93 replies to this topic

#1 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

So has anyone played the demo? If so thoughts?

Miller is the top rated goalie in the game i believe.

#2 BuffaloSoldier2010

BuffaloSoldier2010

your father's brother's cousin's former roommate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

If that's true then that's a little insane... not that i wont enjoy playing with him in my net!

I played the demo a touch, i'm hoping the graphics are a bit more polished in the final release as the image doesn't seem as sharp as in 12, but perhaps I'm just seeing things.  Regarding the actual gameplay though, the biggest difference i've noticed that effects gameplay are the wider turns and more accurate slap shots.  Should take some getting used to, but I'm looking forward to buying a copy when its released.

#3 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

Have not played the demo. But i am pretty excited for this game to come out.

Also, Dominik Hasek has been added the the "legends" roster which is pretty cool.

#4 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,000 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 30 August 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

Miller is the top rated goalie in the game i believe.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

There is some Indian programmer walking around California with a briefcase of unmarked bills which Ted Black delivered a few months ago.

WTF?

#5 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 30 August 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

:huh: :huh: :huh:

There is some Indian programmer walking around California with a briefcase of unmarked bills which Ted Black delivered a few months ago.

WTF?

Oh please, as if EA games ever have accurate ratings.  They lag behind reality by 2 years at least, and always give bonus points to the "name" players.  I'm pretty sure the game still lists Leino as one of our best players as well, so there.

#6 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

The new skating is gonna take some getting use to. Also the new AI awarness is making the game play alot different

#7 sabres13

sabres13

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

I'm really pumped for the game to come out. The new skating system is going to take a little bit to get use to but on the other hand it makes it feel more realistic. In addition, i get a kick out of some of the cutscenes like after you miss a shot or a goalie makes an outstanding save your player will look up to the ceiling. Also the AI has finally been upgraded. The basic one time pass left to right is not an automatic goal now.

Also the goalies are more agressive and move more when your in the offense zone. overall, this game is going to take sometime to get use too but these improvements were definitly needed. Also if you reserve the Stanley cup edition your copy of NHL 13 you dont have to look at Giroux on the cover. :thumbsup:

#8 thanes16

thanes16

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:38 AM

Two things make me hesitant to buy NHL 13. One is the small amount of trades/signings this off season. Two is the small possibility there will not be season this year. What makes me want to buy NHL 13 is the improvements made to the game.

#9 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

New skating system?  What's the story on that?

#10 SHAAAUGHT!!!

SHAAAUGHT!!!

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

The new skating engine does a couple things:
1) If you skate in a straight line your guy gets an auto speed burst
2) The physics engine will not allow you to stop or turn on a dime anymore
3) For manual speed burst you only have to click L3 once
4) You can hold the LT and your guy can skate backwards for more realistic player movement

The changes are long overdue, but the only one I don't like is #1.  In the demo it seems like a cheesy arcade move. I think they will end up fixing it or modifying it during the first couple of tuner updates.

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!, 31 August 2012 - 10:05 AM.

#11 sabres1970

sabres1970

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

Looks awesome but it would pain me to buy the game if the NHL is locked out.

#12 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,977 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

I didn't buy 12, so 13 is going to be a great upgrade. Looking forward to new unis and rosters, specifically a Sabres team without Roy.

#13 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 31 August 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

I didn't buy 12, so 13 is going to be a great upgrade. Looking forward to new unis and rosters, specifically a Sabres team without Roy.

This alone is enough reason to buy NHL13 :w00t:

#14 sabres13

sabres13

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

Also think of this.....if miller is the highest rated goalie in NHL 13 then maybe other players will be too. IMO leino will be rated 86 and Vanek 97 and Hodgson 95. Lol

#15 BuffaloSoldier2010

BuffaloSoldier2010

your father's brother's cousin's former roommate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

View Postshrader, on 31 August 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

New skating system?  What's the story on that?
It's not so much a new system as it is changes in what the players do.  Turns are much wider than they have been in the past, and there used to be a button you would press to push the puck ahead of you so you could skate faster, that has  been removed and now players do it automatically.  Acceleration and stopping also look and feel a lot more realistic.  Players even throw snow from their skates when making a quick stop or turn.

#16 Sbre zeke

Sbre zeke

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

http://www.hockeybuz...ááBuffalo's supposed ratings in the new game. Makes me really wonder about the offense.

#17 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

View PostSbre zeke, on 31 August 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

http://www.hockeybuz...´┐Ż´┐ŻBuffalo's supposed ratings in the new game. Makes me really wonder about the offense.

There's a few errors in there. Gerbe is listed as a wing, for instance.

#18 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,977 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostMattPie, on 31 August 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

This never gets old.

#19 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

View PostMattPie, on 31 August 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

I bet he's also listed at 5'6

#20 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:45 AM

I would like to see more of a discrepancy in player speeds.

#21 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

Haven't played the demo, never do,  but I did order it and I'll be back to report my findings on the 11th.
I'm hoping they fixed the loading and mid game freeze glitches.

#22 LTS

LTS

Who's next?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

Demo isn't bad.. I like the new skating system you can get fairly creative moving the puck with it.  The physics are nice.  The AI is better but eventually we'll all find the flaws and take advantage of it.

I'll be buying it.. there's no doubt about that.  

Curious to see how the GM Connected mode is in this..

#23 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

View PostBuffaloSoldier2010, on 30 August 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

If that's true then that's a little insane... not that i wont enjoy playing with him in my net!

I played the demo a touch, i'm hoping the graphics are a bit more polished in the final release as the image doesn't seem as sharp as in 12, but perhaps I'm just seeing things.  Regarding the actual gameplay though, the biggest difference i've noticed that effects gameplay are the wider turns and more accurate slap shots.  Should take some getting used to, but I'm looking forward to buying a copy when its released.

Big fan of the NHL series, so you can bet I'll be getting it. I'm a "EA Season Ticket" subscriber, which gives me "early access" to the game starting on Friday.

As for the graphics, I believe (can't confirm) that the demo is in 480p, possibly to make it a smaller download? I'm sure the graphics will be much sharper in the real game.

#24 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

Does it automatically make your team cower when a guy gets too close to your goaltender, or is there a button that puts you into Turtle mode?
Also, Is there a setting that you can use to make your players not hustle for the puck when your team is down by alot and just playing out the clock?
:nana:

If they really want to make the game more realistic, the ratings should fluctuate and randomly go up and down in season mode to simulate players going into slumps, or having hot/cold streaks

#25 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

No, but unless you

View Postapuszczalowski, on 04 September 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Does it automatically make your team cower when a guy gets too close to your goaltender, or is there a button that puts you into Turtle mode?
Also, Is there a setting that you can use to make your players not hustle for the puck when your team is down by alot and just playing out the clock?
:nana:

No, but apparently, if you're not up by 2 goals halway through the first period, the coach starts juggling his lines.

Also, your backup never gets to play.

#26 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

Apparently the disk drive in my PS3 died this weekend.  So I'm out of the market for any of these games for the immediate future.

#27 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

View Postshrader, on 05 September 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

Apparently the disk drive in my PS3 died this weekend.  So I'm out of the market for any of these games for the immediate future.

It's just a regular laptop SATA disk. Go buy one from NewEgg for <$50 (or upgrade your laptop (if you have one) and hand-down the laptop drive to the PS3). On my PS3, it only requires removing one phillips screw to replace it if I recall correctly.  On the plus side, it'll probably end up being a lot more space than the current drive.

Edited by MattPie, 05 September 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#28 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

View PostMattPie, on 05 September 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

It's just a regular laptop SATA disk. Go buy one from NewEgg for <$50 (or upgrade your laptop (if you have one) and hand-down the laptop drive to the PS3). On my PS3, it only requires removing one phillips screw to replace it if I recall correctly.  On the plus side, it'll probably end up being a lot more space than the current drive.

I don't know a thing about this stuff.  All I know is that it won't spin anymore.  Is that what you're talking about here?

#29 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

View Postshrader, on 05 September 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

I don't know a thing about this stuff.  All I know is that it won't spin anymore.  Is that what you're talking about here?
Yup, you should be able ot open up the PS3, unscrew and unplug the old drive and replace with a new one.
Is it the dvd drive that won't spin (place where you insert your disk) or is it the harddrive that won't work?

either way it shouldn't be a hard fix and most computer places can probably repair it for you for a decent cost

#30 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,831 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

Step one: unplug machine.

Oh, and Happy Birthday

#31 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

I don't know a thing about this stuff. All I know is that it won't spin anymore. Is that what you're talking about here?

View Postapuszczalowski, on 05 September 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

Yup, you should be able ot open up the PS3, unscrew and unplug the old drive and replace with a new one. Is it the dvd drive that won't spin (place where you insert your disk) or is it the harddrive that won't work? either way it shouldn't be a hard fix and most computer places can probably repair it for you for a decent cost

Yeah, sounds like I read that wrong based on your description. There's the optical/DVD/bluray drive in the PS3 (the one you put discs into) and there's also an internal hard drive (like a laptop or desktop). The hard drive on my version is fairly easy to replace, there's one screw and the drive slides out. The optical drive is more difficult to replace. Since you live in Boston, ask some friends and coworkers about taking the unit down to Chinatown. In Philly, there's folks down there that'll do repairs like this on the cheap. The main issue will be finding the replacement optical drive since they're not as common.

#32 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostMattPie, on 05 September 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

Yeah, sounds like I read that wrong based on your description. There's the optical/DVD/bluray drive in the PS3 (the one you put discs into) and there's also an internal hard drive (like a laptop or desktop). The hard drive on my version is fairly easy to replace, there's one screw and the drive slides out. The optical drive is more difficult to replace. Since you live in Boston, ask some friends and coworkers about taking the unit down to Chinatown. In Philly, there's folks down there that'll do repairs like this on the cheap. The main issue will be finding the replacement optical drive since they're not as common.

Yeah, the hard drive works just fine.  I can still use the thing to go online or use any of the installed stuff.  I just can't use any game or bluray discs.  I've been told it's around $120 to fix, which seems stupid since a new one is $250.  Short of finding someone who likes to salvage parts, it doesn't sound like I'll be able to trade it in for a discount either.

#33 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

View Postshrader, on 05 September 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

Yeah, the hard drive works just fine.  I can still use the thing to go online or use any of the installed stuff.  I just can't use any game or bluray discs.  I've been told it's around $120 to fix, which seems stupid since a new one is $250.  Short of finding someone who likes to salvage parts, it doesn't sound like I'll be able to trade it in for a discount either.

Just a heads up, NHL 13 will be available for digital download from the PlayStation Store on release day (around 3AM on release date, if it follows suit with Madden 13). Since you won't need a physical copy, you'll be able to play even with your busted blue ray drive, and will be able to transfer it to a new system if you ever buy a new PS3. So if you have a high speed internet connection available, all you'll need is a debit card and something to do for about an hour while it downloads.

On a side note, my blu ray drive also died in my old PS3 last summer. I did a lot of googling trying to find a solution and while it probably is fix-able, I had problems finding the exact model numbers and everything you'd need, so I eventually gave in and just bought a new one. If I had known NHL and Madden would be digital downloads this year, maybe I wouldn't have -- they are the only games I play. :P

Anyway hope that helps, at least it would be something to do until you can no longer resist the urge to buy a new one.

#34 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

I don't have the hard drive space for that, but its interesting that they're doing that now.  When you bought the new one, did you have any data that you needed to transfer over?  I'm thinking I don't have anything other than game saves, so those shouldn't be too tough to move over.  Any downloadable content I can just re-download.

#35 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

View Postshrader, on 05 September 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

I don't have the hard drive space for that, but its interesting that they're doing that now.  When you bought the new one, did you have any data that you needed to transfer over?  I'm thinking I don't have anything other than game saves, so those shouldn't be too tough to move over.  Any downloadable content I can just re-download.

There's a menu item that'll back all your data up to a USB stick/drive, and then restore to a new machine.

#36 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

View PostMattPie, on 06 September 2012 - 08:19 AM, said:

There's a menu item that'll back all your data up to a USB stick/drive, and then restore to a new machine.

Sweet.  When I finally get around to spending the money, I'll be all set.  I've got a Wii sitting around that I haven't used in ages.  I'm hoping I can get at least a small amount of money on a trade back to help lessen the load a bit.  I've kicked into all out saving mode with a wedding coming up, so I don't really feel justified in just heading out and buying one right away.

And sorry for the hijack folks.  I'll go download the demo in the next couple days just so I can contribute here.

#37 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

Have you tried checking ebay for the disk drive? Sometimes you can find parts for them at a decent price on there and then you just need someone to do the swap for you (Might even be something you can do with a screwdriver

Also, did you try blowing into it? That used to always work to fix the old video game systems :P

Edited by apuszczalowski, 06 September 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#38 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

I miss those days and all the NES tricks. :clapping:

#39 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

Is anyone interested in putting together a PS3 NHL13 online league? Or, if anyone has a league and needs a player to fill the league, please let me know. thanks.

#40 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

View Postshrader, on 06 September 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

I miss those days and all the NES tricks. :clapping:
Good old catridge games
Everyone remembers being a kid and just blowing into the cartridge and system to fix the game and get it working again
An experience our children won't be able to experience anymore......

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off-Topic