#1 \GoBillsInDallas/

\GoBillsInDallas/

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 249 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

http://www.vancouver...0714/story.html

Edited by \GoBillsInDallas/, 26 June 2012 - 04:17 AM.

#2 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

Git-r-done, Darcy!

MAGs is that one player we need to put us over the top.

GO SABRES!!!

#3 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostK-9, on 25 June 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

Git-r-done, Darcy!

MAGs is that one player we need to put us over the top.

GO SABRES!!!

:clapping:

#4 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

nice enough of a kid, but i sense a career in the KHL is in his future.

and, not for nothin, but bully for darcy on getting a serviceable [4/]6/7+ d-man out of that part of the deal.

#5 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,840 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

I'm too lazy to do the math, but all it would have taken was a qualifying offer somewhere around the range of $600k.  That says a lot.

#6 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 25 June 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

and, not for nothin, but bully for darcy on getting a serviceable [4/]6/7+ d-man out of that part of the deal.

If Sulzer and Hodgson both put up even a halfway decent season, Vancouver fans are going to go ape.

I'm so glad Darcy was sly enough to move Grags. He must have seen what we did.

#7 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

Kain refused the sacrifice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 25 June 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

He will find a home, his a serviceable dman just no room in our or the Nucks team. His offensive potential is still decent so a team needing that will no doubt take a chance on him.

#8 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

Gragnani...only showed very occasional flashes of that offensive skill and was clearly a liability at the defensive end.

No ######.

#9 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

View PostRazielSabre, on 25 June 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

He will find a home, his a serviceable dman just no room in our or the Nucks team. His offensive potential is still decent so a team needing that will no doubt take a chance on him.

I disagree that he was serviceable, unless by serviceable you mean he was capable of ice skating.  Because other than that, he was a complete liability in every possible way.

#10 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 25 June 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

I disagree that he was serviceable, unless by serviceable you mean he was capable of ice skating.  Because other than that, he was a complete liability in every possible way.

Exactly. Gragnani's " strength as a hockey player is his offensive upside, and if he couldn't have any kind of success with the all offensive Vancouver Canucks, then his career is even more doomed then Tim Kennedy's.

#11 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

either your high or you are the most optimistic person on the earth lol. I would post my feeling about MAG's but I think I have covered it pretty good the last couple times I commmented on him

#12 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

Mags will sign in Edmonton where they need D-men badly and in 3 years will win the cup before our very own Buffalo Sabres. :blink:

Did I just say that ?

#13 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

Obviously this is Lindy's fault.

#14 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

View Postbunomatic, on 25 June 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

Mags will sign in Edmonton where they need D-men badly and in 3 years will win the cup before our very own Buffalo Sabres. :blink:

Did I just say that ?

Is that "they need D-men bad" or "they need bad D-men?"

It would be just as effective for the Oilers to make a defenseman out of Nugent-Hopkins.

GO SABRES!!!

#15 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostK-9, on 25 June 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

Is that "they need D-men bad" or "they need bad D-men?"

It would be just as effective for the Oilers to make a defenseman out of Nugent-Hopkins.

GO SABRES!!!
Well they do have an abundance of 1st round (#1 pick) forwards

#16 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Bittersweet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

View Postwonderbread, on 25 June 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

Obviously this is Lindy's fault.

I rescued a dog from the pound that used to get beaten. I can guarantee you it took her more than 2 months to fully trust again.

I agree....watch Philly sign him.

The show he put on against them in the playoffs plus the French connection of coach and ex Sabres who have their own opinion of Lindy........that's my guess

#17 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 25 June 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

So you think no GM in the league will take a gamble on a cheap player who put up almost a point per game in his first and only playoffs? This kid is nothing more than Wideman 5 seasons ago, he could be nothing but a liability but he could also be a decent 5/6 dman for a team needing depth.

I hasten to add I think he isn't going to be anything more than a 6/7 dman for his career but I was just making a point.

Edited by RazielSabre, 26 June 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#18 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

View PostRazielSabre, on 26 June 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

So you think no GM in the league will take a gamble on a cheap player who put up almost a point per game in his first and only playoffs? This kid is nothing more than Wideman 5 seasons ago, he could be nothing but a liability but he could also be a decent 5/6 dman for a team needing depth.

I hasten to add I think he isn't going to be anything more than a 6/7 dman for his career but I was just making a point.

For a bad team needing a 6/7, I'm sure he'll get a shot.  But no team worth its salt is going to sign him as a UFA.  As far as his playoffs are concerned...I'll take the sample size of an entire season over 1 series.

#19 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

I don't understand Gragnani.  He looked so comfortable and smooth in that playoff series, and then he followed it up with one of the worst regular season performances I've ever seen.  And I'm still mad at him for springing Giroux.

#20 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 26 June 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

I don't understand Gragnani.  He looked so comfortable and smooth in that playoff series, and then he followed it up with one of the worst regular season performances I've ever seen.  And I'm still mad at him for springing Giroux.

cue danny gare with his awesome pronunciation of "confidence."

seriously. so, so much of the game at that high of a level is mental. and not just mental from MAG's standpoint; mental from the standpoint of his opponents as well, who did not yet know how to exploit him when he stepped in against the bruins.

#21 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 26 June 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

For a bad team needing a 6/7, I'm sure he'll get a shot.  But no team worth its salt is going to sign him as a UFA.  As far as his playoffs are concerned...I'll take the sample size of an entire season over 1 series.

He'd probably crack NYI's top 4 I'd say. Thats not saying much I know but not every team has the talent level of the Nucks, bottom feeders or teams needing a cheap pickup will look to players like him. Hell even teams with no money needing to reach the cap floor will look at him. Nashville stand to lose Weber AND Suter, I bet their just one team keeping their options open.

I know we dislike him because of how dangerous he was in his own zone last year but not every GM will agree with us.

#22 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

hell, red wings are pretty desperate even who knows :P

#23 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

So... does this essentially mean we won this trade ? or does this mean Kassian has to turn out that much better for the nucks in order to outshine both Cody and Sulzer ? Obviously Gragnani is a wash.

#24 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:48 AM

Gags speaks French.

Montreal, he's all yours.

#25 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:11 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 26 June 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

So... does this essentially mean we won this trade ? or does this mean Kassian has to turn out that much better for the nucks in order to outshine both Cody and Sulzer ? Obviously Gragnani is a wash.

OK I'll never get this but here goes: Why must we win the trade, surely there is nothing wrong with a mutually benificial trade? This isn't directed at you Buno but a general point. In fact I would say one that is beneficial for both parties is better as we are more likely to have a good relationship with that person in the future. :)

#26 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:33 AM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 26 June 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

cue danny gare with his awesome pronunciation of "confidence."

seriously. so, so much of the game at that high of a level is mental. and not just mental from MAG's standpoint; mental from the standpoint of his opponents as well, who did not yet know how to exploit him when he stepped in against the bruins.
He played against the Flyers, actually.  Ennis was the rookie that lead the team in points against the Bruins.

#27 Meathead

Meathead

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:24 AM

based on what happened after the trade the only word to describe what darcy did to vancouver is related to sheering of the woollen coat of a domestic sheep

unfortunately the sabres ѕhit the bed so theres no playoff stats to compare, but for regular season contributions the sabres clearly won. besides, kassian only played about five minutes a game for vancouver in the playoffs and mags didnt even suit up. given how sultzer was getting nearly twenty minutes a game and hodgson about eighteen id say they were integral parts of the team and would have received far more minutes than that had the sabres made the postseason

or a long-haired goat

#28 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

View PostAndrew Amerk, on 27 June 2012 - 01:48 AM, said:

Gags speaks French.

Montreal, he's all yours.

Isn't he from Monteal?  Not sure, but if so, there you go.

#29 Santa Claus

Santa Claus

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,862 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 27 June 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

Isn't he from Monteal?  Not sure, but if so, there you go.

He is.

#30 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

View PostRazielSabre, on 27 June 2012 - 03:11 AM, said:

OK I'll never get this but here goes: Why must we win the trade, surely there is nothing wrong with a mutually benificial trade? This isn't directed at you Buno but a general point. In fact I would say one that is beneficial for both parties is better as we are more likely to have a good relationship with that person in the future. :)

I don't think you "win" the trade by your pieces being better than their pieces. You win the trade by your pieces helping your team more than the old pieces helped your team. I think we're winning because we traded a scratch for a 20-minute defensemen and a slow developing fwd for a starting center. I think the trade was a push for VAN on the defensive front since they traded a scratch for a scratch. The other side, they may still win if Kassian develops, because Cody was going nowhere in the organisation.

#31 OverPowerYou

OverPowerYou

And Ottawa Must BE Destroyed...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

So let me get this straight, we pretty much traded

Chris Butler
Gaustad
Gragnani
Kassian
Paul Byron
Our 2nd round pick
Our 2nd 1st round pick

For:

Hodgson
Calgarys 2nd round pick
Regehr
Sulzer
Girgensons(Nashville's 1st round pick that we "stole," literally.)

That's sick

Edited by OverPowerYou, 27 June 2012 - 09:12 AM.

#32 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostOverPowerYou, on 27 June 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

Brad Chris Butler
Gaustad
Gragnani
Kassian
Paul Byron
Calgary's  our 2nd pick
Our 2nd 1st round pick

For:

Hodgson
Calgarys 2nd round pick
Regehr
Sulzer
Girgensons

That's sick
Yeah, Sick.

Edited by LastPommerFan, 27 June 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#33 BuffaloSoldier2010

BuffaloSoldier2010

your father's brother's cousin's former roommate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

chris butler, but yes.

#34 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

View PostMeathead, on 27 June 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

based on what happened after the trade the only word to describe what darcy did to vancouver is related to sheering of the woollen coat of a domestic sheep

unfortunately the sabres ѕhit the bed so theres no playoff stats to compare, but for regular season contributions the sabres clearly won. besides, kassian only played about five minutes a game for vancouver in the playoffs and mags didnt even suit up. given how sultzer was getting nearly twenty minutes a game and hodgson about eighteen id say they were integral parts of the team and would have received far more minutes than that had the sabres made the postseason

or a long-haired goat
To be fair, Sulzer was putting in those kind of minutes because of injuries to the defence. He was a pleasant surprise when he played and actually looked good out there. The Sulzer part of the deal was more about luck, then the Front Office knowing about a "diamond in the rough" and stealing him away for nothing. If the defence stayed healthy, he probably would have spent as much time as Mags did in the press box.

#35 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 27 June 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

I don't think you "win" the trade by your pieces being better than their pieces. You win the trade by your pieces helping your team more than the old pieces helped your team. I think we're winning because we traded a scratch for a 20-minute defensemen and a slow developing fwd for a starting center. I think the trade was a push for VAN on the defensive front since they traded a scratch for a scratch. The other side, they may still win if Kassian develops, because Cody was going nowhere in the organisation.

Right ok, I'm taking the word 'win' a tad literally then.

View Postapuszczalowski, on 27 June 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

To be fair, Sulzer was putting in those kind of minutes because of injuries to the defence. He was a pleasant surprise when he played and actually looked good out there. The Sulzer part of the deal was more about luck, then the Front Office knowing about a "diamond in the rough" and stealing him away for nothing. If the defence stayed healthy, he probably would have spent as much time as Mags did in the press box.

I hate to be negative but Sulzer was good but his still only a 5/6/7 dman, we did get lucky and he did well but his still got it all to prove. He did well, but so did Boyes when he first got here.

#36 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:57 AM

View PostRazielSabre, on 27 June 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

I think most people try to compare it the other way though. Like it's better if your dump crap on the other team and they suffer for it or something. So I think your definition of "win" is the more widely accepted definition.

#37 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

View PostOverPowerYou, on 27 June 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

Chris Butler
Gaustad
Gragnani
Kassian
Paul Byron
Our 2nd round pick
Our 2nd 1st round pick

For:

Hodgson
Calgarys 2nd round pick
Regehr
Sulzer
Girgensons(Nashville's 1st round pick that we "stole," literally.)

That's sick
I also wouldn't really call that "Sick"
If you break the deal down it looks good for Buffalo, but not exactly "Sick"

they pretty much swapped 2nds with Calgary, traded one forward with scoring/physical potential for a Centre with potential, Lucked into a decent bottom pair defencmen, brought in a former physical defencemen who appears to be on the backside of his career and swapping a first round pick, costing them a couple prospects and one of the better faceoff guys in the league. Thats not bad, but its not like they traded away an Brad Boyes for Ovechkin, now that would be Sick.......

View PostRazielSabre, on 27 June 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

I hate to be negative but Sulzer was good but his still only a 5/6/7 dman, we did get lucky and he did well but his still got it all to prove. He did well, but so did Boyes when he first got here.
Thats stretching it a little Lol. he had the usual DR deadline pickup start. Player comes in, everyones excited because of the potential steal of a player that may "just need a change of scenery", he has a good game or 2 to start and then they go back to being the player that the other team gave up on.

That was my point about Sulzer. He was a throw in that wasn't expected to play much if any, and injuries put him in a situation to play alot of minutes and he turned out to be a pretty good bottom pairing defencemen. Nothing spectacular, but solid and hopefully he continues to play like that for them instead of regressing

#38 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 27 June 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

I also wouldn't really call that "Sick"
If you break the deal down it looks good for Buffalo, but not exactly "Sick"

they pretty much swapped 2nds with Calgary, traded one forward with scoring/physical potential for a Centre with potential, Lucked into a decent bottom pair defencmen, brought in a former physical defencemen who appears to be on the backside of his career and swapping a first round pick, costing them a couple prospects and one of the better faceoff guys in the league. Thats not bad, but its not like they traded away an Brad Boyes for Ovechkin, now that would be Sick.......

Thats stretching it a little Lol. he had the usual DR deadline pickup start. Player comes in, everyones excited because of the potential steal of a player that may "just need a change of scenery", he has a good game or 2 to start and then they go back to being the player that the other team gave up on.

That was my point about Sulzer. He was a throw in that wasn't expected to play much if any, and injuries put him in a situation to play alot of minutes and he turned out to be a pretty good bottom pairing defencemen. Nothing spectacular, but solid and hopefully he continues to play like that for them instead of regressing

Ok, my point was just to set expectations, I got a feeling everyone is expecting him to be a good top 4 defensemen, whereas I say if he was that he would have been that by now.

#39 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:03 AM

Kassian is going to turn out to be a bust.

Hodgson is going to have a breakout season this year.

Watch.

#40 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:43 AM

View PostAndrew Amerk, on 28 June 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

Hodgson is going to have a breakout season this year.

Watch.

I'm hopeful, but not sold.  I like that he's busting his ass with Gary Roberts over the summer, that's good.  Regardless of other roster moves at center, Hodgson's going to be put in a position where he'll have to play a two way game.  Will that translate into offensive stats?  Unless he's responsible in the defensive zone, he won't get the minutes/opportunities to find out.  I really want him to succeed and reach his potential, so it'll be fun to watch him.