#41 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 30 September 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

This creme filled snack cake nickname nonsense needs to end.
I dont know any snack food named gringo... Just sayen  :-)

#42 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:43 AM

11 points in 4 games? wow!

#43 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,672 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 01 October 2012 - 07:43 AM, said:

11 points in 4 games? wow!
While I understand your enthusiasm, I'll be more impressed when he's puttin up points against competition that didn't just finish suckling their mamas teat.

#44 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

View Postinkman, on 01 October 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

While I understand your enthusiasm, I'll be more impressed when he's puttin up points against competition that didn't just finish suckling their mamas teat.

:w00t:

That's the common pre-game meal in the Q.

I think we were all looking forward to Grigorenko having his chance in the NHL this year.  I'm still hopeful, but that hope is fading fast.

#45 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

View Postinkman, on 01 October 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

HAHA! yes indeed, but still...just makes me excited, and impatient to see him in a Sabres sweater.

#46 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,559 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

I'm just glad Grigs decided to play in the Q versus going home to play in the KHL.  I have a feeling that would have been a bad omen.

#47 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,821 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

#48 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

View PostLabattBlue, on 01 October 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

I'm just glad Grigs decided to play in the Q versus going home to play in the KHL.  I have a feeling that would have been a bad omen.

I just hope he doesn't get lazy and bored in the Q if gets "too easy" for him.  Perhaps the KHL would have been a better option, a la Yakupov.

#49 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostChileanSeaBass, on 02 October 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

I just hope he doesn't get lazy and bored in the Q if gets "too easy" for him.  Perhaps the KHL would have been a better option, a la Yakupov.

Mark Spector Sports@SportsnetSpec

NYT reports that Nail Yakupov was a healthy scratch last night in KHL. That was Oil's fear, compared to starring in Sarnia.

Upon further review.... :angel:

#50 Lanny

Lanny

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 02 October 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

Mark Spector Sports@SportsnetSpec
NYT reports that Nail Yakupov was a healthy scratch last night in KHL. That was Oil's fear, compared to starring in Sarnia.

Upon further review.... :angel:
Was he scratched due to the questions of his eligibiliy? or has that been resolved?
http://prohockeytalk...deration-fined/

#51 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,201 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

Kris Baker@SabresProspects

ARMIA ALERT: The future #Sabres gunner has two goals in the first 9:10 of today's game. Assat leads the Pelicans 3-1 in the first.

#52 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

View PostLanny, on 02 October 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

Was he scratched due to the questions of his eligibiliy? or has that been resolved?
http://prohockeytalk...deration-fined/

He was scratched because of the nasty headshot he took the other day I'm thinkin. Or I could be totally wrong and have him mixed up with someone else. For some odd reason my mind just hasn't been into hockey lately.

#53 Punch

Punch

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

Sabres prospects update:

http://sabres.nhl.co...vid=DL|BUF|home

"Quebec Remparts centerman Mikhail Grigorenko (2012, first round) continued his torrid start to the QMJHL season, collecting three goals and three assists last week as the CHL’s top-ranked club earned six of a possible eight points. The productive effort vaulted Grigorenko into the league scoring lead with 17 points (6+11) through the Remparts’ first eight games."

#54 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,672 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

Sucks Grigs can't come to the "A".  He's clearly a man amongst boys.

#55 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,959 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostPunch, on 08 October 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

Sabres prospects update:

http://sabres.nhl.co...vid=DL|BUF|home

"Quebec Remparts centerman Mikhail Grigorenko (2012, first round) continued his torrid start to the QMJHL season, collecting three goals and three assists last week as the CHL’s top-ranked club earned six of a possible eight points. The productive effort vaulted Grigorenko into the league scoring lead with 17 points (6+11) through the Remparts’ first eight games."

Part of me is starting to wonder if the lockout is the best thing that can happen for the Sabres right now because their young guys will get experience in the interim and maybe be better prepared once the season resumes... if it does.

#56 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 08 October 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Part of me is starting to wonder if the lockout is the best thing that can happen for the Sabres right now because their young guys will get experience in the interim and maybe be better prepared once the season resumes... if it does.

Is the experience that Grigs is getting really helping him though? tearing thru a league with no competition, averaging slightly over 2pts/game?  Will that help his edge when he gets to the big league?

#57 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 09 October 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

Is the experience that Grigs is getting really helping him though? tearing thru a league with no competition, averaging slightly over 2pts/game?  Will that help his edge when he gets to the big league?

There are several players in the Q that would beg to differ with your assesment on no competition.
This should build his confidence, allow him to hone his skills with success and build leadership for him.

#58 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,672 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 09 October 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

Any chance he was referring to the half dozen other prospects that will get time in Rochester?

View PostHopefulFuture, on 09 October 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

There are several players in the Q that would beg to differ with your assesment on no competition.
This should build his confidence, allow him to hone his skills with success and build leadership for him.
Yeah skating circles around the competition, lighting them up like Christmas Trees is going to prepare him for the likes of Chara & Lucic.

#59 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

View Postinkman, on 09 October 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

1) Any chance he was referring to the half dozen other prospects that will get time in Rochester?

2) Yeah skating circles around the competition, lighting them up like Christmas Trees is going to prepare him for the likes of Chara & Lucic.

1) quite possibly.  I was still stuck on the previous posts of Grigs though so that thought bubble went right by me.
2) That's what I was trying to allude to

#60 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

View Postinkman, on 09 October 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

Any chance he was referring to the half dozen other prospects that will get time in Rochester?

Yeah skating circles around the competition, lighting them up like Christmas Trees is going to prepare him for the likes of Chara & Lucic.
Oh, I hadn't realized the soul reason for drafting him was specifically to counter the likes of Chara and Lucic.
The truth is, he wasn't drafted for that specific role. And if your that afraid of Chara and Lucic then 29 other teams may as well pack it in and call it a day. :o :doh:

#61 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

If Grigorenko continues his pace and walks all over the Q, I can't imagine it'll do much for the growth of his overall game. Sure it'll help his confidence/ego whatever, but his overall development as a hockey player, in my opinion, will be stunted.  Unless, of course, Patrick Roy is some sort of magician as a coach and is concerned with this.  

Girgensons, on the other hand, will get more out of his season even if he's a checking line winger in Rochester and only gets 20 points.  He's playing against tougher competition and will be forced to learn and adapt, and will be playing in a system (for better or worse) that is tailored to the Sabres.  

They are two different breeds of players and shouldn't be compared skill wise, but as far as development goes, and what they gain out of 2012-2013, I'm more optimistic for Girgensons.

#62 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

I miss hockey too much to over-think it, so I'm just excited that Grigs is doing well.

#63 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

Has there ever been a prospect harmed by patience in development?  Off the top of my head, none that I can think of.  Rushing a player, on the other hand, can absolutely be detrimental to development.  Grigorenko can work on his weaknesses while in the Q--strength and conditioning, skating, consistency.  It's not like he tore up the Russia-Canada challenge a few months back.  Maybe he's too good for the Q, but it's not going to hurt him to be there all year.  Girgensons might be ready for the AHL, but almost nobody has ever effectively made the jump from the USHL to the pros and really "hit" in the NHL.  Few teams even attempt this path for a prospect.  There's a reason for that, unless of course you happen to believe every team every year is doing it wrong.  I think it's a lot easier to ruin a prospect by fast-tracking his development than it is to kick start a glorious NHL career by moving faster.  If you believe like I do that the Sabres won't be a contender if and until their young centers develop, you'd be way more concerned about blowing it than getting them to the pros a year sooner.

#64 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

View PostHopefulFuture, on 09 October 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

Oh, I hadn't realized the soul reason for drafting him was specifically to counter the likes of Chara and Lucic.
The truth is, he wasn't drafted for that specific role. And if your that afraid of Chara and Lucic then 29 other teams may as well pack it in and call it a day. :o :doh:

To counter them? no.  He was drafted to be a scorer on this team. Lighting up the Q, and not being hit by big guys, or facing tough competition (tough in likes of Chara, Lucic, etc, who he would see against him most likely) is likely to not help him along as much as we'd like.

#65 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 09 October 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

Has there ever been a prospect harmed by patience in development?  Off the top of my head, none that I can think of.  Rushing a player, on the other hand, can absolutely be detrimental to development.  Grigorenko can work on his weaknesses while in the Q--strength and conditioning, skating, consistency.  It's not like he tore up the Russia-Canada challenge a few months back.  Maybe he's too good for the Q, but it's not going to hurt him to be there all year.  Girgensons might be ready for the AHL, but almost nobody has ever effectively made the jump from the USHL to the pros and really "hit" in the NHL.  Few teams even attempt this path for a prospect.  There's a reason for that, unless of course you happen to believe every team every year is doing it wrong.  I think it's a lot easier to ruin a prospect by fast-tracking his development than it is to kick start a glorious NHL career by moving faster.  If you believe like I do that the Sabres won't be a contender if and until their young centers develop, you'd be way more concerned about blowing it than getting them to the pros a year sooner.

I agree with you, but I think his development would just be better elsewhere rather than the Q.  How many players have we seen light up the Q or other Junior leagues, only to not cut it in the NHL? I just wish he could get some time in the A.

#66 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 09 October 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

I agree with you, but I think his development would just be better elsewhere rather than the Q.  How many players have we seen light up the Q or other Junior leagues, only to not cut it in the NHL? I just wish he could get some time in the A.

Funny how things work out sometimes; I think Grigorenko would probably be better served in the A and Girgensons in juniors...and instead we get the opposite situation.

#67 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,672 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 09 October 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

To counter them? no.  He was drafted to be a scorer on this team. Lighting up the Q, and not being hit by big guys, or facing tough competition (tough in likes of Chara, Lucic, etc, who he would
see against him most likely) is likely to not help him along as much as we'd like.
You complete me

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 09 October 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

Funny how things work out sometimes; I think Grigorenko would probably be better served in the A and Girgensons in juniors...and instead we get the opposite situation.
Agree 100%.   Hate where they are currently.

#68 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 09 October 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

I do agree with this.  I actually think Girgs may have been better off doing two years of college level at Vermont.  They have a decent program, and decent competition.

View Postinkman, on 09 October 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

You complete me

Agree 100%.   Hate where they are currently.

:lol: :thumbsup:

#69 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,201 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 09 October 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

Has there ever been a prospect harmed by patience in development?  Off the top of my head, none that I can think of.  Rushing a player, on the other hand, can absolutely be detrimental to development.  

I tend to agree with you, but in fairness we can't really say that we know of players who were hurt by rushing them into the NHL.  Intuitively, it makes sense, but it's not like there have been controlled experiments to prove the idea.   Rushed players that turn out busts may very well have been busts anyway, right?

#70 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

View Postweave, on 09 October 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

I tend to agree with you, but in fairness we can't really say that we know of players who were hurt by rushing them into the NHL.  Intuitively, it makes sense, but it's not like there have been controlled experiments to prove the idea.   Rushed players that turn out busts may very well have been busts anyway, right?

Absolutely.  Just like players who "paid their dues" and turned out to be really good may have turned out to be really good anyway.  I guess it's a situation where you have to trust the judgment of the organization...and depending where you stand on that, your mileage may vary :P

#71 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,542 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 09 October 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

I do agree with this.  I actually think Girgs may have been better off doing two years of college level at Vermont.  They have a decent program, and decent competition.

I think that would have probably been a very bad situation for him actually.  They have been bottoming out hard up there in the last couple years.  He was going to step in and have far too much expected of him as a freshman.  He would learn some good defensive hockey under Sneddon, but otherwise, I think that pressure had too much potential to be very negative.  As TrueBlue said, junior may very well have been a great path for him, much better than playing for the Catamounts anyway.

#72 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

View Postshrader, on 09 October 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

I think that would have probably been a very bad situation for him actually.  They have been bottoming out hard up there in the last couple years.  He was going to step in and have far too much expected of him as a freshman.  He would learn some good defensive hockey under Sneddon, but otherwise, I think that pressure had too much potential to be very negative.  As TrueBlue said, junior may very well have been a great path for him, much better than playing for the Catamounts anyway.

I was under the impression they were actually in good standing up there, but I haven't followed Vermont at all so my bad on that assumption. :oops: :D

#73 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,821 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

Grigorenko now with 20pts thru 9 games.

#74 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,192 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 14 October 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

That is heartening.

#75 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostEleven, on 14 October 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

That is heartening the best thing that is happening in hockey right now.
Fixed it for you.

#76 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 14 October 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

View PostEleven, on 14 October 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

That is heartening.

Not that I want to be linked with shrader's wet blanket club, but it is the Q.

He dominated the league last year, up until the injury and he would be expected to this year.  He is tearing it up even better than last year, but he really could use some stiffer competition.

#77 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,201 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

Grigorenko's complete year-to-date stat line: 10gp 9-13-22, +13, 4 PIM, 2 GWG, 2 PPG, 49% faceoffs, 27% shooting. #Sabres

#78 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

Armia with concussion.

#79 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:25 AM

View Postweave, on 17 October 2012 - 09:10 PM, said:

Grigorenko's complete year-to-date stat line: 10gp 9-13-22, +13, 4 PIM, 2 GWG, 2 PPG, 49% faceoffs, 27% shooting. #Sabres
ya but how many hits and blocked shots does he have!?!?!?!? Lol

#80 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,201 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:20 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 17 October 2012 - 10:29 PM, said:

Armia with concussion.

oh, snap.