#1 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

View Postcarpandean, on 22 August 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

By the way, Fender and Gibson (among others) use the term "bass guitar" on their websites.  Rickenbacker uses simply "bass" on theirs.

I *so* wanted a Rickenbacker when I was playing more. I'd still love one, but I really can't justify it.

#2 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,887 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

View PostMattPie, on 22 August 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

I *so* wanted a Rickenbacker when I was playing more. I'd still love one, but I really can't justify it.

I bought a nice guitar once.  It's got about as much use as the treadmill in the basement.

#3 BuffaloSoldier2010

BuffaloSoldier2010

your father's brother's cousin's former roommate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 21 August 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

There's no such thing.  There's a baritone guitar, but that still has six strings.

You're thinking of an electric bass.

Now you're just nitpicking... i play the damn thing and i call it a bass guitar :P

More of a standard guitar player myself though.  I'm have a Gibson 89 Les Paul custom with a red wine finish, and double humbuckers.  The things older than i am and has such a great tone to it.

Edited by BuffaloSoldier2010, 22 August 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#4 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

The vaunted Double Humbucker.

#5 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 22 August 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

I bought a nice guitar once.  It's got about as much use as the treadmill in the basement.

I'm in the same boat now. At one point, I probably spent more time at my buddy's house practicing than I did at home.

#6 Arcsabresfan41

Arcsabresfan41

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

I play guitar a couple hours per day, and have been for five years or so...no lessons either...so the little bit I know was self taught. It's my only hobby besides hockey.

#7 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,398 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

I like this topic :-)

I'd never been much into guitar playing. My father and brother play, but I always thought it was too "what everyone else does". I played saxophone and loved it.

A couple years ago I started getting into the blues. All the music I was listening to was boring me, and I listen to everything. I "discovered" Fred McDowell purely on accident, checking out a vinyl copy of the recently released Alan Lomax recordings at Bop Shop in Rochester; I fell in love.

The raw purity of fingerstyle finally made me want to play guitar. I listen to guys like Fred and Rev Peyton's Big Damn Band and how they play, and I just want to do that.

So I decided to try and find a guitar and learn. My girlfriend out of the blue says "oh I have an old Gibson lying around. It needs strings but you can use it if you want." I'm thinking to myself "Suuuure you do." But sure as ###### she produces a Gibson F-25 from her closet. :wub:

I don't get to play it as much as I'd like, but I'm sure I'll find more time this winter.

#8 Arcsabresfan41

Arcsabresfan41

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

That's a cool story...I like the blues as well, SRV, BB King, etc really influenced me...and I play sax as well, for the school band.

I'm saving up money for lessons, as a friend of mine who can really play has recommended a teacher to me...can't wait...

#9 carpandean

carpandean

If it ain't worth making a chart, it ain't worth saying.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

Love the blues, too.

And while some (including himself) would say that a white man can truly play the blues ... Clapton is God.

Oh, and [OT] Guitar thread in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ....

#10 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

View Postcarpandean, on 22 August 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

And while some (including himself) would say that a white man can truly play the blues ... Clapton is God.

You just plummeted down the Sabrespace poster Power Rankings..........

#11 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,887 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 22 August 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

You just plummeted down the Sabrespace poster Power Rankings..........

I'd say Clapton got much better after the death of his son.

#12 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

I think Clapton got worse when he sobered up.

#13 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 22 August 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

They all get worse after they sober up.

#14 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,616 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 22 August 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

Saw Clapton back in the day at the Aud...  Hands down the worst concert I ever saw...  Not even a close second.  He was so drunk, falling down, etc, it effected his singing..  Collossial waste of money...

#15 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

View Postwjag, on 22 August 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

Saw Clapton back in the day at the Aud...  Hands down the worst concert I ever saw...  Not even a close second.  He was so drunk, falling down, etc, it effected his singing..  Collossial waste of money...

Very much like the Van Morrison concert I went to in the late '98.

View Postweave, on 22 August 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

Good point.

#16 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 22 August 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

Good point.

I should clarify.

They all change after they sober up.  Seems like they lose their emotional edge.  The instrument play itself doesn't go away, and often gets better cuz they are sober, but the emotion and edge they used to create their music seems to subside when they purge their demons.

#17 Arcsabresfan41

Arcsabresfan41

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

View Postwjag, on 22 August 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

He once played an entire show on his back, head twisted sideways towards the mic laying on the ground.

View Postweave, on 22 August 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

Imagine Jimi without LSD...

#18 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

View Postweave, on 22 August 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

I should clarify.

They all change after they sober up.  Seems like they lose their emotional edge.  The instrument play itself doesn't go away, and often gets better cuz they are sober, but the emotion and edge they used to create their music seems to subside when they purge their demons.

I got it. They are far more creative before they sober up. When they do sober up they can better play what they created when they were high, but most new songs after they sober up aren't quite what they used to be.

#19 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

Since Carpandean was calling for it, here it is.  If chz feels so inclined she can move the thread bleed here.

Lets keep this to convo only.  Save the youtube clips for the Music in your head thread please.  General music discussion, likes/dislikes, instruments you play or want to learn how to play, etc etc.

Anywho, back to the topic that spawned this thread idea, Clapton.  Guitar god?  IMO he's an icon but not one of the greatest ever.  If Hendrix is Gretzky then Clapton is Yzerman.   Heck, as blues guitarists go I give Buddy Guy a nod over Clapton.

Lets see where this one goes.

#20 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

Clapton is to guitar what Jochen Hecht is to hockey. He swings like an 8th grade jazz band. I want to slit my wrists when he gets mentioned as some amazing musician. I actually respect his voice more....like I respect Hechct's defensive positioning.

Kids....don't buy it. If someone likes him....let them be.....they deserve to be happy...........

I have $1000 that Darcy Regier owns at least 3 Eric Clapton albums.

Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you know my weakness. I'd rather Ruff coach for 20 more years than have to listen to Eric Clapton 82 times a year.

#21 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 22 August 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

Clapton is to guitar what Jochen Hecht is to hockey. He swings like an 8th grade jazz band. I want to slit my wrists when he gets mentioned as some amazing musician. I actually respect his voice more....like I respect Hechct's defensive positioning.

Kids....don't buy it. If someone likes him....let them be.....they deserve to be happy...........

I have $1000 that Darcy Regier owns at least 3 Eric Clapton albums.

Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you know my weakness. I'd rather Ruff coach for 20 more years than have to listen to Eric Clapton 82 times a year.

OK, now I know you're broken.  :P

#22 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

View Postweave, on 22 August 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

If Hendrix is Gretzky then Clapton is Yzerman.  

:huh: :cry: :doh:  :wallbash: :censored: :wallbash:  

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

View Postweave, on 22 August 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

OK, now I know you're broken.  :P

I'm with him on this one. Eric Clapton is fine and all, but if I'm thinking about blues I'm thinking about Muddy Waters or BB King.

#24 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 22 August 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

:huh: :cry: :doh:  :wallbash: :censored: :wallbash:  

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:nana:

#25 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostMattPie, on 22 August 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

I'm with him on this one. Eric Clapton is fine and all, but if I'm thinking about blues I'm thinking about Muddy Waters or BB King.

We've got to get these posts moved.  I got the ###### ball rolling in a music thread.

#26 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

This has been a bad week for some of my favorite posters. We have you guys and Clapton......PA and DeLuca are spewing liberal drivel in the politics thread......I think Chz's boyfriend wants to either beat me up or mate with me........

I just watched some Stanley Jordan youtube to cheer me up.

#27 Chris_in_UT

Chris_in_UT

tie-dyer extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

great topic, weave.

as far as my likes go, i have everything from anael, enya and yanni to opeth, in this moment, tool, etc.i like my music to be intelligent, sophisticated, and relatively complex. key signature changes, time sig changes (and not just 4/4 to 3/4 ... we're talking "lateralus" complex for time changes). favorite band of all time: rush. after that, i have no second place band; i like them all pretty equally.

big into indie artists as well. met some of them. penny hill, samatha crain, and have aspirations to get marissa nadler out to the west side of things for a few tour dates.

as far as instruments go, i'd like to play the drums, but my wife has already said that i'd need to rent a storage unit for that. :(

i've seen barenaked ladies more times than i can count.

#28 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,887 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

My comment about Clapton wasn't to mean he does the blues like BB King.  I saw him at the Arena a few years back and his wrist was like rubber playing that guitar.  I like him.  I think he's a great but not best guitar player ever.  You won't convince me otherwise.

#29 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

A discussion about great guitarists? Best ever? Or one of the best? Cannot be qualified. Ever.

We often confuse innovative with better. Jimi Hendrix was innovative as well as being a great guitarist, obviously. But IMHO, he was only the second  best guitarist the Isley Brothers ever had.

I could go on but for my money the greatest guitarist I ever saw was Andre Segovia. I still don't know how he was able to do what he did with those short, fat sausages he had for fingers. Amazing. And I think he would have played Hendrix far, far easier than Hendrix would have played Segovia.

#30 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 22 August 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

My comment about Clapton wasn't to mean he does the blues like BB King.  I saw him at the Arena a few years back and his wrist was like rubber playing that guitar.  I like him.  I think he's a great but not best guitar player ever.  You won't convince me otherwise.

Nobody needs to be convinced...you like what you like. He's not bad....just like Hecht isn't bad. Some of his songs are good.

When so many people rave about him though, I feel like I am in some bizzaro world.

The thing about the blues, is it is the standard of entry. There are hundreds of Jazz, Gospel, etc. players that have soul and could crush the blues if they went that route full time commercial. That's why I say i like Clapton's voice better because he has a strong yet gravely tinge that maybe makes people feel his playing is more soulful that I view it.

To each their own.

#31 Arcsabresfan41

Arcsabresfan41

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

...if you wanna hang out, you've got to...take her out, Cocaine.....

#32 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostK-9, on 22 August 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

A discussion about great guitarists? Best ever? Or one of the best? Cannot be qualified. Ever.

We often confuse innovative with better. Jimi Hendrix was innovative as well as being a great guitarist, obviously. But IMHO, he was only the second  best guitarist the Isley Brothers ever had.

I could go on but for my money the greatest guitarist I ever saw was Andre Segovia. I still don't know how he was able to do what he did with those short, fat sausages he had for fingers. Amazing. And I think he would have played Hendrix far, far easier than Hendrix would have played Segovia.

Now we're cooking!

To me it's like grit in hockey. At the NHL level, there are plenty of talented and technical guys who can play the game and put up stats.....but who are the guys who can go into the corners, or stand their ground, or know when to lay someone out, or lead in the room. When I see it, I know it.

If we want to go mainstream, I love Eddie Van Halen. Even sober. Stevie Ray Vaughn deserves much of his praise as an overall performer as well even though not the most technical of wizzards.

Bigger jazz names.....John Scofield is innovative and good. George Benson was solid. Stanley Jordan is the Hendrix of contemporary playing. A guy under the radar who is great is Paul Bollenback.

#33 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

View PostArcsabresfan41, on 22 August 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

...if you wanna hang out, you've got to...take her out, Cocaine.....

Yes......Almost as inspiring as Ave Maria...... :)

#34 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

Kain refused the sacrifice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 22 August 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

This has been a bad week for some of my favorite posters. We have you guys and Clapton......PA and DeLuca are spewing liberal drivel in the politics thread......I think Chz's boyfriend wants to either beat me up or mate with me........

You are the very embodiment of my opposite, lol. Amazing :). Aside from Clapton, he doesn't bother me either way. Folk, Rock, Nu-metal, Jazz and Blues for me. I hate pop and I despise Metallica. Cool thread. Been listening to Bellowhead, The Calling, Nickleback and Disturbed mostly. However check out 'Bangarang' by Skrillex, thats pretty awesome.

Edited by RazielSabre, 22 August 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#35 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

The Clash.

The only band that ever mattered.

Nuff said.

Oh, and I fart around on the guitar and my brother is a drummer.

#36 Arcsabresfan41

Arcsabresfan41

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

As far as music, I like anything from Robert Johnson to Job For A Cowboy.

I am partial to any blues guitarist, favorites being Page, Hendrix, King, Beck, Johnson, SRV, etc.
My favorite guitarists in Rock/Metal include Zivojinovich ;) Broderick, Rhodes, Akerfeldt, Gilmour, Iommi, and Dimebag. Plenty more that aren't on the top of my head now...

Rush was my first favorite band, and they have stayed there. I knew the lyrics to subdivisions before I knew the name of the president of the US.

I HATE glam metal. The only genre, including rap, death core, drone, dark ambient, whatever, that I have an active hatred for. That's poison, crüe, winger, etc. and I dislike KiSS as well.

Edited by Arcsabresfan41, 23 August 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#37 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 22 August 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

Clapton is a great talent.  Personally, I think his musical style tended towards vanilla for a lot of his career, but I cannot deny his guitar talent.  He's got world class chops.  Another one like Clapton is John Mayer.  When he wants to he can make a guitar melt, but he seems content to cater his sound to the unwashed masses much of the time.

View PostArcsabresfan41, on 22 August 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

As far as music, I like anything from Robert Johnson to Job For A Cowboy.

I am partial to any blues guitarist, favorites being Page, Hendrix, King, Beck, Johnson, SRV, etc.
My favorite guitarists in Rock/Metal include Zivojinovich ;) Broderick, Rhodes, Akerfeldt, Gilmour, Iommi, and Dimebag. Plenty more that aren't on the top of my head now...

Rush was my first favorite band, and they have stayed there. I new the lyrics to subdivisions before I knew the name of the president of the US.

I HATE glam metal. The only genre, including rap, death core, drone, dark ambient, whatever, that I have an active hatred for. That's poison, crüe, winger, etc. and I dislike KiSS as well.

I'll second the general dislike for glam metal.  But I'll make an exception for *some* of Motley Crue's work.  They certainly had their moments where they were more about image than the music, but they were one of a very few in that era that could, and did (if not consistently) put out good music.

#38 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 22 August 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

Now we're cooking!

To me it's like grit in hockey. At the NHL level, there are plenty of talented and technical guys who can play the game and put up stats.....but who are the guys who can go into the corners, or stand their ground, or know when to lay someone out, or lead in the room. When I see it, I know it.

If we want to go mainstream, I love Eddie Van Halen. Even sober. Stevie Ray Vaughn deserves much of his praise as an overall performer as well even though not the most technical of wizzards.

Bigger jazz names.....John Scofield is innovative and good. George Benson was solid. Stanley Jordan is the Hendrix of contemporary playing. A guy under the radar who is great is Paul Bollenback.

No doubt! Each name you mention has got to be in the discussion. They can all muck in the corners or go on an end to end rush as far as I'm concerned. Chops are chops.

And then there's Andre Segovia.

#39 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,945 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 22 August 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

Layla?  Or are you giving Allman an Gordon credit for that?  I'll understand but the song is...pretty awesome.

#40 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

'Badge' from the 24 Nights CD at the Royal Albert Hall is one of the best. Nothing special by Clapton, just a great song!

Oops, weave's gonna be mad I didn't post this in his music thread.

That is all.

Edited by JJFIVEOH, 22 August 2012 - 04:20 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off Topic, Music