If the Sabres were to sign Shane Doan -

Doan

• Please log in to reply
1255 replies to this topic

Poll: Doan or no Doan

Do you want him on the team at 7.5 million?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Will he sign in Buffalo?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Superhero

Superhero

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'm not sure how many more quality seasons he would have left but he would provide leadership and toughness.

I was thinking of him on a line with Grigerenko and Ott and how that line would work out.  I heard Grigerenko say that he needs to work on his draws. Ott could be on Grigerenkos line and take draws.
Doan would be a mentor on the other side to help Grogerenko become a pro. Having 2 gritty, hard working, leader, veteran wingers next to Grigerenko makes a lot of sense.

#2 sabres13

sabres13

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

Shane Doan would help the team as a whole not just Grigorenko.

He is a proven leader and has the potential to be a solid point getter for the next 2-3 years.

If Buffalo gets Shane Doan I can careless if they go after Ryan or Nash.

Doan in a sabres uniform= Best offseason ever!!

Edited by sabres13, 08 July 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#3 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,820 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

I am smitten with Superhero's avatar.

There.  I said it.

#4 sabres13

sabres13

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

View Postweave, on 08 July 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

There.  I said it.
Agreed. :wub:

#5 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,494 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

There.  I said it.

Absolutely.

As for Doan, am I the only one concerned that he only has a little left in the tank?  Remember that big, bad, leader of a defenseman the Sabres signed a little while back?

That said, I think he's got a year left in him, and I'd welcome him to the team.  He's likely to put up 50 points this year, and that would help.

#6 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,820 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostEleven, on 08 July 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

Absolutely.

As for Doan, am I the only one concerned that he only has a little left in the tank?  Remember that big, bad, leader of a defenseman the Sabres signed a little while back?

That said, I think he's got a year left in him, and I'd welcome him to the team.  He's likely to put up 50 points this year, and that would help.

Doan would be a signing for the next 2 seasons.  And I think he would be a huge difference maker for those next two seasons.  After that, I expect Armia would have his roster spot.

#7 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

Doan is exactly the type of player the Sabres desperately need.  I would sign him for 2 years, with a team option for a third.  That said, I would be pretty surprised if he were to leave the Yotes.  He's the face of the franchise and I only see him leaving if he feels that the team's future is so uncertain that he desides he's had enough of that, or if he wants a real chance at the cup, then it would probably be a tough sell for the Sabres.  He would be a good choice to play with Grigorenko.  As stated, I believe Grigorenko will be on the roster this fall.

He would be a great mentor for the young kids and would have a calming effect on the entire team.  A real professional and stand up guy, both on and off the ice.  He would be great for the Buffalo community at large.

EDIT:  I also will voice my approval of Superhero's new avatar ... :wub: .

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 08 July 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#8 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

Carey Price is Doan's cousin, so some think he might go to the Canadians.  The usual suspects are being thrown around as possible Doan destinations: Rangers, Philly, Detroit, San Jose, Kings...

If there is a bidding war, someone will certainly offer him more than 2 years.

#9 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,820 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

View PostCOSabre, on 08 July 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

Carey Price is Doan's cousin, so some think he might go to the Canadians.  The usual suspects are being thrown around as possible Doan destinations: Rangers, Philly, Detroit, San Jose, Kings...

If there is a bidding war, someone will certainly offer him more than 2 years.

Let me re-phrase.  He may get signed for more than two years but I see Doan as a guy who gets signed primarily to help (with offense anyway) in the short term, ie. about two seasons.  After that I expect his performance would drop to the point he becomes more of a role player, not unlike the change in Saku Koivu's career over the last few years.  He may still have value to a team, especially a young team, but not as a 1st line winger any more.

#10 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

There.  I said it.

Attached Files

#11 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

View Postwaldo, on 08 July 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

I like rabbits.  They are so cute and smart.

Thanks, Waldo for an extremely valuable contribution to the discussion ... seriously.

#12 carpandean

carpandean

If it ain't worth making a chart, it ain't worth saying.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,717 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 08 July 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

I would sign him for 2 years, with a team option for a third.

You'll have to wait for the new CBA if you want that.  No provision for optional years in the current one.

#13 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 08 July 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

Doan is exactly the type of player the Sabres desperately need.  I would sign him for 2 years, with a team option for a third.  That said, I would be pretty surprised if he were to leave the Yotes.  He's the face of the franchise and I only see him leaving if he feels that the team's future is so uncertain that he desides he's had enough of that, or if he wants a real chance at the cup, then it would probably be a tough sell for the Sabres.  He would be a good choice to play with Grigorenko.  As stated, I believe Grigorenko will be on the roster this fall.

He would be a great mentor for the young kids and would have a calming effect on the entire team.  A real professional and stand up guy, both on and off the ice.  He would be great for the Buffalo community at large.

EDIT:  I also will voice my approval of Superhero's new avatar ... :wub: .

From what I've read Doan is really tied to the Phoenix area. I'm pretty sure he has a horse stable and everything...loves the lifestyle out there. But with Whitney and Pyatt leaving, (despite the addition of Steve Sullivan) there's a perception that the rats are bailing out in Phoenix, that last playoff was their best shot.

#14 Superhero

Superhero

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

If the Sabres signed Doan and if Gergonsons made the team the lines could look something like this

Vanek Hodson Pommers
Foligno  Ennis Stafford
Ott  Grigerenko Doan
Gerbe Gergensons  Kaleta/Tropp

That would be a much tougher lineup for teams to play against.

It would bring a much better balance of skill, speed, grit, and leadership than we have had in the past.

Edited by Superhero, 08 July 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#15 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

View Post716, on 08 July 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

From what I've read Doan is really tied to the Phoenix area. I'm pretty sure he has a horse stable and everything...loves the lifestyle out there. But with Whitney and Pyatt leaving, (despite the addition of Steve Sullivan) there's a perception that the rats are bailing out in Phoenix, that last playoff was their best shot.
He can move back when he retires.  Right now he should be thinking about where he can go to have a shot at the Cup before his career is over.  I'm not sure that's with us, but I'd love to have him here.

#16 Patty16

Patty16

High motor grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

I love that the team is adding grit and toughness but who is going to score goals?

#17 fan2456

fan2456

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

View PostEleven, on 08 July 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

Absolutely.

Confused, since Darcy seems to try to fill his ill conceived drafting the first few years post-lockout with washed up defensemen who have trouble skating at the NHL level of today. Did you mean Rivet, Regehr or both?  And yea Darcy seems to be trying to close the barn door with old men since he was late to the party when it comes to building an NHL team in the last 5 years.  Yea, to me, Doan fits that mold and I would rather see us do nothing than waste $$$ on him for more than a year. Hence, I'm sure he would never sign here as he should be looking longterm and $$$ at this stage.  And, I don't blame him.

Edited by fan2456, 08 July 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#18 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,212 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostPatty16, on 08 July 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

I love that the team is adding grit and toughness but who is going to score goals?
The idea is that the added grit and toughness will allow Vanek, Pominville. Myers, Ehrhoff and Stafford more room to create offense. They are the guys being paid to score goals and create offense.  The Sabres are paying out $29.9 mil to those five guys this season. You can toss Leino's $6 mil on the pile to make it $35.9 for six "offensive" players.

#19 Patty16

Patty16

High motor grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostDeLuca67, on 08 July 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

The idea is that the added grit and toughness will allow Vanek, Pominville. Myers, Ehrhoff and Stafford more room to create offense. They are the guys being paid to score goals and create offense.  The Sabres are paying out $29.9 mil to those five guys this season. You can toss Leino's $6 mil on the pile to make it $35.9 for six "offensive" players.
I dont see how, its not like they've had a recent and precipitous drop off in production. It might help a little but I think the value is more in holding leads not creating them.

#20 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,212 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

View Postfan2456, on 08 July 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

Confused, since Darcy seems to try to fill his ill conceived drafting the first few years post-lockout with washed up defensemen who have trouble skating at the NHL level of today. Did you mean Rivet, Regehr or both?  And yea Darcy seems to be trying to close the barn door with old men since he was late to the party when it comes to building an NHL team in the last 5 years.  Yea, to me, Doan fits that mold and I would rather see us do nothing than waste $$$ on him for more than a year. Hence, I'm sure he would never sign here as he should be looking longterm and $$$ at this stage.  And, I don't blame him.
I have now idea what Doan is looking at as far as contracts go. I do know I want a guy like that in the organization. There hasn't been a player like that in a Sabres uniform in a long time.

#21 fan2456

fan2456

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

The sad thing is management(DR) seems to have just come to this reality in the last couple of years, while the GM's who have been winning came to reality a few years before him.

View PostDeLuca67, on 08 July 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

I have now idea what Doan is looking at as far as contracts go. I do know I want a guy like that in the organization. There hasn't been a player like that in a Sabres uniform in a long time.
  Yes, we agree.  I would just hate to waste money for 3 or more years on a guy who might be productive for one.  I'm sure we agree on what we need as we both watch the playoffs..  I still think $$$ longterm.  I could certainly be wrong as I'm no smarter tham anyone.  I'm just opinionated.

#22 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,212 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostPatty16, on 08 July 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

I dont see how, its not like they've had a recent and precipitous drop off in production. It might help a little but I think the value is more in holding leads not creating them.
Look at it this way. Imagine Ott and Kaleta hammering defensemen into the end boards on the forecheck for two periods. Third period? The blueliners are going to be a little bruised, really worn down and rushed to get the puck out before getting hit again. That's when turnovers happen and scoring chances become more plentiful. Of course that is a glamorized idea of what could happen.

View Postfan2456, on 08 July 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

The sad thing is management(DR) seems to have just come to this reality in the last couple of years, while the GM's who have been winning came to reality a few years before him.

Yes, we agree.  I would just hate to waste money for 3 or more years on a guy who might be productive for one.  I'm sure we agree on what we need as we both watch the playoffs..  I still think $$$ longterm.  I could certainly be wrong as I'm no smarter tham anyone.  I'm just opinionated.
The Sabres may be late to the party, I'm just glad they finally showed up.

#23 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

Has anyone ever seen the Mantracker episode with Doan and his brother? I've wanted him on the team since then.

#24 fan2456

fan2456

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostDeLuca67, on 08 July 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

Look at it this way. Imagine Ott and Kaleta hammering defensemen into the end boards on the forecheck for two periods. Third period? The blueliners are going to be a little bruised, really worn down and rushed to get the puck out before getting hit again. That's when turnovers happen and scoring chances become more plentiful. Of course that is a glamorized idea of what could happen.

Better late than never. Agreed!!

Edited by fan2456, 08 July 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#25 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

View Postwonderbread, on 08 July 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

Has anyone ever seen the Mantracker episode with Doan and his brother? I've wanted him on the team since then.

chz  has her own television series?

GO SABRES!!!

#26 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,494 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

View Postfan2456, on 08 July 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

Rivet.  Regehr has been just fine back there.

View PostDeLuca67, on 08 July 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

Ugh.

#27 fan2456

fan2456

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Yea, I could agree, but only because DR signed him for only two years.  But, don't you think Darcy seems to have go outside his organization to fill his drafting mistakes?  Doesn't that reflect on him negatively as a GM?  If you are running an organization you have to have a vision and a plan.  You have to see what it takes to win in the league.

Edited by fan2456, 08 July 2012 - 02:37 PM.

#28 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,055 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

View PostEleven, on 08 July 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Ugh.
Angry 11 makes me laugh.  :lol:

#29 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,212 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

View PostEleven, on 08 July 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Ugh.
I'm not saying he provides the offense, I just said that is what he is paid $4 mil to do.

#30 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,055 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

View PostK-9, on 08 July 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

chz  has her own television series?
That's two and a half men.

#31 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

View Postinkman, on 08 July 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

That's two and a half men.

What's up with the quote tag? K-9's name all jacked up?

#32 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,055 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

View Postwonderbread, on 08 July 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

What's up with the quote tag? K-9's name all jacked up?
Weird, must have something to do with Deluca'a SabreBlackhole.

#33 Patty16

Patty16

High motor grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

View PostDeLuca67, on 08 July 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

of course bc once theyre off the ice they wont be turning their backs. you need a balance of grit and scoring, i think theyve addressed one aspect but are missing the other.
I dont think adding one player is going to have other teams shaking in their skates.  We should hope there are more moves to be made.

#34 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

View Postfan2456, on 08 July 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

Yea, I could agree, but only because DR signed him for only two years.  But, don't you think Darcy seems to have go outside his organization to fill his drafting mistakes?  Doesn't that reflect on him negatively as a GM?  If you are running an organization you have to have a vision and a plan.  You have to see what it takes to win in the league.

Maybe, but you could argue that economically, it's easier to draft talent and pick up gritty role-players than the other way around.

#35 fan2456

fan2456

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Yea, but he has to do it.  He's failed  on most moves in recent years.  I  heard a call to Howard  Simon this past week which  talked about all Darcy's great trades.  They included some of the following: Briere, Juneau, Connolly, Pyatt, Barnes, Drury, Warner, Dumont et.al.  The problem is, these were all pre 2005.  That is 7 years ago.  Howie didn't call him on it.  Nor would I expect him to as the voice of the Sabres.  In essence, the last 5 years have sucked, and Howie chose to ignore that fact with the caller.  Could the moves of the last 5 months turn out great?  Sure, but who gets a 5 year sabbatical in their job?  Obama?

Edited by fan2456, 08 July 2012 - 06:56 PM.

#36 ROC Sabres

ROC Sabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

View Postfan2456, on 08 July 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

Yea, but he has to do it.  He's failed  on most moves in recent years.  I  heard a call to Howard  Simon this past week which  talked about all Darcy's great trades.  They included some of the following: Briere, Juneau, Connolly, Pyatt, Barnes, Drury, Warner, Dumont et.al.  The problem is, these were all pre 2005.  That is 7 years ago.  Howie didn't call him on it.  Nor would I expect him to as the voice of the Sabres.  In essence, the last 5 years have sucked, and Howie chose to ignore that fact with the caller.  Could the moves of the last 5 months turn out great?  Sure, but who gets a 5 year sabbatical in their job?  Obama?
You can really make the same argument if you wanted for players that are drafted.  Some pan out, others done.  Darcy doesn't exactly get handed a golden goose on a silver platter every time he calls a team looking to trade.

How many people thought that Carter and Richards being "party animals" in Philly and then going to LA eventually would work out, not to mention what LA ended up giving up for them?

#37 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

View Postfan2456, on 08 July 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

Actually, according to his boss, Tom Golisano, Darcy's only job requirement while TG owned the club was to not lose money, which he did. It's only been about 18 months since TP took over so I would bet he doesn't have to answer to his boss till the next off season.
For the record, I would have fired Darcy when I bought the club, but I can't deny he has done his job as required by his superiors.

#38 Bullwinkle III

Bullwinkle III

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

David Pagnotta twitters that Mtl and Wpg don't have a chance at Doan, despite the fact that Price is his cousin.

It seems that Doan is a fussy customer.  I know Buffalo is not on his list of teams to go to, so TP and Co. had better get the jet warmed up soon.  They're going to have to sell him and unlike Regier, but this time there are lots of other suitors.

It will be a big feather in their cap if they can pull this off.

P.S.  Superhero avatar is OK, but I still prefer chz's.  - and I'm not saying that for points.

#39 fan2456

fan2456

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

View Posttom webster, on 08 July 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

Actually, according to his boss, Tom Golisano, Darcy's only job requirement while TG owned the club was to not lose money, which he did. It's only been about 18 months since TP took over so I would bet he doesn't have to answer to his boss till the next off season.
For the record, I would have fired Darcy when I bought the club, but I can't deny he has done his job as required by his superiors.
  True.  Either we improve or hope TP loses patience,  I'm not sure where we are going.

View PostBullwinkle III, on 08 July 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

David Pagnotta twitters that Mtl and Wpg don't have a chance at Doan, despite the fact that Price is his cousin.

It seems that Doan is a fussy customer.  I know Buffalo is not on his list of teams to go to, so TP and Co. had better get the jet warmed up soon.  They're going to have to sell him and unlike Regier, but this time there are lots of other suitors.

It will be a big feather in their cap if they can pull this off.

P.S.  Superhero avatar is OK, but I still prefer chz's.  - and I'm not saying that for points.
+1

#40 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,462 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

If Doan ends up leaving Phoenix, my guess is he stays on the west coast (LA or SJ) so he's within a short flight of his family.  I'd absolutely want the Sabres to make the ultimate sales pitch (I'd happily give him 3x$5), but I'm not optimistic he goes far from Phoenix.