Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,439 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

View Post716, on 15 September 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

I see Carolina waived Gragnani.

Yeah, that's the MAG to whom I was referring.

#602 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostHank, on 15 September 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

Apologies if this was discussed somewhere else. Also not sure on the best place to put this, but since he was mentioned up thread...

Anger management was picked up for a 2nd season. I don't believe having a wife he don't live with and rarely sees can not effect miller mentally and emotionally. I'm  now on the trade miller bandwagon.
What, you think he can't get FX where he lives? ;)

#603 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Not sure where else to put this, but the OHL is going to start suspending players who fight more than 10 times in a season.  Thoughts?  Any chance it trickles up to the NHL at some point?

#604 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,137 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 19 September 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

Not sure where else to put this, but the OHL is going to start suspending players who fight more than 10 times in a season.  Thoughts?  Any chance it trickles up to the NHL at some point?

I like it.

#605 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 19 September 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

Seems inevitable.  I'm not fond of it but I understand why.  Now that I have a son who is old enough to play in the CHL I get a mixed emotion about watching those kids drop their gloves.  I am thoroughly entertained by a good scrap.  I imagine that will never change for me.  But watching a couple 16 yr old go at it with recless abandon gives me pause today.  Turn them loose as pros and I am OK with it though.  The pros at least understand the risks involved and are being well compensated for it.

BTW- 23 players had 10 or more fights in the NHl last season, the leaders tied with 20 each.  What is interesting about the list of last seasons most active fighters is, unlike other recent years, there are a good deal of guys in that list that actually play hockey, that are good for more than just gooning it up.

Edited by weave, 19 September 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#606 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,425 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

They won't be suspended if they don't instigate the fights over 10.

#607 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,667 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

View Postweave, on 19 September 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Seems inevitable.  I'm not fond of it but I understand why.  Now that I have a son who is old enough to play in the CHL I get a mixed emotion about watching those kids drop their gloves.  I am thoroughly entertained by a good scrap.  I imagine that will never change for me.  But watching a couple 16 yr old go at it with recless abandon gives me pause today.  Turn them loose as pros and I am OK with it though.  The pros at least understand the risks involved and are being well compensated for it.

BTW- 23 players had 10 or more fights in the NHl last season, the leaders tied with 20 each.  What is interesting about the list of last seasons most active fighters is, unlike other recent years, there are a good deal of guys in that list that actually play hockey, that are good for more than just gooning it up.

Quite honestly, I'd much rather they outright ban it at the CHL level.  Dish out a game misconduct for a fight and be done with it, no suspension unless it's over the top.  I think that would go a long way to stopping the stupid choreographed fights.  You'll still get those spontaneous, heat of the moment fights, but then that's it.

#608 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

View Postweave, on 19 September 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Interesting.  Just more evidence that the traditional enforcer is being eliminated from the game.

View Postspndnchz, on 19 September 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

Bah, doubt it makes much of a difference then.  I'm with Shrader, I'd rather it just get banned in juniors rather than implementing symbolic half-measures.

In other news, NHL preseason official cancelled.  Shocking, I know.

#609 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 19 September 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

Chz, I read it differently.  My understanding is, *IF* there is an instigator penalty called, the non-instigating player won't have the fight count towards a suspension if they are at or over 10 fights already.  So, mutual decision fights still count towards the suspension.

#610 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,425 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

I'm unpinning this thread since nothing can happen as far as trades and ###### until the lockout ends.

Feel free to start threads on OHL and the like...

#611 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,425 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

NY Islanders Owner Charles B. Wang, Barclays Center Majority Owner and Developer Bruce Ratner, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman, Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz, Islanders General Manager Garth Snow, and Barclays Center and Brooklyn Nets CEO Brett Yormark all gathering for a meeting today to make a "major announcement".

Hmmmm.

Hello Brooklyn?

#612 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 24 October 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

NY Islanders Owner Charles B. Wang, Barclays Center Majority Owner and Developer Bruce Ratner, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman, Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz, Islanders General Manager Garth Snow, and Barclays Center and Brooklyn Nets CEO Brett Yormark all gathering for a meeting today to make a "major announcement".

Hmmmm.

Hello Brooklyn?

That's only a good thing if it involves "Goodbye Wang"....which surely it does not.  A new arena won't wipe away the stench of his ownership.

#613 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 24 October 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

That's only a good thing if it involves "Goodbye Wang"....which surely it does not.  A new arena won't wipe away the stench of his ownership.

The phrase "goodbye Wang" very rarely indicates good things.

#614 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,425 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 24 October 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

Don't know about Wang but the Islanders are playing in Brooklyn in 2015.

#615 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Talks from a few weeks ago are Lafontaine has been asked to look into buying the team from Wang, but he wants a crazy hgh price for the team

I just read something yesterday too that Lafontaine is still looking into it and getting closer to making a serious attempt to try and buy the team.

The problem with Wang as an owner is that he has been focusing more on trying to get the new arena deal (something that team needs BADLY) and not focusing enough on the product being put on the ice. The team seems to be getting close to a playoff team. They have some good players, but just cant seem to get to that next level

#616 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 24 October 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Just read that Barclays only holds 14,500 for hockey.  Yikes.  Although unless the Isles suddenly become good, that will probably help the atmosphere, and it's not like they were a revenue-generating machine anyway.

#617 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 24 October 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

I find the bold exceptionally hard to believe.

#618 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 24 October 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

....not that there's anything wrong with that

View PostLastPommerFan, on 24 October 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

And you are on a roll today!

#619 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,425 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 24 October 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

Just read that Barclays only holds 14,500 for hockey.  Yikes.  Although unless the Isles suddenly become good, that will probably help the atmosphere, and it's not like they were a revenue-generating machine anyway.

Islanders only get on average about 13,000 a game so it fits well.

View PostLastPommerFan, on 24 October 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

I really set myself up there didn't I.

#620 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

I can see alot of sporting venues going to slightly smaller capacities in the future, especially in smaller markets. The Jets are playing in a rink about this size right now. It would allow teams to charge a little more on their tickets to make up for lost revenue also by not having the larger seating capacity. With the current economic times, and the increase in quality of broadcasts to homes of the games, I could see teams going to smaller facilities in the future outside of places like NY, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Etc.

#621 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 24 October 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

I assumed it was intentional.

#622 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

Brooklyn Islanders?

While technically correct, I don't like the sound of it.

#623 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 24 October 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

Islanders only get on average about 13,000 a game so it fits well.

I see it as the best deal for the Islanders. You get out of one of the worst arenas in the league, stay close enough to your current location that its not a 'relocation" and you get to play in a brand new facility that you didn't have to build yourself. When economic times get better, and either Long Island or the team can afford it, they can build a new "Hockey Only" Facility to play in

The problem is that local governments and cities can't expect the teams to stay where they are if they aren't willing to help them out. Why would you be willing to stay somewhere that isn't going to help you out when there are other places willing to give you want your asking for? owners can sometimes try and take advantage of this, but people need to realise that its all a business and these owners didn't make their money by being generous and paying for everything themselves. Long Island does want to work with Wang and help him build a new facility, why should he be forced to stay there when another city can give him what he is asking for? Same with Edmonton (although that one seems to be falling into the second part about an owner trying to take advantage), if Edmonton doesn't want to help but Seattle will, its gonna suck if your an oilers fan..........

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 24 October 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

Brooklyn Islanders?

They would stick with the NY name I would bet, Brooklyn is a part of New York just like Long Island is. The Nets changed names to Brooklyn because technically they are no longer in New Jersey.
It would make more sense to change the "Islanders" part......

#624 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,425 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 24 October 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

I assumed it was intentional.

Nah.  Not much laughing for me lately.  It hurts.

#625 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 24 October 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

They would stick with the NY name I would bet, Brooklyn is a part of New York just like Long Island is. The Nets changed names to Brooklyn because technically they are no longer in New Jersey.

Since Brooklyn is on Long Island, I bet they just keep the team's name as it is.

Also, I don't see the Oil leaving Edmonton.

View Postspndnchz, on 24 October 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

Sorry to hear you have still not recovered ...  I assume you are talking about your rib issue.

#626 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,425 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

John Davidson hired as President of Columbus Blue Jackets made official today.  CBJ can't get a break, Islanders trump the news today.

#627 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 24 October 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

Ribs suck, My wife carried our first son very high, so high that eventually he grew and broke 2 of her ribs. Needless to say, that made labor rather interesting (read: horrifically cruel). Turns out a spinal block at the small of your back does not numb your rib cage.

#628 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,530 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 24 October 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

I'm going to stick my head out without looking at a map, risking a beauty pageant "US Americans" moment... but unless I'm seriously senile already, Brooklyn is on Long Island. *Crossing my fingers and going to google maps"

#629 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,667 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

Wang does suck and all, but to be fair, I don't think anyone was going to make that whole situation work.

#630 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 24 October 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

I'm going to stick my head out without looking at a map, risking a beauty pageant "US Americans" moment... but unless I'm seriously senile already, Brooklyn is on Long Island. *Crossing my fingers and going to google maps"
I'm just going to stick with my Canadian Geography classes not going into too much detail about the American holy land that is NY to explain me not being certain that Brooklyn was part of Long Island.......

#631 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 24 October 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

I'm just going to stick with my Canadian Geography classes not going into too much detail about the American holy land that is NY to explain me not being certain that Brooklyn was part of Long Island.......

I suppose you'll also claim that as the excuse for how you didn't know that the Tomahawk Lagoon lies on the eastern edge of the New Zealand city of Dunedin.

#632 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

View Postshrader, on 24 October 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

Wang does suck and all, but to be fair, I don't think anyone was going to make that whole situation work.

No, but it's kind of like saving a terminal cancer patient from a heart attack....sure you're still alive, but you also still have cancer.

#633 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 24 October 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

I suppose you'll also claim that as the excuse for how you didn't know that the Tomahawk Lagoon lies on the eastern edge of the New Zealand city of Dunedin.
Nah, I knew that one

#634 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,103 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 24 October 2012 - 09:42 AM, said:

Talks from a few weeks ago are Lafontaine has been asked to look into buying the team from Wang, but he wants a crazy hgh price for the team

I just read something yesterday too that Lafontaine is still looking into it and getting closer to making a serious attempt to try and buy the team.

The problem with Wang as an owner is that he has been focusing more on trying to get the new arena deal (something that team needs BADLY) and not focusing enough on the product being put on the ice. The team seems to be getting close to a playoff team. They have some good players, but just cant seem to get to that next level

If the team is half-decent, they will make a ton of money in that arena.  It has all the club seats, boxes, concessions and other amenities they need.

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 24 October 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

Brooklyn Islanders?

I'm pretty sure they'll stick with NY Islanders.

#635 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,425 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

Looks like the NY Rangers will need to give the okay for Islanders move.  MSG is only 5 miles away.

In other news, a Zamboni was seen driving from Nassau Coliseum to Barclay's Center today... dragging Yashin's contract behind it.

#636 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

So the Rangers have to say OK but the BofG don't?

Dan Rosen@drosennhl
Just an FYI, the Islanders move to Brooklyn does not require Board of Governors approval because they are moving within their territory.

#637 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Speaking of the Rangers, how do the fan loyalties get divided in Brooklyn? I gotta believe it's mostly Rangers with a smattering of Devils. But there's gotta be a fair amount of Brooklynites that came of age during the Islander glory years, too. \

GO SABRES!!!

#638 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,454 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 24 October 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

Looks like the NY Rangers will need to give the okay for Islanders move.  MSG is only 5 miles away.

In other news, a Zamboni was seen driving from Nassau Coliseum to Barclay's Center today... dragging Yashin's contract behind it.
I heard DiPietro was driving.  They at least wanted to get some work out of him.

I'm actually kinda psyched about this.  I go to almost every Sabres game at the Rock, most at MSG, but have never gone to the Mausoleum.  I will definitely go to see the Sabres when they are in Brooklyn.

#639 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

View PostK-9, on 24 October 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Speaking of the Rangers, how do the fan loyalties get divided in Brooklyn? I gotta believe it's mostly Rangers with a smattering of Devils. But there's gotta be a fair amount of Brooklynites that came of age during the Islander glory years, too. \

GO SABRES!!!

Well, I know one Brooklynite on this board that would have grown up in those glory years.  Not sure about back then, but I'm pretty sure he hates all the teams mentioned now.

Can anyone guess to which member I am referring?

#640 MattPie

MattPie

Driver move out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Old Brooklyn: "Hey, yo, vinnie, what the ######, we got a hockey team now?"
Coney Island: "Dah, we having the hockey now, Sergei and Tatianna."
Park Slope: "I liked hockey before it was cool."
Everyone else: "What's hockey?"