Jump to content


TPegs commissions statue of French Connection


  • Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#81 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

    Commander of the Armies of the North

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 14 July 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

The Sabres do plenty for charity.......which is why I am assuming they can't be so cheesey as to rig this for a profit. I can't find any mention of charity though.

The Bills are always good too. Ralph has found ways to slip some big checks to the community at times without any fanfare.

The players on BOTH teams are amazing off the ice. As much as I can complain about on-ice persona, there are tons of good hearted Sabres off the ice. I think the small town feel Buffalo has really helps that type of relationship.
But Ralph is Cheap!

As for the players, as bad as this is going to sound, I don't think this is really special to just Buffalo. Pro Athletes and sports teams are always working with charities. We had a photo of Boston Bruins players dressed in some embarrassing Halloween costumes

#82 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

A new addition to the FAQ on the brick project:

Where does the money for the brick orders go?

All net proceeds of the brick program will benefit the Buffalo Sabres Foundation.

#83 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,175 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 18 July 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

A new addition to the FAQ on the brick project:

Where does the money for the brick orders go?

All net proceeds of the brick program will benefit the Buffalo Sabres Foundation.

Thank you.

I will wait to be inspired properly with a BAC of .18 before I decide upon a tribute.

#84 elcrusho

elcrusho

    Brent Hughes Fanclub President

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:1194 Miles away from F'N Center in Orlando

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

Rocky has a statue too....

#85 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,360 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 18 July 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

A new addition to the FAQ on the brick project:

Where does the money for the brick orders go?

All net proceeds of the brick program will benefit the Buffalo Sabres Foundation.

I want to know more about just what this foundation does.  Anyone have details?

If legit, I'm in; if an income shelter / way to pay for alums to have "jobs," I'm out.

I will say that in eight years back here, I have not heard of any major initiative sponsored by said foundation, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

OTOH, there are plenty of very nice-sounding foundations that really don't do much except support a couple of execs.  

Need to know which way this one goes.

#86 Arcsabresfan41

Arcsabresfan41

    "Lead Balloon" Man, as stated by the ever whimsical KM

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:WNY

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:42 PM


"Stimulate, support and encourage organizations that serve Western New York which are committed to youth hockey initiatives; the health, wellness and education of underprivileged /disadvantaged youth and military personnel; and physically and mentally challenged athlete, by providing financial generosity and other platforms for their endeavors. Through such support these organizations will realize their highest potential, thereby allowing their members to gain the confidence and integrity necessary to succeed in life."
From sabres website...

#87 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,360 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostArcsabresfan41, on 18 July 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

"Stimulate, support and encourage organizations that serve Western New York which are committed to youth hockey initiatives; the health, wellness and education of underprivileged /disadvantaged youth and military personnel; and physically and mentally challenged athlete, by providing financial generosity and other platforms for their endeavors. Through such support these organizations will realize their highest potential, thereby allowing their members to gain the confidence and integrity necessary to succeed in life."
From sabres website...

Appreciate it, Arc, but I get that.  They all have mission statements. What does it actually do?Has anyone been to an event or youth league sponsored by the foundation?  Can anyone connect the mission statement to an actual benefit to the community?  I know this reads skeptical, but mainly I'm curious.

Edited by Eleven, 18 July 2012 - 08:47 PM.


#88 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,175 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

View PostEleven, on 18 July 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

I want to know more about just what this foundation does.  Anyone have details?

If legit, I'm in; if an income shelter / way to pay for alums to have "jobs," I'm out.

I will say that in eight years back here, I have not heard of any major initiative sponsored by said foundation, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

OTOH, there are plenty of very nice-sounding foundations that really don't do much except support a couple of execs.  

Need to know which way this one goes.

Very good line of questioning, Grumpy Eleven!

While I have no access to their books, they have sponsored a breast cancer travel bus that raises awareness.....and they helped to build a baseball diamond for handicapped kids recently.

I have noticed an increase in high $$ items donated by the Sabres once Pegula took over and I attribute a lot of that to Mrs. Pegula taking an active role in assisting.

Any charity is a leap of faith. I know a lot of the wives and girlfriends donate time to this, and even though I abandoned my season tickets years ago...I still try and support the charity events the Sabres run. Larry Playfair has worked with me on certain aspects of this and he was as serious and dedicated as I could ask. So were the other former players involved.

Again....I have no problem calling them out on the ice...but off the ice this is one great town to live in, and those that have played here appreciate it.

#89 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 18 July 2012 - 11:05 PM, said:

Very good line of questioning, Grumpy Eleven!

While I have no access to their books, they have sponsored a breast cancer travel bus that raises awareness.....and they helped to build a baseball diamond for handicapped kids recently.

I have noticed an increase in high $$ items donated by the Sabres once Pegula took over and I attribute a lot of that to Mrs. Pegula taking an active role in assisting.

Any charity is a leap of faith. I know a lot of the wives and girlfriends donate time to this, and even though I abandoned my season tickets years ago...I still try and support the charity events the Sabres run. Larry Playfair has worked with me on certain aspects of this and he was as serious and dedicated as I could ask. So were the other former players involved.

Again....I have no problem calling them out on the ice...but off the ice this is one great town to live in, and those that have played here appreciate it.

Cliff Benson is the president.

Also, interestingly, there is not a single woman on the board of directors.

Edited by LastPommerFan, 19 July 2012 - 08:22 AM.


#90 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,397 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 19 July 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

Cliff Benson is the president.

Also, interestingly, there is not a single woman on the board of directors.

They don't have a broad of directors?

#91 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

View Postweave, on 19 July 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

They don't have a broad of directors?

Took a second...well played sir.

#92 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,175 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 19 July 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

Cliff Benson is the president.

Also, interestingly, there is not a single woman on the board of directors.

You know what?

I am confusing 2 separate groups that work together a lot of times.

The Alumni Association and the Sabres Foundation. Many times an alumni event puts the money towards the foundation.

Either way.....the players and their families always seem to work hard. I usually do the alumni events.

And yes, Benson is the president and makes many appearances at local schools and programs for disadvantaged little kids.

#93 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

    D63

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central NY (Fingerlakes)

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

The Sabres Foundation does a lot to schedule player visits, etc. to Buffalo Women and Children's hospital, that much I do know.

#94 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,360 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 23 July 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

The Sabres Foundation does a lot to schedule player visits, etc. to Buffalo Women and Children's hospital, that much I do know.

It's awesome that they do that.

It's also without cost.

#95 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,423 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Well, they started putting the first bricks up today.

Unfortunately they are being installed by temporary workers around the entrances.

#96 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,423 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Tonight at 7PM on MSG they are going to show the statue unveiling.

Followed by the May Day game at 8pm

#97 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,360 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

Saw the statue last week.  It's nice.

#98 Arcsabresfan41

Arcsabresfan41

    "Lead Balloon" Man, as stated by the ever whimsical KM

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:WNY

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

I saw it at the Rush concert, except my view was tainted because some drunk ###### was standing on the platform mooning everyone while getting his picture taken. Of course, he got away with it and then two guys were yelled at for being up there simply standing and smiling, getting their picture taken.

#99 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,998 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostArcsabresfan41, on 28 October 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

I saw it at the Rush concert, except my view was tainted because some drunk ###### was standing on the platform mooning everyone while getting his picture taken. Of course, he got away with it and then two guys were yelled at for being up there simply standing and smiling, getting their picture taken.

How's the view from up there?

EDIT:  How was the concert?  Can you even remember being there?

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 28 October 2012 - 09:20 AM.


#100 Arcsabresfan41

Arcsabresfan41

    "Lead Balloon" Man, as stated by the ever whimsical KM

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:WNY

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 28 October 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:



How's the view from up there?

EDIT:  How was the concert?  Can you even remember being there?
It's a bit hazy, but I don't think it was me... Then again...

I had a good time. Neil was on fire. "The Garden" is a beautiful song. Wish I would've been with someone, but none of my friends wanted to go.

#101 nobody

nobody

    Title? Someday...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,054 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:nowhere

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

I don't know which thread this should go in so I picked this one.

So it looks like besides increasing the number of statues at the FNC; the Sabres have been busy and added additional seats inside.

From BufNews:
"The Sabres have added and reconfigured seats, primarily in the 200 Level, and will now host 19,070 in First Niagara Center. The number is symbolic of the team’s 1970 founding. Previous capacity was 18,690."

Edited by nobody, 28 December 2012 - 12:58 PM.


#102 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,360 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

View Postnobody, on 28 December 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

I don't know which thread this so go in so I picked this one.

So it looks like besides increasing the number of statues at the FNC; the Sabres have been busy and added additional seats inside.

From BufNews:
"The Sabres have added and reconfigured seats, primarily in the 200 Level, and will now host 19,070 in First Niagara Center. The number is symbolic of the team’s 1970 founding. Previous capacity was 18,690."

Very interesting.  I wonder where the extra 400 seats went.

#103 MattPie

MattPie

    Driver move out.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ardennes Forest

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

View PostEleven, on 28 December 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

Very interesting.  I wonder where the extra 400 seats went.

Directly in front of the centre ice camera. :)

#104 deluca67

deluca67

    67 - The Number of the Beast!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,019 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostEleven, on 28 December 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

Very interesting.  I wonder where the extra 400 seats went.
Interesting indeed, want percentage of  these extra seats will be sold to those on the season ticket waiting list or individual game sales.

#105 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,360 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

View PostDeLuca67, on 28 December 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

Interesting indeed, want percentage of  these extra seats will be sold to those on the season ticket waiting list or individual game sales.

200 level?  I'd bet you're looking at season ticket waiting list.

#106 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,423 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

I believe the seats are in the 200 ends. Someone going tonight let us know!