#41 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

View Postweave, on 12 July 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

So you are down to Hasek and Pominville?  I would never have predicted that!  :P :D

One is the Greatest Goalie Ever, the other will be the first Sabres player to ever touch the Stanley Cup. I think it's a good list. ;)

#42 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 12 July 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

One is the Greatest Goalie Ever, the other will be the first Sabres player to ever touch the Stanley Cup. I think it's a good list. ;)

your optimism gives me hope ;)

#43 sabills

sabills

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Guy who's doing the scuplture:

http://jerrymckenna.com/

Good stuff, but that guy lifting 6,500 pounds while smiling is the winner, lol

#44 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

View Postsabills, on 12 July 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

Guy who's doing the scuplture:

http://jerrymckenna.com/

Good stuff, but that guy lifting 6,500 pounds while smiling is the winner, lol

Hard not to smile when someone is tickling your armpit.

GO SABRES!!!

#45 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,138 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I think a statue to Gene Hackman, Roy Schneider and Fernado Rey is just plain a waste of money..

#46 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 12 July 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

Oh, I don't know about that.  A Sabre could be good friends with someone that has won it and they were over when that player had his time with the cup ... and said player allowed the Sabre player to touch it ... :P  ... ;) .

Hell, I was even allowed to touch it.  When we lived in Pittsburgh in the early 90's a good friend who played for the Penguins (he was their captain at the time) invited us over and he allowed me, my wife and some other friends of ours to touch it.

#47 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,988 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PostBuffaloSoldier2010, on 12 July 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

I wanna see a statue of Tsujimoto.

Taro sez:
build me a statue!

#48 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Photograph that's inspiring the sculpture:

Posted Image

#49 Falstaff

Falstaff

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

So apparently all 401 former Sabres are getting some sort of plaque on bricks?  Two questions, which one will be intentionally defaced first and who, in your opinion, will be the Mr. Irrelevant of that list of former Sabres??

For Mr. Irrelevant I vote Jeff Eatough with 1 GP, no points, no PIMS.

#50 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 12 July 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Oh, I don't know about that.  A Sabre could be good friends with someone that has won it and they were over when that player had his time with the cup ... and said player allowed the Sabre player to touch it ... :P  ... ;) .

Hell, I was even allowed to touch it.  When we lived in Pittsburgh in the early 90's a good friend who played for the Penguins (he was their captain at the time) invited us over and he allowed me, my wife and some other friends of ours to touch it.

If this happened, it explains why there are no SC banners in FNC.

#51 Rico7

Rico7

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

View Postnobody, on 12 July 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

Info can be found here:

www.sabres.com/alumniplaza

Shows the picture that is being used to make the sculpture.  Can pay for a brick to be installed.  Future spot to buy French Connection merchandise.

Very cool.....

#52 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

A player may have also signed or been traded from a previous cup winner and had touched it at that time. Or, like me, maybe they went to the HOF in Toronto and touched it on display? (I did, unfortunatly the guy standing by the door didn't look like he would allow me to scratch my name into it)

As for the first plaque defaced? Most deserving may be Slava Kozlov. I'm assuming they are going to have to continue replacing Tim Connollys due to it breaking everytime someone goes near it..........

#53 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

Sabres fans can also purchase for $100 and reserve custom plaques to be placed among those of the players.

I think DeLuca and Drane should buy plaques and have theirs on either side of Lindy's.

#54 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

Kain refused the sacrifice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

View PostClaude_Verret, on 13 July 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

I think DeLuca and Drane should buy plaques and have theirs on either side of Lindy's.

Maybe with the works 'Karma, bitch' inscribed next to them.

#55 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,640 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

We should buy one that says "Status Quo". Ya know, just for shits and giggles.

#56 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,081 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Are they putting plagues inside the urinals now?

#57 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,476 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

View Postshrader, on 13 July 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

Are they putting plagues inside the urinals now?

There always have been plagues in the urinals.

#58 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

I worked with a friend in Miami who met an untimely death in his 30's.......and he was such a huge Dolphins fan he was barred from (although it didn't stop him) the stadium after starting a brawl in the club section. In tribute I bought a big brick at the Ralph and inscribed "Go Bills!"

A few $$ on a joke when charity gets the money is well worth it.

I can't find anywhere on the website where it says money goes to charity. Do we know for sure who gets the money? I just see them charging $2500 and $100 a pop.......

#59 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

Who said it was for charity?

#60 LTS

LTS

Who's next?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

So that's how they roll in the 'burgh?  

You're talking about Nick right?

Posted Image

#61 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 13 July 2012 - 01:49 PM, said:

Who said it was for charity?

Nobody.....which is why I am trying to find out for sure if it is. I would assume it is. If not....you need to change the thread title to Tpegs commisions statue but fans pay for it.

#62 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 13 July 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

Nobody.....which is why I am trying to find out for sure if it is. I would assume it is. If not....you need to change the thread title to Tpegs commisions statue but fans pay for it.

lol I'm sure he's counting on the .50 left over from the hundred bucks once the plaque is made and the mason is paid to install it.

#63 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 13 July 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

lol I'm sure he's counting on the .50 left over from the hundred bucks once the plaque is made and the mason is paid to install it.

No....they are offering packages for $2500.

The plaque is a 37 cent fixture that will be glued on I am sure. They aren't engraving bricks....they are slapping nameplates on from the looks of it.

#64 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 13 July 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

The plaque is a 37 cent fixture that will be glued on I am sure. They aren't engraving bricks....they are slapping nameplates on from the looks of it.

in that case, I recant. Maybe this is the "well" tpegs was talking about. I suppose he mostly meant he would never say no to spending money. He didn't say he would always say no to making it.

#65 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,476 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 13 July 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

That's too bad.  My sis and bro-in-law have a Wrigley Field brick; it's engraved and they got one to take home as part of the deal.

#66 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

View PostEleven, on 13 July 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

That's too bad.  My sis and bro-in-law have a Wrigley Field brick; it's engraved and they got one to take home as part of the deal.

I'm still not sure......yeah, the Bills did the bricks and the actual bricks were engraved and all the money went to charity.

On the Sabres website, they just show nameplates slapped on the pre-existing brick. They put brick around the concrete pillars, so pretty much that is done.

I would like to THINK this is for charity.....

http://sabres.nhl.co...laza/brick.html

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane, 13 July 2012 - 03:13 PM.

#67 Oliver_Cromwell

Oliver_Cromwell

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

View PostBuffaloSoldier2010, on 12 July 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

I wanna see a statue of Tsujimoto.
Classic!!! :clapping:

#68 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

I got to touch the Cup when Gionta brought it to Greece, NY.

#69 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Livve Neilo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

View PostTepponator, on 13 July 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

Classic!!! :clapping:
Just when I think I know everyone, a WoW player with 3,794 posts comes out of the blue to shock my world.

Hello.

#70 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,019 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Trying to turn over a new leaf in a way, I guess. So I waited a few days to think about what I want to say about this story, lest I fly off the handle. I find myself in the same spot I was in the day the news broke: it's bugging me a bit. Troll? Contrarian? Whatever. I've heard it all before. Spare me.

I find myself thinking, 1. Holy cow, how many times has this franchise over many years found a way to honor these guys? When is enough enough? When does the past take its rightful place and recede? Terry came in with the mindset that the alumni have been crapped on all these years and he had to find a way to make things right. The truth is that the Sabres' past has been honored by every previous owner, in many ways.

And 2. This owner needs to be focused like a laser beam on creating a franchise that produces the next legendary line that will be honored, and rehonored, and rehonored, in a couple of decades. Let's glorify the present. Enough said there.

Ghost, you ask a good question about charity. I don't think revenues from two ticket price increases, the cover charge for the tent party or the ticket charge for a freakin' prospect scrimmage went to charity, do you? Terry's a good guy -- he said on day one he didn't want to ride into town and raise ticket prices -- but he has surrounded himself with some ham-handed bean counters, IMHO. Some of these moves look pretty Bush league. Yes, that's a ham, bean and Bush's comment.

My gravest fear would be that moves like the alumni plaza are meant to keep the fans focused on the glorious past and not on the mediocre present. Even I'm not there yet. But like the Penn State scandal should have taught us, you never really know what's going on in the seedy world of sports.

Edited by PASabreFan, 14 July 2012 - 08:19 AM.

#71 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,789 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 14 July 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

Trying to turn over a new leaf in a way, I guess. So I waited a few days to think about what I want to say about this story, lest I fly off the handle. I find myself in the same spot I was in the day the news broke: it's bugging me a bit. Troll? Contrarian? Whatever. I've heard it all before. Spare me.

I find myself thinking, 1. Holy cow, how many times has this franchise over many years found a way to honor these guys? When is enough enough? When does the past take its rightful place and recede? Terry came in with the mindset that the alumni have been crapped on all these years and he had to find a way to make things right. The truth is that the Sabres' past has been honored by every previous owner, in many ways.

And 2. This owner needs to be focused like a laser beam on creating a franchise that produces the next legendary line that will be honored, and rehonored, and rehonored, in a couple of decades. Let's glorify the present. Enough said there.

Ghost, you ask a good question about charity. I don't think revenues from two ticket prices increases, the cover charge for the tent party or the ticket charge for a freakin' prospect scrimmage went to charity, do you? Terry's a good guy -- he said on day one he didn't want to ride into town and raise ticket prices -- but he has surrounded himself with some ham-handed bean counters, IMHO. Some of these moves look pretty Bush league. Yes, that's a ham, bean and Bush's comment.

My gravest fear would be that moves like the alumni plaza are meant to keep the fans focused on the glorious past and not on the mediocre present. Even I'm not there yet. But like the Penn State scandal should have taught us, you never really know what's going on in the seedy world of sports.
meh.  Nothing wrong with making the arena experience a little cooler.  I just don't think that every move someone makes has to have an ulterior motive.  Maybe he just wants a statue.

#72 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,019 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

View PostSwampD, on 14 July 2012 - 08:27 AM, said:

meh.  Nothing wrong with making the arena experience a little cooler.  I just don't think that every move someone makes has to have an ulterior motive.  Maybe he just wants a statue.
If the coach wasn't an alumnus and hadn't been here for 15 years and wasn't goin' nowhere, I might feel the same way.

#73 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,138 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

PA, I think they're just following the Pittsburgh example, more or less...

#74 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,476 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

#75 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

View PostEleven, on 14 July 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

But what kind of cigar is it?  A cuban that they had to pick up in Canada?  An honduran knock off?

#76 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

I don't care if they build a statue and spruce up the walkway a little.....but it's pretty cheesey IF it's made out as some Pegula tribute when they are actually doing it as a for-profit venture by luring fans into buying 37 cent nameplates at $100 a pop to slap on an already existing brick and trying to pimp out $2500 packages to get your name on the statue and some T-shirts.

I emailed Ted Black and am awaiting a reply. If the money all goes to charity, I could easily see buying a nameplate. If not, no way in Hockey Heaven. I will wait though for a response before I assume it is a pocket lining venture.

This is what the Bills did with every penny going to the youth foundation

http://www.buffalobi...sert-plaza.html

#77 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 14 July 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

I don't care if they build a statue and spruce up the walkway a little.....but it's pretty cheesey IF it's made out as some Pegula tribute when they are actually doing it as a for-profit venture by luring fans into buying 37 cent nameplates at $100 a pop to slap on an already existing brick and trying to pimp out $2500 packages to get your name on the statue and some T-shirts.

I emailed Ted Black and am awaiting a reply. If the money all goes to charity, I could easily see buying a nameplate. If not, no way in Hockey Heaven. I will wait though for a response before I assume it is a pocket lining venture.

This is what the Bills did with every penny going to the youth foundation

http://www.buffalobi...sert-plaza.html

The Bills, for all their faults, have always been a classy organization when it comes to their charity and community involvement.

I'm not saying the Sabres are not, but they need to be forthright from the get-go.

#78 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 14 July 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

The Bills, for all their faults, have always been a classy organization when it comes to their charity and community involvement.

I'm not saying the Sabres are not, but they need to be forthright from the get-go.

The Sabres do plenty for charity.......which is why I am assuming they can't be so cheesey as to rig this for a profit. I can't find any mention of charity though.

The Bills are always good too. Ralph has found ways to slip some big checks to the community at times without any fanfare.

The players on BOTH teams are amazing off the ice. As much as I can complain about on-ice persona, there are tons of good hearted Sabres off the ice. I think the small town feel Buffalo has really helps that type of relationship.

#79 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 13 July 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

Just when I think I know everyone, a WoW player with 3,794 posts comes out of the blue to shock my world.

Hello.

lol you probably do know him; it's Crosschecking reinventing himself.  (Although I wouldn't have pegged him as a WoW player.)  ;)

#80 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Livve Neilo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

View Postbiodork, on 14 July 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

lol you probably do know him; it's Crosschecking reinventing himself.  (Although I wouldn't have pegged him as a WoW player.)  ;)
Thanks for clearing that up for me :lol: