904 replies to this topic

#1 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,584 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

I have been listening to this show all week and I gotta say its a lot of fun to have interviews with Jeaneret and Biron and even Peters (who is surprisingly funny).  What say you sabers ppl?  Anyone else listening?  People like it better than Cowherd?

I personally love it.  I think Sylvester has a good head for hockey and he also comes at things from a fan type standpoint. He talked about Shane Doan and Parise today and I found it interesting just to hear what someone within the organization had to say.

#2 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

Even with all of the homerism; it is still good to get another 2 hours of hockey talk.

#3 ROC Sabres

ROC Sabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

I've only listened to a little bit of the show but like it so far.  But hell, I would prefer dead radio silence over Cowherd.

#4 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,720 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

View PostROC Sabres, on 27 June 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

I've only listened to a little bit of the show but like it so far.  But hell, I would prefer dead radio silence over Cowherd.

+1

#5 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,584 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

You mean you didn't love it when Coward called hockey a "niche" sport that was basically ignored by most of the american sports fans?  I would rather trade Pominville for Semin than listen to Cowherd fain interest in Hockey and talk down about it. Cowherd should just discuss football all year because thats all any espn stooge can do.

#6 Knightrider

Knightrider

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Location:Near the East end of I-290 (Unfortunately it ends on I-495)

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

Amen.

#7 ROC Sabres

ROC Sabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 27 June 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

You mean you didn't love it when Coward called hockey a "niche" sport that was basically ignored by most of the american sports fans?  I would rather trade Pominville for Semin than listen to Cowherd fain interest in Hockey and talk down about it. Cowherd should just discuss football all year because thats all any espn stooge can do.
I usually referred to it as "The Lebron James Show" with other ppl that I know who listen to him.

#8 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

Well hockey really is a ""niche" sport that was basically ignored by most of the american sports fans" but that doesn't mean it isn't the best sport.  :)

Edited by nobody, 27 June 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#9 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 27 June 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

I have been listening to this show all week and I gotta say its a lot of fun to have interviews with Jeaneret and Biron and even Peters (who is surprisingly funny).  What say you sabers ppl?  Anyone else listening?  People like it better than Cowherd?

I personally love it.  I think Sylvester has a good head for hockey and he also comes at things from a fan type standpoint. He talked about Shane Doan and Parise today and I found it interesting just to hear what someone within the organization had to say.
I have to say that I have been surprisingly enjoyng the little I have been able to listen to. However, I can't see how they can keep it interesting from mid July through late August. So far, though, thumbs up. By the way I mostly enjoyed Cowherd.

#10 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

View Posttom webster, on 27 June 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

I have to say that I have been surprisingly enjoyng the little I have been able to listen to. However, I can't see how they can keep it interesting from mid July through late August. So far, though, thumbs up. By the way I mostly enjoyed Cowherd.

Another member of the herd ... me too.

#11 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

I couldn't get behind Cowherd. I gave him multiple shots but he left me dissapointed. I have enjoyed the K Slice show for the most part. As mentioned it will be interesting to see if the show can stay fresh in the dog days of summer.

#12 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,393 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

View Postwonderbread, on 27 June 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

I couldn't get behind Cowherd. I gave him multiple shots but he left me dissapointed. I have enjoyed the K Slice show for the most part. As mentioned it will be interesting to see if the show can stay fresh in the dog days of summer.

I'm sure he'll be scouring this forum for material. Expect shows dedicated to the discussion of boobies, music, and strange diseases.

#13 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 27 June 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

I'm sure he'll be scouring this forum for material. Expect shows dedicated to the discussion of boobies, music, and strange diseases.

Maybe I will have to find him online if this is the case.

#14 fan2456

fan2456

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

I don't like Cowherd.  Yet a failure to accept the fact that hockey is a niche sport, is ostrich like. Understand, this is a comment from a 31 yr  Sabre season ticket holder who loves the game in it's pure form.

#15 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:46 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 27 June 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

Who or what are sabers?

#16 Icehole

Icehole

Goon Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

Cowherd once in a blue moon is interesting.  But you have to sift thru to much hay.  His analysis of the NBA playoffs was redundant and unoriginal if that is a word. He just repeated everything the analysts on the NBA show said and just repeated and repeated and repeated it over and over again.  I hated the NBA even more after listening to one of his last shows, yet I still like basketball.

The NHL hockey comment proves he is not a real sports fan nor is ESPN a sports network anymore.  To put down another sport just cause you don't cover it is straight political.  I like to compare ESPN programing of hockey to political debate... attack your opponent and never talk about the issue you are weak on.

Face it Cowherd and ESPN fear hockey, it hurts their bottom line.

#17 Insomniac

Insomniac

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:54 PM

I'm not a big fan of Sylvester being on the air by himself. I love listening to the guy. He knows his hockey and such, but when he's by himself it gets really dry. He needs someone there to bounce things off of. Pair him up with a solid co-host and the show will be perfect. Honestly, I'd love to have Peters join the show full time. The guy is great to listen to and I think they play off each other very well.

#18 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,825 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:03 PM

I would love a league-wide NHL show in that slot, but I'll take this.  And as others have said, I'd take just about anything over Cowherd.  Good lord.

"LeBron USC SEC LeBron Jeter Yankees Brady SEC Tiger Brady SEC LeBron."

#19 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,651 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostEleven, on 28 June 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

I would love a league-wide NHL show in that slot, but I'll take this.  And as others have said, I'd take just about anything over Cowherd.  Good lord.

"LeBron USC SEC LeBron Jeter Yankees Brady SEC Tiger Brady SEC LeBron."

You forgot Kobe :P

#20 ROC Sabres

ROC Sabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

Anyone catch the interview he had with Kaleta? It's on sabres.com but at the end of the interview he made mention to something that they were working on with MSG for broadcasting in the fall.  I'm interested to know who has the inside scope on what this could be?

#21 Hank

Hank

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

I love two hours of Sabres talk daily, I agree with the poster that having Peters as a full time co-host may make it even better. This show is long over due in Buffalo.

We seem to have alot of posters who dislike Cowherd, I'm curious why? His financial security is tied to ratings, ratings are based on the size of his audience, his audience listens because they want to hear what he's saying. He talks about what the majority of the country wants to hear.  There are lots of options on both national and local broadcasts for people to listen to, but his affiliates continue to grow.

Just curious why it seems such a large segment of posters on here seem to hate him.

#22 ROC Sabres

ROC Sabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

View PostHank, on 29 June 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

I love two hours of Sabres talk daily, I agree with the poster that having Peters as a full time co-host may make it even better. This show is long over due in Buffalo.

We seem to have alot of posters who dislike Cowherd, I'm curious why? His financial security is tied to ratings, ratings are based on the size of his audience, his audience listens because they want to hear what he's saying. He talks about what the majority of the country wants to hear.  There are lots of options on both national and local broadcasts for people to listen to, but his affiliates continue to grow.

Just curious why it seems such a large segment of posters on here seem to hate him.
Probably because WGR is the home of the Sabres and Bills and western NY and we don't care about anything else he has to say about the NBA and other sports.  Pretty much why I don't listen to Bulldogs hobby show.  If I cared about that stuff I would listen.  I really don't listen to Jim Rome that much but he is at least all over the board and not just NBA talk 90% of the time.

Edited by ROC Sabres, 29 June 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#23 Insomniac

Insomniac

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostROC Sabres, on 29 June 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

Probably because WGR is the voice of the Sabres and Bills and western NY and we don't care about anything else he has to say about the NBA and other sports.  Pretty much why I don't listen to Bulldogs hobby show.  If I cared about that stuff I would listen.  I really don't listen to Jim Rome that much but he is at least all over the board and not just NBA talk 90% of the time.

Rome is worse than Cowherd by a mile. The guy is obnoxious and spends half his time doing stupid smack talk competitions. The fact that there are people out there who spend their days writing little smack talk essays to read on the phone is one of the saddest things I've ever heard. Not to mention his show could be condensed down to 45 minutes with all the dead air between him repeating himself over and over again. I'd rather listen to that old lady on WGR on saturday mornings.

#24 ROC Sabres

ROC Sabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostInsomniac, on 29 June 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

Rome is worse than Cowherd by a mile. The guy is obnoxious and spends half his time doing stupid smack talk competitions. The fact that there are people out there who spend their days writing little smack talk essays to read on the phone is one of the saddest things I've ever heard. Not to mention his show could be condensed down to 45 minutes with all the dead air between him repeating himself over and over again. I'd rather listen to that old lady on WGR on saturday mornings.
Oh I agree. I just dislike Cowherd more because it seems like he tries to act like Rome and fails miserably.

#25 BuffaloSoldier2010

BuffaloSoldier2010

your father's brother's cousin's former roommate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

Kaleta interview today is actually pretty funny

#26 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,233 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

This is my first chance to listen to the show. Does Sylvester spend the entire two hours defending/apologizing for the Sabres?

#27 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,629 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostDeLuca67, on 02 July 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

This is my first chance to listen to the show. Does Sylvester spend the entire two hours defending/apologizing for the Sabres?

Haha!  Same exact situatuon for me.   First time for me listening to the show and Dimples is defending Ruff to the death.

#28 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,233 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 02 July 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

Haha!  Same exact situatuon for me.   First time for me listening to the show and Dimples is defending Ruff to the death.
I had to turn it off. It's a great concept for a show. Having a Sabres employee host the show is the bad idea.

#29 fan2456

fan2456

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostDeLuca67, on 02 July 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

I had to turn it off. It's a great concept for a show. Having a Sabres employee host the show is the bad idea.

That makes three of us.

#30 carpandean

carpandean

If it ain't worth making a chart, it ain't worth saying.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostDeLuca67, on 02 July 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

I've listened to several shows over the past week.  This morning has been, by far, his biggest homer moment.  He's certainly biased, as expected, but not normally to the level you heard.

Edited by carpandean, 02 July 2012 - 09:55 AM.

#31 BuffaloSoldier2010

BuffaloSoldier2010

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

Those of you listening to him between 11:05 and 11:07, hilarious, basically talked in a circle about how its "okay to disagree with me, but sometimes I'm gonna counter and disagree with what you say and ask you to back up"

#32 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

View PostEleven, on 28 June 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

Cowherd's arrogant delivery, basically "telling" you the truth about sports is unappealing and condescending.  

If they teamed up K Slice (love it) with Peters and had regular spots for Roby, Ray and RJ, I think the show would do well.  Maybe that's in the fold already just waiting until the season starts.  Hell, i'd throw Georges LaRaque in their as well.  He's entertaining.  Peters, Georges, Rayzer and John Scott can do a weekly roundtable about punching and getting punched.

#33 BuffaloSoldier2010

BuffaloSoldier2010

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

View Postinkman, on 02 July 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

Cowherd's arrogant delivery, basically "telling" you the truth about sports is unappealing and condescending.  

If they teamed up K Slice (love it) with Peters and had regular spots for Roby, Ray and RJ, I think the show would do well.  Maybe that's in the fold already just waiting until the season starts.  Hell, i'd throw Georges LaRaque in their as well.  He's entertaining.  Peters, Georges, Rayzer and John Scott can do a weekly roundtable about punching and getting punched.
:worthy:

#34 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

View Postinkman, on 02 July 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

Combine that with his love of all things NBA, 'West Coast,' front runners, repeating himself endlessly and you have my reasons for disliking his show.

Not a big deal, I know there are people that dig his schtick, but I'd rather listen to just about anything but him on the radio.

#35 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,720 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

Boyes with NY radio:
http://islanders.nhl...d=379&iid=40018

#36 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 02 July 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

clever intro music

#37 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

Today was by far the worst show he has had since he was pure defensive mode.

#38 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,825 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

View Postnobody, on 02 July 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

I'm not even sure I heard a word he said.  It was like mindless babbling in the background.

It still wasn't Cowherd, though, and that's a plus.

#39 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

View Postnobody, on 02 July 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

When i heard about this show, it was common sense that this was just a propaganda Sabres show, but todays show was brutal. Even this show needs to realize not every single caller and listener is a kool-aid drinking fan. For Sylvester to pour on Brad Boyes and support Lindy Ruff is ridiculous. I hated Boyes, and he was awful here but Ruff/Regier brought him here, and Ruff is far from a perfect head coach. Sylvester making Ruff sound like the greatest coach since slice bread earlier today was disgusting.

#40 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,720 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

Even this homer thought it was over the top.