#41 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostArcsabresfan41, on 09 August 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

I'll be there, we play pregame, sit in the first eight rows until halftime, and play the halftime show as well, then watch the rest of the game! I'm very excited!
I'm assuming you're in a marching band? What do you play? What's your show like... Maybe we should do this in a PM...

#42 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 09 August 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

Yea the online streaming is Flash-based, which is why it won't work on the iPhone.

I don't know it's never been a problem before.

#43 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 09 August 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

I don't know it's never been a problem before.

Well then, your phone was simply doing you a favor by trying to get you to ignore the game :P

#44 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 09 August 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

Well then, your phone was simply doing you a favor by trying to get you to ignore the game :P

I guess so! Haha

#45 I'm Baaaaaaaaack

I'm Baaaaaaaaack

Prospect

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

16-0

#46 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

Just saw Fitzy was an eye-popping, scintillating 6-14 for 60 yards...  SSDD..  Our pop gun arm QB is in late season form already....

#47 Arcsabresfan41

Arcsabresfan41

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

View Postwjag, on 10 August 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Just saw Fitzy was an eye-popping, scintillating 6-14 for 60 yards...  SSDD..  Our pop gun arm QB is in late season form already....
He looked like Rodgers compared to Grossman, who was somewhere around 2-10 for 22 yards...

#48 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

View PostArcsabresfan41, on 10 August 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

He looked like Rodgers compared to Grossman, who was somewhere around 2-10 for 22 yards...

I really don't care how Fitz looked, it was the first preseason game.  Totally meaningless.  That said...comparing him to Grossman will NEVER make ANYBODY feel better ;)

#49 Lanny

Lanny

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 10 August 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

I really don't care how Fitz looked, it was the first preseason game.  Totally meaningless.  That said...comparing him to Grossman will NEVER make ANYBODY feel better ;)
Aaron Rodgers 2-8 16 yards
Drew Brees 2-8 8 yards

#50 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

Just saw Fitzy was an eye-popping, scintillating 6-14 for 60 yards... SSDD.. Our pop gun arm QB is in late season form already....

Did you watch the game?

Problem is, he isn't popgun. He is listening to the QB coach and now is delivering a faster ball that trajects higher on out routes. Yesterday were the first live bullets...and it didn't go well. He was visibly frustrated with himself.....but it goes beyond that. When you have a smart guy that plays off of feel.....sometimes the worst thing you can do is force him into a system. That being said, he has looked more accurate in camp and throws a stronger ball. He lasered a ball into a 1 foot window to Chandler on one play, then overthrew him when he was wide open 20 yards deep next.

I am sure Gailey is having conversations today about it. Do you take the approach that he will be able to master new techniques by opening day? If he doesn't....you are taking a big gamble because he will have to go back to instincts and now his mechanics will be all screwed up.

I'm not worried yet, as he had only 1 starting lineman yesterday in the correct spot. It was Glenn-Levitre-Urbik-Rinehardt-Hairston.......my guess is Hairston is the safer bet at LT at this point. Nelson is also an amazing security blanket.

And to PhD...they didn't run because they had a back in the backfield on 3 plays, and it would have been a shotgun draw. Obviously they were trying to get Fitz reps.

The refs were disgusting......not only was there the phantom touchback on the punt, but there was a screen to Spiller where Stevie whiffed on his block and just stuck an arm out to horse collar his guy.....Stevie got mauled in open field on a pass where 5 refs had to see it.....Glenn got away with a huge hold......I think it was Kyle Williams who was raped at the line one time......just horrible...and it was only 1 quarter.

#51 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 10 August 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

Did you watch the game?

Problem is, he isn't popgun. He is listening to the QB coach and now is delivering a faster ball that trajects higher on out routes. Yesterday were the first live bullets...and it didn't go well. He was visibly frustrated with himself.....but it goes beyond that. When you have a smart guy that plays off of feel.....sometimes the worst thing you can do is force him into a system. That being said, he has looked more accurate in camp and throws a stronger ball. He lasered a ball into a 1 foot window to Chandler on one play, then overthrew him when he was wide open 20 yards deep next.

I am sure Gailey is having conversations today about it. Do you take the approach that he will be able to master new techniques by opening day? If he doesn't....you are taking a big gamble because he will have to go back to instincts and now his mechanics will be all screwed up.

I'm not worried yet, as he had only 1 starting lineman yesterday in the correct spot. It was Glenn-Levitre-Urbik-Rinehardt-Hairston.......my guess is Hairston is the safer bet at LT at this point. Nelson is also an amazing security blanket.

And to PhD...they didn't run because they had a back in the backfield on 3 plays, and it would have been a shotgun draw. Obviously they were trying to get Fitz reps.

The refs were disgusting......not only was there the phantom touchback on the punt, but there was a screen to Spiller where Stevie whiffed on his block and just stuck an arm out to horse collar his guy.....Stevie got mauled in open field on a pass where 5 refs had to see it.....Glenn got away with a huge hold......I think it was Kyle Williams who was raped at the line one time......just horrible...and it was only 1 quarter.

You just put entirely too much effort into defending the Bills in the first preseason game.  I sincerely hope nobody puts any stock at all into that performance.  

As for Fitz's mechanics, my general feeling is that once a guy hits a certain point, they're not learning new mechanics regardless of how much coaching they get or effort they put in.  He's far from the first guy to have a QB coach try to tweak things...has any QB at age 29 ever made significant changes in their throwing mechanics which they stuck with for the rest of their career?  The only example I can think of off the top of my head is Rodgers, and that's because he had 4 years sitting on the bench to hammer things home--but he was younger than Fitz, and even then if he had to start I don't think those mechanics would have changed from his college days.

Lastly, if anybody used this many "excuses" to excuse a poor performance by the Sabres, you'd eviscerate them :P

#52 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 10 August 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

You just put entirely too much effort into defending the Bills in the first preseason game. I sincerely hope nobody puts any stock at all into that performance.

As for Fitz's mechanics, my general feeling is that once a guy hits a certain point, they're not learning new mechanics regardless of how much coaching they get or effort they put in. He's far from the first guy to have a QB coach try to tweak things...has any QB at age 29 ever made significant changes in their throwing mechanics which they stuck with for the rest of their career? The only example I can think of off the top of my head is Rodgers, and that's because he had 4 years sitting on the bench to hammer things home--but he was younger than Fitz, and even then if he had to start I don't think those mechanics would have changed from his college days.

Lastly, if anybody used this many "excuses" to excuse a poor performance by the Sabres, you'd eviscerate them :P

I'm really starting to question your reading comprehension skills......seriously.

Excuses? I'm showing concern over Fitzpatrick's performance and the fact they don't have much time to figure out if they want him to keep focusing on his new delivery or let him go with what he knows. Anyone that has watched him in camp sees a tighter ball with more velocity.....but they are getting away from him and he is frustrated.

I said the refs sucked and then gave multiple instances from both sides. The replacement refs need to be done with in a hurry.

Did you watch the game? Were you at the game? You called out no running game....yet if you were there you could see there was an empty backfield called for 85% of the plays. I told you why...and given Fitzpatrick's mechanics....I'm assuming it was done with purpose on getting him reps.

The only excuse I made was for the line....and it's pretty valid considering 1 of 5 starters was at their natural position.

#53 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 10 August 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

I'm really starting to question your reading comprehension skills......seriously.

Excuses? I'm showing concern over Fitzpatrick's performance and the fact they don't have much time to figure out if they want him to keep focusing on his new delivery or let him go with what he knows. Anyone that has watched him in camp sees a tighter ball with more velocity.....but they are getting away from him and he is frustrated.

I said the refs sucked and then gave multiple instances from both sides. The replacement refs need to be done with in a hurry.

Did you watch the game? Were you at the game? You called out no running game....yet if you were there you could see there was an empty backfield called for 85% of the plays. I told you why...and given Fitzpatrick's mechanics....I'm assuming it was done with purpose on getting him reps.

The only excuse I made was for the line....and it's pretty valid considering 1 of 5 starters was at their natural position.

Did you miss the quotes around "excuses" in my post?  The smiley at the end?  Lighten up, I was just having a little fun because you're so bullish on the Bills and down on the Sabres.

#54 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 10 August 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

Did you miss the quotes around "excuses" in my post?  The smiley at the end?  Lighten up, I was just having a little fun because you're so bullish on the Bills and down on the Sabres.

Sorry.....I saw the smiley......I'm just mad it started pouring in Saratoga.

#55 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 10 August 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

Sorry.....I saw the smiley......I'm just mad it started pouring in Saratoga.

Wanna ship some of that rain this way?  I'm actually annoyed it isn't raining...was supposed to rain yesterday and didn't, today and hasn't yet, and tomorrow.  I wanted to wash my car earlier in the week but didn't because of the forecast, so it better actually start raining soon!

#56 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 10 August 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

Did you watch the game?

No.. Just being a wise guy..  I heard he had a TD to SJ called back for some line penalty..

#57 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

View Postwjag, on 10 August 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

No.. Just being a wise guy..  I heard he had a TD to SJ called back for some line penalty..
wiseguy

#58 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

Chan and the coaches coming out in a hurry-up, no-huddle with an empty backfield and five wide had far less to do with Fitz than it did with them throwing Glenn and Hairston to the wolves to see what they've got and, just as importantly, needing to evaluate what they have in all the receivers not named Stevie Johnson.

GO BILLS!!!

#59 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:43 AM

Another spell binding performance by our pop gun QB.  This time against the team predicted to be the worst team in the league..  Another late season stat line: 8-11 for 56 yards and a TD.  If the TD was 31 yards, then his other 7 completions were 7 for 25 yards.. That's a smoking hot 4 yards per completion.  I can hear the chants for Young already.

#60 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

Its preseason. So im not too worked up.  I mean the pats and saints had a 7-6 game,  honestly there's no way in hell that happens in the regular season.  

But the replacement officiating is god awful,  Maybe that's the talent pool the nhl picks from after preseason is over.

#61 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

a few observations:
1) it's the preseason, and teams are not gameplanning, so I'm not too worried by what i see so far.
2) The officiating has been horrible from the replacement refs.  How are rookies and young players supposed to learn if they are being flagged for ridiculous things?
3) The starting defensive line generated a ton of pressure as just "plain vanilla" and, as said above, no game planning.

#62 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

Bills just released Merriman.  Surprise cut for anyone?

#63 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

Who?

#64 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 20 August 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

Who?

yeah exactly.  He hasn't shown anything since being here.

#65 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 20 August 2012 - 10:03 AM, said:

Bills just released Merriman.  Surprise cut for anyone?

Shocked, but not surprised really. It looks as though he was having problems making the transition to 43 DE. There have been reports that he wasn't winning his share of one on one battles in camp. And he's certainly been mediocre in the scrimmages. More than anything, Kyle Moore has impressed and it may just make more sense to invest in the younger player with higher ceiling at this point.

I hope Merriman can catch on with another team. It will probably have to be a 34 team but who knows. I think waiving him now gives him a better chance to catch on. I wish him luck.

GO BILLS!!!

#66 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

View PostK-9, on 20 August 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

Shocked, but not surprised really. It looks as though he was having problems making the transition to 43 DE. There have been reports that he wasn't winning his share of one on one battles in camp. And he's certainly been mediocre in the scrimmages. More than anything, Kyle Moore has impressed and it may just make more sense to invest in the younger player with higher ceiling at this point.

I hope Merriman can catch on with another team. It will probably have to be a 34 team but who knows. I think waiving him now gives him a better chance to catch on. I wish him luck.

GO BILLS!!!

He'll problem end up starting for the JETS.

#67 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

I've got to say I'm a bit bummed by this.  I was hoping that a few years off would bring him some level of rejuvenation.  I haven't been following the linebacker depth at Bills camp.  Are they are getting thin at LB?

#68 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

View Postwjag, on 20 August 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

I've got to say I'm a bit bummed by this.  I was hoping that a few years off would bring him some level of rejuvenation.  I haven't been following the linebacker depth at Bills camp.  Are they are getting thin at LB?
Merriman was a DE this year.

#69 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

View Postinkman, on 20 August 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

Merriman was a DE this year.

In theory yes.   But he doesn't have a DL body.  So I presume he was going to play like Lawrence Taylor did... A LB playing a standup DE.  Now I admit I have seen exactly zero plays of his, so I was just 'spaculating'..

#70 Punch

Punch

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

View Postwjag, on 20 August 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

In theory yes.   But he doesn't have a DL body.  So I presume he was going to play like Lawrence Taylor did... A LB playing a standup DE.  Now I admit I have seen exactly zero plays of his, so I was just 'spaculating'..

He was lining up exclusively at DE with his hand on the ground all through training camp and in each of the 2 preseason games so far. You're right about his body which is pretty much why he doesn't fit in with Wanny's 4-3. He was also mostly invisible against both Washington and Minnesota, FWIW.

#71 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

So I'm going to predict Fitz's stats before the game starts.  8-14, 98 yds, 1 TD

#72 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,887 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

The referees are terrible.

#73 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

View Postwjag, on 25 August 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

So I'm going to predict Fitz's stats before the game starts.  8-14, 98 yds, 1 TD

Pretty close.

Paul Hamilton@pham1717

Fitzpatrick is 7-of-18 for 89 yds.

#74 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 25 August 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

The referees are terrible.

They need to get the refs back. Just for the gambling integrity. When you have someone knowing they are fired in a matter of weeks.....and tens of millions are wagered.......shennanigans ensue.

The most impressive thing this preseason for me is that I am no longer worried about WR. Donald Jones looks likes he has made strides in needing where he needs to be, and he is such a physical specimen. Graham is also looking like a keeper. He is built sturdy for a speed guy.

I think there is depth on this team this year. The biggest question is CB. I still don't understand why Florence was let go, unless he has a questionable work ethic behind the scenes or something. Gilmore is not afraid to take chances, but there will be times he will whiff. Williams just doesn't feel like a good starter. Poor McGee is getting torched tonight...hopefully he is just full of rust. Other than that position, I am happy with depth, even at LB.

#75 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,629 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 25 August 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

They need to get the refs back. Just for the gambling integrity. When you have someone knowing they are fired in a matter of weeks.....and tens of millions are wagered.......shennanigans ensue.

The most impressive thing this preseason for me is that I am no longer worried about WR. Donald Jones looks likes he has made strides in needing where he needs to be, and he is such a physical specimen. Graham is also looking like a keeper. He is built sturdy for a speed guy.

I think there is depth on this team this year. The biggest question is CB. I still don't understand why Florence was let go, unless he has a questionable work ethic behind the scenes or something. Gilmore is not afraid to take chances, but there will be times he will whiff. Williams just doesn't feel like a good starter. Poor McGee is getting torched tonight...hopefully he is just full of rust. Other than that position, I am happy with depth, even at LB.

Hahahahahaha oh, that's rich.

#76 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

View PostEleven, on 25 August 2012 - 08:44 PM, said:

Hahahahahaha oh, that's rich.

You don't think the NFL knows where their bread is buttered?

Without gambling, cut franchise values in half.

The point being.....someone making $3K a game with an employment outlook of weeks, can be gotten to much easier that regular refs. Who cares about $3K when someone comes to you with a few envelopes with $50K in it to make sure Pitt covers?

#77 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,629 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 25 August 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

You don't think the NFL knows where their bread is buttered?

Without gambling, cut franchise values in half.

The point being.....someone making $3K a game with an employment outlook of weeks, can be gotten to much easier that regular refs. Who cares about $3K when someone comes to you with a few envelopes with $50K in it to make sure Pitt covers?

Oh, I understand all of that.

It was the phrase "gambling integrity" that had me going.

#78 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:37 AM

Superbowl.

#79 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 25 August 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

So that 99 yard Pittsburgh drive to end the first half sure feels like a bad omen...  Football is a game of inches and Pitt kept their drive alive.   They then drove it down the throats of the Bills...   The Bills looked good for 1 quarter and that was it.  Pitt was banged up, on the road and still won the trenches play.

Edited by wjag, 26 August 2012 - 08:41 AM.

#80 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

Schefter reporting bills acquires seattles tavaris jackson for a draft pick,  that pick not disclosed yet.....

Well idk how much of an improvement it'll be,  but thigpen is terrible and young is ridiculously inconsistent.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: off topic, bills, football, off topic, American Football