamas look good, too, when ... er ... properly accessorized. ;)

who said accessories weren't part of the suit :P

It was the most comfortable suit I've owned though, and it was a lot of fun to wear, vest and all.  The shirt, not so much, as I thought the company we got the suits from skimped on the shirt, but the rest of it was just awesome.  The only thing we were missing was a fedora :(

#40 bcardona

bcardona

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

Wait no one mentioned Hickey Freeman?  I think their annual warehouse sale is in early November in Rochester.  I paid $500 or so for a real nice suit a few years ago.  It's my go-to.  Comfortable, quality.  Then make sure you go to reputable tailor ($75) to get it dialed in right.    http://www.hickeyfre...lored-clothing/   (Sale will have the close-out styles but still TONS of selection the year I went).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OFF TOPIC